The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Who do you like for Reaper tutorials/tips?
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Who do you like for Reaper tutorials/tips?

I'm a self taught Reaper user with many years of experience with a handful of similar applications and I get on with Reaper really well, love it, but one of my friends that I collaborate with and am in the early stages of two new projects with wants to learn it, and I'm neither the best teacher of those things nor do I have the time to do it all myself.

But I do want to setup and config his laptop with it, and then (ideally) put him onto some excellent tutorial videos and such from a real Reaper expert who is a good teacher, and simply - I don't know any of them myself. Plus, when I looked, there's a bunch by various people, so what I'm asking is - of all that, which teachers and videos do you personally suggest / find best?

My friend is a grown man, experienced drummer, keys player, general musician and club DJ, and knows a ton about many aspects of audio and making music and recording, but by mere coincidence he's just never been the one operating Reaper or Pro Tools or Ableton and so on.

So not exactly a beginner, at all, but a mix of rusty and newish to this part.

fwiw - just basic Tracking, Mixing, and Rendering and Exporting things, as we'll be sharing project files back and forth because we're not always in the same state, much less the same city.

Thanks.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Guru

there are few regulars I often find info from.

Reaper Mania
The REAPER Blog
Simon Larkin

find the Reaper Mania one called

Moving the Edit Cursor without Losing Selections

and set that up early on
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muser View Post

Reaper Mania
The REAPER Blog
Simon Larkin

and set that up early on
Excellent. Thank you.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Kenny. His reaper tutorials are pretty awesome.

http://www.kennymania.com/
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by namnibor View Post
Kenny. His reaper tutorials are pretty awesome.

http://www.kennymania.com/
Great. Thank you.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muser View Post

Reaper Mania
The REAPER Blog
Simon Larkin

and set that up early on
found it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xy7g576D9lY

great tip, thanks! that guy is really good
Old 3 days ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by becks bolero View Post
found it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xy7g576D9lY

great tip, thanks! that guy is really good
I seem to be having some trouble getting that working properly. not sure why. maybe some update or change I made at some other time, contributes to the issue at this end. you may have more success.

so now I'm placing the Edit cursor position, by always always clicking in the Ruler. I'm thinking that the best way to always have the track you're working on, the closest to the ruler, is by some Action which tells the selected track to be the first track at the top of the visible window. but I'll do that, if that gets annoying.

just creating regions and markers, then double clicking the region or single clicking the marker seems the best way to navigate the Ruler and your selections. that's how it seems to play best with my needs at least.

fo example, if you have an Item or two selected (which is usually what you want) and you also have a selection with tied in loop points, then if you click on the empty track area, everything is deselected first, then the edit cursor is moved. this behavior basically deselects everything you had selected. that means the selection and loop and item selections just disappear. that for me is the main problem behavior, but it's really hard to change that behavior. been trying all day.

from what I can tell, it's really not worth losing all those selections for some other behavior, which moves the edit cursor to the mouse, but .. still loses all selections. the only time I want to ever lose all selections is when I run a toolbar button, which deselects everything. it's the best safe mode to be in, but I wouldn't want it happening until i needed to make it happen.

but if you look at the Ruler Mouse Modifiers, the default behavior is (Move Mouse Cursor) and that single behavior is missing from the track and item choices. so that means the Ruler is the most logical place to move your edit cursor, independently of the loop and selections. enabling the grid and snap will snap it, and disabling either the snap or grid will let it be placed to finer and finer and finer positions, the more you zoom in.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Head

There are loads of Reaper Techniques articles courtesy of Sound On Sound magazine here:

https://www.soundonsound.com/daws/reaper

Martin
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search