The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Yahoo shutting down Yahoo groups(including synths)
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty Motif Max View Post
I have to get that figured out, but yes, that's the plan. Right now my focus is on archiving as many relevant keyboard/synth groups as possible before everything is cut off.
Great. I’ve archived a few of them too. We could put them all on a common place. I’m uploading everything to a Google Drive folder.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

some i can think of:

yamaha black boxes
emuesisamplers
kawaisynths
electribe
kawai-K
QY70

does it take long to back up a group?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatever17 View Post
some i can think of:

yamaha black boxes
emuesisamplers
kawaisynths
electribe
kawai-K
QY70

does it take long to back up a group?
It’s fast. Depending on the amount of emails, it lasts from 1 minute to 1 hour or so.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Thanks to everyone for sharing their information on backing up information from these group sites.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Is this "Rhodes"? https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/rhodes/info

Rhodes-Tech doesn't seem to exist. At least I can't find it. Do you have a link?
Yep that the one.

Rhodes-Tech is this one: https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/rhodes-tech/info

Hope that helps! And where do we find the archives after youve archived them?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldphinga View Post
Yep that the one.

Rhodes-Tech is this one: https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/rhodes-tech/info

Hope that helps! And where do we find the archives after youve archived them?

I will let you know when I have them somewhere. Rhodes-Tech I'm not even able to apply to join. If you're a member, there's the possibility of PM'ing me with access information if you want.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastropiero View Post
It’s fast. Depending on the amount of emails, it lasts from 1 minute to 1 hour or so.
WOW. What are you using for internet? I see you're using a script so that might be part of it. PG Offline probably takes 45-minutes up to a few hours for groups with around 1000-10,000 messages. But the largest group I did was 43,000 messages and that took about 17 hours.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Great. I’ve archived a few of them too. We could put them all on a common place. I’m uploading everything to a Google Drive folder.
I'm thinking maybe of something a little easier to read for most people. Like an actual read-only forum-type site.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

More done. I went through and joined around 300 groups last night since my understanding is that some time today all groups will be made private and I would need an invitation to join. I already had around 200. Assuming the content remains until December 14th like Yahoo claims, I should be able to have all or most of that group archived.

Ensoniqsampler
KurzList
AN1x-list
MPC60
EVERYTHING_CONN
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
WOW. What are you using for internet? I see you're using a script so that might be part of it. PG Offline probably takes 45-minutes up to a few hours for groups with around 1000-10,000 messages. But the largest group I did was 43,000 messages and that took about 17 hours.
The biggest group I've archived until now had about 25,000 messages. I didn't measure how long it took to download every item, really, but I don't think it lasted more than 2 hours. My internet access isn't very fast (50mbps symmetrical FTTH).

Maybe now it's performing slower because everyone is downloading everything at once???
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I don't see the usefulness of archving them whe it is so east to migrate the yahoos to groups.io but I am not a synth user so have at it! :-)
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosium View Post
What else is of worth in their portfolio since they screwed up Tumblr and Community?
Yahoo has proven to be one of the most inept companies that I'm certain they will be referenced in business schools in the future in how not to run a company.

What they bought tumblr for, and what they sold it for after they decimated it has got to be one of the most humiliating things ever.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by loujudson View Post
I don't see the usefulness of archving them whe it is so east to migrate the yahoos to groups.io but I am not a synth user so have at it! :-)
Why to migrate a dead community? Many of these groups were already abandoned and had no activity. We're archiving the knowledge and files contained in them. Furthermore, even if some of those groups are still quite active (for example, BC2000 is), groups.io could close as well tomorrow.

Archiving is a good strategy if you don't want to lose the control over your valuable stuff.

I usually have 4 copies of everything that means something to me: 2 copies on hard disks (that I mirror once per week) and other 2 online copies on different cloud providers.

I never have the 2 HDs together on the same place (except for syncing them) and if I travel somewhere I carry one of them with me.

(Do I sound a bit paranoid?)
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Why to migrate a dead community? Many of these groups were already abandoned and had no activity. We're archiving the knowledge and files contained in them. Furthermore, even if some of those groups are still quite active (for example, BC2000 is), groups.io could close as well tomorrow.

Archiving is a good strategy if you don't want to lose the control over your valuable stuff.

I usually have 4 copies of everything that means something to me: 2 copies on hard disks (that I mirror once per week) and other 2 online copies on different cloud providers.

I never have the 2 HDs together on the same place (except for syncing them) and if I travel somewhere I carry one of them with me.

(Do I sound a bit paranoid?)
No, you're not paranoid. That's exactly what my computer repair tech advised I do, using RAID etc. I have just a total of three external drives - one backup of the computer, an external for recording and other stuff, and a backup of the external.

