The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Behringer Monopoly
Old 6 days ago
  #961
Here for the gear
 
redneckjoykid's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Syc View Post
I get it, understandable, but you will not get an authentic recreation sound by doing this and by definition it’s not a clone.
This isn’t biology. A clone is not a 1:1 recreation that is a replica.
Old 6 days ago
  #962
Lives for gear
 
lost_the_peace's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flat View Post
That is an ideal situation for someone who knows the original to compare. I actually want a very critical, focused review if possible. Pulling no punches.

Does it sound like the original? Yes or no. No need not beat around the bush.

Lets av it.
My bet:
* It won't
* Cognitive dissonance will ensue because of what people want it to be
* It'll make bloops and fart noises of a reasonable standard, folks will buy it anyway, either in denial or acceptance of whatever it sounds like

(btw happy to be proven wrong)
Old 6 days ago
  #963
Lives for gear
 
flat's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckjoykid View Post
A clone is not a 1:1 recreation .
That makes sense.

Dead eye Jango Fett must have noticed his clones couldn't hit a barn door with a laser rifle.

Old 6 days ago
  #964
Lives for gear
 
daviddever's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by norfolk martin View Post
And when you do all of this there will be a flurry of posts claiming that these additional elements have ruined the sound. On a board where many posters argue that SM components "sound" different from through-hole components of the same value, can you doubt it?
No comment was made on the effect to the sound; ultimately, some design engineers are better than others, and can coax better performance out of a complex design, whether hardware or software.

Better-optimized engineering, within the context of a more complex design, costs money.
Old 6 days ago
  #965
Lives for gear
 
SkyWriter's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by daviddever View Post
No comment was made on the effect to the sound; ultimately, some design engineers are better than others, and can coax better performance out of a complex design, whether hardware or software.

Better-optimized engineering, within the context of a more complex design, costs money.
Having done a ton of reverse engineering complex products, the effort is usually characterized as "Understand completely, or duplicate exactly". There's a sh*tload of detective* work involved. A lot of it is guesswork too.

Being able to open a product up and theorize how it works, is the smallest part in executing a clone of someone else's design. Ours plugged into IBM mainframes of the 80's. Actually grinding through the product execution cycle takes everyones work. Whether it's the original work, or a re-engineering of an existing product, there are so many folks involved with their limits and restrictions. It's really amazing work.

The fact that anyone does it, I applaud. I learned a lot, I expect they will too.


*-both boring and repetitive - buzzing out someone else's board for the traces to build a board level schematic. Or taking a ton of traces, and writing regression tools to deduce logic function.
Old 6 days ago
  #966
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Ocelot View Post
Full sized keys, but the Behringer keyboard is 7 keys shorter (from the low end of the keyboard) than the original.
Right! Thanks, mate. I couldn’t put my finger on it.
Old 5 days ago
  #967
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Ocelot View Post
Nick fits the bill perfectly (though he does have this strange obsession with PWM :-)
He really doesn't. It's everyone else that have made it a 'thing'. I think you'll find Nick's rather bored of how everyone else keeps banging on about it tbh..
Old 5 days ago
  #968
Lives for gear
 
flat's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiK777 View Post
He really doesn't. It's everyone else that have made it a 'thing'. I think you'll find Nick's rather bored of how everyone else keeps banging on about it tbh..
... don't forget the 'sing song' harmonics.
Old 5 days ago
  #969
Lives for gear
 
Rob Ocelot's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiK777 View Post
He really doesn't. It's everyone else that have made it a 'thing'. I think you'll find Nick's rather bored of how everyone else keeps banging on about it tbh..
Hence the smiley in my original post you obviously missed.

In future I'll make it easier for you to detect when humour or sarcasm is present:



***WARNING*** --> :-) <-- ***WARNING***
Old 5 days ago
  #970
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Ocelot View Post
Hence the smiley in my original post you obviously missed.

In future I'll make it easier for you to detect when humour or sarcasm is present:
So I'm not allowed to make a simple comment about a mate to add to a conversation without you making some condescending snidey remark?

Boy, I bet you're just a barrel of fun at parties!
Old 5 days ago
  #971
Lives for gear
 
Rob Ocelot's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiK777 View Post
So I'm not allowed to make a simple comment about a mate to add to a conversation without you making some condescending snidey remark?

Boy, I bet you're just a barrel of fun at parties!
...and you like to chime in and be all pedantic. I'm sure you're a real drip at parties too.
Old 5 days ago
  #972
Lives for gear
 
SonicBern's Avatar
 

I will just leave this here as we are in the pre product release phase:



YouTube comment:

"Paul Swiff Modulation"
Old 5 days ago
  #973
Lives for gear
 
Rob Ocelot's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicBern View Post
I will just leave this here as we are in the pre product release phase:

But he really doesn't, don't you know that?

