The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Jupiter 6 w/ Europa Mod vs. Super Jupiter MKS80 w/ MPG80 Programmer
Old 27th November 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stellaris View Post
I personally think the JP-6 LP is very close to the SSM2044 from what I can say.

Old 28th November 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
It great to see all the J6 love here. For years it you’d read about how much it was hated on GS. I’ve been lucky to own one for the last 11 years and got the Europa shortly after(...easy install but I also built an extensive MOTM system).

Always found that it really fit in mixes extremely well...never needed to EQ tracks that much with it. With the Europa it added so many features that brought it to more modest standards...and I was always super happy with the ADSR and high pass filter on it...all the filters but that’s one especially.

Highly recommend running it though a UA-610 then A DBX 165 as a signal chain.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
My new synth rig has The RiverKey > Stereoping Programmers controlling ((( stereo ))) pairs of Oberheim Matrix rack synths and an MKS-80 rev4. This is my favorite Roland analog poly, although I'd never kick a minty J8 or J6 w/Europa out of the house.

But, if I was to get another Roland analog poly, it would definitely be an MKS-80 rev5 to pair with the rev4 in a permanent mega-polysynth ((( stereo ))) array. A characterful bi-timbral 8+8 to put sonic smiles on my ears, ala the epic Hydrasynths.
Attached Thumbnails
Jupiter 6 w/ Europa Mod vs. Super Jupiter MKS80 w/ MPG80 Programmer-synth-desk-racks.jpg  
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anal Avenger View Post
...while the MKS IMHO sounded
more or less like a modern plug in.

Nice 11th troll post Anal Avenger. Sure you're in the right forum?

No accounting for taste or user error and w'all know what opinions are like, especially when spewed from comical exaggeration.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by string6theory View Post
My new synth rig has The RiverKey > Stereoping Programmers controlling ((( stereo ))) pairs of Oberheim Matrix rack synths and an MKS-80 rev4. This is my favorite Roland analog poly, although I'd never kick a minty J8 or J6 w/Europa out of the house.

But, if I was to get another Roland analog poly, it would definitely be an MKS-80 rev5 to pair with the rev4 in a permanent mega-polysynth ((( stereo ))) array. A characterful bi-timbral 8+8 to put sonic smiles on my ears, ala the epic Hydrasynths.
I would suggest you get a second MKS-80. I have both the rev 4 and rev 5 and they are among my favorite analog synths. They are particularly unique in that they were optimized for "keyboard" sounds, given it exceptional wide velocity response and general density of sound. It was originally marketed with a huge 88-note controller (MKB-1000). This opinion comes from someone with Jupiter 8, Prophet 5, and all Oberheim OB series. None of those are better then the MKS-80 for what it does best. In fact all of them are inferior.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangoon View Post
I would suggest you get a second MKS-80. I have both the rev 4 and rev 5 and they are among my favorite analog synths. They are particularly unique in that they were optimized for "keyboard" sounds, given it exceptional wide velocity response and general density of sound. It was originally marketed with a huge 88-note controller (MKB-1000). This opinion comes from someone with Jupiter 8, Prophet 5, and all Oberheim OB series. None of those are better then the MKS-80 for what it does best. In fact all of them are inferior.
I think a rev 4+5 would be a killer poly combo!

The other pairing I was seriously considering, but which would require another programmer is the MKS-70. It has its own special melancholy character I think would make for a nice addition to my R-rig. But, I lack the space for another big controller at the desk and I'm more inclined to maximize the MKS-80 by leveraging the one I have and adding a 2nd, but slightly different rev-5, to transform it into a MKS 80+80 mega ((( stereo ))) poly.

At the same time, 8 MKS-80 voices are pretty damn BIG & BOLD as they are. And, 4+4 stereo panned sounds great... it's just that 8 would cover more playing territory. I'm also looking at a polychained Minilogue XD Module rig after I get the PolBrute set up. Although I'm sure I'll also experiment with it as a bi-timbral 4+4. But, again, 4-voice poly chord and melody playing can be somewhat limiting.

