The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
TD-3 behringer 303 clone
Old 5th February 2020
Lives for gear

I feel bad for the devilfish guy. This will be the first behringer product I'll be boycotting.
Old 5th February 2020
4AD
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm2c View Post
I feel bad for the devilfish guy. This will be the first behringer product I'll be boycotting.
...make sure to inform Musictribe about the fact. They won't notice one sale missed, while Mr. Whittle certainly would - could have been No. 307.
Old 5th February 2020
Lives for gear

Devilfish guy is an idiot, 93-2019, that is 26 years, in those 26 years he has done roughly 10 a year, that is £12000 a year not including cost of parts and labour, then he gets offered £15000 for what equates to repackaging work from users of this forum, that would allow people who cant afford his nonsense pricing or indeed waiting list.
Then spews utter crap about naming and cloning because he didn't get his way (spitting the dummy)

Some of us are not huge fans of Behringer, but mugs like him are pushing us further to the Behringer side by acting like spoilt little pricks.

Last edited by Bungle; 5th February 2020 at 12:55 PM..
Old 5th February 2020
Lives for gear

I’ve always thought the DF mod was obviously overpriced. I’m glad there are other options now.
Old 5th February 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4AD View Post
...make sure to inform Musictribe about the fact. They won't notice one sale missed, while Mr. Whittle certainly would - could have been No. 307.
306 DF'd TB's out of what 10'000 units is rather insignificant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bach666 View Post
I’m glad there are other options now.
There is the beast 303 mod, although i'm not sure if Julian is doing that anymore, i haven't been in contact
with him for quite a while.
Old 5th February 2020
easy folks i can see why a couple of us are frustrated that this collab didn't work out, but hey - there's always modding guides and your local tech who can perform them for you, right?

the amont charged for the official devilfish pack would be too much for me personally, too, but if i remember right, there's australia's import taxes etc. included, i.e. costs you cannot determine yourself, and if you have a look at other (european based) techs specializing on that ole stuff, they are not cheap either; whittle dipped in in our diy thread (and quite a couple of the mods compiled there are from his mind eventually) and suggested some tact swithces, which i thought expensive first but turned out to be the bomb - he linked our thread on his page (which made me feel like the teacher's pet of the day in a nice way), which can be read as much as a potential undermining of his own business as it can be considered wanting to be part of the hype. did a njm2069 post on muff's fb group a while back and the ams synths guy posted some technical help/info with a link to their own module - maybe that's the same dual message: "there's this, cool; and theirs ours" (fair enough; in German we say "Klappern gehört zum Handwerk" - puff is part of the trade(?))

dunno about the snowflake part, but what i respect is that in his first technical analysis whittle pointed to a couple of technical strong points of the td rather than sh..t talking aspects that might be improved - some of us have been much harsher with the thing

i wish both parties best of success and just hope there's a looot of leeway in between for diy nerds
Old 5th February 2020
Gear Nut

Get Parts and Do your own mods guide is up!
Old 5th February 2020
Lives for gear

I'll wait for the Behringer officially modded and if that doesn't happen, ship one to circuitbenders, that guys prices are fair.
Old 5th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maffez View Post
easy folks i can see why a couple of us are frustrated that this collab didn't work out, but hey - there's always modding guides and your local tech who can perform them for you, right?

the amont charged for the official devilfish pack would be too much for me personally, too, but if i remember right, there's australia's import taxes etc. included, i.e. costs you cannot determine yourself, and if you have a look at other (european based) techs specializing on that ole stuff, they are not cheap either; whittle dipped in in our diy thread (and quite a couple of the mods compiled there are from his mind eventually) and suggested some tact swithces, which i thought expensive first but turned out to be the bomb - he linked our thread on his page (which made me feel like the teacher's pet of the day in a nice way), which can be read as much as a potential undermining of his own business as it can be considered wanting to be part of the hype. did a njm2069 post on muff's fb group a while back and the ams synths guy posted some technical help/info with a link to their own module - maybe that's the same dual message: "there's this, cool; and theirs ours" (fair enough; in German we say "Klappern gehört zum Handwerk" - puff is part of the trade(?))

dunno about the snowflake part, but what i respect is that in his first technical analysis whittle pointed to a couple of technical strong points of the td rather than sh..t talking aspects that might be improved - some of us have been much harsher with the thing

i wish both parties best of success and just hope there's a looot of leeway in between for diy nerds

as long as it is to his advantage, everything is fine. woe if not. ultimately insignificant.
let's see if the mod 303 is built and maybe even improved.
Old 5th February 2020
4AD
Gear Maniac

On todays positive note: Love the SynthTool! Albeit i was not able to import ABL3 .pat files ("Invalid file"), the included sequencer interface is good for quickly fixing randomly generated patterns. Let it bark...

EDIT: 4x attached, rename to .seq
Attached Files
File Type: txt PG_1-PS_A-P_3.txt (146 Bytes, 23 views) File Type: txt PG_1-PS_A-P_4.txt (146 Bytes, 14 views) File Type: txt PG_1-PS_A-P_6.txt (146 Bytes, 9 views) File Type: txt PG_1-PS_A-P_8.txt (146 Bytes, 12 views)

Last edited by 4AD; 5th February 2020 at 04:50 PM.. Reason: added some patterns..
Old 5th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm2c View Post
huh? You could buy the Behringer 303 clone, and have it modded by Mr. Devilfish for $1236 AUS (which is about 835 US dollars, or 758 euros.) A win-win, wouldn't you think?

