The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Everyone is a musician
Old 24th November 2019
  #1
Lives for gear
 
Somebodyperson's Avatar
 

Everyone is a musician

I wanted to post a reply to this thread: Releasing electronic music, but are you a musician?


But stupidly it was closed.


So I am making this now to just say...if you make any music, great like Pete Namlook




Or garbage like me



You are a musician. You may be good...or you may be bad....but if you make music at all you are a musician, end of story.


(P.S. not all tracks on that topic channel are by me, someone else also used that name)
Old 24th November 2019
  #2
Gear Nut
 

Hmm... It is an interesting topic to discuss. The boundaries have certainly changed. Like anything in late neo capitalism it isn't just an activity or occupation but an identity to be consumed also.

I used to say that anyone arranging any sounds was a musician regardless of the quality. But that only seems to be the case to me now if arranging sound is the primary goal, as an end in itself. The use of ghost writers, paid for social media exposure and all that nonsense demonstrates that for some people music is a vehicle for something else...to create an image, fame, wealth or whatever. I do not consider these people musicians despite there being a 'musical' output. These are marketing people creating and distributing a product which is primarily non-musical.

Advances in technology has definitely made electronic music a convenient vehicle for this. modern tech essentially removes any technical skill barriers to DJing. Computers, sample packs, midi files, presets etc means making music (term used loosely) has never been so convenient and easy. Bang a few samples together, pay someone to mix and master it...bish bash bosh you're now an 'artist'.

I haven't DJd or organised an event for about 3 years and have no real ambition to do so again at present. I actually feel embarrassed now when someone introduces me as a DJ to someone else as it makes me feel like I am part of a fashion parade, or that this is my 'angle' to cynically pursue my path to wealth or fame. What happened to just sharing music?

I do occasionally think about doing some free parties again with an explicit anti-commercial ethos but this would primarily be about making a political point and not focusing on sharing music as its primary goal...which would then be primary about image and not music

I'm actually quite happy just messing about with synths at home now. I feel like I can just enjoy music and trying to be a musician without all that additional image and identity bollocks which just creates a considerable distraction from being a musician.

Jeez! When did things get so complex?

Edit: I'm referring to the techno 'scene' in particular. I'm sure there are many other styles of electronic music which has not suffered the same level of commercialisation over recent years.
Old 24th November 2019
  #3
Lives for gear
 
gentleclockdivid's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebodyperson View Post
I wanted to post a reply to this thread: Releasing electronic music, but are you a musician?


But stupidly it was closed.


So I am making this now to just say...if you make any music, great like Pete Namlook




Or garbage like me



You are a musician. You may be good...or you may be bad....but if you make music at all you are a musician, end of story.


(P.S. not all tracks on that topic channel are by me, someone else also used that name)
Loading a sample in 'pauls's stretch ' and calling it a composition is a bit too easy , no ?
Unless I am missing the irony
Old 24th November 2019
  #4
Lives for gear
 
Somebodyperson's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentleclockdivid View Post
Loading a sample in 'pauls's stretch ' and calling it a composition is a bit too easy , no ?
Unless I am missing the irony
LOL that is exactly why I used that as an example. The paul stretch stuff I make is to help me sleep.

I dont make that stuff because I think people want to hear it, or think it will make me money....thats why no effort was put into the cover art. It is made just for me....or maybe someone else who may want to use it for the same reason.
Old 24th November 2019
  #5
Lives for gear
 
Hazmatic's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebodyperson View Post
You may be good...or you may be bad....but if you make music at all you are a musician, end of story.
Sure, of course, that could apply to anything. Take cooking for example. A 5-year old could prepare some ramen in the microwave. Did the kid technically cook something? Good or bad, the answer is yes. Does that mean I should refer to him as a cook or chef?
Old 24th November 2019
  #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazmatic View Post
Sure, of course, that could apply to anything. Take cooking for example. A 5-year old could prepare some ramen in the microwave. Did the kid technically cook something? Good or bad, the answer is yes. Does that mean I should refer to him as a cook or chef?
the only problem I have with that analogy is chef is a more a professional title..whereas cook can be used in different instances...I think musician is more like the later, though pro musicians are "chefs", if that makes sense.

Musician is such an umbrella term imo..I consider myself a musician because I can play some instruments, even a little formal training, but Id also say someone who constructs an entire song out of samples a musician too. The Avalanches had an entire album made from samples (I think) they were definitely musicians even though Im not sure what, if any, instruments they play.

Its the artist bit I dont get..I know some people are definitely artists and their music is their art, and someone who performs live is a performing artist. Im neither for sure.
Old 24th November 2019
  #7
Lives for gear
 
flat's Avatar
I'm finding it difficult getting my head round accepting that Sigue Sigue Sputnik & Bieber were musicians.
Old 24th November 2019
  #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by flat View Post
I'm finding it difficult getting my head round accepting that Sigue Sigue Sputnik & Bieber were musicians.
Biebers a singer...like drummers and bassists theyre not really musicians
Old 24th November 2019
  #9
Lives for gear
 
flat's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcearl View Post
Biebers a singer...like drummers and bassists theyre not really musicians
I trust you use the word 'singer' in the broadest wildest possible sense
Old 24th November 2019
  #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by flat View Post
I trust you use the word 'singer' in the broadest wildest possible sense
another umbrella term
Old 24th November 2019
  #11
Gear Addict
 

"Everyone is a musician"

Not.

And most who are musicians, are qualitatively bad musicians.

And then those who think they are creative when in actuality they don't have a clue, is another large group.

