The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Sequential Pro 3
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear
@ cbmd or @ Pym or whomever knows:

Is it correct to infer that despite the Pro-3 having fewer OSCs, LFOs, ENVs, and (other obvious feature-quantity differences) than the Pro-2, that they/Sequential believe the Pro-3 is even more powerful/flexible/capable than its predecessor despite those omissions?

Or is it more that they/you guys "don't care" how the Pro-3 feature list compares to the Pro-2, it's "a new and different thing entirely", or something? For instance, do Sequential themselves think the design of the Pro-3 lends itself to compliment the Pro-2 or to replace a Pro-2?

Know what I mean? It's a little odd when the "new version" of something has fewer key features than its predecessor. Surely this topic came up. I'm more curious about your thoughts and intent and conscious design decisions rather than complaining so there's no "tone" here, just normal questions.

Is it basically your guys contention that the Pro-3 is more powerful with less because it does so differently, basically? Because the omissions are outweighed by the additions, literally? Please elaborate.

A common refrain re the Pro-2 was: it's awesome, just add a couple of Analog VCOs, a such and such over there, and boom, instant win. Which is *almost* what you guys did, before you "removed" an LFO/ENV, etc. So it seems odd, really. Why...

Thanks.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by midmost View Post
this thing looks dreadfull
dreadfully delicious
Old 3 days ago
Gear Maniac

Can someone explain the sequencer? What does it mean to have 16 tracks? Can it interop with other gear?
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by praiseallah View Post
Any idea if all 3 filters (or even 2) can be used at once?

May well be the best synth from DSI since the Evolver.
No. One at a time.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendell r. View Post
Here comes the inevitable backlash phase .. Just part of the natural cycle of these threads.
(wank shields up)
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bignatius View Post
@ cbmd or @ Pym or whomever knows:

Is it correct to infer that despite the Pro-3 having fewer OSCs, LFOs, ENVs, and (other obvious feature-quantity differences) than the Pro-2, that they/Sequential believe the Pro-3 is even more powerful/flexible/capable than predecessor despite those omissions?

Or is it more that they "don't care" how the Pro-3 feature list compares to the Pro-2, it's a new and different thing entirely, or something? For instance, do Sequential themselves think the design of the Pro-3 lends itself to compliment the Pro-2 or to replace a Pro-2?

Know what I mean? It's a little odd when the "new version" of something has fewer key features than its predecessor. Surely this topic came up. I'm nore curious about your thoughts and intent rather than complaining so there's no "tone" here, just normal questions.

Is it basically your guys contention that the Pro-3 is more powerful with less because it does so differently, basically? Because the omissions are outweighed by the additions, literally?

Thanks.
Has more filters - surely, on the one-dimensional plane on which feature-counters reside, that must amount to something?
Old 3 days ago
What a nice synth. I think it fits my Pro 2 and OB-6 perfectly.

I hope they integrate the Local Control Mode from the Prophet X.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
No. One at a time.
Damn, that is a shame :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by daviddever View Post
Has more filters - surely, on the one-dimensional plane on which feature-counters reside, that must amount to something?
Pro2 also has 0 VCO
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

I’d love to see Dave do an analog / mostly analog answer to the Wavestate

For all of the obvious reasons...!
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean_synth View Post
Can someone explain the sequencer? What does it mean to have 16 tracks? Can it interop with other gear?
3 sequencer tracks are reserved for notes, ratchets, and duration in mono mode, and 3 notes for paraphonic sequences. The other sequences can be freely assigned to any modulation destination and we've included destinations for MIDI NOTE output, MIDI CC output, CV value output, and CV trigger output,
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Sure. It's not nothing.

Maybe a touch Wider but less Deep, then?
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
[MENTION=300834]

Is it basically your guys contention that the Pro-3 is more powerful with less because it does so differently, basically? Because the omissions are outweighed by the additions, literally? Please elaborate.

A common refrain re the Pro-2 was: it's awesome, just add a couple of Analog VCOs, a such and such over there, and boom, instant win. Which is *almost* what you guys did, before you "removed" an LFO/ENV, etc. So it seems odd, really. Why...

Thanks.
The Pro 3 is unique from the Pro 2, though it builds on the Pro 2's workflow and operation. We don't view the 3 having fewer oscillators, envelopes, and LFOs as making it less powerful than the Pro 2. They both have strengths in their own right.

For example, the Pro 3 has fewer LFOs, but oscillator 3 can be set to a LFO mode and used for complex waveform modulations. Additionally, the Pro 3's wavetable oscillator has continuously morphing wavetables, with 16 separate tables per shape.

