The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
$1300-1500: Prologue 16, Hydrasynth, Jupiter Xm, or..?
Old 2 weeks ago
  #31
Lives for gear
 
apessino's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by felis View Post
Osmose looks interesting, but not enough information yet.
I have seen more than enough!

In all seriousness, we have seen plenty for an instrument that's still 6 months away from production.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #32
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
I find that a kind of weird statement. Is there some sort of spreadsheet that lists how much each feature should cost? I just judge any instrument by how much I want it. The REV2 seems about right.
REV2 doesn't seem overpriced to me, just out of bounds for the price point comparison, my main curiosity in this thread (and it's idle, and you know that can kill cats, though I'm not a cat but I'd be sad losing a toe or something, so maybe I should stop before it's too late?).
Old 2 weeks ago
  #33
Gear Guru
 
zerocrossing's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by felis View Post
Osmose looks interesting, but not enough information yet.
I’m watching the Cuckoo demo now... and it is pushing my G.A.S. Up to 11.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #34
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
I’m watching the Cuckoo demo now... and it is pushing my G.A.S. Up to 11.
It sure looks and sounds beautiful! Great demo. Another major step in keyboard design. Surely worth the price even just for the controller; with the Haaken sound engine in there, even better.

I feel at this point like I should just sell everything, take a two-year nap and see where we are at that point, things are advancing rapidly.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #35
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by apessino View Post
I have seen more than enough!

In all seriousness, we have seen plenty for an instrument that's still 6 months away from production.
OK - I watched a couple of their videos, and the Osmose looks very, very good.

I can see only a couple problems with it for myself though - one major one, and maybe a couple minor ones.

I know from experience with using release velocity for many years, that the Osmose would spoil me for using other keyboards.
You give them the input (RV), and they don't give back any output.
Once you get used to it, it's hard to do without, and other gear looks severely lacking.

The Osmose would take this to a whole new level. With other keyboards, you'd be giving it the input (side-to-side, partial keystrokes, or whatever), and you wouldn't be getting back any output.
As long as you had an Osmose - not much problem. But if anything happened to it, or the company, it would be a major loss.
And if you became really proficient with using it, it would be a major transition to go back to other keyboards.
I don't know anything about the company.

Also, there's not much info about if it can be configured to work with other gear, and if it can, to what extent. And if the inputs can be translated to outputs other gear can use.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #36
Gear Guru
 
zerocrossing's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by realtrance View Post
It sure looks and sounds beautiful! Great demo. Another major step in keyboard design. Surely worth the price even just for the controller; with the Haaken sound engine in there, even better.

I feel at this point like I should just sell everything, take a two-year nap and see where we are at that point, things are advancing rapidly.
If you can travel back in time, let me know how the otters are.

Old 2 weeks ago
  #37
Gear Guru
 
zerocrossing's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by felis View Post
OK - I watched a couple of their videos, and the Osmose looks very, very good.

I can see only a couple problems with it for myself though - one major one, and maybe a couple minor ones.

I know from experience with using release velocity for many years, that the Osmose would spoil me for using other keyboards.
You give them the input (RV), and they don't give back any output.
Once you get used to it, it's hard to do without, and other gear looks severely lacking.

The Osmose would take this to a whole new level. With other keyboards, you'd be giving it the input (side-to-side, partial keystrokes, or whatever), and you wouldn't be getting back any output.
As long as you had an Osmose - not much problem. But if anything happened to it, or the company, it would be a major loss.
And if you became really proficient with using it, it would be a major transition to go back to other keyboards.
I don't know anything about the company.

Also, there's not much info about if it can be configured to work with other gear, and if it can, to what extent. And if the inputs can be translated to outputs other gear can use.
Osmose puts out what’s called “MPE” data. MIDI Polyphonic Expression. Here’s a list of compatible hardware and software instruments.

https://support.roli.com/support/sol...nd-instruments

From what I can tell, it can also spit out basic MIDI and polyphonic and monophonic aftertouch as well, which a ton of software and hardware already accepts, so it looks like it’ll be at home running your old MIDI gear too. I hear what you’re saying about getting “ruined” by something like this, but why live in fear? It is better to have loved, etc, etc. I have decided that I will no longer purchase instruments that don’t at least understand polyphonic aftertouch. (Mono aftertouch if they’re monophonic) It limits me, but also helps keep things tidy and keeps G.A.S. at bay.

When I’m playing a basic analog like my Dominion 1, my mind just instantly adapts to it. Knobs and the pressure strips become my extra vectors for expression. When I switch from guitar to bass, I don’t wonder where the extra strings are, or why they’re so thick. When I move from my Rise to my S2, you just instinctually make the adaptation. You just get it. I really wouldn’t hesitate on getting something like this. The build will probably be great if it’s anything like my Touché. By the time it wears out, you’ll probably be able to do a wetware neural connection directly into Eigenmatrix 5000.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #38
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
If you can travel back in time, let me know how the otters are.

Right on it, guvnor! yes, sir! I meant Eagan sound engine, btw... northern European names all sound alike to me, it's a kind of dyslexia.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #39
Lives for gear
 
daviddever's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by realtrance View Post
So here’s the interesting Black Friday Sale 2019 question:

If you were getting a synth at the $1300 or so price point, which of the above, or what else, would you choose, and why?
Within the confines of your question, the Jupiter-Xm is pretty good bang for buck.

