Osmose by Expressive E
Old 11th November 2020 | Show parent
Gear Head

Then they should share that.
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by crapinet View Post
I'm definitely not cancelling. There is nothing like the osmose out there. It would be different if this was expressive e's first product.
...neither will I, but I have a slight intuition they somewhat overstretched themselves with the Early-adopter price tag and all the Corona-blaming is just an excuse. May be they just want many to cancel their preorder ??
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearsLust View Post
...neither will I, but I have a slight intuition they somewhat overstretched themselves with the Early-adopter price tag and all the Corona-blaming is just an excuse. May be they just want many to cancel their preorder ??
Perhaps, but that's really quite a leap. From what I know, Expressive-E would really prefer to have not experienced the Covid-impediments, so they could begin 'normal' sales sooner rather than later. But 2020 has really been quite the wrench-in-the-works for everyone.

There appears to be quite significant demand for the Osmose, so the idea that they'd delay release (which would delay full-price sales) in an attempt to minimize the impact of the early-adopter discount is sort of... a stretch.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearsLust View Post
...neither will I, but I have a slight intuition they somewhat overstretched themselves with the Early-adopter price tag and all the Corona-blaming is just an excuse.
I've seen nothing in their communication that would suggest this is the case. They've been transparent, and the hurdles they describe in setting up mass production without being on-site are spot on. I've been involved in numerous mass-market device launches and the logistics leading up to producing the first saleable units do indeed depend on a lot of on-the-spot decisions and quality checks that are impractical this year. If you add a week to every one-hour decision checkpoint it unavoidably adds up.
Old 11th November 2020
Lives for gear

Personally, I'd rather them not ship until they can get on-site. Lots of errors can creep in without having a proper inspection. I don't want to be the guy who has to tell them they got it wrong.
Old 11th November 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Now where would have a guy appeared on this site for a similar situation ? ;.)
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendell r. View Post
Now where would have a guy appeared on this site for a similar situation ? ;.)
Probably in the Prophet 5/10 thread
Gear Head

i’m honestly pretty happy with Expressive E’s communication about the constantly adjusting timeline. the pandemic has been an absolute nightmare for companies in every field, especially smaller ones like Expressive E. I can’t imagine the sort of supply chain adjustments and the kind of bad news they’re receiving on a daily basis

they’re not a completely unknown kickstarter and i have faith they will come through. no intention of cancelling my pre order, and i’m happy to wait as long as it takes for the product to be finalized as nothing really matches it on the current market. i just hope they take their time and really get it right instead of rushing to release it
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by flotscam View Post
i just hope they take their time and really get it right instead of rushing to release it
Given just how different this thing is, this feels extra-important. I'd hate to see a bad release here turn folks off MPE controllers more generally.
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuboctahedron View Post
Given just how different this thing is, this feels extra-important. I'd hate to see a bad release here turn folks off MPE controllers more generally.
definitely. i think Expressive E have built a pretty good reputation so far with the touché as well, but they’ll want to solidify themselves at the forefront of MPE instruments by making sure the Osmose is water tight upon its release
Old 12th November 2020 | Show parent
Gear Addict
Everything everyone is saying about 'better delayed than bungled' I totally agree with. But I do think it wouldn't hurt if they were to provide a simple update to backers each month - when communication suddenly stops like this, it does create worries, unnecessary or otherwise. Wouldn't have taken them more than a few minutes to cobble together a simple 'nothing new to share, but still moving forward' email, just to let us know they've not abandoned ship. So they are right to apologise for that I think.
Old 13th November 2020
Gear Head

Well I tell you what.. after trying to buy a ps5 for my kids today multiple times having it in my cart going to pay for it at checkout and getting sold out notices each time I feel a whole lot better knowing I at least have a place held for this product.
Old 13th November 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Over a million deaths estimated from COVID-19 since I ordered ... I'm not worrying about this. It will come.
Old 23rd November 2020
Gear Nut

The “Osmose - November Newsletter” is out via e-mail. Has an update and some new video content.
Old 23rd November 2020
Gear Head

TL;DR
Sorry for no October newsletter - hectic month.
No release date, yet, still too many unknowns.
Next newsletter due early 2021.
Development stage is complete, production commencing.
Quality control problems from lack of having a man in Chinese factory. Parallel production facility set up in France to address these problems.
Old 23rd November 2020 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years

Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalogDigits View Post
The “Osmose - November Newsletter” is out via e-mail. Has an update and some new video content.

Newsletter here;
https://mailchi.mp/expressivee/osmos...4?e=9f69a1100b

Old 23rd November 2020
Gear Head

Liking the ambient vibes
Old 23rd November 2020
Lives for gear

Progress. Slower than planned ... but steady ... no disastrous events reported ... getting there ...
All good for me ...
Old 23rd November 2020
Lives for gear

They are using big words like "complexify". The AKM fire is effecting the whole audio industry.

https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/pro...-for-12-months
afa
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
So, does the fact that they have established a parallel production line in France mean that preorders are built in France and not in China?

Anyway, I can wait. Make it perfect, take the time to build an awesome preset library and stay safe!!
Old 23rd November 2020
Gear Head

That would be amazing indeed
I guess they would make the minimum in France just to check the production process, but if they want to run off a bunch of them for us early birds ....
Old 23rd November 2020
Lives for gear

I'd guess the France production is mostly to test fully developed units and the equipment that makes them.
Gear Addict

What strikes me for the 1st time is how bulky is the unit, especially for a 4 oct key bed
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by blougui View Post
What strikes me for the 1st time is how bulky is the unit, especially for a 4 oct key bed
Yes, it's not a Behringer Swing.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by blougui View Post
It looks roughly the same thickness from bottom to key top as the touche. In the touche, there are rubber cylinders under the surface that offer opposing resistance to the user input.

https://www.expressivee.com/cat/12-cylinder
Old 24th November 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The moved the availability from dec 2020 to 2021.

The thing is that I really like to check out the keybed but the sound engine it comes with doesn't float my boat for one bit.
Will there be any MPE controller that does feel like a normal keybed instead of squishy rubbery stuff without some sound engine attached that doesn't interest me?
Old 24th November 2020 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuse View Post

The thing is that I really like to check out the keybed but the sound engine it comes with doesn't float my boat for one bit.
Will there be any MPE controller that does feel like a normal keybed instead of squishy rubbery stuff without some sound engine attached that doesn't interest me?
I’m sure this will work with any MPE compatible synth. Micromonsta is the most affordable one that I’m aware of.
Old 24th November 2020
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Can't wait to be a novice Osmose player so I can convincingly reproduce the sound of a novice cello player.
Old 24th November 2020 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuse View Post

What don’t you care for in regards to the sound engine?
📝 Reply