Anyway, I'll likely leave the MKS setup as is for quite a while and get the rest of my studio dialed in. Including the Stereoping programmer, it's already quite a pricey synth and has a very full sound to match. Same for the PolyBrute and its 6 voices. I don't think I would even seriously consider adding a PB module if they came out with one because it's already very fully-voiced, ala the MKS-80, MemoryMoog, J8, etc.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut
MKS-80 can´t be compared with the powerful JP-8.

I owned both and can´t be compared, is like a MemoryMoog powerful sound vs. one of the minor ones.

My opinion after have had both on the 90´s as well.
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akailama View Post
MKS-80 can´t be compared with the powerful JP-8.
Cool. But the topic of this thread is: Jupiter 6 vs. MKS-80.
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Solaris View Post
There was some time some people said the MKS-80 was the rack version of the Jupiter 6, other people said 8.

It never was any.

I had all of them and the MKS-80 is not on the Jupiter league. I never liked it.

Btw I plan to buy an MKS-30, my Juno 106 was stolen...
Gear Nut

Quote:
So, now it is JX-3P vs. MKS-30!
Gear Maniac

Quote:
There was some time some people said the MKS-80 was the rack version of the Jupiter 6, other people said 8.

It never was any.

I had all of them and the MKS-80 is not on the Jupiter league. I never liked it.

So why did you prefer JP-6 to MKS-80 ?
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Solaris View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by _space View Post
So why did you prefer JP-6 to MKS-80 ?
Fatter sound, better filter sweep.

MKS-80 sounded too thin for me, even my digital Nord rack 2 sounded fatter.

I was very disappointed about.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Fatter sound, better filter sweep.

MKS-80 sounded too thin for me, even my digital Nord rack 2 sounded fatter.

I was very disappointed about.
This is a really silly comment. You probably had a rev 5 and even then it's silly. I also don't trust anyone's recollection of synth differences from the '90s.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Even a quick YT demo listen of the MKS-80 in action can put to rest any arsinine notion that it sounds thin. It's more appropriately characterized as thick and solid, bold and fat. And, that's exactly what one would expect from so many luscious VCO's all doing their thing. Then there's the bass extension.

So, let's get real, and while we're at it, let's also realize, a low-count, over-opinionated post is a THINLY veiled troll.

Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Ruff View Post
This is a really silly comment. You probably had a rev 5 and even then it's silly. I also don't trust anyone's recollection of synth differences from the '90s.
People who insult other calling names or do not respect other opinions let a lot to be desired.

Best of luck also to the other who calls me troll.

I will use for the first time the ignore user option.
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
[QUOTE=Akailama;152171...
Best of luck also to the other who calls me troll.

I will use for the first time the ignore user option.[/QUOTE]

ignore reciprocated, buh-bye!
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

MKS-80 and Xpander were the staples of analog of every studio in the 90s. Nuff said!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The power of the Jupiter 6 is its interface. Split keyboard, the arpeggiator, the way it’s put together is a real joy to play. That’s something rack will never be able to replace.
Old 2 days ago | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Ruff View Post
I have a Rev.5 and I love it. Sold a rev.4 to get it too.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
He didn't call you a troll. He just described your comment. And I agree with him, as a very happy rev.5 owner.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I'm curious now.. can the Stereoping be controlled via CC from a DAW to affect the parameters on the MKS-80 in real time?

Shoulda looked at the video instead of just listening at first cause it looks like that can be done.. my bad.

Last edited by Synthmaven; 2 days ago at 05:54 PM.. Reason: posted too soon
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by string6theory View Post
Even a quick YT demo listen of the MKS-80 in action can put to rest any arsinine notion that it sounds thin. It's more appropriately characterized as thick and solid, bold and fat. And, that's exactly what one would expect from so many luscious VCO's all doing their thing. Then there's the bass extension.

