The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Favorite mono synths?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Favorite mono synths?

We are definitely in a golden age of synthesizers. With lots of modern stuff, as well as re-creations of classic gear. I’m looking at a new mono towards the end of the year, and was curious as to what everyone’s favorites are, and what do you primarily use them for?

By the end of the year, we will presumably have more or less spot on recreations of the Model D, Pro-1, ARP, MS20, etc. Plus lots of modern stuff all over the board from Pro-2 and Matrix Brute to less ambitious options like Crave, Neutron,etc.

Are the sounds of some of these classics different enough to warrant getting all of them, most of them, etc?
Old 1 week ago
Well Ive only owned and played three (I think), so my favorites have to be the original Bass Station, SH-101 and my Microbrute.. After this Behringer Pro One hits, Ill probably add that to the list as well hehe..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

they all have their own sound characters.
besides the clones one should have an eye on the dreadbox and pittsburgh modular desktop synths
Old 1 week ago
Kja
Lives for gear
Pittsburgh deffinetly, but for the one synth I love the most and all out tone is my artisan by a mile. It has much better tone to me than even the new semi modular moog's, it's just is an incredible sound. However since they are hard to get, I don't think any new ones will be available for atleast a couple months than I would say get a Moog, they are great all over their range.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monotremata View Post
Well Ive only owned and played three (I think), so my favorites have to be the original Bass Station, SH-101 and my Microbrute.. After this Behringer Pro One hits, Ill probably add that to the list as well hehe..
Ahh, two more classic entries i forgot all about (101 and Bass Station).

So many quality options out there!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Below are three of my favorite monophonic synths:

* Moog Sirin
* Pittsburgh Modular Lifeforms SV-1 Blackbox
* Studio Electronic Boomstar SEM

I would include the Korg ARP Odyssey Module RV3 and Waldorf Pulse 2 on the list, but they are technically not monophonic synths.

Last edited by TxH003; 1 week ago at 03:18 AM..
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxH003 View Post
I would include the Korg ARP Odyssey Module RV3 and Waldorf Pulse 2 on the list, but they are technically not monophonic synths.
Oh crap I forgot the OG Pulse! Ive played one of those too haha. I can't believe I forgot about it, it ruled!
Old 1 week ago
Pro 2
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Over the last 3 years I’ve been on a hunting expedition for a monosynth that is truly consistently inspiring. Started with a Korg MS2000b, Moog Sub37, Moog Voyager, DSi Pro2, Korg Minilogue, Roland System 1, and Behringer Model D.
I ultimately ended up selling all those and ended up with a real Moog Model D Reissue (which I love), MatrixBrute ( a modern classic), Vermona Perfourmer (just magic) and Moog Grandmother ( still at a loss for words). In a nut shell all the monos I sold were decent, but I don’t miss any of them with the exception of the Voyager but it was hard to justify having a model d and a Voyager at the same time . In truth it’s hard to justify having the four I mentioned as no one needs that many monos but they are so good that I can’t imagine selling them. Each one So good for different reasons
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

The GRP A2 is special. Sounds as gorgeous as it looks.

http://www.grpsynthesizer.it/index.p...zer-a2-en.html
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankenstino View Post
Over the last 3 years I’ve been on a hunting expedition for a monosynth that is truly consistently inspiring. Started with a Korg MS2000b, Moog Sub37, Moog Voyager, DSi Pro2, Korg Minilogue, Roland System 1, and Behringer Model D.
I ultimately ended up selling all those and ended up with a real Moog Model D Reissue (which I love), MatrixBrute ( a modern classic), Vermona Perfourmer (just magic) and Moog Grandmother ( still at a loss for words). In a nut shell all the monos I sold were decent, but I don’t miss any of them with the exception of the Voyager but it was hard to justify having a model d and a Voyager at the same time . In truth it’s hard to justify having the four I mentioned as no one needs that many monos but they are so good that I can’t imagine selling them. Each one So good for different reasons
What is special about the Moog vs the Boog that made it worth 10 x’s the price for you? All indications are that sonically they are 99% identical, if not closer.

Th boog is small and toy like in comparison and to the rich among us that might be worth $3k. I’m interested to see what your choice is based on.