"I'll be there in a minute honey, I'm in the middle of correcting somone on the internet!"
Old 5 days ago
  #974
Lives for gear
 
pppch's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicBern View Post
I will just leave this here as we are in the pre product release phase:



YouTube comment:

"Paul Swiff Modulation"
please leave it to experts, real experts

Old 5 days ago
  #975
Lives for gear
 
SonicBern's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Ocelot View Post
"I'll be there in a minute honey, I'm in the middle of correcting somone on the internet!"
Old 5 days ago
  #976
Lives for gear
 
SonicBern's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pppch View Post
please leave it to experts, real experts

The best demo's and kind off reviews are by people that own, use and love a particular synth. They tell you why the fell in love and show what it does for them... Nothing beats those, sadly rare, reviews...
Old 5 days ago
  #977
Lives for gear
 
Rob Ocelot's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicBern View Post
The best demo's and kind off reviews are by people that own, use and love a particular synth. They tell you why the fell in love and show what it does for them... Nothing beats those, sadly rare, reviews...
@ Elkanah77 (aka Espen Kraft) seems to genuinely love the synths he features, including the Mono/Poly:



...and I'll give a shout out to @ xanderbeanz as well. It was because of these two chaps that I ended up buying a Mono/Poly in the first place.
Old 16 hours ago
  #978
Lives for gear
 
GeminIAm's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Analog View Post
Nick Batt is one of the best reviewers on YouTube. His reviews give you a sense of how a synth will work in a musical context as well as covering its features.
I do like Nick but unfortunately his style of music/patches are not my taste at all so it can sometimes be hard to imagine the synth he's reviewing in my context.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Ocelot View Post
@ Elkanah77 (aka Espen Kraft) seems to genuinely love the synths he features, including the Mono/Poly:



....
Now this guy is more my style - pure 80s! I don't like his singing voice at all but I love his playing
Old 15 hours ago
  #979
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeminIAm View Post
Now this guy is more my style - pure 80s! I don't like his singing voice at all but I love his playing
I’m on the opposite side of this spectrum where the very 80s centric examples we’ve seen of what the Behringer Monopoly is capable of isn’t really telling me much. I hope it’s capable of the same quirks the original is, but so far all I know is that it can do the same big 80s sounds I hear in 90% of all analog synths demos.
Old 13 hours ago
  #980
Lives for gear
 
GeminIAm's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by dublave View Post
I’m on the opposite side of this spectrum where the very 80s centric examples we’ve seen of what the Behringer Monopoly is capable of isn’t really telling me much. I hope it’s capable of the same quirks the original is, but so far all I know is that it can do the same big 80s sounds I hear in 90% of all analog synths demos.
Yeah understandable, I think you're either all for or all against the 80s haha!

I guess once this bad boy finds it way into the hands of certain reviewers you'll have a better idea
Old 13 hours ago
  #981
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeminIAm View Post
Yeah understandable, I think you're either all for or all against the 80s haha!
Don’t get me wrong, I love 80s music! And I love plenty of current 80s inspired music. It’s just not necessarily what I make.
Old 12 hours ago
  #982
Lives for gear
 
xanderbeanz's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by flat View Post
That makes sense.

Dead eye Jango Fett must have noticed his clones couldn't hit a barn door with a laser rifle.

Into the Sarlacc pit with them!

And not even a fancy Sarlacc pit with CGI tentacles! Just the regular economy one!
Old 12 hours ago
  #983
Lives for gear
 
SkyWriter's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by xanderbeanz View Post
And not even a fancy Sarlacc pit with CGI tentacles! Just the regular economy one!
I had a grey water system in my last house that looked like that. :0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeminIAm View Post
Yeah understandable, I think you're either all for or all against the 80s haha!
Most people think of the 80's as synth pop. I always think of it as the 'decade of the disco survivors'. The shoes, lapels, hairstyles, side burns, and mustaches! Oh dear!
Old 2 hours ago
  #984
Lives for gear
I dunno I’ve been wanting a MonoPoly or a Polysix for a very long time! I have most all the analog synths I want and replaced VST with the hardware versions I used for 20 years or so. These days the only VST I may open is a Grand Piano, older Massive because I got really good at making what I wanted and it sounds good....then lastly the Korg legacy pack which I have all but the MonoPoly and PolySix. I feel if reviews are good, I’m just going to get it. I don’t want to buy an old Polysix due to the battery issues like the Juno 106 has voice chip issues. And the original MonoPoly is so expensive I’d rather just upgrade my entire outboard or buy a dedicated Buss compressor instead for that price. This looks very promising and everything I was waiting for!
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump