The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Behringer Monopoly
Old 27th November 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuggaMahone View Post
Korg started making new analog synths again well before Behringer did, including the Odyssey and MS-20 reissues. They didn't make them as cheap or as prolifically, but why ignore their products and role in the analog revival? They've also designed and made quite a few new analog synths, this whole time. As a Korg lover, I thought you'd remember.

What Uli's doing is unprecedented in scale, but he's not the one who risked testing the waters to jump-start the revival. Rather, he's a catalyst who's taking it to a whole new level. Nothing wrong with that. This isn't a war or an autocracy, so there's no need to push a false narrative. It's okay to buy his synths, whether he's a White Knight to the rescue from the evil Big 3, or not.

All that being said, I hope he remakes the Trident, and does it proud. Realistically, I just can't have ALL the synths he's making that I'd want. But I'd definitely make room for a Trident. Maybe even a Monopoly
Thanks for your comments, it can be good to see through someone else's eyes sometimes who disagrees with a post.
With regards to analog SYNTHS the MS-20 was released in 2013, only 6 years ago, and the Odyssey was early 2015.
For decades people were asking for analog synths, especially after Dave Smith proved there was a market for them.
My memory is a bit different than yours I guess, because for those other years Korg produced virtual analog or modeling synths.
I jumped on the Odyssey release and was on the preorder list with Sweetwater for a Rev 1, even when the release date kept getting pushed back.
I still have my FS Odyssey Rev 1 and love it, and it's my preferred Odyssey over the Behringer, but the Behringer version is very good in my opinion.

I was never pushing a "false narrative" , it was never my intent(and I think that was a bit unfair to say that). I was just expressing my personal opinion based on being a synthesizer consumer during all the decades the big 3 wouldn't create any, or bring out popular vintage analog reissues which many players wanted and continued to request on every musician forum I was ever on. Even on software based forums such as KvR.

I have stated on numerous posts here on gearslutz, I don't own any Behringer products including any of the new reissue analog synths.
I'm quite happy with my studio setup and some of my synths were bought new in the late 80's(D50, VFX-SD, Wavestation EX).
So, my comments weren't as a Behringer fanboy but as a synthesizer lover, and my opinion on how manufacturers ignored the market and demand for analog synths and to reproduce vintage analog synths as reissues.
Old 27th November 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by synthguy View Post
I guess they want to run off with everyone's intellectual property. How very Chinese.
People like you only complain when it's about Behringer. Other companies have been cloning synths too yet no one complains about them. Iirc it wasn't that long ago when an another company had cloned the sh101.
Old 27th November 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrumidi View Post
People like you only complain when it's about Behringer. Other companies
Yes, let's discuss other companies for a second. Who aren't megacorporations trying to absorb the entire music market by undercutting everyone by reselling all their tech. Just sayin'.

I suggest everyone who wants to keep picking at that scab resist the urge, because I'm not pleased about the prospect of never seeing a YAMAHA CS-80 synth, a ROLAND JUPITER-8 or anything else analog, and I will talk about it. We're very lucky that Dave Smith and Tom Oberheim keep plugging along selling "overpriced" gear.

If we end up in a situation in which every new synth is digital, save for one company and a few renegades, remember this post.
Old 27th November 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by flat View Post
A synth like the Trident wouldn't work so well with a sequencer imho. (particularly the one thats being tacked onto the current behrnger synths)

The Trident is all about huge warm layering. A mono step sequencer really seems a bit redundant for this type of synth tbh. Again its only a rough idea. I'm sure one could be put in if really wanted. (I personally would not have need for it as described above)

Regarding f/x, it has the flanger, and I guess the control section for that could easily be made to toggle a few more f/x such as Delay/Phaser/Reverb/chorus.

I completely agree...but this is Behringer we are talking about. They'll have to improve upon it in someway/shape/form.
Old 27th November 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr0gr4m View Post
I completely agree...but this is Behringer we are talking about. They'll have to improve upon it in someway/shape/form.
This is true. (But I hope he expands on the 'Synth' section. That would be killer, as the Trident wouldn't have one arm tied behind its back in that respect). I'm also interested what extra features Uli might add to the Monopoly if this thing happens.

I would imagine some kind of f/x for a start. My only hope is the arpeggiator and how it makes the MP so special isn't replaced with the basic Arp/Seq they seem to be tacking on most of their new synths. That could really screw up what makes the MP so cool.
Old 27th November 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Yes, let's discuss other companies for a second. Who aren't megacorporations trying to absorb the entire music market by undercutting everyone by reselling all their tech. Just sayin'.