Do you think a sub37 has any place alongside a D? I like the modulation options (and presets obviously) on the sub37 vs a D.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

There are a lot of very fine new digital synths recently on show and listening to lots of their demo's leaves a certain feeling and vibe, then playing a recent MS-20 usurper, you get that extra missing VCO Analog vibe. Analog mono's are different enough from each other but I would not buy them all for the sake of it, just get the ones you really like...
Old 1 week ago
Sub37 - one my favorites, handles a lot of my bass and arps. Harmonically rich is the only way I can describe it. It’s a heavy sounding synth.

Minibrute OG - I just think this synth can sound lovely at times if the waveforms are pulled back. Really changes character too when moving from lowpass to bandpass and pushing the waveforms harder.. tremendous value at the moment in my opinion.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

It's a pretty personal thing. These days I don't feel like I need more than one (in trying to be somewhat minimal) or at most two. I use them mostly for leads, basses and sound effects. I've had a Moog Voyager, Minitaur, Korg MS-20, MS-20 mini, SE Boomstar 5089, Vermona Perfourmer, Lancet, Arturia Microbrute, GRP A2, MacBeth Micromac (I know I'm missing something?). Anyway, these days I just have the Micromac. Not saying it's better than the others, but it is for me. If I didn't have it, personally I would probably be strongly considering a Moog Matriarch.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicBern View Post
There are a lot of very fine new digital synths recently on show and listening to lots of their demo's leaves a certain feeling and vibe, then playing a recent MS-20 usurper, you get that extra missing VCO Analog vibe. Analog mono's are different enough from each other but I would not buy them all for the sake of it, just get the ones you really like...
Wished I lived near a shop where I could properly (or at all) demo an MS20, ARP, Bass Station, pro 1 (when available) etc. For me it would require I spend a couple grand ordering things and then sending back what I didn’t want. That would freak the ole lady out.

She rightly wouldn’t trust that anything would wind up going back.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3bc View Post
Wished I lived near a shop where I could properly (or at all) demo an MS20, ARP, Bass Station, pro 1 (when available) etc. For me it would require I spend a couple grand ordering things and then sending back what I didn’t want. That would freak the ole lady out.

She rightly wouldn’t trust that anything would wind up going back.
Keep listening to YouTube demo's, gives you a good idea of the basic sound differences...
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicBern View Post
Keep listening to YouTube demo's, gives you a good idea of the basic sound differences...
And buying used one at a time is a good way to test in your environment. I almost never buy new and synth geeks swap out gear quite a bit. Just keep all the packaging and it’s not that bad. That’s what I would recommend. And don’t be surprised if you repurchase a synth a few times! Ha!
Old 1 week ago
You guys that have had em... How is the MS-20 as a bass machine?? Im talking like deep detuned like dnb and ambient dub/illbient "dark-hop" type stuff?? Thats what the Microbrutes job is here but it feels like its hitting a brick wall as far as tone variety goes with it hehe. What I would REALLY love is just one more oscillator like the Minibrute has, but whatever I get to replace it, has to have that same 'mean' vibe the Microbrute can get when it starts to get overloaded. Dig the Brute Factor but mine seems to only have one range where its useful between 1-2:00 and that's it but its a pretty awesome aggressive sound when it works heh. With Behringer on fire lately, Im looking at the K-20 or maybe the Pro One when it arrives for a new bass mono.
Old 1 week ago
i use monos for drones, textures, leads, basses, step sequencer/arpeggio stuff..effects etc. my favorites:

minimoog old osc board & source
oberheim sem original
roland system 100, sh101 & sh2

other nice ones i don't own: rsf kobol, arp axxe mk2, octave cat, ttsh and recently matriarch.

Quote:
You guys that have had em... How is the MS-20 as a bass machine?? Im talking like deep detuned like dnb and ambient dub/illbient "dark-hop" type stuff??
dark hop - trip hop deep dark bass .. i tried this on many monos, but never heard anything do it as convincing as my vintage Oberheim SEM. you close that filter down and its so thick that you can't stick a needle in it it and sounds as if you already have an invisible compressor on it.

had MS20 mk2. great characterful hardcore basses, nice fuzzy harmonics, chewing with filter etc. does semi distorted sweeps since its capable of various forms of feedback patching. however, it does not have earth shaking sub bass range like some other usual suspects.

must admit i never used it in such manner, but my 2c guess is it could be a top layer for DnB where all the harmonics action and sweeping is done, but i would want to put something with humongous floor shaking range under it. digital or analog.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

My new favorite monosynth is the Matriarch

Incredible sound... flexible and powerful architecture before even starting to use patch cords. The workspace is spacious, good sized knobs with room around them and it has the clearly divided modules. I was starting to reach for and turn a knob without looking at it on the second day.

I quite like my little Behringer Neutron, but even after having it for a few months, I still have to look to see what I am doing. Of course it is a helluva lot cheaper!

In the first 4 days of playing the Matriarch, I must have made 2+ dozen lovely lead sounds. One solid sound after another has been flowing out.

I also very much value that the keyboard has velocity and aftertouch plus expression pedal input. Also Pitchbend and ModWheels and of course it is easy to tweak the knobs themselves while playing. Along with a quality keybed, it is a joy to play!

With the 4 Osc's with a wide octave range and cascading Sync along with FM and Ring Mod, I have been finding some amazing ambient/soundscape sounds. And the tone...
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
You guys that have had em... How is the MS-20 as a bass machine?? Im talking like deep detuned like dnb and ambient dub/illbient "dark-hop" type stuff?? Thats what the Microbrutes job is here but it feels like its hitting a brick wall as far as tone variety goes with it hehe. What I would REALLY love is just one more oscillator like the Minibrute has, but whatever I get to replace it, has to have that same 'mean' vibe the Microbrute can get when it starts to get overloaded. Dig the Brute Factor but mine seems to only have one range where its useful between 1-2:00 and that's it but its a pretty awesome aggressive sound when it works heh. With Behringer on fire lately, Im looking at the K-20 or maybe the Pro One when it arrives for a new bass mono.
At the likely price of the K-2, it is probably a no brainer if you don't already have a variant of the MS-20...

As clusterchord says, you will still want more mono's etc for all kinds of BASS and SUB BASS duties...
Old 1 week ago
• Moog Little/Slim Phatty (authentic Moog ladder-filter sound).
• Studio Electronics' SE-1 (boomin' sub-bass freqs).
• Mopho x4 (not a mono—but wow, what a bass-machine, with its two-octave sub-osc and built-in feedback circuit!).
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

SH-2 is my go to for classic mono sounds.
Micromoog for weirdness and character.
Yamaha CS-5 has my favourite PWM sound ever.

Moog Model D has the funk but probably gets the least use.

Recently, I am in love with the OG microkorg for some big bass sounds.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

korg ms20 and korg monologue and special mention too Behringer neutron (yes I know its paraphonic but if you only play one note its monophonic )
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Jupiter 6 in solo unison...you gotta love that detune knob!
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by clusterchord View Post
must admit i never used it in such manner, but my 2c guess is it could be a top layer for DnB where all the harmonics action and sweeping is done, but i would want to put something with humongous floor shaking range under it. digital or analog.
Hmmm.. Maybe I could keep the Microbrute alongside it and use the Micro for the low end sub layers and the K-20 on top. That chewy distorted fat midrange mushing throughout the filter sweeping is what Im after. I got tons of stuff that can get the subs back in!

Oooh maybe some dual sweeping low end Metalizer action with the upper K-20 grind on top!! Ill definitely have to head over to GC when/if they get em in stock hehe. Damn I have the Korg Legacy Collection but haven't touched it in ages.. Maybe I should go play with the MS-20 real quick haha.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Have a grandmother and dreadbox nyx v2. Love them both.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Boog + Neutron+ MS20 mini=plenty of bass but lest not forget Mono Evolver Keyboard polychained to two desktops = *ass master
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by namnibor View Post
Boog + Neutron+ MS20 mini=plenty of bass but lest not forget Mono Evolver Keyboard polychained to two desktops = *ass master
Ass master? Did you say that right?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

As1 ... great sound

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search