The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Favorite mono synths?
Old 1 week ago
Certainly my Moog Minimoog Model D (reissue), not just my favorite mono but my favorite synth and piece of gear, period.

But the surprisingly close runner up is the Roland/Studio Electronics SE-02. So good I bought two. Fantastic tone, excellent features and connectivity, patch memory and the best onboard sequencer Roland has put out in ages. Paired with a great controller, it’s a monster, regardless of the size. It just doesn’t bring me the same pleasure as manipulating the Moog, though, so it’ll have to settle for second place.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsaintjohn View Post
Certainly my Moog Minimoog Model D (reissue), not just my favorite mono but my favorite synth and piece of gear, period.

But the surprisingly close runner up is the Roland/Studio Electronics SE-02. So good I bought two. Fantastic tone, excellent features and connectivity, patch memory and the best onboard sequencer Roland has put out in ages. Paired with a great controller, it’s a monster, regardless of the size. It just doesn’t bring me the same pleasure as manipulating the Moog, though, so it’ll have to settle for second place.
Yup I’m with u. My Moog model d is my favourite -
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

The Vermona perFOURmer can do 4 VCO mono with a shared VCF/VCA envelope per oscillator
however the Abyss has this beat when in Multimode (feed it via midigal in stacked mode) and the DIP switch set,
it can do 4 VCO mono with different VCF with 4 Different VCA envelopes per oscillator.
(as well as have 4 different velocity settings).
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head
My vintage Moog Model D and Korg Mono/Poly. Two awesome synths!! Add a few pedals to play with, and you can get lost for days.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Roland/Studio Electronics SE-02

How would you describe its sound? Most of the stuff I heard has been quite hard sounding brickwall of distortion. im going through some youtubes now & interesting you compare it to the mini
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

You know everyone is going to list whatever monosynths they own or have played. LOL. There are so many of them and I doubt most of us have had the occasion to try more than just a few of them.

I currently have two (well, three if you count the analog part of the JD-Xi) and they're great in their own ways.

Novation Bass Station II - for the sound and the flexibility. They crammed a ton of features into an inexpensive synth with a nice keybed (with aftertouch to boot), and the firmware updates over the past couple years have made it even more powerful.

Moog Sirin - for the SOUND. Oh, the sound. Certainly not a super flexible or powerful synth by any means, but the sound. Did I tell you I love the sound of this thing? 95% of the time my BSII just serves as a controller for the Sirin for this reason. This just makes me GAS for more Moog synths in the future.

There are many more that I've seen/heard on Youtube or in music I've heard, and some that certainly intrigue me, everything from the venerable Model D and its clones like the Boog, the Moog Grandmother and Matriarch (ok, not just mono but still, great synth), Sub37, SEM, Boomstars, SE-02, SH-101, Pro One, Pro 2, Odyssey, etc. etc. If I had the space and money I'd probably have a dozen or more, and that's just monosynths. I'd also have another wall piled up with polys.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpatz View Post
You know everyone is going to list whatever monosynths they own or have played. LOL. There are so many of them and I doubt most of us have had the occasion to try more than just a few..
Lots of truth in that but best to go from experience. I have only owned Slim Phatty, Evolver, Boomstar SE80 (still have it), Pitts Modular Foundation 2.0, and the two I recommended (Minibrute and Sub37). Have played several others at my friends but it’s not the same as owning for awhile. Would love to get another Evolver for sure, would prefer the Keyboard version..
Old 1 week ago
Pro 2 for days
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
I had a pro 2 twice sold it both times just felt a little too digital for my taste. Ended up with a MatrixBrute and it hit the spot. Not saying it was bad but just not for me
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Odyssey.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

I own a few Monos that are listed here as well, but my favorite one is the original NYX. Such a character piece.
Old 5 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by rasseru View Post
How would you describe its sound? Most of the stuff I heard has been quite hard sounding brickwall of distortion. im going through some youtubes now & interesting you compare it to the mini
It has a wide palette, but if I compare it to others I have (Minimoog, Moog Sirin, Roland System100), the SE-02 has a sharp and aggressive zone that the others don't easily get into. It has a similar heavy low-end to the Minimoog, but the additional features let it go places the others don't easily go. It can be smooth and funky, or it can really go out there. The improvements made in subsequent firmware updates made it a real contender.

The SE-02 is not perfect, usability requires extra effort and patience due to the smaller size. But the patience is rewarded.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

I have owned many mono synths in my time.

The one that stuck in my mind most was the Moog Rogue.

One of the simplest Moog's but also one of the purest. One of the few synths where I actually felt like I was playing/manipulating electricity (if that makes sense). Used mainly for soft mellow leads and deep rounded bass sounds.

Pic from a long time ago before I sold it. (Can't remember why either)

Last edited by flat; 5 days ago at 10:26 PM..
Old 5 days ago
Funny a Monologue popped up on the local Craigslist yesterday so I hit the guy up about possibly trading my Microbrute for it and he's thinking about it hehehe.

Man it just now hit me, my favorite mono synth is probably my modular hahaha. It just occurred to me that I have the fattest 3 VCO/3 filter/3 amp synth I could ever want right next to me! :D This thing would be killer for DnB basses hehe. I got some work to do now!
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
It has a wide palette, but if I compare it to others I have (Minimoog, Moog Sirin, Roland System100), the SE-02 has a sharp and aggressive zone that the others don't easily get into. It has a similar heavy low-end to the Minimoog, but the additional features let it go places the others don't easily go. It can be smooth and funky, or it can really go out there. The improvements made in subsequent firmware updates made it a real contender.

The SE-02 is not perfect, usability requires extra effort and patience due to the smaller size. But the patience is rewarded.
Well, you have me intrigued... I may have to check one out sometime

Quote:
Originally Posted by flat View Post

One of the simplest Moog's but also one of the purest. One of the few synths where I actually felt like I was playing/manipulating electricity (if that makes sense). Used mainly for soft mellow leads and deep rounded bass sounds.

I love the rogue...
Old 5 days ago
Gear Addict

I feel the pain. I sold my Moog Prodigy back in 1991 for $100 CDN
because it did not have midi. Ironically, I could really use it now.
But I won't rebuy at the inflated prices!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flat View Post

Old 5 days ago
Gear Addict
Teisco 110F. Its filter, lively VCOs and its well laid out interface with top notch modulation capabilities somehow keep scratching every mono itch I have.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search