Gee this is fun. Not.
Old 24th November 2019
  #12
Lives for gear
 
gentleclockdivid's Avatar
 

This reminds me of a friend I had , he really sucked at playing guitar ( music in general ) , too stubborn to learn the basics and just ploinking away ( and boy did it suck )
Funny thing is that the most joy he got out of it was walking through the city with the guitarbag strapped on his back , telling me

quote

Now everybody thinks I am a guitar player

unquote


Not kidding
Old 24th November 2019
  #13
Lives for gear
 

If left to some of you, only about 10 people would qualify as a musician, and this would become a Very slow website, with so few members. I consider myself a hobbyist musician, I’ve hardly had a career as a musician, although have played many shows, and in various states, venues and crowds. It’s been fun. While art is in the eyes or ears if the beholder, pissing on a piece of paper, or recording the sound of one pissing on a piece of paper could be considered art, depending on how avant-garde one is, I suppose.
Old 24th November 2019
  #14
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicncars View Post
If left to some of you, only about 10 people would qualify as a musician, and this would become a Very slow website, with so few members. I consider myself a hobbyist musician, I’ve hardly had a career as a musician, although have played many shows, and in various states, venues and crowds. It’s been fun. While art is in the eyes or ears if the beholder, pissing on a piece of paper, or recording the sound of one pissing on a piece of paper could be considered art, depending on how avant-garde one is, I suppose.
Your writing says it all.

Musicianship (art) could be like pissing on a piece of paper.

Anybody who would make such a claim needs to be retooled.

Er, I mean, reschooled.
Old 24th November 2019
  #15
Gear Addict
 

Why modern art is so bad (5-minute video)

https://www.prageru.com/video/why-is-modern-art-so-bad/
Old 24th November 2019
  #16
Gear Addict
 

Going along with the theme,

Buddy Rich giving a statement and explaining the reason for his statement. In this 18-minute video he plays twice, and with a band the 2nd time. I was impressed with the pianist, too.

But listen to his remarks about "country music".

Old 24th November 2019
  #17
Lives for gear
Your farts are as much your art as a painting.

People get way too hung up on the terms.

It's all art. It's all music.

You're all artists and musicians.

But some are clearly better than others.

And some get paid for it while others don't.

No need to overcomplicate things.
Old 24th November 2019
  #18
Lives for gear
 
Somebodyperson's Avatar
 

Just remember to behave so this thread doesn't get shut down like the last.
Old 24th November 2019
  #19
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddskins View Post
Going along with the theme,

Buddy Rich giving a statement and explaining the reason for his statement. In this 18-minute video he plays twice, and with a band the 2nd time. I was impressed with the pianist, too.

But listen to his remarks about "country music".

He’s pissed because Jazz was out of flavor, and country western was taking over the radio airwaves.
Old 24th November 2019
  #20
Lives for gear
 
autoy's Avatar
Does the ability to write make you a writer? In my opinion, not really. You will need some basic training to become a writer vs. someone who can pick up a pen and write something in a piece of paper. Are you an artist however? That’s a different question, for it really doesn’t have to depend on a skill set but on the intentionality. To me trying to express something (feelings or else) using the means provided by arts makes you an artist. In a sense to me all humans are artists.
Old 24th November 2019
  #21
Gear Addict
 
sim238's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebodyperson View Post
So I am making this now to just say...if you make any music

You are a musician.
Define "make."
Old 24th November 2019
  #22
Gear Addict
 
sim238's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddskins View Post

Lol. I didn't realize Buddy was so funny. I only knew him from his drumming.
Old 25th November 2019
  #23
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicncars View Post
He’s pissed because Jazz was out of flavor, and country western was taking over the radio airwaves.
Be that as it may, your comment does not in any way make an argument against what he said.

Rich was making a solid argument about music. What are you doing? You're making a statement about his demeanor, and not his argument.
Old 25th November 2019
  #24
Lives for gear
 
crufty's Avatar
composers or songwriter?
Old 25th November 2019
  #25
Lives for gear
 
12tone's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sim238 View Post
Lol. I didn't realize Buddy was so funny. I only knew him from his drumming.
That toupee tho...
Old 25th November 2019
  #26
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddskins View Post
Going along with the theme,

Buddy Rich giving a statement and explaining the reason for his statement. In this 18-minute video he plays twice, and with a band the 2nd time. I was impressed with the pianist, too.

But listen to his remarks about "country music".

He's funny, talented, and wrong.

Two out of three isn't bad.
Old 25th November 2019
  #27
Lives for gear
 
WozNYC's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddskins View Post

But listen to his remarks about "country music"
It's true. Country music isn't real music.
Everybody knows that. Just like gingers have no souls.
Old 25th November 2019
  #28
Lives for gear
 
Somebodyperson's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sim238 View Post
Define "make."

Anything from being a 5 year old recording a fart on a Casio SK-1 and playing it, to being Ludwig van Beethoven and writing Choral Symphony (Ninth), Op.125.
Old 25th November 2019
  #29
Lives for gear
I dont really care if someone plays an instrument or not but if you claim to be a musician you need to be able to speak the language well enough to play with others. That is what a musician is. There is a language to it which musicians can speak even if they dont know every nuance or have formal training.

Artist - different story. A very debatable but more applicable term.
Old 25th November 2019
  #30
Lives for gear
 
Somebodyperson's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methlab View Post
I dont really care if someone plays an instrument or not but if you claim to be a musician you need to be able to speak the language well enough to play with others. That is what a musician is. There is a language to it which musicians can speak even if they dont know every nuance or have formal training.

Artist - different story. A very debatable but more applicable term.


Yea I guess you are right. In the end, titles, labels, who cares. Just do what you do and dont take life too seriously. I just made this thread to shoot the ****.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump