The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
What analog poly synth old or new can do the Rhodes thing?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
What analog poly synth old or new can do the Rhodes thing?

Rhodes electric piano that is.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

If you want the sound of an electric piano get a real one or an emulation, don't get an analogue subtractive synthesizer for that, that's stupid. Check the nord eletro or the nord stage or cheaper models from various other constructors. The Reface CP is a great emulation as well.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by camus2 View Post
If you want the sound of an electric piano get a real one or an emulation, don't get an analogue subtractive synthesizer for that, that's stupid. Check the nord eletro or the nord stage or cheaper models from various other constructors.
I'm looking for in the ballpark, not exactly.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Believe it or not, the Deep Mind 6/12 does this well. Preset A10 “In My Spot” is very ballpark-y
Old 1 week ago
Kja
Lives for gear
I have got very close on my prophet 6, about as well as that video, but mine is way more barky like a Rhodes. Off topic but I made a great piano on my prophet 6. It is driving what you can do with a subtractive poly but I guess is all just sound waves anyway.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Emulation requires oscillator sync for the bell and a lower filtered square/saw. Both need to be velocity-controlled individually. That's a big ask for analogs. Moog One or so - sure. Perhaps Prologue is a nice compromise.

An Access Virus B/C has a pretty passable Rhodes, but it's not analog.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

JD-XA using xmod, sync etc. or the cheesy EP romples

I wouldn't get one specifically for it though!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Nords or Kronos are the best for these jobs. They both have the detail required in the sounds. But nothing sounds like the real thing, every one is different! Youll only ever have snapshot of what a Rhodes sounds like.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I know its not analog, but I would get a Yamaha Reface CP and play it from a decent keyboard. Sounds pretty decent for the price.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Get a vst for that. This comes real close.
https://www.native-instruments.com/e...carbee-mark-1/
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Novation Peak

I'm constantly surprised every time I play this synth .
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by namnibor View Post
Believe it or not, the Deep Mind 6/12 does this well. Preset A10 “In My Spot” is very ballpark-y
Yeah, the osc 2 shaper can get you into chimey territory.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Chroma
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Why insist on using an analog synth when other methods work better?

Why not just buy a Rhodes?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

In all honesty, this is why you buy a nice ROMpler or sampler that can do multisamples.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdvancedFollower View Post
A sustain pedal would be perfect with that. And a bit of thumping tremolo.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Isn’t “Everything in its right place” a synth? Very Rhodes like, but sounds great when the filter opens at the end. Thought this was what OP was after...
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Just get a DX7.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by kslight View Post
Just get a DX7.
I got one two weeks ago...had it going through two pedal boards last night...a tonne of fun and tones for under $400

Worth at least $700*

Old 1 week ago
short answer is Prophet 5 with compression+chorus

a more detailed description is here
https://www.reddit.com/r/synthrecipe...s_right_place/

most of the info in that reddit article was sourced from this e-book:
https://books.google.ca/books?id=Jz1...tchell&f=false

these days Thom uses a Prophet 8 or a Rhodes, depending.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Kurzweil PC3 series and upper synths have my favourite Rhodes/Wurlitzer emulation (I prefer it over the Nord).

But if you’re looking for a real synth, I would say the Roland JX-8P is capable of very interesting Rhodes-like pianos. And the obvious: any FM synth (DX7 or similar).
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Tempest can get a good Rhodes sound going.

https://soundcloud.com/cbmdmusic/tem...hodespatch-mix
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcearl View Post
I got one two weeks ago...had it going through two pedal boards last night...a tonne of fun and tones for under $400

Worth at least $700*

I see what you did there
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Prophet 08 / Tetra family can do a surprisingly good job.

(Jump to 19 mins)
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Just about any analog poly synth can get you into the ballpark. But if you want to be in the game that’s another story. Most Rhodes like sounds on synths don’t actually sound like Rhodes. They imitate the envelope sort of with a square wave on one oscillator and a saw on the other for a little bite on the attack. Older synths that don’t have velocity will probably not work as well as newer ones but again, depends how far into the ballpark you want to go.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4Jazz View Post
Just about any analog poly synth can get you into the ballpark. But if you want to be in the game that’s another story. Most Rhodes like sounds on synths don’t actually sound like Rhodes. They imitate the envelope sort of with a square wave on one oscillator and a saw on the other for a little bite on the attack. Older synths that don’t have velocity will probably not work as well as newer ones but again, depends how far into the ballpark you want to go.
i think OP is very well aware of that, but was looking for synthetic "ballpark", which can prove to be an interesting sound on its own, even as a failed rhodes patch.

Andromeda does this fantastic... i get these analoguish pseudo electromechanical sounds that are great for comping, chords, generally polyphonic playing in pianoish style. ton of parameters to set how the synth engine will respond to velocity.

another poly was great at that stuff, actually my all time favorite for this, but i still didnt keep it in the end: Roland MKS80 Rev4. sensational for fake electric and analog pianos and comping sounds, and great expressive response to velocity.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Moog One does Synth-EP

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search