The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Your fave tape-style delay pedal for dub stabs?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staticbuster View Post
... At this point I think I’m leaning towards the Dunlop Echoplex and a Strymon El Capistan to cover both Roland and Binson tape sounds.
?? neither of those does Binson.

...and Binson is not tape.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I use an old Digitech Timebender for those kind of delays in a relatively cheap used emulation pedal. Only pay more than $130 if you don't mind losing the difference when you resell. $150 tops. It's got better tape emus (fixed and moving head sounds and quirks when you adjust on the fly) than you'd expect from its looks and current market price. The tone knob acts like a HPF as it's turned up. It does feedback oscillation past 2 or 3 o'clock on the repeats. It's got a bunch of preset delay patterns, or you can play your own pattern of up to 6 taps and it will use that rhythm for the delay repeats. You can even use a drum loop to contribute the custom repeat pattern. Stereo or mono, seems to handle normal synth levels fine. You can set and display the tempo in bpm or seconds (milli on up to 5), tap the tempo, or play the tempo in. The usual: note subdivisions, blinding tempo LED, and typical digital pedal bells and whistles. The bypass and dry signal seem legit... no tone-suck.

No MIDI. It's big and heavy for a pedal. No dedicated kill-switch for runaway feedback. There's a looper which I haven't tried because you can't use it with the delay. The special pitch-shifted delays (you don't have to use these) give a trippy unique vibe, but chords screw up the pitch shifter. You can only store 4 presets. Supposedly, you can double that if you use an expression pedal and save 1 preset to heel position and 1 to toe. I haven't tried that.

I wouldn't especially go looking for this pedal just for dub sounds. But if it pops locally for the right price, don't dismiss it out of hand due to its looks or lineage (and no, I'm not trying to sell mine, it's staying around). There are lots of affordable HW delays that do a good enough emulation, each with their pros and cons. The Timebender is a possibility, but even more, it's a literary device for me to mention some features and gotchas to keep in mind or look out for. And a reminder that you don't always need the latest and greatest - a shiny new Volante probably is better in many ways, and certainly looks the part. But man that's alot to pay for a modern delay pedal.
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuonacc View Post
?? neither of those does Binson.

...and Binson is not tape.
Ok yeah, I got my signals all crossed, you’re right. I tend to think of all those old big-box delay units as tape, but yes the Echorec was a drum. Interestingly enough, Catalinbread makes an Echorec clone pedal...
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

The Boss RE-20 is like my favorite pedal. I play in several reggae bands and it’s perfect for live dub. For recording I’d imagine there are lots of more hifi options out there. Many musicians I work with also use the Line 6 big green modeler. I think it sounds great and I’ve been looking into the M9 which has midi.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by toescuffe View Post
The Boss RE-20 is like my favorite pedal. I play in several reggae bands and it’s perfect for live dub. For recording I’d imagine there are lots of more hifi options out there. Many musicians I work with also use the Line 6 big green modeler. I think it sounds great and I’ve been looking into the M9 which has midi.

sssshhhttt! we're on GS! We're cork-sniffing here in our (wo)men-caves with oscilloscopes! Don't talk here about actually performing music to audiences! Jeezzzzzzz
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by olafmol View Post
sssshhhttt! we're on GS! We're cork-sniffing here in our (wo)men-caves with oscilloscopes! Don't talk here about actually performing music to audiences! Jeezzzzzzz
Apologies. I don't know what I was thinking.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staticbuster View Post
Ok yeah, I got my signals all crossed, you’re right. I tend to think of all those old big-box delay units as tape, but yes the Echorec was a drum. Interestingly enough, Catalinbread makes an Echorec clone pedal...
The DD-500 does it all and it all very well. RE-201, EP2, EP3, Echorec, and numerous analog delay pedals, vintage digital rack delays, modern delay effects, and additional modulation effects, freeze, looping, on and on. One stop shopping.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search