The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Behringer Monopoly
Old 29th November 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowkast View Post
I have always wanted a trio of old Korgs: MonoPoly, PolySix, Trident. I'm sure there's tons of overlap, but these just sound so amazing. I've had some software versions but these girls got mojo. Very anxious to try the hardware.
I love Korg's brute force polyphony approach in their early poly attempts (PS-3100). Each key is more or less it's own monosynth (the main oscillator is top octave/divide down though). I wish Behringer would try to replicate THAT in a modern cone!
Old 29th November 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FixMy106 View Post
I've got a Mono/Poly with the Tubbutec kit, which greatly enhances the synth with new voice modes, a polyphonic sequencer and more goodies bringing it into the 21st century basically. The original is a good piece of kit, but with the Tubbutec mod it's a monster!

I wonder if Behringer will incorporate any of that into their M/P or just copy the vanilla one.
The tubbutec mod is fantastic -- especially the two random oscillator poly modes, the hidden sample and hold LFO, and the crazy-good polychord mode (especially when used with the arp/sequencer).
Old 29th November 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowkast View Post
I have always wanted a trio of old Korgs: MonoPoly, PolySix, Trident. I'm sure there's tons of overlap, but these just sound so amazing. I've had some software versions but these girls got mojo. Very anxious to try the hardware.

I always loved how Kebu used old Korgs .

This cover really embraces the MP + Polysix's strengths.

Old 3rd December 2019
Lives for gear

Uli, if you happen to be reading this, could you give us a tiny weeny glimmer of hope as to whether you are going to do a Monopoly 'type' synth or not?

Don't want to put you on the spot so you don't have to answer of course

...on a totally different unrelated subject, what is your favourite colour these days?
Old 4th December 2019
Lives for gear

I am ready to buy this today

Got good coin

Where to buy ? show me and i order
Old 13th December 2019
Lives for gear

So, hopefully have one of these in my room by the summer? Yeah?
Old 14th December 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dublave View Post
So, hopefully have one of these in my room by the summer? Yeah?
I doubt they would do one so close to the Poly D, as it is in essence a very similar product, and the last thing they want is people dithering between the 2.

Better to let the Poly D sales dies down then do something. Just a thought.
Old 14th December 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by flat View Post
Just a thought.
Why ya trying to break my heart
Old 14th December 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drockfresh View Post
Uli is the Bill Bellicheck of synths

Dude is relentless and so much winning
Maybe not the best comparison. Haven't the New England Patriots been caught cheating on several occasions?
Old 14th December 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum7 View Post
Maybe not the best comparison. Haven't the New England Patriots been caught cheating on several occasions?
Cheating... but still winning
Old 2nd January 2020
Gear Maniac

I've been buying synthesizers and similar for well over 35yrs now, and have probably spent enough on my hobby to buy a small house. I can understand why people feel that Uli is in some way ripping other brands off, but really he's just being open about a practice that has always existed.

Realistic and the MG-1, Alesis Midiverb/Quadraverb were just the poor man's PCM60/70, - they even used the same colour scheme, Doepfer MS-404 was a 303 substitute as was the novation bass-station, and let's not forget their Drum Station which was essentially an attempt to create an 808/909 in one, Studio Electronics had their MidiMoog and ATC and just look at all their BoomStar gear, Arp stole Moogs filter design, the Octave Cat was based on the Arp Odyssey, - and how many
Eurocrack modules are based on designs of yesteryear? The list is endless really.

I feel one of the things that really rattles people's cages is the fact that Uli is doing it so well, and for so little, that he is lifting the veil of elitism that has come to rise over recent years. As someone who's retired and finds money tight, having this last chance to lose myself in the sonic possibilities of the synthesizers that got away really is something I didntbfeel was ever going to happen. For the last 30+ years all the big names have had ample time to give the professionals, and the consumers, what they wanted, and to a large degree, they didn't. I like the Boutiques, don't like the Volcas', I like Doepfer and the reasonably priced eurocrack, but refuse to buy from brands that, now have had massive success, refuse to pass that success on to the customer.

I'm more a sound and substance junkie, than a musician and, "producer", - a word that seems to have lost all meaning since the inception of social media btw, but still I'm extremely grateful that Uli is passing on his success to the customer, consumer, professional musician, whatever. Like I've said else where I only currently own the K2, but I will be buying more Behringer this year for sure.

There's always going to be those for and those against, - but when those against do finally get down off their moral high horses, and realise just how long others, like myself, have been shafted and extorted by big name companies, and some small, for sometimes subpar products that don't deliver what they promise... well, perhaps then we can talk about morals...

Until then, ~ love to ALL, feel no hate.

E
Old 2nd January 2020
Gear Guru

A friend of mine just messaged me saying Behry confirmed a MonoPoly was coming, but I can't find any recent news that backs this up.
Old 8th January 2020
Lives for gear

This one really would be a treat. I was just looking at prices for the original on Reverb and trying to hold back the tears. The only one in the US right now is "Good" condition and $3k+. That's absurd!

Uli, please make my synth dreams come true and make this happen within the year please
Old 9th January 2020
Lives for gear

3k wha
Old 9th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
This one really would be a treat. I was just looking at prices for the original on Reverb and trying to hold back the tears. The only one in the US right now is "Good" condition and $3k+. That's absurd!

