The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Recommend an audio interface.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yora View Post
A saw a focusrite Pro 40 go second hand for 250AU the other day. It won’t be as good as your Fireface I’m sure but it’s a temporary backup and keeps other plans intact.

I’ve still got one of these in the rack, albeit unused and it’s definitely not total crap.
It's certainly workable, but if my experience with the Saffire Pro 24 is a guide, it has a much higher noise floor than the kind of modern A/D converters that @ zerocrossing started out looking at. As you say, a possible stopgap, but definitely a noticeable step back.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Gaia View Post
It's certainly workable, but if my experience with the Saffire Pro 24 is a guide, it has a much higher noise floor than the kind of modern A/D converters that @ zerocrossing started out looking at. As you say, a possible stopgap, but definitely a noticeable step back.

For sure I agree.
It as a temp backup I think it’s ok.

Plus then he can still buy his synths . That was really my angle.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by usedtohaveajuno View Post
Given your well-known love of software, I recommend you invest in a virtual audio interface.

It will appear on your screen as 8 virtual inputs and 8 virtual outputs and you can route your DAW to those as appropriate.

Two virtual speakers will appear at each side of your 28" widescreen monitor and they will vibrate in a realistic fashion as audio is routed to each channel. Because it's software, the virtual interface will faithfully recreate 19 different classi A/D and D/A circuits and you will notice the difference by noting the change in speaker vibrations.

There will also be two virtual headphone facilities, which will allow you and your partner to sit staring at the computer, as two computer generated heads wearing the headphones bob along on screen. From time to time, one of the on-screen heads will remove their headphones, ruffle their hair up, then put them back on.
Ha, good one.

What he should really do is buy a good vintage audio interface.
Sure it will be unreliable, grotesquely overpriced and lacking in basic features and convenient workflow, but mojo, am I right!
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
Yeah, until I had the issue with my 400, it worked flawlessly. I guess the thing to do is get another one. They’re still fairly cheap. When that comes, send mine for repair and keep it for a backup.
Why not just grab Babyface I. They cost next to nothing. There is probably nothing to install, it should work with existing drivers. Literally plug and play. Once your FF400 comes back from the service, you can place Babyface aside / in the storage for a backup. Everyone needs a backup. And babyface is so small one can actually lose it in a drawer.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

What's the skinny on these:

(Presonus Quantum 48x48 Thunderbolt 2 for $1500)

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...udio-interface
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Solaris View Post
Why not just grab Babyface I. They cost next to nothing. There is probably nothing to install, it should work with existing drivers. Literally plug and play. Once your FF400 comes back from the service, you can place Babyface aside / in the storage for a backup. Everyone needs a backup. And babyface is so small one can actually lose it in a drawer.
The Babyface is cute, but it doesn’t have enough inputs for me to have a continuous fully working studio, like I have now. I guess I could suck it up Until the 400 is back... focus on plugins and guitars. I’ve done it before.
Old 1 week ago
Aml
Gear Maniac

MOTU 16A? I love mine. Doesn't have MIDI, but pair it with a MIDI Express, and between the two, I haven't run out of line/MIDI inputs yet.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Head

What about the cymatic audio utrack24?
Old 6 days ago
Gear Guru

I’ve been giving it some thought... and here’s my current frame of mind.

I’m currently using the MIDi on the 400 to extend my MIDI express, so though I know I didn’t mention it, it would be nice to have at least 2 MIDI i/o ports, or else I’m getting a new MIDI interface as well, which I don’t really want to do.

Upgrading from the 400 to the 800 seems like a no-brainer and it will be nice to have the extra i/o. They’re both in the realm of “Christmas present from wife” price ranges, so that would make my Christmas synth stash open for my diabolical plans. Not very “sexy” and fun, but gets the job done.

Or...

I could go a tad more “sexy and fun” and get an Apollo UAD2 Quad Firewire interface. Sexy because I was already thinking of getting a compressor for my 2 bus, and while this wasn’t the “analog compressor” idea that I was originally toying with, probably close enough for me and I’d appreciate the extra flexibility.

So...

RME Firewire 800 + Synth this Christmas

Or

UAD Apollo and wait until April for the synth.

I’m kind of leaning a tad towards the UAD route... unless someone really thinks that’s a stupid way to go. Reminder: I’m not a professional studio, just a dude messing about for my own enjoyment. I do keep all my hardware synths hooked up so I can quickly switch between them using Bitwig’s External Instrument device, and having a bit of compression at the input stage and on the 2 bus would be nice, though I’m currently using software with pretty good results.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

I'd be cautious about investing in an expensive Firewire solution at this point. The technology has been an evolutionary dead end for years now, and while it still works well it means that we're that much closer to a time when people won't test with it and driver support may become a problem. I would have no problem with suggesting a used Firewire interface for someone on a budget - but again, I would think twice before picking up a premium product that depends on it if you're hoping to use it for many years to come.
Old 6 days ago
Quote:
The Babyface is cute, but it doesn’t have enough inputs for me to have a continuous fully working studio, like I have now. I guess I could suck it up Until the 400 is back... focus on plugins and guitars. I’ve done it before.
ADA8200. Cost less than one dinner. Does the job.

I have one as a backup. Always clock it to RME's clock. Sounds ok.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Solaris View Post
ADA8200. Cost less than one dinner. Does the job.

I have one as a backup. Always clock it to RME's clock. Sounds ok.
Oh, I’ve already got one to extend the 400 so I can have 16 analog inputs. That’s getting hooked up to whatever I buy.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Gaia View Post
I'd be cautious about investing in an expensive Firewire solution at this point. The technology has been an evolutionary dead end for years now, and while it still works well it means that we're that much closer to a time when people won't test with it and driver support may become a problem. I would have no problem with suggesting a used Firewire interface for someone on a budget - but again, I would think twice before picking up a premium product that depends on it if you're hoping to use it for many years to come.
I’m still pissed about the demise of SCSI. Now where’s my Zip drive?!

FireWire is just my way of avoiding USB issues, like feedback loop noise, which I’ve experienced in the past. It’s been working flawlessly for me since 1999, the year the moon blasted out of orbit and went into deep space.

But I see your point. I’m not up for switching to a Mac for music... so do I just go for USB 2? 3? C? I’ll be totally honest, I’ve been ignoring this aspect of things for a long time and I really don’t know what the “future proof” options are.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Addict

If u have firewire the Steinberg MR816 is good value. You can use up to 3 at once, so u may be able to ditch the ada8200. I had ada8000 in the past and did not like the sound. It also works with a thunderbolt converter.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I’m still pissed about the demise of SCSI. Now where’s my Zip drive?!
I have boxes of SCSI cables, Zip and Jaz drives and cartidges, even a few magneto-optical disks for an oddball drive that's near impossible to find in working order! (I donated mine to a museum.)

Quote:
FireWire is just my way of avoiding USB issues, like feedback loop noise, which I’ve experienced in the past. It’s been working flawlessly for me since 1999, the year the moon blasted out of orbit and went into deep space.
Yes, FireWire had a lot going for it and I was sorry to see the market mock it until USB buried it under a pile of misinformed users who didn't understand what they were giving up. Thankfully, much of what made FireWire awesome (yes, isochronous transfer mode!) carried forward to Thunderbolt and market pressures are finally forcing USB and Thunderbolt to converge. It really is the future.

Quote:
But I see your point. I’m not up for switching to a Mac for music... so do I just go for USB 2? 3? C?
Either...

1) Bite the bullet and go to USB or Thunderbolt now (the USB-C connector can carry Thunderbolt 1, 2, or 3 as well as USB 1, 2, 3, and 3.1 signals so it's not really an alternative to any of those - just the newest shape of a connector with some nice other advantages like the ability to carry more power and plug it in either way around.) USB 2 is plenty fast enough for your needs so long as you give it a dedicated bus, which should help minimize other problems. There are also USB ground isolators if you run into problems on that front.

or 2) Cobble something together to get by on Firewire with what you have until you're ready to revisit #1 , perhaps with Thunderbolt-compatible hardware.

Quote:
I’ll be totally honest, I’ve been ignoring this aspect of things for a long time and I really don’t know what the “future proof” options are.
Nothing is entirely immune to random and sudden change, but at least USB and Thunderbolt both have a forward-looking technology roadmap with a lot of adopters and they're converging. So that looks like the best bet - just not guaranteed to be painless to adopt.

Keep in mind that AES is coming up in just over a month, so we may see some announcements in that timeframe that are either interesting, or replace perfectly good gear that will go on sale after a new iteration emerges.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Orion 32+ here. It sound REALLY good, but the Windows drivers unfortunately leave a lot to be desired.
Old 6 days ago
SRT
Lives for gear
Quote:
UAD Apollo and wait until April for the synth
The UAD route is a no brainer if you plan to take advantage of UAD plugins.

On more then one occasion I have heard that the Apollo interfaces have a bit of a signature to their sound unlike the RME/Antelope hardware which is more transparent. I can't vouch for this, nor does it necessarily matter.

Last edited by SRT; 6 days ago at 03:07 AM..
Old 6 days ago
SRT
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum7 View Post
Orion 32+ here. It sound REALLY good, but the Windows drivers unfortunately leave a lot to be desired.
Mac drivers aren't all that either. Fussy plug-n-play on USB to USB-C (requires a reboot) and their Thunderbolt driver crackles on a 2018 MacBook Pro. Then there is the two step software load, first the updater, then the mixer. No idea why their server/updater isn't a background process with a notification on the mixer so people can update when they are ready to. Finally, every once in a while detection does not occur and I have to cycle power, reboot etc. So yeah not all that great on Mac either.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search