The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Export song as audio file Reason 11..?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Export song as audio file Reason 11..?

I have done this hundreds of times no problems, as is evident by the number of tracks on my youtube channel, but...

Since upgraded to Reason 11 It doesn't work anymore, I have tried till I'm blue in the face, checked every setting ( there aren't many ) but everytime the file that gets exported says it's 148mb but there is no audio at all.

I have changed from using a MOTU interface to the soundcraft mixer and the way you can route stuff is much more flexible, but that doesn't have anything to do with Reason exporting a song as an audio file right..?

I found a work around by bouncing the master as a two track audio file, that works no problems, but I can't export the song from the file menu like I used to do, the file is empty but is 148mb..?

It's something stupid surely, anyone have a clue or come across this before..?

If anyone can be bothered, with Reason 11 can you open a song you've made and then export song as audio file and tell me if it works for you..?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
I found a work around by bouncing the master as a two track audio file, that works no problems, but I can't export the song from the file menu like I used to do, the file is empty but is 148mb..?
Are you starting out from a brand new project or an existing one? To rule out all errors, start from a brand new project.

Quote:
It's something stupid surely, anyone have a clue or come across this before..?
If you export there might be a selection that chooses between either the master buss or a single track for stems. If that track is muted, I'm not surprised you get a silent wave file.

Another option would be that if you're exporting it, the track start/track end markers are set to a part that's completely quiet.

also, completely unrelated: why do you always type two periods in front of a question mark?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer View Post
Are you starting out from a brand new project or an existing one? To rule out all errors, start from a brand new project.

If you export there might be a selection that chooses between either the master buss or a single track for stems. If that track is muted, I'm not surprised you get a silent wave file.

Another option would be that if you're exporting it, the track start/track end markers are set to a part that's completely quiet.

also, completely unrelated: why do you always type two periods in front of a question mark?
Tried other older projects same problem..

left & right and end markers are all set right I've done this a lot so that's something you learn from early on.

.. it's just habit to type periods..sometimes I use 3 for fun... it's the interwebs we can be a bit creative with our periods..

I've sent a ticket into Props support about this hoping they might have an answer, this has me stumped it really does. In Reason there are so very few controls and menus it's so easy that's it's almost impossible to mess it up.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

sigh.. tried again and again, still nothing, when I used to do this before when it worked, you could see the meters on each track & the master meters going up and down quickly as it rendered, now there's nothing at all..??
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Strange, is it your first track after getting reason 11 ? Seeing that the file is there when you export but doesnt have audio I would also guess that something is muted could you try to make a new project a throw a quick drum and see if you can export that ? What about export loop as audio ?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

That’s super weird. I don’t have 11, so can’t try it. I know in 10 it still works. But what if you just do the “bounce mixer channels” function and only select the master bus?
Old 6 days ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinsun View Post
Strange, is it your first track after getting reason 11 ? Seeing that the file is there when you export but doesnt have audio I would also guess that something is muted could you try to make a new project a throw a quick drum and see if you can export that ? What about export loop as audio ?

yes first proper track with v11, and i've spent a real lot of time on it, a lot of effort, have been babying this track all the way and then this happens. I've started something new and will see what happens.. but I have opened old projects and the same thing happens, but if I 'bounce the master chan' you can select what chans to bounce in the drop down, it gives me an unnamed file of the whole song.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kslight View Post
That’s super weird. I don’t have 11, so can’t try it. I know in 10 it still works. But what if you just do the “bounce mixer channels” function and only select the master bus?
yes that works no problems but it gives me an un named stereo file of the entire track on a new audio track or to disk.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
... as is evident by the number of tracks on my youtube channel ...
just checking out your channel again now, it's been a while... man, i love your tunes, just great classic sounding stuff. you were on fire for so long, hope you pick it up again.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuonacc View Post
just checking out your channel again now, it's been a while... man, i love your tunes, just great classic sounding stuff. you were on fire for so long, hope you pick it up again.
thanks, i'm getting there, got two kids on my own, no family support at all, and work nights.. but I make an effort still to write stuff, have 3 tracks on the burner now but this export thing is weird.. I just tried again with another project and it exports a file of 158mb but the file is void of any audio, if I bounce the master chan it's also 158mb but it has audio..what the effin..

oh well work around it is..
Old 6 days ago
Gear Maniac

Just gave it a go, everything worked fine for me using default settings - both new project and an older one.

Was able to break the system by connecting the Master Section output to the wrong audio output in the Audio I/O - this gave me a silent exported file, but still got sound if I bounced the master instead.

Only other thing I can think of is disconnecting any attached interfaces, and seeing how it goes with your computer's built-in output & driver. If it works just fine then you've likely got a driver problem or some sort of interface or mixer routing problem
Old 6 days ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlappyD00 View Post
Just gave it a go, everything worked fine for me using default settings - both new project and an older one.

Was able to break the system by connecting the Master Section output to the wrong audio output in the Audio I/O - this gave me a silent exported file, but still got sound if I bounced the master instead.

Only other thing I can think of is disconnecting any attached interfaces, and seeing how it goes with your computer's built-in output & driver. If it works just fine then you've likely got a driver problem or some sort of interface or mixer routing problem
ahhh this is very informative thanks for this, recently audio stopped working full stop in Firefox and I spent a good few days trying to resolve it giving up in the end, funnily enough audio works in other browsers like Chrome and safari. I think changing interfaces from the MOTU to the Soundcraft has something to do with it but for the life of me I can't work out what it is.. that silent exported file you talk of is probably whats going on with me.

I'll try changing back to the inbuilt audio when exporting and see if that fixes it....or I'll switch the outputs the master is connected to that might be it, currently it's connected to outputs 21/22, maybe I need to connect up to 1/2..?

thanks Flappy.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Guru

ok found the problem, if you connect the master outs to any other outputs than 1/2 it exports a empty audio file, as soon i disconnected from outputs 21/22 and connected to 1/2 the bounced exported song file has audio.

Ok I can work with this just have to remember to do this at the end of each session when exporting.

live n learn.

ok I also worked out what was wrong with firefox, I updated it recently and as soon as I did that audio no longer worked, seems it doesn't like to use any other outs but 1/2..Chrome will allow me to use whatever I route in sound preferences so when the soundcraft wants to use outs 21/22 Chrome says hey that's fine.. not Firefox tho.

Feel like I'm back using windows the last few days..lol
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear

Glad you resolved it, I'll keep that in mind too.
Also just checked your youtube, pretty cool stuff ! Keep at it !
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac

Good to see you got it sorted.
Also, cheers for updating with the solution - can be a wee bit difficult to find other peoples' solutions sometimes.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Guru

All good least this was one of those things that was sorted with not much fuss, and asking here actually helped me figure it out.

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search