I suggest everyone who wants to keep picking at that scab resist the urge, because I'm not pleased about the prospect of never seeing a YAMAHA CS-80 synth, a ROLAND JUPITER-8 or anything else analog, and I will talk about it. We're very lucky that Dave Smith and Tom Oberheim keep plugging along selling "overpriced" gear.

If we end up in a situation in which every new synth is digital, save for one company and a few renegades, remember this post.
So its fine when a smaller company clones a synth but its not fine when a mega company does it? That makes no sense to me its either bad or good there is nothing in between. Behringer just produces a lot of clones that's why they're "absorbing" the synth market. Sorry but your post made you sound like a hypocrite.

Just saying those small companies who clone these synths they could dream of how Uli does it. If they had the chance they would clone on a large scale, the only difference is the price. They would probably overcharge us.
Old 27th November 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlz View Post
If they go and produce a Trident, it would be a shame to be one octave short. C'mon, if a job is worth doing, it is worth doing properly.
Poly synths should always have 5 octaves especially if it has a key split function or if you play with 2 hands. Mono synths are OK with 3 or 4 octaves. Iirc Uli had asked this question on Facebook, everyone said that a Poly synth should have 5 octaves. However Im really asking myself if they'll ever clone a Matrix 12. I always wanted to have one. I'm glad the UBXa and the DS80 have a 5 octave keybed hopefully all their poly synth clones will have a 5 octave keybed.
Old 27th November 2019
Gear Addict
Quote:
Better start by complaining about VSTs emulating original synths for an even cheaper price than Behringer.
And weren't those pesky VSTs the scapegoat for the lack of analog synths in 00s? And they did have a truly awful sound back then.
I mean after that recent thread Diva should be the doom of Moog itself no less.
Old 28th November 2019
Lives for gear

I don't really see the difference between the Poly D and a MonoBoly.
They both have 4 osc., 1 filter, 1 amp, and can be played monophonic, or paraphonic.
The difference must be in the small details?

Last edited by felis; 28th November 2019 at 02:48 AM..
Old 28th November 2019
Lives for gear

Onboard effects — both digital and analog — please
Old 28th November 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrumidi View Post
So its fine when a smaller company clones a synth but its not fine when a mega company does it? That makes no sense to me its either bad or good there is nothing in between. Behringer just produces a lot of clones that's why they're "absorbing" the synth market. Sorry but your post made you sound like a hypocrite.

Just saying those small companies who clone these synths they could dream of how Uli does it. If they had the chance they would clone on a large scale, the only difference is the price. They would probably overcharge us.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraze View Post
Better start by complaining about VSTs emulating original synths for an even cheaper price than Behringer.
And weren't those pesky VSTs the scapegoat for the lack of analog synths in 00s? And they did have a truly awful sound back then.
I mean after that recent thread Diva should be the doom of Moog itself no less.
Smaller companies making both cheap clones and expensive clones have never been a problem to anyone. Neither have VSTs. They haven't had the same effect on the market as Microsoft and Electronic Arts have in software and gaming. And the reason there was a dearth of analog synths for a while around the 2000s is because of a dearth of good chips, as well as digital synths still being quite popular, not the rise of softsynths. Have you already forgotten how the Andromeda, the odd analog throwback from that time, had to have massive ASICs fabricated for it, thus the nomenclature A6? And Dave Smith and others working with Curtis Electronics to further develop their synthesizer chips?

One thing I can enjoy in this environment are a good future for digital synths and VAs, like Roland's Fantom and ZEN-Core Jupiters. As a fan of VAs and romplers, I'll still have plenty to look forward to in the future.
Old 28th November 2019
Lives for gear

I might crack if a pretty much 1:1 Trident recreation appeared, from whichever manufacturer. Forget sequencer and extra fx etc., just add MIDI and USB and lots more preset slots and of course keep the 5 octaves.
Old 28th November 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by felis View Post
I don't really see the difference between the Poly D and a MonoBoly.
They both have 4 osc., 1 filter, 1 amp, and can be played monophonic, or paraphonic.
The difference must be in the small details?
A Les Paul and a Strat, Same basic design, 6 strings etc etc ............totally different character and sound.

Last edited by flat; 28th November 2019 at 09:11 AM..
Old 28th November 2019
Lives for gear

I suggest Tribent for a name.

Quote:
Just for you Sir monkey of the sea variety.

I gave it a quick wipe down with my virtual rag....but it doesn't sound so organic now?

Old 28th November 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coorec View Post
I suggest Tribent for a name.
Good one

I went with Brident

but theres also

Tridinger

Tri-bute

Fork
Old 28th November 2019
Quote:
This is true. (But I hope he expands on the 'Synth' section. That would be killer, as the Trident wouldn't have one arm tied behind its back in that respect). I'm also interested what extra features Uli might add to the Monopoly if this thing happens.
I agree, synthesis extras ; wonderful, as long as it doesn't stray too far from the original concept.

Quote:
I would imagine some kind of f/x for a start. My only hope is the arpeggiator and how it makes the MP so special isn't replaced with the basic Arp/Seq they seem to be tacking on most of their new synths. That could really screw up what makes the MP so cool.
Indeed it would, and I'm crossing my fingers that doesn't happen.

Effects btw - other than the ones that are on the original? Why? If that again leads to an LCD screen added and buttons that clash with the original look of the Mono/Poly.. WHY? Don't the vast majority of us have at least a couple of cheap FX pedals or a $50 rack unit??
Old 28th November 2019
Quote:

Quote:
Just for you Sir monkey of the sea variety.

I gave it a quick wipe down with my virtual rag....but it doesn't sound so organic now?

Looking good!
Old 28th November 2019
Lives for gear

Behringer Monopoly

“Behringer Monopoly”

If ever there was a more apt title and synth to sum up 2020.
Old 28th November 2019
Gear Guru

They really should name this synth the "BORG" .. resistance is futile..!
Old 28th November 2019
Lives for gear

So is this a real thing, or is it just someone's render?

This thread is beyond confusing.
Old 28th November 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutilatedlip View Post

See the first post.
Old 28th November 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by camarao View Post
See the first post.
I thought that was really old news.

Okay.. no actual product news then.

Damn. This is the only one that piques my fancy.
Old 28th November 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
A Les Paul and a Strat, Same basic design, 6 strings etc etc ............totally different character and sound.

I guess they'll be using different components from what's in the Poly D then.
Old 28th November 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:

If you are talking about the Trident pic, I hope I made it quite clear it was an 'idea' i'd like to see Uli do. (and a realistic one using DM12 type form factor).

I'm truly humbled if you think my Windows Paint 10-min effort whilst eating a wagon wheel at the same time could possibly be real
Old 28th November 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:

I think the just released Poly D is the MonoPoly. Could be wrong though.
Old 28th November 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by felis View Post
I think the just released Poly D is the MonoPoly. Could be wrong though.
I'm hoping - perhaps others are too - that Behr will take the same or similar form factor and make more polys / paras, with different architectures / filters etc. Poly D is a nice product - IMHO it's immediately become one of the best synths in their lineup - but I'm not after the Moog sound personally...
Old 28th November 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasimirsBlake View Post
I'm hoping - perhaps others are too - that Behr will take the same or similar form factor and make more polys / paras, with different architectures / filters etc. Poly D is a nice product - IMHO it's immediately become one of the best synths in their lineup - but I'm not after the Moog sound personally...
Interesting.

Wonder if they might do it with the MS20 (K2) & Pro-1. Like how they have expanded the single voice Model D into the Poly D. I think it would be quite an easy transgression for them to do a Paraphonic K2 or Pro 1 as they have the main part already done.

Remember listening to a multi tracked MS20 demo, and it sounded really good played poly-phonically.
Old 28th November 2019
Lives for gear

I think this is the best vid on youtube to basically go through and explain what the Monopoly is all about (for those of you that haven't really checked it out)

I really wish I had bought one before the prices went crazy. Fingers crossed Uli will have something for us. (and I hope its a keyboard, not a desktop module)

Old 28th November 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Ocelot View Post
The article is wrong. Period.

The individual oscillators (regardless of key mode) are mixed before the filter (and it's single envlope) and everything funnels through a singular amp envelope.

Source: The Mono/Poly I have sitting in front of me.
There's some sort of per oscillator VCA that's gated between the oscillators and the mixer to allow oscillators to be muted individually when playing in round robin mode or playing fewer than 4 notes in paraphonic mode. Maybe just switches/gates and not actual VCAs, but there's something there. Poly D and Matriarch have something similar.
Old 29th November 2019
Lives for gear

I have always wanted a trio of old Korgs: MonoPoly, PolySix, Trident. I'm sure there's tons of overlap, but these just sound so amazing. I've had some software versions but these girls got mojo. Very anxious to try the hardware.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search