The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Sequential Pro 3
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Many people wondered if the Pro 2 would get a desktop - they wondered for years. Then two new keyboard versions of the Pro 3 showed up.

It would be cool if they could cram it all into a desktop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by starmanwarz View Post
I wonder if they are going to release a desktop version of the Pro 3? I'd really like one.
Old 1 week ago
Pip
Lives for gear

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOCR...&feature=shareLoving the demos, mine arrives tomorrow and this is the one that sold me. Sorry but how the hell do you embed YouTube videos.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

When you hit the 'Quote' button, the window pops open and to the top right there is a button that has Youtube on it.

What you do is paste in the link to the page and then select the text - hit the Youtube button and it will wrap the link with brackets and that should be it.

It has taken me ages to suss this out myself amid much frustration.

Phew proof is in the pudding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pip View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOCR...&feature=shareLoving the demos, mine arrives tomorrow and this is the one that sold me. Sorry but how the hell do you embed YouTube videos.
Old 1 week ago
Pip
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAnybody View Post
When you hit the 'Quote' button, the window pops open and to the top right there is a button that has Youtube on it.

What you do is paste in the link to the page and then select the text - hit the Youtube button and it will wrap the link with brackets and that should be it.

It has taken me ages to suss this out myself amid much frustration.

Phew proof is in the pudding

Boom I have been posting for years and couldn’t work it out, big thanks, I’m sure this will have been posted before but it’s right up my alley
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Sequential Pro 3-pro-3-se.jpg

My SE showed up yesterday, and I've been using it pretty much nonstop since it arrived. A few initial thoughts:

- It's bigger and heavier than I imagined. Feels really nice though, solid construction and the wood looks nicer than I thought it would (not normally a fan of wood end cheeks). The hinge and system for angling the back panel is well done, nice and solid as well.

- The box it came in is massive.

- The knobs ARE stiff to turn, more so than I even expected based on comments here. They feel really solid though, and are slowly breaking in a bit as I use them. Doesn't bother me at all, but definitely stiffer than any other knobs I've used on a synth.

- Calibration is super fast, something like 5-7 seconds, a lot quicker than the OB-6 which is nice. Mine definitely needed to be calibrated when I first used it too.

- The UI is probably the best I've used on a hardware synth with so many knobs. Assigning things to the mod matrix is dead easy, and I love the dedicated Show buttton for seeing stored values of parameters. It took me awhile to get used to how they organize things in the display, but it's intuitive once you grok it. Being able to modulate the effects parameters as well as the synth ones is excellent.

- The sequencer is really nice, it could almost be a product on it's own. Simple to use but with a lot of flexibiity and tracks. By contrast the arp is incredibly basic.

- It definitely has a "sound" that's not totally grabbed me the same way the OB-6 does. Hard to describe, it loves to go overboard and distort in pleasing ways as we all know, but when it's clean it's not super engaging for me. I still need to explore more too, the sound is big and full, but a lot of the subtler ways you can get character out of the synth are muted sounding. Still very early days though, so dont take me too seriously on this point, I could change my mind any second
Attached Thumbnails
Sequential Pro 3-pro-3-se.jpg  
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Here's maybe a bit weird question: how do you like paraphonic mode? Let's say I want to go to a jam session and play some simple pads (or stabs) as a guitarist plays solo, do you think I can create a patch where the digital oscillator doesn't stand out too much from the VCOs? Obviously, playing chords is not main use of this synth, but I'm trying to figure out how much territory this could cover.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Yeah I think it's totally doable on the Pro3, even doing basic chords. The WT OSC doesn't sound out of place at all compared to the two analog ones, having everything going through the same filter really gels things together and gives things a similar tone on that front.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Also, having played with the Soundtower Editor for the Pro 3 a good, the only issue I'm having is it can be tricky sometimes to get the editor to recognize the Pro3. I'll have the Pro 3 MIDI in and out (over USB) selected in the preferences but the editor will won't connected. Usually takes a little dance of power cycling the Pro 3 or unplugging the USB cable before it connects.

Once it DOES connect though, just about everything seems to work ok. The one exception I found was the "Functions" button on the sequencer edit page does nothing.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

It would be nice if you could select OSC 3 to be the bottom (or top) voice at all times when in paraphonic mode.
T'would also be nice to be able to disable (not just mute ) it for 2 voice paraphony.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

The knobs on my PRO 3 have loosened up some after a month of almost daily use.

It would be great to have a dual split mode like MatrixBrute with OSC 3 on the bottom.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcin17 View Post
Here's maybe a bit weird question: how do you like paraphonic mode? Let's say I want to go to a jam session and play some simple pads (or stabs) as a guitarist plays solo, do you think I can create a patch where the digital oscillator doesn't stand out too much from the VCOs? Obviously, playing chords is not main use of this synth, but I'm trying to figure out how much territory this could cover.
The basic waveforms are very similar--possibly even sampled from the VCOs. They start to differ once Shape Mod is applied but that can be a good thing.

