The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Behringer Monopoly
Old 1 day ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Syc View Post
I get it, understandable, but you will not get an authentic recreation sound by doing this and by definition it’s not a clone.
This isn’t biology. A clone is not a 1:1 recreation that is a replica.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by flat View Post
That is an ideal situation for someone who knows the original to compare. I actually want a very critical, focused review if possible. Pulling no punches.

Does it sound like the original? Yes or no. No need not beat around the bush.

Lets av it.
My bet:
* It won't
* Cognitive dissonance will ensue because of what people want it to be
* It'll make bloops and fart noises of a reasonable standard, folks will buy it anyway, either in denial or acceptance of whatever it sounds like

(btw happy to be proven wrong)
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckjoykid View Post
A clone is not a 1:1 recreation .
That makes sense.

Dead eye Jango Fett must have noticed his clones couldn't hit a barn door with a laser rifle.

Old 21 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by norfolk martin View Post
And when you do all of this there will be a flurry of posts claiming that these additional elements have ruined the sound. On a board where many posters argue that SM components "sound" different from through-hole components of the same value, can you doubt it?
No comment was made on the effect to the sound; ultimately, some design engineers are better than others, and can coax better performance out of a complex design, whether hardware or software.

Better-optimized engineering, within the context of a more complex design, costs money.
Old 20 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by daviddever View Post
No comment was made on the effect to the sound; ultimately, some design engineers are better than others, and can coax better performance out of a complex design, whether hardware or software.

Better-optimized engineering, within the context of a more complex design, costs money.
Having done a ton of reverse engineering complex products, the effort is usually characterized as "Understand completely, or duplicate exactly". There's a sh*tload of detective* work involved. A lot of it is guesswork too.

Being able to open a product up and theorize how it works, is the smallest part in executing a clone of someone else's design. Ours plugged into IBM mainframes of the 80's. Actually grinding through the product execution cycle takes everyones work. Whether it's the original work, or a re-engineering of an existing product, there are so many folks involved with their limits and restrictions. It's really amazing work.

The fact that anyone does it, I applaud. I learned a lot, I expect they will too.

*-both boring and repetitive - buzzing out someone else's board for the traces to build a board level schematic. Or taking a ton of traces, and writing regression tools to deduce logic function.
Old 19 hours ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Ocelot View Post
Full sized keys, but the Behringer keyboard is 7 keys shorter (from the low end of the keyboard) than the original.
Right! Thanks, mate. I couldn’t put my finger on it.
Old 51 minutes ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Ocelot View Post
Nick fits the bill perfectly (though he does have this strange obsession with PWM :-)
He really doesn't. It's everyone else that have made it a 'thing'. I think you'll find Nick's rather bored of how everyone else keeps banging on about it tbh..
Old 48 minutes ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiK777 View Post
He really doesn't. It's everyone else that have made it a 'thing'. I think you'll find Nick's rather bored of how everyone else keeps banging on about it tbh..
... don't forget the 'sing song' harmonics.
Old 1 minute ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiK777 View Post
Hence the smiley in my original post you obviously missed.

In future I'll make it easier for you to detect when humour or sarcasm is present:

***WARNING*** --> :-) <-- ***WARNING***
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search