The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
SCSI, Akai, Recycle and Windows XP 32 Bit Probs.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head
SCSI, Akai, Recycle and Windows XP 32 Bit Probs.

I know there's threads already on this but I still can't find an answer or work it out.

Tried with loads of different ASPI drivers now, including evaluation of Nexitech. Also 2 different SCSI cards on my XP 32 bit machine, which is a fresh install on a new IDE hard drive (I did notice the SCSI cards both have IDE connectors would it work adding a hard drive directly to the card, has anyone done this?) I have tried with Recycle 2.0, Chicken Translator but no luck at all... Device manager sees SCSI cards (Adaptec ava 2904 and Tekram DC-390) but nothing ever shows for my Akai CD3000XL or Akai S2000 under 'Other Devices' which I am thinking is the issue? It's a brand new SCSI cable as well. Only thing I haven't tested is the PCI connection on the board but I am assuming it's driver related as sees the SCSI cards in DM. Any ideas would be welcome, thank in you
Old 3 weeks ago
TJT
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonAudioO View Post
I know there's threads already on this but I still can't find an answer or work it out.

Tried with loads of different ASPI drivers now, including evaluation of Nexitech. Also 2 different SCSI cards on my XP 32 bit machine, which is a fresh install on a new IDE hard drive (I did notice the SCSI cards both have IDE connectors would it work adding a hard drive directly to the card, has anyone done this?) I have tried with Recycle 2.0, Chicken Translator but no luck at all... Device manager sees SCSI cards (Adaptec ava 2904 and Tekram DC-390) but nothing ever shows for my Akai CD3000XL or Akai S2000 under 'Other Devices' which I am thinking is the issue? It's a brand new SCSI cable as well. Only thing I haven't tested is the PCI connection on the board but I am assuming it's driver related as sees the SCSI cards in DM. Any ideas would be welcome, thank in you
Did you download the drivers from the manufacturers websites for your fresh install of XP?

https://storage.microsemi.com/en-us/...2900/ava-2904/
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJT View Post
Did you download the drivers from the manufacturers websites for your fresh install of XP?

https://storage.microsemi.com/en-us/...2900/ava-2904/
I remember downloading from that site but not sure if it was specifically for that same card now. There is no XP version for that card it seems? Could try the Vista or 98 versions or ME might be closer? Thanks
Old 3 weeks ago
TJT
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonAudioO View Post
I remember downloading from that site but not sure if it was specifically for that same card now. There is no XP version for that card it seems? Could try the Vista or 98 versions or ME might be closer? Thanks
Yeah, there might be a reason why there's no xp version, but I would think that 98 might work.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJT View Post
Yeah, there might be a reason why there's no xp version, but I would think that 98 might work.
Thanks for your reply, will try the 98 drivers. I just found a video about SCSI hard drives and how they need terminating with jumper settings on the drive as well as the sampler (which I believe is set to terminate as standard?). Do you think as using an IDE hard drive that this is not terminated is causing issues?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0i4MxeoatQ
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Jon, IDE doesn't actually have to deal with all that termination junk, but you have to keep track of the master/slave/cable select jumper settings. Shouldn't be related to the issue you're having.

Also, SCSI cards will often use a ribbon similar to IDE for internal connections. It's actually 50 pins, vs. the 40 you usually see for IDE.

If it's any consolation, I've had both of those cards here for samplers, though the Tekram may have been under 98SE. My last one would have been that Adaptec under XPsp3. From what I've seen, Windows' reaction to the alien sampler technology isn't always the same. I know I've got at least one unit here (Roland S-750) which doesn't show up in the device manager or give any notification, though the SCSI card and all its software are working fine. There may be a utility or something which can tell you exactly what's on the bus, but I haven't had to do that in ages.

Lastly, try to find out what SCSI IDs everything is set to, to make sure you don't have any conflicts. Sometimes the sampler may default to the same one the PCI card uses (7, I believe), since they're both expecting to be the host.

Hope you get it worked out.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jidis View Post
Jon, IDE doesn't actually have to deal with all that termination junk, but you have to keep track of the master/slave/cable select jumper settings. Shouldn't be related to the issue you're having.

Also, SCSI cards will often use a ribbon similar to IDE for internal connections. It's actually 50 pins, vs. the 40 you usually see for IDE.

If it's any consolation, I've had both of those cards here for samplers, though the Tekram may have been under 98SE. My last one would have been that Adaptec under XPsp3. From what I've seen, Windows' reaction to the alien sampler technology isn't always the same. I know I've got at least one unit here (Roland S-750) which doesn't show up in the device manager or give any notification, though the SCSI card and all its software are working fine. There may be a utility or something which can tell you exactly what's on the bus, but I haven't had to do that in ages.

Lastly, try to find out what SCSI IDs everything is set to, to make sure you don't have any conflicts. Sometimes the sampler may default to the same one the PCI card uses (7, I believe), since they're both expecting to be the host.

Hope you get it worked out.
Thanks.. I tried 98 drivers, put these in Recycle folder, installed through Adaptec (device manager) and System32 but still no luck. Changed the IDs on sampler. I did notice on the Akai that it says SCSI Drive Not Ready even after changing ID etc, is that because they are not talking? Will put in Tekram card and try that too. Then I think last resort is to try installing Windows 98 and see if that works. Might have to go back to hot sampling straight in otherwise, which isn't a bad thing but would love to get Recycle working though ;0
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search