That said, though–how much is that stretch from $500 to $1500 getting you, really? Do you need another polysynth, or rather another twee monosynth to give you a different flavor?
Old 2 weeks ago
  #40
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by daviddever View Post
Within the confines of your question, the Jupiter-Xm is pretty good bang for buck.

That said, though–how much is that stretch from $500 to $1500 getting you, really? Do you need another polysynth, or rather another twee monosynth to give you a different flavor?
Always the ultimate question. Especially these days, with a new Behringer seemingly announced daily.

In my case, I’m happy to see iVCS3 updated today; that really is an amazing soft synth emulation, with a rather broad, interesting library of sounds now, too.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #41
Gear Nut
 

The Prologue 16 can apparently be had for a flat $1,000 now via Adorama’s Black Friday sale.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #42
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
....

When I’m playing a basic analog like my Dominion 1, my mind just instantly adapts to it. Knobs and the pressure strips become my extra vectors for expression. When I switch from guitar to bass, I don’t wonder where the extra strings are, or why they’re so thick. When I move from my Rise to my S2, you just instinctually make the adaptation. You just get it. I really wouldn’t hesitate on getting something like this. The build will probably be great if it’s anything like my Touché. By the time it wears out, you’ll probably be able to do a wetware neural connection directly into Eigenmatrix 5000.
I'm wired different, I guess. Using release velocity is so deeply ingrained in my playing (I learned using it), that if I can't program a keyboard to react to my playing, I consider it broken. End of story.
I do play other instruments and have no problems with the transitions there.

Sorry for the thread derail realtrance. I'll think of some other good ways to blow 1300 to 1500.
I'm good with what I have, so I can afford to play games like that.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #43
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by felis View Post
I'm wired different, I guess. Using release velocity is so deeply ingrained in my playing (I learned using it), that if I can't program a keyboard to react to my playing, I consider it broken. End of story.
I do play other instruments and have no problems with the transitions there.

Sorry for the thread derail realtrance. I'll think of some other good ways to blow 1300 to 1500.
I'm good with what I have, so I can afford to play games like that.
Same here, thanks!
Old 2 weeks ago
  #44
Gear Guru
 
zerocrossing's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by felis View Post
I'm wired different, I guess. Using release velocity is so deeply ingrained in my playing (I learned using it), that if I can't program a keyboard to react to my playing, I consider it broken. End of story.
I do play other instruments and have no problems with the transitions there.

Sorry for the thread derail realtrance. I'll think of some other good ways to blow 1300 to 1500.
I'm good with what I have, so I can afford to play games like that.
I do get that. I feel that way about aftertouch. When I sold my TS-10, I replaced it with some Edirol controller and I didn’t even bother to check to see if it had aftertouch. I’d had the TS-10, and before that a DW8000, for so long that I just began to assume that aftertouch was something synths now had. I remember trying to figure out why it wasn’t working. When the truth was revealed, that thing went right back and was replaced with a Novation Remote 61... which I still have today. (Though now gets used my my daughter for keyboard lessons.)

I guess the difference is, when I come across an instrument that I feel is “broken” due to a missing feature, I sometimes feel compelled to work with it if there is something else outstanding about it. I’m not going to give up on my analogs because they don’t react to MPE, because I find the character of the sound to be irresistible. I do have to sort of force myself to get past what they lack, though if you do notice, there’s not a synth in my studio that doesn’t respond to at least channel aftertouch. I guess that’s my release velocity.

Anyway, I still think that you may kick yourself to pass on something like the Osmose. I’m 90% convinced that it’s worth ditching my S2 for, and I love how that keyboard feels.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #45
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
I do get that. I feel that way about aftertouch. When I sold my TS-10, I replaced it with some Edirol controller and I didn’t even bother to check to see if it had aftertouch. I’d had the TS-10, and before that a DW8000, for so long that I just began to assume that aftertouch was something synths now had. I remember trying to figure out why it wasn’t working. When the truth was revealed, that thing went right back and was replaced with a Novation Remote 61... which I still have today. (Though now gets used my my daughter for keyboard lessons.)

I guess the difference is, when I come across an instrument that I feel is “broken” due to a missing feature, I sometimes feel compelled to work with it if there is something else outstanding about it. I’m not going to give up on my analogs because they don’t react to MPE, because I find the character of the sound to be irresistible. I do have to sort of force myself to get past what they lack, though if you do notice, there’s not a synth in my studio that doesn’t respond to at least channel aftertouch. I guess that’s my release velocity.

Anyway, I still think that you may kick yourself to pass on something like the Osmose. I’m 90% convinced that it’s worth ditching my S2 for, and I love how that keyboard feels.
I can definitely see how for a guitarist or organist, or any stringed instrument player, the multiple motion per note controls would be an intuitive and desirable design.

I’d have the same problem with it I’d have with Yamaha’s VL 1 wind instrument emulator, or Roland’s AX Edge or Aerophone: it demands, really, a non-trivial commitment to mastering techniques I don’t have or that are natural or even ergonomic to me. Sure, it could be an interesting and intriguing exploration, but I’ve already got plenty to explore already (including DCS’s new F-16CM block 50 Viper! Wow!), so it’s just not on the menu for me, nor is it going to be.

Even after touch is a step too far; I definitely see its use for performers, to emphasize vibrato on a sustained chord, say, but it’s too imprecise to control (as channel after touch in a full-size keyboard; the Microfreak’s capacitive touch sensitive keyboard is a different story entirely) to be generally useful, so I mostly don’t use it while playing.

It’s like The Statue of Liberty; good to know it’s there, but I’m unlikely to go visit it very often, if at all.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump