The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
New Roland Fantom 2019 Vs Jupiter 80
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Yep, finding the really best combination in all that stuff is a PITA, no argument there. I've also read threads with people surfacing creaky keys problems on some Nords/Fatar actions going back to 2011. Nothing is safe, so I content myself with my little Microfreak, which in most others' hands, it would seem by reading posts here, dies if you look at it funny.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by realtrance View Post
Yep, finding the really best combination in all that stuff is a PITA, no argument there. I've also read threads with people surfacing creaky keys problems on some Nords/Fatar actions going back to 2011. Nothing is safe, so I content myself with my little Microfreak, which in most others' hands, it would seem by reading posts here, dies if you look at it funny.
I wasn't aware of Nord reliability problems. I know that Roland has its fair share of complaints about that too, I'm hoping that the action on this Fantom sitting in front of me lasts well. I can always use it as a super expensive controller for some of the great B3 and Piano libraries out there, stuff that can nail the percussive tones on the Charlatans Weirdo etc.

For someone looking at both the Jupiter and the Fantom though the sounds are gonna be more important than the keybed (probably), as that's and the GUI are the biggest differences between the two.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I do think you'll find some joys in the Fantom eventually, just explore patiently. Didn't realize you already had one.

I think/hope the reliability problems all around aren't that huge, but that is another reason I always dread getting any new keyboard, always feels like a craps-shoot to me, especially if I'm not shipping it myself from store-pallet to its final resting place.

Good luck with all of it in any event! The details matter, until they don't.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB_masterkeyz View Post
Was looking to buy the Jupiter 80, and Roland has just released the new Roland FANTOM. How do these 2 compare? Anyone bought it already?

I am Keyboardist and buying one for gigging as an aux board for synths and realtime LFO and OSC controls.

Any insight will be appreciated.

Thanks!

https://static.gearslutz.com/board/i...sanimated1.gif
Jupiter 80 is a performance synth, doesn't have many of the workstation features (i.e., sequencer) and doesn't send and receive on 16 MIDI channels.

Fantom is one of the weirdest workstation rollouts I've ever seen. It has a fraction of the tones of the JP80 or the Integra. It does promise to be a full featured "platform" in the future, but who knows? Maybe it will be scrapped if it doesn't sell well.

4 years ago, after all, it seemed like Roland was saying the Supernatural tones were the future and where they were going to put all their investment. This new keyboard, the Fantom, has hardly any of the original Supernatural acoustic tones and no new ones.

If you want bread and butter tones that are perhaps a little better than what was in the Motif, the Jupiter 80 is the one to get. I liked the SN acoustic tones and was disappointed the Fantom didn't have a full complement of them.

Some don't like the Supernatural Synth and some do.

For gigging, the JP80 is big but the Fantom is massive and heavy.

The Jupiter 80 also has less tones than the Integra 7. There is A LOT of stuff on the Integra 7 but it's easier to program your own sounds on the Jupiter 80. For just gigging, at this moment, I'd get the JP80.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by soultrane View Post
Jupiter 80 is a performance synth, doesn't have many of the workstation features (i.e., sequencer) and doesn't send and receive on 16 MIDI channels.

Fantom is one of the weirdest workstation rollouts I've ever seen. It has a fraction of the tones of the JP80 or the Integra. It does promise to be a full featured "platform" in the future, but who knows? Maybe it will be scrapped if it doesn't sell well.

4 years ago, after all, it seemed like Roland was saying the Supernatural tones were the future and where they were going to put all their investment. This new keyboard, the Fantom, has hardly any of the original Supernatural acoustic tones and no new ones.

If you want bread and butter tones that are perhaps a little better than what was in the Motif, the Jupiter 80 is the one to get. I liked the SN acoustic tones and was disappointed the Fantom didn't have a full complement of them.

Some don't like the Supernatural Synth and some do.

For gigging, the JP80 is big but the Fantom is massive and heavy.

The Jupiter 80 also has less tones than the Integra 7. There is A LOT of stuff on the Integra 7 but it's easier to program your own sounds on the Jupiter 80. For just gigging, at this moment, I'd get the JP80.
I think the big manufacturers don't understand the workstation concept themselves right now. The Fantom feels like they're hedging their bets by not investing heavily in any one area.

Like it has the DAW control stuff in case what people want is a synth with great interaction with a DAW and onboard effects, if that proves popular then they'll expand that side.

And it also has the analog filter and VA. Like if users want more of this they'll see the potential in a complete analog emulation platform with the benefits of digital.

As well as the simplified sample set and the sequencer, which are classic workstation things, in case what people really actually want is, yes, a workstation just like in days of yore.

The trouble is that by implementing each one in the bare minimum fashion you'll never know what people actually want out of it because they'll look elsewhere. e.g. the DAW integration is a great idea that others have done well in the past, but only supporting Logic and MainStage really limits the number of people who will use it so everyone else that might like it simply won't be able to use and therefore won't really be able to give much feedback on the issue. If they'd have started out with some sort of VST/AU host of their own that had a visual GUI/link to the Fantom that would have been awesome (similar to the Komplete system) and would get a lot of interest.

Also if the analog stuff had more in there, something a little unique neither Juno nor Jupiter then people would be all over this, right now it's just, well, there but it doesn't have it's own voice in this crowded marketplace, and the lack of poly aftertouch probably isn't helping there.

Then on the workstation side, this is the most confident part but even there, like you said the reduced instrument range, it feels like some form of cost cutting.

People can't use stuff they don't have, and they aren't good at imagining what could be. Roland has to take us by the hand and show us what they mean for the Fantom, it also has to feel like they have a good idea themselves rather than being wishy washy. As an owner I hope it sells well enough to continue to be supported, but even if it did with Rolands track record there's no reason to believe that it will be.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Zen core, Supernatural, ACB, DCB, ... it's all zeros and ones.... and it's all marketing

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search