There are things that the Pro3 can do that the Pro 2 cannot, and vice versa. The Pro 3 isn't meant to replace the Pro 2, they complement each other quite well.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean_synth View Post
Assuming similarity with the Pro-2 sequencer, each track can record or be step-programmed for parameter changes, or send CV signals out. Tracks can have different lengths.

You really need to spend time hands-on with it to appreciate how immediate it is to use and to play.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Looping Envelopes!
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbmd View Post
The Pro 3 is unique from the Pro 2, though it builds on the Pro 2's workflow and operation. We don't view the 3 having fewer oscillators, envelopes, and LFOs as making it less powerful than the Pro 2. They both have strengths in their own right.

For example, the Pro 3 has fewer LFOs, but oscillator 3 can be set to a LFO mode and used for complex waveform modulations. Additionally, the Pro 3's wavetable oscillator has continuously morphing wavetables, with 16 separate tables per shape.

There are things that the Pro3 can do that the Pro 2 cannot, and vice versa. The Pro 3 isn't meant to replace the Pro 2, they complement each other quite well.
Thanks. Understanding your perspective on its intent helps to judge it fairly. I appreciate it...
Old 3 days ago
Kja
Lives for gear
I love how powerful this is, and sexy!
But I haven't heard much that I couldn't get from my p6, they have a very similar character and similar wide variety of sounds.. I'm a weirdo but I could love with the three voices, but the fact this has a screen just turns me off.. I'm just at a point I really don't like screens much anymore.. I'm definitely moving away from complicated synths with screens and menus, and the p6 is great because everything is right there.. no modulation matrix but can still do about anything anyway. I'm gonna sit this one out.. I still want a voltage lab really bad for the same price.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

If it’s not meant to replace the pro 2 then I wish it hadn’t been discontinued lol
Old 3 days ago
roc
Lives for gear

So are the filters analog or digital ?
Old 3 days ago
Gear Addict

Love that tilting panel! Bravo sequential!
Will be interested for details on paraphony sound flow, egs per oscillator etc.
Mono filter is a bit of a bitter pill, but faster for building sounds.
Filter mixing on the MxB is really interesting for sound design, if less focused (time consuming)
If this was my first mono it would be instant love! That mod-matrix! (Swoon)
This will bring many smiles to many faces.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by roc View Post
So are the filters analog or digital ?
Analog
Old 3 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbmd
It is the SEM filter.
Is that SVF filter from a vintage SEM or the reissue, then?

Ok, I'll stop... I know the answer

Any chance to match the knob style with the rest of the design on the SE version? I think they only go well with the cheaper one. It's a far cry from the Pro 2 even.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbmd View Post

Funny, I was just thinking about how that 3rd Wavetable oscillator can be set to Low Frequency mode, turning it into a complex LFO (especially if it in turn can be modulated by the main LFO). Endless modulation possibilities right there. And if the envelopes are all loopable, that makes them potential LFOs as well.

And if that’s not enough, you plug a Maths into the CV In ports.....
Old 3 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kja View Post
I love how powerful this is, and sexy!
But I haven't heard much that I couldn't get from my p6, they have a very similar character and similar wide variety of sounds.. I'm a weirdo but I could love with the three voices, but the fact this has a screen just turns me off.. I'm just at a point I really don't like screens much anymore.. I'm definitely moving away from complicated synths with screens and menus, and the p6 is great because everything is right there.. no modulation matrix but can still do about anything anyway. I'm gonna sit this one out.. I still want a voltage lab really bad for the same price.
The strength of this are more the various filter, deep modulation and sequencing options. Those last two go way beyond what the P6 can, making it closer to a modular synth than a poly.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by realtrance
Funny, I was just thinking about how that 3rd Wavetable oscillator can be set to Low Frequency mode, turning it into a complex LFO (especially if it in turn can be modulated by the main LFO). Endless modulation possibilities right there.
But that would sound completely random in a way that the result would be barely distinguishable from any different wavetable modulated by another LFO. What's the point? Endless micro-varieties on a synth-fart theme? Then plug maths on top of that? This is approaching the asymptote of practical synthesis. By all means, enjoy.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arder View Post
But that would sound completely random in a way that the result would be barely distinguishable from any different wavetable modulated by another LFO. What's the point? Endless micro-varieties on a synth-fart theme? Then plug maths on top of that? This is approaching the asymptote of practical synthesis. By all means, enjoy.
Not everyone wants to play an endlessly looping waveform all the time.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Hardly. Barely scratching the surface.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Guru

Sounds great to me. Good job Sequential!
Old 3 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Who pooped in your cereal?
Old 3 days ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
Some call it a line
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
There's always a limit, depending on what you like, yes. But then you just scale back to one VCO, the SEM filter, add a little analogue distortion and you can have simple, melodic synth lines. With another VCO mixed in as a sub-osc, if desired.

Just because it's all there doesn't mean you have to use all of it all the time.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search