TBH, I feel this is two business-men negotiating, where one is now taking the public forum to push his agenda. Let's see how Uli responds
Old 5th February 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4AD View Post
On today's positive note: Love the SynthTool! Albeit i was not able to import ABL3 .pat files ("Invalid file"), the sequencer is good for quickly fixing randomly generated patterns. Let it bark...
I can load ABL3 files fine on Mac
Old 5th February 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by olafmol View Post

where one is now taking the public forum to push his agenda.
behringer's post of that user-submitted mockup was first; tricky situation for the other party

might have been different if it had been another mockup with other fancy mods, and that's maybe where B could really shine in the future - engage users in feature/design aspects every now and then for a product, say in form of a competittion/forum vote thing - might well spark creativity and good vibes
Old 5th February 2020
4AD
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdesign75 View Post
I can load ABL3 files fine on Mac
Hmmm... these came from a Mac, i'm on Windows (mostly)...
Old 5th February 2020
Lives for gear

Mr Devil Fish is slow and expensive and a whiner.

Work faster, charge less, and win.

Instead he'd rather complain online.

~300 units in 26 years is absolutely F-ing absurd.
Old 5th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
Man I miss Rebirth, I so hoped it would make it in the Reason rack one day as a rack extension ..screw you Roland.!! I spent so many countless hrs playing that software, it really was ahead of its time.
This is the sole reason I keep my iPad2 in play. Rebirth baby!!! Can't wait to re-create it in hardware.
Old 5th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maffez View Post
behringer's post of that user-submitted mockup was first; tricky situation for the other party

might have been different if it had been another mockup with other fancy mods, and that's maybe where B could really shine in the future - engage users in feature/design aspects every now and then for a product, say in form of a competittion/forum vote thing - might well spark creativity and good vibes
Agreed. Shots across the bow were being fired. Hopefully we will end up with a good solution for all parties involved.
Old 5th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bignatius View Post
Mr Devil Fish is slow and expensive and a whiner.

Work faster, charge less, and win.

Instead he'd rather complain online.

~300 units in 26 years is absolutely F-ing absurd.
Not if you want to create scarcity and exclusivity. A hardware sequencer comes to mind too
Old 5th February 2020
Gear Guru

Aaaaaaaand there we have it, enough said and i may have to read it again for laughs, .

thank you for publishing the replies Uli . Now, onto the important stuff - when is my extremely dark and foreboding super modded bloody murderer Behringer 303 being built, i am bang up for it as are many
Old 5th February 2020
Lives for gear

Tens of thousands, eh.
Old 5th February 2020
Lives for gear

"For years, this Devilfish mod of the 303 has been very popular in the DIY scene (google: XOXBOX Devilfish) and is around US$ 3 in component cost"
what a ripoff..but fits well with the partially misguided 303 scene .. freely according to the motto "we make wine out of water" ( Château Robinet )
Old 5th February 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcgood View Post
This is the sole reason I keep my iPad2 in play. Rebirth baby!!! Can't wait to re-create it in hardware.
If you have Rebirth bought already, you can still download it on a new ipad, with the same acount. It runs on my ipad pro 11 with os 13.
Old 5th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by olafmol View Post
Not if you want to create scarcity and exclusivity.
See: Supreme

MFers buy and build bots just to make online purchases faster so they can flip limited Tees/etc for extreme markups.

The practice is old and proven and widely used. Sneakers, Tees, Jeans, Music Gear, 'tis all the same in that way.
Old 5th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by UWAIN View Post
If you have Rebirth bought already, you can still download it on a new ipad, with the same acount. It runs on my ipad pro 11 with os 13.
REALLY??? Its not in the app store to my knowledge, so how would I load it?
Old 5th February 2020
Gear Head
Quote:
REALLY??? Its not in the app store to my knowledge, so how would I load it?
also this option

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dxjiw7KJyMQ
Old 5th February 2020
Here for the gear

omron

is that an anagram?
Old 5th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevobo View Post
Yes! Good stuff here. Thanks.
Old 5th February 2020
4AD
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bach666 View Post
I’ve always thought the DF mod was obviously overpriced. I’m glad there are other options now.
Right. For this price (~800EUR?), you get a Hydrasynth or even an almost-new Peak! Or a nice analog synth...
Old 5th February 2020
Quote:
The Devilfish guy already breached the trust, so there's no foul on Uli's part.
Yup, and these actions speak for themselves, as does UB's response here.

Maybe the midi association needs to establish some public space for things like these so we can focus on synths and the occasional bit of insanity (I don't mean you, marcgood, but some recent and less "divine" posts!) here

Last edited by Maffez; 5th February 2020 at 06:07 PM.. Reason: cynicism removed
Old 5th February 2020
Here for the gear

The devilfish page on the Internet Archive from 17/08/2000
https://web.archive.org/web/20000817....au/rwi/dfish/

talks about making a standalone devilfish 20 years ago......

Last edited by dasnut; 5th February 2020 at 06:12 PM.. Reason: got dates wrong uh

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search