The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Dedicated MIDI interface over Midi port audio interface?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head
Dedicated MIDI interface over Midi port audio interface?

Which is better in terms of latency and quality???
Using the Scarlett audio interface MIDI out port and chaining all my synths and drummachines with the thru ports?? Or getting a USB Midi interface with 4 ins and outs so I can connect every machine to it's own port?? I read somewhere that splitting audio and midi is always better. Now I have one usb cable that handles all my audio ins and also handles MIDI messages. If I get an midi interface I would have 1 USB cable handling Midi messages and 1 usb cable for only audio in&out...

My goal is to have the least possible latency..
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Chaining devices with Midi thru ports is just less flexible in general, and I'm not a fan of it. How many devices are you needing to hook up?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by proverbs View Post
Chaining devices with Midi thru ports is just less flexible in general, and I'm not a fan of it. How many devices are you needing to hook up?
2 drummachines, 2 mono synths. Ableton is my masterclock and sequencer. So i'm sending start/stop, clock AND midi notes from ableton to my machines and the audio is going into Ableton. pretty much a pain in the ass to sync everything perfectly, when adjusting the midi delay compensation, the clock AND outgoing miidi notes go completly out of sync..
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

USB MIDI interface with multiple MIDI Outs should behave significantly better.

(but if you're going to use more than one USB MIDI/audio device, you'll run into sync issues/glitches anyway.)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search