TD-3 behringer 303 clone
Old 28th March 2020
Lives for gear

utterly.
Old 28th March 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Ai View Post
All of the people saying it was so hard back in the day must not have had the manual. It really is a RTFM situation.
Before the internet, it was really difficult to find a tb 303 manual. So yes it was difficult as the RTFM rarely was an option.
Old 28th March 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timewalk View Post
Before the internet, it was really difficult to find a tb 303 manual. So yes it was difficult as the RTFM rarely was an option.
In the late 80s when acid first started yeah... but BBSes were a thing and I'm sure at least one of them had something on programming the 303. Anyway these days we do have the internet. So nowadays it really is a RTFM situation. Having never programmed a true 303 style sequencer, it took me 5 mins of reading the manual of my TD-3 to figure it out.
Old 28th March 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
good point !
Old 28th March 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
That’s what made making electronic music so fun and adventurous back in the day, though. I used to buy my gear out of the classifieds(including my 303), and when it actually came with a manual(which was never!)....damn, what a plus! So, it was either you were lucky and happened to know someone with knowledge, or let it fly and see what happens.
Old 28th March 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
But once you understand how it works it's dead simple
As everything in life, man (except w....)
Old 28th March 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
In the late 80s when acid first started yeah... but BBSes were a thing and I'm sure at least one of them had something on programming the 303. Anyway these days we do have the internet. So nowadays it really is a RTFM situation. Having never programmed a true 303 style sequencer, it took me 5 mins of reading the manual of my TD-3 to figure it out.
I admire that you are doing everything you can to make your point legit, you are just constructing scenarios trying to make a valid point out of RTFM.

Dude no one was online back then, and the only good resource for music gear information was magazines and the library.
Old 28th March 2020
Lives for gear

I must be in the minority. I wish the 303 sequencer was on every synth.
Old 29th March 2020
Lives for gear

I finally checked if my silver TD-3 had the slide problem or not and it doesn't! So it saves me the trouble of having to update the firmware.
Old 29th March 2020
Lives for gear

any suggested Time input 'patterns' ?

say, if you're of the bash-bash-bash inclination, you might just go:

note, note, note, tie,
note, note, note, tie,
note, note, note, tie,
note, note, note, tie,

or

note, tie, note, note, etc. and repeat that,

or maybe have other tried'n'tested quick entry routines? i'm sure some will emerge over time with more practice. as poserp says (though in a different context), it's a genius tutor machine, could really teach you to think about the 'grid' in a different non-visual way.
Old 29th March 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatever17 View Post
any suggested Time input 'patterns' ?

say, if you're of the bash-bash-bash inclination, you might just go:

note, note, note, tie,
note, note, note, tie,
note, note, note, tie,
note, note, note, tie,

or

note, tie, note, note, etc. and repeat that,

or maybe have other tried'n'tested quick entry routines? i'm sure some will emerge over time with more practice. as poserp says (though in a different context), it's a genius tutor machine, could really teach you to think about the 'grid' in a different non-visual way.
My process is usually to go into Pitch Mode and put in some notes in key. I then do accents and slides randomly. Then I do Time Mode even more randomly. Then I copy to 1 or 3 more patterns and do the Time Mode on those patterns randomly. Then listen to the patterns, randomly redo Time Mode on any that sound **** and then I make a track out of the patterns.

I think the beauty of the 303 sequencer is in happy accidents. For my style, I find I tend to do more ties than notes when I randomly do Time Mode.
Old 29th March 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by base615 View Post
happy accidents
yeh me too of course. i was just thinking about it, bashing in the Time data.
'directed' happy accidents should be good with a drum machine triggering the sequencer clock, if it works like the sh101 does. have rimshot patterns dictating the timing a second time, move the triggers in real time.. waah you can then have a drum machine pattern chain recycling a single pattern into timing variations ;-)

... then sending cv+gate out to some other synth ?
Old 29th March 2020
Lives for gear

a standard one would be

note note tie (rest/tie?)

dudda dah dudda dah dudda dah dudda dah
Old 29th March 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
I finally checked if my silver TD-3 had the slide problem or not and it doesn't! So it saves me the trouble of having to update the firmware.
you can check it with the synthtool. latest is v1.26.
mine arrived with 1.23 and wasn't saving up/down. sorted now.
Old 29th March 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatever17 View Post
yeh me too of course. i was just thinking about it, bashing in the Time data.
'directed' happy accidents should be good with a drum machine triggering the sequencer clock, if it works like the sh101 does. have rimshot patterns dictating the timing a second time, move the triggers in real time.. waah you can then have a drum machine pattern chain recycling a single pattern into timing variations ;-)

... then sending cv+gate out to some other synth ?
Yeah, I also send triggers from Varigate 8+ so have a standard pattern triggering 100% of the time and odd steps which trigger at lower probability.
Old 30th March 2020
Here for the gear

TD-3 on Rechargeable Battery

Hi all, I implemented a battery hack (prototype!). https://ekartco.com/2020/03/behringe...mod-prototype/

TD-3 now charges like an iPhone:
  • you can play with it without cables
  • runs for at least a day
  • you plug it in (USB), it charges, still keeps running
  • you unplug it, it still keeps running
  • it charges on a 5W charger and on an iMac (tested so far)

Its got some minor caveats (see post), but keep in mind its just my own prototype. Somebody with deep electronics knowledge should check the whole thing.

Parts cost less than 10$
Old 30th March 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by gekart View Post
Hi all, I implemented a battery hack (prototype!). https://ekartco.com/2020/03/behringe...mod-prototype/

Its got some minor caveats (see post), but keep in mind its just my own prototype. Somebody with deep electronics knowledge should check the whole thing.

Parts cost less than 10$
awesome! will post this in our td diy thread if okay
Old 30th March 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maffez View Post
awesome! will post this in our td diy thread if okay
Sure!
Old 30th March 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:

Parts cost less than 10$
Great work, I could definitely use this with my Mpc live.
Old 30th March 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Ben View Post
Great work, I could definitely use this with my Mpc live.
Acid on the go go
Old 30th March 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Ben View Post
Acid on the go go
Yeah! For the next prototype I might try bluetooth audio.
Old 30th March 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:

Parts cost less than 10$
This is Ben Hur levels of epic. It does annoy me Behringer didn’t implement this though. If it can be done at home in a shed for $10 then Behringer could do it for $2. And who wouldn’t pay a few bucks for this?!
Old 30th March 2020
Lives for gear

funny, it's battery day today. was just looking for a fix for my cordless it worked (#doing jobs in lockdown)
Old 30th March 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mushy Mushy View Post
This is Ben Hur levels of epic. It does annoy me Behringer didn’t implement this though. If it can be done at home in a shed for $10 then Behringer could do it for $2. And who wouldn’t pay a few bucks for this?!
Don’t worry mate. Now they’ve let someone else do the design they will be producing it!
Old 30th March 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atticus Plink View Post
Don’t worry mate. Now they’ve let someone else do the design they will be producing it!
Old 31st March 2020
Lives for gear

So - I'm sure it's been covered.. but I'm not going through 200 pages.

I just finally picked up a TD3.. and early reviews said it can be USB bus powered - it looks like that's not the case??
Old 31st March 2020
Gear Guru

need an answer but too lazy to look huh?

no

diy yes
Old 31st March 2020
Old 31st March 2020
Gear Guru

yeah thanks mushy, i should have said aftermarket but diy came out

that reminds me, they promised me a proto for my OT, i must chase them up
Old 1st April 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mushy Mushy View Post
Some place that is $17.99 for TD3, scroll down and its $12.99 for the Behry bass synth effect, exactly the same lead hahaha.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search