The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Help identify this lovely synth sound?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict
AAS chromosome and their other plugins are awesome if a bit specific, overall. Definitely specializes in this kind of thing.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noisewagon View Post
Yes...sorry... I hand the torch off to you.

But I stand by my original post... see the solo in this song..

Wrong side of the bed, yes, my property taxes came in today and then my mother called and asked if I can do all the cooking on thanksgiving, and my brother's wife is coming, god I hate that bitch!
You have a stove in the basement? J/k. I just had surgery on my shoulder a couple days ago....I’m not in such good spirits either.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

That pluck doesn’t sound subtractive to me. I think mossie23 has the right idea.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut
Quote:
It's just a simple pulse wave through a low pass filter with some chorus...The "pluckiness" is achieved with...get this- an envelope.
I wanna apologize.. you were pretty much right with this I think. I finally got off my lazy ass and created this in Thor (not exactly my synth of choice), and it's pretty close. Not quite as lifelike or nice somehow, but that's probably because it's software.

I have an OB-6 and a Voyager, I wonder if I could do it on either of those.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

You should be able to make a very good copy with either one of your synths. The OB-6 only has a 12db filter, but you can still get some good pluck textures by keeping the filter frequency fairly low, below 50%, and using a judicious amount of filter envelope. Both of them offer a good mix of oscillators and pulse / rectangle waveforms with sawtooth mixed in. The Moog has that beefy filter which would come in handy for thick plucky effects.

For those insisting it has to be physical modeling, FM or whatever, have you even tried with an analog style synth or software, before you shoot the idea down?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by synthguy View Post
For those insisting it has to be physical modeling, FM or whatever, have you even tried with an analog style synth or software, before you shoot the idea down?
I’ve made hundreds of plucked sounds on dozens of synths. It’s a common thing to do.
I haven’t read anyone in the thread insisting the example “has to be” physical modeling, maybe I missed it. It sounds to me more like physical modeling than subtractive synthesis. It’s easy to make a plucked sound with any kind of synthesis, so the OP will be able to get in the ballpark regardless.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by squint View Post
cravedanger.com - the songs are in order of release (newest first). last 3 on the page are depeche mode covers
Good stuff!

One of mine:

Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut
Quote:
Good stuff!

One of mine:

Haha I actually like it a lot
Though I can’t find it on Spotify or Apple Music or iTunes?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by squint View Post
Not quite as lifelike or nice somehow, but that's probably because it's software.
Nope, that's because it's subtractive. Subtractive is good for many things, not for lifelike plucks. It will always sound synthetic, which is often what you want. The sound you're looking for has a springy quality to my ears (and to some others in this thread as well) that you just can't do with subtractive.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by synthguy View Post
I'm not insisting, PM would just be my first approach. I think I have a pretty good grasp of what different types of synths can do, and I know very well what a pluck on a subtractive synth sounds like. Like I said already twice, the release doesn't sound like a filter closing to me. So only when all other options have been tried, I would try a subractive synth. But I have provided a sound example, that I thought was already in the ballpark. If you're so sure it can be done with subtractive, let's hear it!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search