The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
NAMM 2020 - Your Predictions, Rumors and Desires...
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Single osc 2600 muffled square saw something! Great singing, guitar by Bibson , srums by Yhamklonk , eh crap sorta, like most NAMM these days! Well i dunno, BorkBork ruck and reull folks!...I need more party beer! heey waitress!? can i .....ha burp!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by realtrance View Post
Ditto, essentially, Yamaha, though they’ve been even more conservative with new R&D releases, that primarily being Montage.
I don't follow Yamaha much but the new CP an YCs strike me as pretty significant. They, along with the ReFace, show that they're paying attention to more specialized synths beyond workstations. I don't think they're done with that line of thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by realtrance View Post
[...]They tend to go in five-year cycles. For Roland, the peak of their new R&D showed up about 5 years ago, with the AIRA line, and JD-XA and System 8. Their pre-NAMM releases were basically refreshes of their mainstream tech, with evolutionary improvements. I don’t think we’ll see anything truly breakout from them until 2025 or so.
Roland's last big release (Fantom, JPs, MCs) is a much bigger deal than it looks like, partly because of the interface design work (notably Fantom), partly because they're based around their new generation BMC chip they've been rolling out since 2015 or so, it brings the power needed for their new tech, partly because they roll out that mysterious "ZEN-Core" engine/system/wtv, which, by my understanding, was a major effort to update and consolidate their development platform to ease and speed up the development of instruments, and partly because of the "release not quite finish, flesh out later based on feedback" development style (compared to the more "fire and forget" they were known for before).

This is not as flashy as ACB was, but it's major R&D and big structural/strategic changes, foundation for the coming decade. It's less tech that matters now, everything's pretty darn good and readily available these days, but how well one maintains ones relationships with one's customers, and that's something Roland has been working on.

It's the number one reason I've been excited about what they're doing since their 2014 rebirth.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmboos View Post
It appears the Keystep Pro is the only sequencer released so far? And no drum machine/synth?

Also I can't imagine Korg not having a Volca (or two).
the launchpad pro is also a standalone sequencer (more limited but different format).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyBox View Post

This is not as flashy as ACB was, but it's major R&D and big structural/strategic changes, foundation for the coming decade.
yes, but it seems like right now roland is trying to figure out what to do with this new tech and it also seems to be trying to find a new visual identity for it's products. which can only mean good things long term. they have to figure out exactly what to do and starting unifying their product lines so it's easy for the customers to understand what they are doing because right now to me it seems like nobody is talking to anybody between different teams.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Old 1 week ago
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Gaia View Post
[*]Hands-on feedback regarding the Osmose. Nope! Expressive E isn’t bringing it while the team works feverishly to get it ready for production this summer.
?
Are you're about that? That surprises me. I received an apology from Expressive E a couple of days ago for a delayed response to a Touché technical question - their reason being that they are en route to NAMM. Would they really go to the trouble and expense just to show off their years-old Touché devices when they've got the Osmose waiting in the wings? As a pre-orderer, I was really hoping it would be there.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pppch View Post
Whoa... so it's an STM32 dev board made by Korg?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtFluids View Post
Whoa... so it's an STM32 dev board made by Korg?
Korg NTS-1 Digital Kit is a synthesizer based on the digital multi engine as it is used as an oscillator in the Prologue and Minilogue XD synthesizers. A number of third-party providers have already programmed a number of different OSC and FX algorithms.

Korg is now putting the building instructions for a Reference Custom Panel online, which you can use as a starting point for your own developments. There is also a list of the required components as well as instructions for assembling the board and for Arduino programming.
The Reference Custom Panel is equipped with eight buttons and LEDs, as well as a controller, in a very minimalist way, but can be expanded and modified in this regard as well as in the design.
The custom panel or your own construction is then placed on the NTS-1's board instead of the original Korg panel and can then be used to operate the synthesizer. This requires an update of the NTS firmware to version 1.10, which should be available for download from the end of January.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyBox View Post
I don't follow Yamaha much but the new CP an YCs strike me as pretty significant. They, along with the ReFace, show that they're paying attention to more specialized synths beyond workstations. I don't think they're done with that line of thought.