Hey this sounds FANTASTIC. One thing I really like is how aggressive the mks-80 can sound in these clips. The JP-8 does not go there.

Anyone know if the JP-6 can get this same kind of wild aggression while still maintains that lovely Roland poly sound that’s missing on the JP-8 ? Or is the mks80 better at that ?
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthmaven View Post
I'm curious now.. can the Stereoping be controlled via CC from a DAW to affect the parameters on the MKS-80 in real time?

Shoulda looked at the video instead of just listening at first cause it looks like that can be done.. my bad.
Yep it can
https://www.stereoping.com/files/Syn...al_V1_5_EN.pdf

Jupiter 6 w/ Europa Mod vs. Super Jupiter MKS80 w/ MPG80 Programmer-screenshot_20210125-174433.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Jupiter 6 w/ Europa Mod vs. Super Jupiter MKS80 w/ MPG80 Programmer-screenshot_20210125-174433.jpg  
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Anyone know if the JP-6 can get this same kind of wild aggression while still maintains that lovely Roland poly sound that’s missing on the JP-8 ? Or is the mks80 better at that ?
In terms of sound palette, the MKS-80 rev. 4 can be as aggressive as the Jup-6, save for the lack of HP/BP filters. There's a separate argument about differences in tone (if they even exist), but the biggest aspect I would be thinking about is Vel/AT on the mks-80 vs. BP/HP filters on the Jup-6. There's a super immediacy to having MPG80 in the rack right next to my desk vs having to get up and hunch over a Jup. I feel like I use it for more spur of the moment sounds rather than spending tons of time programming the 6 in isolation.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
The MKS-80 is still the best affordable poly analog IMO. Circa 2014-2017 I saw them on ebay under $2k constantly, both Rev 5 and Rev 4. The biggest myth about the MKS-80 is that you need to poney up for the MPG-80 to program it. A used Novation Remote Mk1 ($100) knocks out MKS-80 patches easy as pie. My Rev 5 with the controller cost me a total of $1600.

Granted, covid pricing may have temporarily ended that deal; we'll see what happens in the future.

The MKS-80 not only sounds like a beast, but the programmability and features are surprisingly high for its age. You have sync and crossmod modulatable by EG and LFO, and bi-timbrality allows you to make pretty dense layered sounds. Technically there are 2 LFOs; one is only a dedicated "vibrato LFO" but you can effectively use it to manage your sync and crossmod effects at a different rate from your filter modulation.

All of this is why I can't get excited for modern analogs that are still coming to the table monotimbral with 2 EGs and 1 LFO. Most likely it's not going to sound better than the MKS-80, and it's not offering any additional modern capabilities, so why would I bother? Even when I get GAS to spend more money on analog gear, I'd rather invest that money to expand my MKS-80 setup (pair it with a Rev4, splurge on the stereoping controller) than waste time with a modern analog that isn't leveraging modern features and modulation in its favor.
Old 13 hours ago | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Hey this sounds FANTASTIC. One thing I really like is how aggressive the mks-80 can sound in these clips. The JP-8 does not go there.

I bought a JP-8 cheap when they were still cheap, with rudimentary MIDI installed in a somewhat hack-hazardly fashion. To me it didn't sound ballsy enough for something that huge. Kinda like a cadillac with a Fiat engine so I sold it for a little more than I paid and picked up a rev4 with the MPG-80 in Tampa for $1500. Much smaller size, real MIDI and BALLS BALLS BALLS.

Just my personal view, I am not trying to demean JP-8 lovers. It's simply not my cup of tea. I am sure if I had a huge mansion or a loft with oodles of space and money no object I'd pick up a JP-8 just to see if I still feel the same way, because one can wonder if one might have eventually gotten more into some of the gear if held onto instead of selling it. But space *IS a huge (LOL) problem for most of us. Ended up selling the rev. 4 o get the Rev. 5 and happy as can be. AND now I am figuring out the MKS-80 can be controlled via CC with a little effort of money..
📝 Reply