The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
MIDI clock - anybody ever measured how it behaves passing through MIDI routers?
Old 3 weeks ago
MIDI clock - anybody ever measured how it behaves passing through MIDI routers?

Hi all.

I was reading this thread -->

Which MIDI patchbay: MAV-8, KMX-8, ME30P, ME80P, A880, MJC8, MTP AV, MX-8 or Nexus 3?

because I took part in a jam session 3 weeks ago, where we had 14 musicians, each of them with their own rig.
Of course, we wanted to have only *one* MIDI master clock (generated by an E-RM MultiClock) and to distribute it to everyone. The MultiClock was connected to an AKAI ME30P which was simply working as a distributor (1 input from the MultiClock, sent to all outputs). The ones connected directly to this ME30P were having no issues with sync on their equipment (me, for example, I was receiving the master clock into my Roland SBX-1 and from that one into my BeatStep Pro and some other device). Connected to the ME30P (cascaded) there was another AKAI (ME80P) and the guys connected to that one would fail to remain in sync!!!
We also tried a Waldorf MIDIbay in place of the ME80P - same problems. Finally we got it working with a Kawai MAV-8 (which is most probably *hardware-only*, without any CPU or similar).

To cut a long story short: after the above mentioned jam session, one of the group took it serious and offered to measure with an oscilloscope the behavior of different MIDI boxes.

I participated in this very technical session (which took some 4 hours, btw) and we measured half a dozen devices (not only MIDI patchbays/routers, but also clock generating units). We've for sure seen that the Beatstep Pro has a really poor signal: a huge bias noise and tremendous ripples on the high level of the midi clock signal. Also, it seemed that the best one was the Yamaha MCJ-8, as it probably is doing it only in hardware...

So - has anybody ever taken it this serious as well and made some measurements?

Thanks for sharing/replying/commenting.
F.

PS: I've asked if I might share the results of our tests - I'll get back to you all!
Old 3 weeks ago
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by KomaBot View Post
Hi KomaBot - thanks, I already was aware of that link. I'm not sure we did the same tests, because in fact we did not check any note on/off events. We merely were measuring the MIDI clock pulses as they were being put out from each device (MOTU MIDI Express 128 XT, for example).

The reference MIDI clock signal was very clean and stems from the MIDIbox project.

F.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Definitely interested in the results!!!
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlavioB View Post
PS: I've asked if I might share the results of our tests - I'll get back to you all!
I'd be fascinated to see those results. those are the kinds of things worth knowing.
really, not knowing those kinds of things, won't help make things better.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search