The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Behringer Monopoly
Old 26th November 2019
Lives for gear

What’s weird to me is that Korg’s Facebook feed has had MonoPoly clips and information sprinkled throughout the past year. IIRC, they even asked if there was interest in a reissue and of course, many enthusiastically replied in the affirmative. So did they do the numbers and conclude that it wouldn’t make business sense for them? Was it ever a realistic possibility? They asked, we told, and yet nothing materialized.

Last edited by Shadowkast; 26th November 2019 at 09:32 PM.. Reason: Autocorrect
Old 26th November 2019
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkozyra View Post
I believe in order to protect intellectual property wrt trademark you need to show that you're actively defending your trademark; it's part of the threshold for whether something is a valid trademark.

If they're not maintaining the trademark then that test fails.
I suppose that would mean kfc should lose their trademark since they are not actively defending/improving upon it upon the original recipe?

I believe this is why drug companies lose the trademark and other no frills brands can copy.
Old 26th November 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamonkey View Post
I love the creativity and vision you have, but for goodness sake those keys?
did someone grow this in a garden?
Just for you Sir monkey of the sea variety.

I gave it a quick wipe down with my virtual rag....but it doesn't sound so organic now?

Behringer Monopoly-brident-out-garden-potting-shed.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Old 26th November 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by felis View Post
I'm not getting something though - 4 osc. go into 1 filter, and then out of the 1 filter to 4 individual vca's?
No, 1 VCA.

Also, Minimoog's filter doesn't sound the same as the filter from Mono/Poly... Plus Poly D doesn't have the different playback modes that M/P had...
Old 26th November 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
I thought the only guy that is winning was Charlie Sheen.
That’s the question isn’t it

Which one is he ...?
Old 26th November 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottfrost View Post
I suppose that would mean kfc should lose their trademark since they are not actively defending/improving upon it upon the original recipe?

I believe this is why drug companies lose the trademark and other no frills brands can copy.
Isn’t producing their chicken and selling it doing just that? Korg hasn’t done this in 35 years.
Old 26th November 2019
Gear Nut

Behringer already said (or Uli himself on this forum don't remember) that they are currently working on at least a hundred (or was it 200?) synths so i'm not surprised and i'm really excited about it. All keyboardists and electronic musicians will be able to build a dream arsenal of synths like in the old studio/stage pictures of Herbie Hancock, Stevie Wonder, Klaus Schulze etc. The only thing that will still probably be missing or hard to get are the electro-mechanical piano's, mellotron, synclavier and fairlight, and of course the old analogue consoles and tape machines.
Old 26th November 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishy washy View Post
Behringer already said (or Uli himself on this forum don't remember) that they are currently working on at least a hundred (or was it 200?) synths so i'm not surprised and i'm really excited about it. All keyboardists and electronic musicians will be able to build a dream arsenal of synths like in the old studio/stage pictures of Herbie Hancock, Stevie Wonder, Klaus Schulze etc. The only thing that will still probably be missing or hard to get are the electro-mechanical piano's, mellotron, synclavier and fairlight, and of course the old analogue consoles and tape machines.
I’m hoping for a 4000B console
Old 26th November 2019
Gear Addict

Another cloned thread but with another name. Smart choice, I like that, it’s boriginal!
Old 26th November 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by flat View Post
Just for you Sir monkey of the sea variety.

I gave it a quick wipe down with my virtual rag....but it doesn't sound so organic now?

Beautiful!! thank you..I'll take two!<3
Old 26th November 2019
Gear Nut

Is that a Behringer clone? It looks fake without the oversized translucent pitch and mod wheels and the MS1 sequencer. It's not a Behringer.

The wood looks too generous too. The real Behringer side panels would be much slimmer and only cover the absolute minimum of each side of the synth.

How about the n-1 formula for the number of octaves vs the original? Ahh no, this is done right, maybe not a fake after all.

Old 26th November 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arder View Post
Is that a Behringer clone? It looks fake without the oversized translucent pitch and mod wheels and the MS1 sequencer. It's not a Behringer.

The wood looks too generous too. The real Behringer side panels would be much slimmer and only cover the absolute minimum of each side of the synth.

How about the n-1 formula for the number of octaves vs the original? Ahh no, this is done right, maybe not a fake after all.

Old 26th November 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:

Drug companies protect their medicines with a patent. The patent is good for 20 years, however there must be significant tests and it can take up to 7-10 years to go public.
At the end of the 20 year patent the drug formula is available to be made as a generic. The drug must be a 100% accurate recreation.

Most drug companies will just create something new and tell everyone it is new and improved and the crap we were selling you before isn't half as good.
Old 26th November 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Quote:
I believe in order to protect intellectual property wrt trademark you need to show that you're actively defending your trademark; it's part of the threshold for whether something is a valid trademark.

Aggressive defense is a prerequisite for trademark; KFC aggressive defends their trademark. As far as I know, they cannot trademark a recipe.
Old 26th November 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Quote:

Aggressive defense is a prerequisite for trademark; KFC aggressive defends their trademark. As far as I know, they cannot trademark a recipe.
Old 26th November 2019
Gear Addict
At this rate in 10 years Behringer would probably buy out Korg, Roland and Sequential - so don't worry about them trademarks.
Old 27th November 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraze View Post
At this rate in 10 years Behringer would probably buy out Korg, Roland and Sequential - so don't worry about them trademarks.
More like 5 years.
Old 27th November 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraze View Post
or disappear with the amount of synths they plan to produce and maintain. Keep making them all (will they?) repair them all (will they?)
U can’t grow forever
Old 27th November 2019
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by satatek View Post
or disappear with the amount of synths they plan to produce and maintain. Keep making them all (will they?) repair them all (will they?)
U can’t grow forever
Your avatar is very fitting and ironic in relation to your post you know
Old 27th November 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by flat View Post
Uli, if you are going to have a go at the Trident, I would be happy for something like this (You could possibly use the DM12 chassis)?

You left no room for the built-in effects and sequencer.
Old 27th November 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamonkey View Post
It wouldn't make sense to file a trademark for a name unless the old one had expired.
It isn't Behringer's fault if Korg no longer cared about the term.

Behringer is making synths based on vintage and classic synths from decades ago.
Synth lovers have been begging Roland, Yamaha and Korg for decades to reissue classic analog synths from the past...the answer.......crickets.

I don't fault Behringer for recognizing the demand, and the big 3 have no one to blame but themselves.

Analog synthesizers were a niche market and all but boutique creators were the only ones left carrying the torch.
We have Dave Smith to thank for the resurrection of analog products on a large production basis in my opinion.
He took a chance, while the Big 3 sat on the sideline. Dave had more to lose financially and it was a risk, but he gave us the Prophet 08 and it was a big success.

The big 3 had more resources but still chose not to enter the analog market. The way they approached demand for analog reissues and their response bordered on arrogance towards those who kept asking for analog.
So if it's true they allowed their trademark to expire and didn't check first, bad on them. And I'm a Korg lover.
Korg started making new analog synths again well before Behringer did, including the Odyssey and MS-20 reissues. They didn't make them as cheap or as prolifically, but why ignore their products and role in the analog revival? They've also designed and made quite a few new analog synths, this whole time. As a Korg lover, I thought you'd remember.

What Uli's doing is unprecedented in scale, but he's not the one who risked testing the waters to jump-start the revival. Rather, he's a catalyst who's taking it to a whole new level. Nothing wrong with that. This isn't a war or an autocracy, so there's no need to push a false narrative. It's okay to buy his synths, whether he's a White Knight to the rescue from the evil Big 3, or not.

All that being said, I hope he remakes the Trident, and does it proud. Realistically, I just can't have ALL the synths he's making that I'd want. But I'd definitely make room for a Trident. Maybe even a Monopoly
Old 27th November 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
No, 1 VCA....

That was a direct quote from the article in the first post:

http://www.synthanatomy.com/2019/11/...mono-poly.html

4 oscillators, 1 filter, 4 vca's. Actually - it says one vca per voice. Probably more semantics trickery going on there, like with the Poly D.
Old 27th November 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
That was a direct quote from the article in the first post:

http://www.synthanatomy.com/2019/11/...mono-poly.html

4 oscillators, 1 filter, 4 vca's. Actually - it says one vca per voice. Probably more semantics trickery going on there, like with the Poly D.
The article is wrong. Period.

The individual oscillators (regardless of key mode) are mixed before the filter (and it's single envlope) and everything funnels through a singular amp envelope.

Source: The Mono/Poly I have sitting in front of me.
Old 27th November 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowkast View Post
What’s weird to me is that Korg’s Facebook feed has had MonoPoly clips and information sprinkled throughout the past year. IIRC, they even asked if there was interest in a reissue and of course, many enthusiastically replied in the affirmative. So did they do the numbers and conclude that it wouldn’t make business sense for them? Was it ever a realistic possibility? They asked, we told, and yet nothing materialized.
Isn't being an unpaid participant in market research fun?
Old 27th November 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr0gr4m View Post
You left no room for the built-in effects and sequencer.
A synth like the Trident wouldn't work so well with a sequencer imho. (particularly the one thats being tacked onto the current behrnger synths)

The Trident is all about huge warm layering. A mono step sequencer really seems a bit redundant for this type of synth tbh. Again its only a rough idea. I'm sure one could be put in if really wanted. (I personally would not have need for it as described above)

Regarding f/x, it has the flanger, and I guess the control section for that could easily be made to toggle a few more f/x such as Delay/Phaser/Reverb/chorus.

Old 27th November 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Superb! If only patch memory would be included.... helas.
But this was my suggestion for the `what you want Behringer to build next´ poll as it is a very easy to use but powerful sounding synth.
Old 27th November 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
I'm not getting something though - 4 osc. go into 1 filter, and then out of the 1 filter to 4 individual vca's?
There is single main VCA, but there are individual gate circuits controlled from keyboard at oscillator outputs, before mixer and filters, so in "poly" mode, when you press just one key, other 3 oscillators are muted. (I'm talking about PolyD now, but looks like MonoPoly uses the same principle)
Old 27th November 2019
Gear Maniac

Glad I didn't Pre-Order the Poly-D now. This is far more interesting to me.
Old 27th November 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by benanderson89 View Post
Glad I didn't Pre-Order the Poly-D now. This is far more interesting to me.
Same here. My strategy is now to wait and see what will be revealed in the bigger picture.

I'm getting to the point of telling myself, if I buy any more synths, it must only be to replace stuff.

At first I was against this re-creating stuff from other manufactures, but now I am beginning to appreciate that Uli is doing this stuff.

If I can get even 90% sound of the Trident or MP I will be a happy chappy. At this time of life, I want to make music, not measure everything through oscilloscopes for authenticity.
Old 27th November 2019
Gear Head

I've got a Mono/Poly with the Tubbutec kit, which greatly enhances the synth with new voice modes, a polyphonic sequencer and more goodies bringing it into the 21st century basically. The original is a good piece of kit, but with the Tubbutec mod it's a monster!

I wonder if Behringer will incorporate any of that into their M/P or just copy the vanilla one.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search