Uli, please make my synth dreams come true and make this happen within the year please
I paid 100.- at the flea market
was probably the bargain of the century
Old 9th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pppch View Post
I paid 100.- at the flea market
was probably the bargain of the century

How long ago was this?
Old 9th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:

How long ago was this?
20 years +/- I don't really know that anymore.
but I also bought two polysix at the time. the one about 200.- the other 150.-, that was all analog garbage, nobody wanted anymore
Old 9th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pppch View Post
20 years +/- I don't really know that anymore.
but I also bought two polysix at the time. the one about 200.- the other 150.-, that was all analog garbage, nobody wanted anymore
My synth journey started shortly after that. But unfortunately I had two factors working against me. 1) I was far too broke to afford even the really cheap stuff, and 2) I was too dumb and unversed on all of the options out there so I was only really looking out for the popular stuff that was already skyrocketing in price. If I only knew then what I know now...
Old 9th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
My synth journey started shortly after that. But unfortunately I had two factors working against me. 1) I was far too broke to afford even the really cheap stuff, and 2) I was too dumb and unversed on all of the options out there so I was only really looking out for the popular stuff that was already skyrocketing in price. If I only knew then what I know now...
I hope you bought at least a jp8000 or nl1
they were hip at the time
Old 9th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosive.Abuser View Post
I've been buying synthesizers and similar for well over 35yrs now, and have probably spent enough on my hobby to buy a small house. I can understand why people feel that Uli is in some way ripping other brands off, but really he's just being open about a practice that has always existed.

Realistic and the MG-1
Are you implying that the MG-1 was a Moog rip-off?
Old 9th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by flat View Post
My only hope is the arpeggiator and how it makes the MP so special isn't replaced with the basic Arp/Seq they seem to be tacking on most of their new synths. That could really screw up what makes the MP so cool.
The Poly-D's arpeggiator in poly mode seems to function similarly to the Mono/Poly's so there's a good chance they'll replicate the 'cycle through the oscillators with different waveforms and footages' functionality.

To me, what makes the Mono/Poly special is the selective pitch bend of just oscillator 1 by the pitch and mod wheels. Tune the pitch and mod amounts to be a fourth or fifth and put the MG/LFO on a s-l-o-w square wave and you have a nice way to add some variety to a monotonous arpeggiation without having to rekey the notes -- not to mention the Korg irritatingly restarts the arp clock (shared with LFO 1's clock) if you try to rekey the sequence, quite unlike how the Roland Juno arps work. That 'feature' would be the first thing I'd remove if I was making an updated M/P.
Old 9th January 2020
Gear Maniac

@ daviddever

Hi David, - No, but they did use the name, - and manufacturing department of Moog, to help their company "realistic" develop and sell a "financially" cheaper product.
Although, after receiving my 3rd Moog Grandmother, and still having issues, I'm beginning to wish I still had my old MG-1 instead...
Old 10th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosive.Abuser View Post
@ daviddever

Hi David, - No, but they did use the name, - and manufacturing department of Moog, to help their company "realistic" develop and sell a "financially" cheaper product.
Although, after receiving my 3rd Moog Grandmother, and still having issues, I'm beginning to wish I still had my old MG-1 instead...
Is the MG-1 a case of 'open practice' cloning though?

It was a co-branded synth (both companies logos are on the product). The design and manufacture is Moog using specs and parts that Tandy specified (and somewhat of lesser quality than Moog usually used at that time). Moog later leveraged the designs in the Rogue and Taurus II once the exclusive sales period for Tandy expired.

Roland and Multivox might be a better example of open cloning. I'm still not sure if the two companies had a friendly agreement that later soured or if it was an outright case of blatant design theft. Some of the Multivox designs are outright copies of Roland/Acetone products and others are 'close but not quite' versions. One version of the story I've heard is that both Roland and Multivox bought the same designs from a 3rd party company named Hillwood. Even the post-Roland Acetone designs seem more like Multivox ripoffs than Roland's own products. And then you have Korg/Univox...
Old 10th January 2020
Lives for gear

Whether it was a sanctioned clone or whatever the case may be I just have to say I absolutely love the MG-1. It was my first synth, and learning subtractive synthesis on it for the first time is still one of my most treasured musical experiences. I've definitely been chasing that feeling ever since. Haven't owned one in a long time but I would like to again eventually. Totally bonkers that I can now own a Minimoog clone for far cheaper than what these things are currently going for.
Old 10th January 2020
Gear Maniac

@ Rob Ocelot

Hi Rob, - Interesting stuff, many thanks.

Btw, I can be quite vague sometimes, I do apologise. I didn't mean to suggest that the MG-1 was a clone, - just that many brands over the years have benefitted from using others IP, aesthetics and affiliations to help shift units, or break into the market.

~ much love ~

ps. I will say, - It is a shame that Behringer didn't, or couldn't, get some of the legacy brands a little more interested, possibly even invested, in what he's currently achieving, - but I guess it does keep the price of the units down.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear
Uli,

Please incorporate Tubbutec mod into the BonoBoly. It's amazing.

I sold my M/P a couple years ago and wanted it back instantly:(

I am all over this one.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Looking to buy this today - hopefully with quick delivery by weekend - can anyone tell me what shop to get it from for best price ? thanks
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

What, the Behringer Mono/Poly? It's not even confirmed they are doing it yet.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

I’m looking to buy the Jupiter 8 today as well.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Anyone know what shop can overnight ship me a Behringer Solina?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search