It's funny, some people don't like the round-robin implementation but for many it's a favorite feature on the Korg Mono/Poly! Having a different form per keystroke can add some since variances in playing to make up for the lack of filter per oscillator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Aiken View Post
It would be nice if you could select OSC 3 to be the bottom (or top) voice at all times when in paraphonic mode.
T'would also be nice to be able to disable (not just mute ) it for 2 voice paraphony.
Somewhere back in this thread one of the Seq folk mentioned that a 2-voice mode is lined up.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I definitely fall into the camp of liking the round robin aspect, very cool with sequences too.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear
Round-robin is great for doing evolving pad / sequence. Nevertheless, 2 VCO dual split mode is great as well because you can play two different voices simultaneously with different timbre. It is like the two voices are having a dialogue.

Both are great ways.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Here's a quick review of the SoundTower Sequential PRO 3 editor version 1.0. It's a look at features, layout, and some possible desirable improvements.

Old 1 week ago
Pym
Lives for gear

The arp is basic by design because this is the first synth we’ve made where it can be active along with the sequencer. You can trigger the sequence notes with the arp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarekith View Post

My SE showed up yesterday, and I've been using it pretty much nonstop since it arrived. A few initial thoughts:

- It's bigger and heavier than I imagined. Feels really nice though, solid construction and the wood looks nicer than I thought it would (not normally a fan of wood end cheeks). The hinge and system for angling the back panel is well done, nice and solid as well.

- The box it came in is massive.

- The knobs ARE stiff to turn, more so than I even expected based on comments here. They feel really solid though, and are slowly breaking in a bit as I use them. Doesn't bother me at all, but definitely stiffer than any other knobs I've used on a synth.

- Calibration is super fast, something like 5-7 seconds, a lot quicker than the OB-6 which is nice. Mine definitely needed to be calibrated when I first used it too.

- The UI is probably the best I've used on a hardware synth with so many knobs. Assigning things to the mod matrix is dead easy, and I love the dedicated Show buttton for seeing stored values of parameters. It took me awhile to get used to how they organize things in the display, but it's intuitive once you grok it. Being able to modulate the effects parameters as well as the synth ones is excellent.

- The sequencer is really nice, it could almost be a product on it's own. Simple to use but with a lot of flexibiity and tracks. By contrast the arp is incredibly basic.

- It definitely has a "sound" that's not totally grabbed me the same way the OB-6 does. Hard to describe, it loves to go overboard and distort in pleasing ways as we all know, but when it's clean it's not super engaging for me. I still need to explore more too, the sound is big and full, but a lot of the subtler ways you can get character out of the synth are muted sounding. Still very early days though, so dont take me too seriously on this point, I could change my mind any second
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Apologies if it came across as a major criticism, the sequencer alone more than makes up for any shortcomings in the synth.
Old 1 week ago
Pym
Lives for gear

Nah, none taken, just letting you know there was a reason. Now you can sequence params with the arp essentially

Quote:
Apologies if it came across as a major criticism, the sequencer alone more than makes up for any shortcomings in the synth.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Just being able to turn off the notes aspect of the sequencer, switch it to Gated and have it still sequence parameters is pretty cool.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Pro 3 Over Poly D

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesandbox View Post
Just trying to get opinions like most....My synths right now include a Virus TI, ARP Odyssey early MKII 2810 with the 4 pole "Moog" filter and cv ins/outs, and a recently purchased Berhinger PRO-1 just to add some of the Prophet Sound. (other keys include an Arp Solina String Ensemble, Roland VK-7, and Yamaha S90-ES) I was going through all the reviews of their Poly D and about to purchase that as well when this was announced. Compared to my Virus and Odessey combo I was really digging the Pro-1 flavor and was going to round it out with the Poly D but then this came along. From what it sounds it seems I could now sell the Pro-1 and get the Sequential Pro-3 and still have the flavors of the two. As the Virus seems to have every imaginable mod routing this seems like an analog Virus to me with a great squencer. So...Pro-1 and Poly D OR Pro 3????
Yes...I know it's gearslutz...both right?
My rec would be to go with the Pro 3.

-Reasons:

-I have an Odyssey Mk II and the MiniMoog (the real one, not a Poly D), and while they sound slightly different, they are both subtractive, monophonic synths. The sound is not Night/Day different. Beyond the sound, the Odyssey has a broader feature set (S&H, Ring Mod, Re-Trig...).

-Don't underestimate the addition of the Wavetable Oscillator. To have that is massive in terms of the variety of sounds you'll be able to create.

-The Pro 3 looks like (I haven't played one yet) it has an amazing sequencer, and it will allow you to create unique sounds/patterns on the fly, of which a MiniMoog doesn't have.