More are finished:

MIDI_SYNTHS_SYSEX_PATCH_EXCHANGE
rolandjunod
Kurzweil250
Roland-Controllers
JD-800_Tech
kiwitechnics
DSS-1

Unfortunately Yahoo's servers are delaying messages by a day or so and so I am not able to inform the members of these groups that they've been archived in a timely fashion, and others where I've offered to archive aren't even getting my messages until a day or so later.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Kudos to you folks for stepping up to the plate. I remember my sadness when the Univ. of the Ruhr archives disappeared.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

Next day's worth is finished:

rhodes
Roland_FR18_Diatonic
RolandSamplers
K1000-K1200
MidiSPD
YamahaA5000
KORGM50USERSGROUP
SonicCell
nordstage
KnobTweak
Allen-Organ-Owners
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

I was out for the weekend but have been archiving as my internet will allow (my connection is, er, not the greatest at an average of 1.56 mb/s download). Anyways, here are 23 more that are done:

DR-5
RolandVSDocsII
TRITON_EXTREME
MojoMusicians
korg-wavestation
KorgM1M1Rex
korgms2000
vk_corral
roland_fp
oasys-pci
Korg_Wavestation_moderated
RolandVSDocs
K3Resurrection
yamaha-psr-styles
PODxtLivePODxt
finale
JohannusOrgansSchool
connartistes
KorgProphecy
prophet_vs
macbethsynths
Midi-Reedless-Accordion
k5synth
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

[QUOTE=Mighty Motif Max;14310276]I was out for the weekend but have been archiving as my internet will allow (my connection is, er, not the greatest at an average of 1.56 mb/s download). Anyways, here are 23 more that are done:

OmiG. where do you live? With Comcast cable I get 200mbs down, only 6 up. I have a backup DSL which gets maybe 6mbps down which I only use in crises like when the power was out last week - Comcast took six days to come bak online. Since I upload audio afor my work, it is excricuatingly slow uploading at 6mbps...

Too bad none of your groups interest me, I'm just an audio engineer. :-)
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I was out for the weekend but have been archiving as my internet will allow (my connection is, er, not the greatest at an average of 1.56 mb/s download). Anyways, here are 23 more that are done:

DR-5
RolandVSDocsII
TRITON_EXTREME
MojoMusicians
korg-wavestation
KorgM1M1Rex
korgms2000
vk_corral
roland_fp
oasys-pci
Korg_Wavestation_moderated
RolandVSDocs
K3Resurrection
yamaha-psr-styles
PODxtLivePODxt
finale
JohannusOrgansSchool
connartistes
KorgProphecy
prophet_vs
macbethsynths
Midi-Reedless-Accordion
k5synth
Did you manage to grab the Emulator II group?

I can give you access if you need it.

Cheers
Old 1 day ago
Gear Nut

Mighty Motif Max - are you planning on sharing these archives somehow? And does your archive tool include all the files they had too (I'm assuming yes)?
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel99 View Post

Cheers
Please add me: msxjam (AT) gmail (DOT) com

thank you
Old 21 hours ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach1na View Post
Mighty Motif Max - are you planning on sharing these archives somehow? And does your archive tool include all the files they had too (I'm assuming yes)?
Yes to both, unless the list owners are moving the group somewhere to continue it, in which case you would have to go there.

I have all files, photos, attachments, links, and messages for every group I've listed.
Old 21 hours ago
Gear Head

[QUOTE=loujudson;14310947]
Quote:

OmiG. where do you live? With Comcast cable I get 200mbs down, only 6 up. I have a backup DSL which gets maybe 6mbps down which I only use in crises like when the power was out last week - Comcast took six days to come bak online. Since I upload audio afor my work, it is excricuatingly slow uploading at 6mbps...

Too bad none of your groups interest me, I'm just an audio engineer. :-)
Northern Minnesota. Satellite internet only. No cable outside of town, no fiber optic, and the dsl is absolutely worthless, to the point where the company has been under investigation by the state for non-uniform service and fraud. Both are $100/month.
Old 21 hours ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel99 View Post

Cheers
No...I was never approved and Yahoo kicked me off after two weeks in the que. Replied to your PM.
Old 21 hours ago
Gear Head

More finished:

EZguitars
yamahapsrgroup
Kawai-Teisco
Alesis_QS_synthesizers
Casio_FZ_Samplers
CasioCZ1
Casio_FZ_Samplers_2
Kawai-K
xgworksusers
xgworks-exchange
akaiS1000S1100Samplers
electonetalk
korgpolyex - this one may be moving to groups.io
s612
VDrums
Old 11 hours ago
Here for the gear

I’m in desperate need of the EII forum. I am trying to get my EII repaired. The tech knows electronic engineering, but he need the EII group. Can I have him email anyone? Any old EII group members here? The 8th voice is out on my synth. Also the drives aren’t functioning. One was replaced to a usb, but it says can’t recognize usb. Power supply was rebuilt.
Old 4 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by newse neus View Post
I’m in desperate need of the EII forum. I am trying to get my EII repaired. The tech knows electronic engineering, but he need the EII group. Can I have him email anyone? Any old EII group members here? The 8th voice is out on my synth. Also the drives aren’t functioning. One was replaced to a usb, but it says can’t recognize usb. Power supply was rebuilt.
He’s working on it.

Have your tech try and join the group and I’ll approve it.

The missing voice could quite likely be a failed opamp, it’s one of the last last chips before the individual voice output. Everything is socketed so swap it with the IC in a working voice and see if it improves the situation.

Better to get a tech to go over it as there’s dangerous voltages exposed in the PSU.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search