Roland's last big release (Fantom, JPs, MCs) is a much bigger deal than it looks like, partly because of the interface design work (notably Fantom), partly because they're based around their new generation BMC chip they've been rolling out since 2015 or so, it brings the power needed for their new tech, partly because they roll out that mysterious "ZEN-Core" engine/system/wtv, which, by my understanding, was a major effort to update and consolidate their development platform to ease and speed up the development of instruments, and partly because of the "release not quite finish, flesh out later based on feedback" development style (compared to the more "fire and forget" they were known for before).

This is not as flashy as ACB was, but it's major R&D and big structural/strategic changes, foundation for the coming decade. It's less tech that matters now, everything's pretty darn good and readily available these days, but how well one maintains ones relationships with one's customers, and that's something Roland has been working on.

It's the number one reason I've been excited about what they're doing since their 2014 rebirth.
Roland is maybe the most innovative company, but I think a lot of users don’t care about the technological aspect of their synths, or Roland’s effort in investment and innovation. I think most customers care about of what each synth has to offer and at which price, and that’s it. Fair enough, I belong into this category of users. Roland in a lot of cases put a little bit higher prices than the competition and this effects negatively their sales.

I will give you a simple example. Korg Wavestate with full size keys costs 0.8K and the Jupiter Xm with mini keys costs 1.5K. Yet another example is the MC 101, because a lot of users think that it is overpriced for what it offers, and the Boutiques and so on…
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nice187 View Post
Roland in a lot of cases put a little bit higher prices than the competition and this effects negatively their sales.
i think their sales are doing fine. but they would be much better if they priced their gear a bit better. the system 8 is a great sounding synth. every time i have a go on one in a shop i spend way more time than i want to there. but i can't justify it's price for such a simple architecture in a digital synth. sounds great, but not 1300 euro great. not with the rev 2 only 150 euro more and the king korg way bellow. even so, i see roland gear in every studio and i own some myself.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

In fact MC707 initial price was 1000€ and now is under 800€... and still overpriced.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by KriticalMass View Post
Are you're about that? That surprises me. I received an apology from Expressive E a couple of days ago for a delayed response to a Touché technical question - their reason being that they are en route to NAMM. Would they really go to the trouble and expense just to show off their years-old Touché devices when they've got the Osmose waiting in the wings? As a pre-orderer, I was really hoping it would be there.
They put out a message explaining that while they, as a company, are going to NAMM, the Osmose team are staying at home to crack on with the development work.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicBern View Post
They will be able to drop the BASS on us at any time...
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Its great to see the Full Sized MS-20. I preferred the Kit but I know some did not want to have to build one. Not only do they have a chance to buy this classic now, but they can have it in any of four colours...

It will be an even bigger box though...

Army, Navy, Air force and Underground HQ
Army, Navy, Air Force, Space Force

Edit: ah....someone beat me to it
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

It looks so ruvery... drool, slober, hmmmmm...
That's a more realistic price.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

2HP enters the lunchbox arena...

https://www.gearnews.com/namm-2020-2...dular-systems/

Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Just read about the Oberheim clone... "Available for preorder on Kickstarter..."

I wish people would stop saying that. Kickstarter is not a pre-order platform; it is a platform for venture capital where instead of a stake in the company's returns, you get one of the first products. If the funding is unsuccessful, usually no product comes. And as a VC-centric view, the company/person/organization can fail, so you are putting your money at risk. The pre-order myth perpetuates the idea that there should be no risk involved. Many of the people on Kickstarter are first time developers of their product, there is actually a good amount of risk that the project will not succeed even though the funding went well.

OK, sorry, just felt that needed to be said. I just tire of people whining where is my product, you cheated me, sometimes when the project is only a few months late.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebodyperson View Post
Army, Navy, Air Force, Space Force

Edit: ah....someone beat me to it
I'd sleep better if I knew Space Ghost was on duty personally.

Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubbylabby View Post
In fact MC707 initial price was 1000€ and now is under 800€... and still overpriced.
True, it should cost about 100-150 euros, not more. It has nothing to offer.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Surprises. The Wavestate intrigues me more than I thought it would. Evidently I miss my old Wavestation A/D and they’ve done a masterful job updating it. Except for the whole 3-octave no aftertouch thing. I’ve almost talked myself into thinking of it as an oversized desktop module. Almost.
The inclusion of balanced outs tells me they will slot this into a bigger keyboard at some point. Possibly dependant on sales success albeit likely already well into planning/product development in any case if so...
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebodyperson View Post
That's a more realistic price.
Which I had suggested, the earlier leak had peeps worried for no reason...
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
Still no sign of the Korg Nautilus. Is it coming to NAMM this year? Is it a red herring? Or are they going for the “one more thing” moment? Admittedly it seems greedy to want more given the evident embarrassment of riches (or poverty, depending on how you look at it.) Still, I had hoped for a few specific things this NAMM:
  • Sequential’s new baby. Check! I’m not entirely sold on letting go of my last open space, but the Pro 3 has a lot going for it.
  • Hands-on feedback regarding the Osmose. Nope! Expressive E isn’t bringing it while the team works feverishly to get it ready for production this summer.
  • Updates to the MotU AVB series. Not a whiff so far, which suggests that a second 828es might be in my future.
  • Serious competition for the Kurzweil Forte, ideally in the form of a successor, but a competitor that suits my needs better would be just as interesting. Nada. Obviously we know what Roland is doing there, but any Korg updates remain elusive and Yamaha may just ride their Montage OS v3 for a while longer.
  • Surprises. The Wavestate intrigues me more than I thought it would. Evidently I miss my old Wavestation A/D and they’ve done a masterful job updating it. Except for the whole 3-octave no aftertouch thing. I’ve almost talked myself into thinking of it as an oversized desktop module. Almost.

Who else has a list they’re still waiting to fill?
Kronos
Kronos
Kronos

Or equivalent
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

In my case
  • DSI/Sequential/Oberheim: a new polysynth from them, The P~6 and OB-6 are pretty butch polys, but a six or eight voice version of Pro3 would sure light a GAS fire with me for something Moogy for less than the price of a Moog One. Likewise a Matrix synth, eight or twelve voice, like an Mx-12 on steroids, though the price of both would likely be over $3000 US. Or Tom taking the Shear Electronics OB-X clone under his wing, either desktop module and/or keyboard, but be prepared to pay for it too.
  • KORG: whatever Nautilus is, which as monumental as that name is, should either be a Kronos replacement, or a polysynth in the vein of the Trident.
  • Moog: Something polyphonic, like an eight voice Subsequent 37 to sit nicely in the price range of the OB-6 or Prophet~X.
  • Yamaha: waiting to see if they'll get off their duff and produce a poly of their own, even a VA. A digital version of the CS-80 would suit me fine, or a much higher dollar analog would work. I'd expect a VA to cost up to $2000, a polyanalog could easily reach $4000 or more.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by synthguy View Post
  • DSI/Sequential/Oberheim: a new polysynth from them, The P~6 and OB-6 are pretty butch polys, but a six or eight voice version of Pro3 would sure light a GAS fire with me for something Moogy for less than the price of a Moog One
Looks like you're GASing for a Studio Electronics Omega 8
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gminorcoles View Post
Kronos
Kronos
Kronos

Or equivalent
That is the all white edition with red knobs, sliders, buttons.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotcha View Post
Wait to behringer :mrgreen:
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

Who else has a list they’re still waiting to fill?

No list to fill - pretty full up.
There's always things I'd like to see, but I've come to realize that I can't expect them.
They most likely won't happen. I think I already listed stuff way back early in this thread.
There's been a ton of nice stuff announced already, but nothing that I'd get.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmboos View Post
2HP enters the lunchbox arena...
it's cool, and cute, but who really wants an entire 2hp system? 2hp has some very cool modules. but i would venture a guess that most people buy them because they have 2, 4 or 6 hp left and can only squeeze in that much in that small space. so they go and throw another lfo or mixer or a vco in there. can't imagine working with an entire system, plus having to deal with the tiny knobs right next to those tall lips from the box.

but definitely a cool system. is there a price? can't see it under 1k
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfiedotwtf View Post
Looks like you're GASing for a Studio Electronics Omega 8
I did, a long time ago. But for that price, I'd just as soon pony up a bit more and get that magnificent Moog One.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex.G View Post
Next iteration of KeyStep and BeatStep
oh noo
win win
Arturia Keystep Pro!!!
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotcha View Post
BTW

https://www.thomann.de/es/akai_mpc_one.htm

Compare the price against the Mc707 and try to defend it again...
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search