-You will be able to use the Pro 3 to drive your Odyssey! Use the Sequencer and the 4 CV Outs on the Pro 3 to Control the Odyssey. For example, I believe you can send an LFO from the Pro 3 (for example, a sync'd wavetable LFO from Osc 3 on the Pro 3 to control pitch or filter through the Pedal jack on the back of the Odyssey). Also, you can run the Wavetable Osc from the Pro 3 into the External Jack on the Back of the Odyssey, and blend in a wavetable (among other things) into any sound you create on your Odyssey. Killer!

Unless you just have to have that "Moog" Sound, then for me - and I don't mean to trivialize or minimize the decision - this would be a no-brainer for because of the added benefits/differences you get with the Pro 3. (The MiniMoog, in combo with your Odyssey, is essentially more of the same, while the Pro 3 brings another dimension).

Good Luck!

Last edited by ccme; 1 week ago at 11:03 PM.. Reason: add info
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

would be interesting to see someone compare this ladder filter to the miniMoog model D.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

First thoughts on the Pro 3 SE:

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
First thoughts on the Pro 3 SE:

Jesus! the sound at 8:48 is beastly!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertflyer View Post
User tip!

Since the tracks don’t have a way to adjust the total mod amount for entire track (a nice future enhancement) it finally dawned on me to use a mod slot to assign the track to the same destination and use a negative amount. Works great!

This synth so far is so flexible that work arounds like this are seemingly endless!
I think I’m a hands-on / visual learner and reading this makes my brain feel mushy but I want to understand what you are saying.

Is it too much to ask for a video (camera audio is fine) showing the Pro 3 where you explain the limitation and the work-around? Thanks.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

One of the things I'd like to see is the ability to not only see the stored value of a knob via the Show button, but also the current value of the knob at the same time. That way you could get the knob to the correct position easier before leaving Show mode.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by littletinymonkey View Post
I think I’m a hands-on / visual learner and reading this makes my brain feel mushy but I want to understand what you are saying.

Is it too much to ask for a video (camera audio is fine) showing the Pro 3 where you explain the limitation and the work-around? Thanks.
I can’t really make a video. But basically if you record cutoff movements on track four, during playback mostly you can mute the whole track or let the track playback your cutoff movements.

Sometimes though, someone might want the same automation they recorded, but only at a partial amount like 50% or 25% of their knob movements. There is not dedicated way to do this.

However, I found that if you use a mod slot, and assign track 4 to the cutoff, you can then dial the automation down using a negative amount value. You can dial it all the way to having no cutoff from track 4 completely or anything in between 0 and full.

That’s my best attempt at trying to explain it.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head
saturday jam-Pro 3

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I think your “track mod multiplier” idea is a good one. I’ve never thought of it using the Pro 2 sequencer.

Depending on how many params you’re sequencing, setting up an equivalent in the mod matrix could be a real pain. But if a “track mod multiplier” was available, it could handle all that in the background. Then you could map it to the strip or mod wheel and it would be a sequenced morph control.

You should write Sequential and suggest it. One issue might be that in order to to implement it, the code might have to effectively use all the existing mod slots? It just can’t make up mod slots that don’t exist. And it would need 16 src by X destinations.

Quote:
I can’t really make a video. But basically if you record cutoff movements on track four, during playback mostly you can mute the whole track or let the track playback your cutoff movements.

Sometimes though, someone might want the same automation they recorded, but only at a partial amount like 50% or 25% of their knob movements. There is not dedicated way to do this.

However, I found that if you use a mod slot, and assign track 4 to the cutoff, you can then dial the automation down using a negative amount value. You can dial it all the way to having no cutoff from track 4 completely or anything in between 0 and full.

That’s my best attempt at trying to explain it.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I managed to step on a cord plugged into one of my audio outs, and broke the jack.
It will still pass sound but the cord will not stay in place.
Bummer.
I am hoping it is "field replaceable", and it is something I can live with, using the other jack in mono, but a bummer nonetheless. I do not see being able to send it to Sequential to get fixed anytime soon.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Aiken View Post
I managed to step on a cord plugged into one of my audio outs, and broke the jack.
It will still pass sound but the cord will not stay in place.
Bummer.
I am hoping it is "field replaceable", and it is something I can live with, using the other jack in mono, but a bummer nonetheless. I do not see being able to send it to Sequential to get fixed anytime soon.
You can use the headphones out until it’s fixed. If you want to get the stereo back.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
You can use the headphones out until it’s fixed. If you want to get the stereo back.
I tend to work in mono anyway but good suggestion, and of course the day I lose stereo will be the day I have some panning thing I want to try.

I also think if I take a right angled plug, and a piece of gaffer tape I can get it to stay until such time as repair is possible.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search