The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
All these new synths, which ones are for you ? ?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpresev View Post
Let me re post because the other when I posted I felt great buying the Behringer Model D for 198.00 free shipping.

THen I felt guilty like "OMG, do I need another analog synth? I mean I already have the Analog Four for bass and it's good for basslines"

I had a realization, that is the last gear I ordered I will order for awhile lol.
Quote:
Plus when one has awesome credit, people throw money at you (...) Small payments are sooo doable that it's easy to charge on your card.. Fortunately my self control is stronger than being tempted..

No more synths for awhile. I truly do have my studio to make records..
Quote:
Originally Posted by syntonica View Post
You could get the whole Behri stable for under $100/mo.
Nice job expressing the long view. I'm as guilty as anyone of impulse buys -- when the Boog went up 10%, I was alarmed enough to buy one secondhand ... with no immediate plans for what to do with it, or even where to put it. Fortunately they're small. And inexpensive. I expect I'll find a use, but that wasn't what I'd call a prudent purchase.

More typically: when something is announced that sounds enticing, I start saving up for it. By the time it's actually available, I have the money ... and then begin to decide if that's really how I want to spend that money, because (by then) something else has been announced. And I already have a pretty exciting batch of synths, all of which I look forward to playing again, or learning more about.

Buying on credit *sounds fun* -- get it now, pay later -- but really it means this: when the next Really Cool Thing comes along, you'll still be paying for the now-becoming-less-cool thing.

Buying The Next Cool Thing is also fun ... in a way that has to be continually fed. "I bought that synth because everyone else was buying one" isn't a rationale with much staying power. But something else proves to be just as enjoyable: having the money to buy the Next Cool Thing [i]but not buying it[i], because i don't want to be looking at it next year wondering if it was worth having.

If the Synth of My Dreams gets announced, I want to be able to buy it without hesitation, without guilt, without worry (and without my wife giving me the eyeball) -- i.e., not on credit. I also want to know what I'll do with it (the Behringer Vocoder/String Synth was an instant sell for me, had I not then found a vintage string synth for less money). "What will I think of this synth in a year?"

Not that I won't buy stuff for fun; I have no real plans for my DX7's, but a quality synth at a low price is a worthy tool for experiment. If I lose interest or need money, I'll get back something close to what I paid. Same for most of my gear, really. No regrets, just joy.

Last edited by JPogo; 1 week ago at 07:30 PM.. Reason: left some stuff out by accident
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

the good news is I really do have the gear of my dreams.. Analog Four by Elektron that I had since 2017. The Virus TI2 that was traded for my 1200.00 dollar Matrixbrute. If I sell the Virus TI2 now, i can make some money but it's one of the best synths I ever owned..

Now, I did get the BOOG but there's another GAS that I have. It's called the Akai FORCE + AKai MPCX. I want both.. I could get it if I want to but I won't.

Now, the other day I was really close to checking out the Akai Force vs. MC707. I think FORCE is the groovebox for me. It can really do a lot..

I do think MPCX is the best groovebox DAW today. Damn, that can replace my 2014 MAC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPogo View Post
Nice job expressing the long view. I'm as guilty as anyone of impulse buys -- when the Boog went up 10%, I was alarmed enough to buy one secondhand ... with no immediate plans for what to do with it, or even where to put it. Fortunately they're small. And inexpensive. I expect I'll find a use, but that wasn't what I'd call a prudent purchase.

More typically: when something is announced that sounds enticing, I start saving up for it. By the time it's actually available, I have the money ... and then begin to decide if that's really how I want to spend that money, because (by then) something else has been announced. And I already have a pretty exciting batch of synths, all of which I look forward to playing again, or learning more about.

Buying on credit *sounds fun* -- get it now, pay later -- but really it means this: when the next Really Cool Thing comes along, you'll still be paying for the now-becoming-less-cool thing.

Buying The Next Cool Thing is also fun ... in a way that has to be continually fed. "I bought that synth because everyone else was buying one" isn't a rationale with much staying power. But something else proves to be just as enjoyable: having the money to buy the Next Cool Thing [i]but not buying it[i], because i don't want to be looking at it next year wondering if it was worth having.

If the Synth of My Dreams gets announced, I want to be able to buy it without hesitation, without guilt, without worry (and without my wife giving me the eyeball) -- i.e., not on credit. I also want to know what I'll do with it (the Behringer Vocoder/String Synth was an instant sell for me, had I not then found a vintage string synth for less money). "What will I think of this synth in a year?"

Not that I won't buy stuff for fun; I have no real plans for my DX7's, but a quality synth at a low price is a worthy tool for experiment. If I lose interest or need money, I'll get back something close to what I paid. Same for most of my gear, really. No regrets, just joy.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
I do think MPCX is the best groovebox DAW today. Damn, that can replace my 2014 MAC.
Im stuck on the software version until funds come along but yeah.. If it weren't for the fact I have to use it on my Mac, I wouldn't be sitting at my computer very much at all nowadays. A Live with say a terabyte drive in it (and hopefully MIDI clock being stable nowadays) and MPC world will be it for me, until I needed to master basically. Haven't touched Logic Pro since May other than recording some of my patches before I mailed off my Nord Modular to its new owner last weekend.
For me and the way I work, everything is moving quicker and more efficiently than it ever has with the MPC.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by clusterchord View Post
moog matriarch
+finally a modern moog tone i dig, organic, inspiring, modularity, fun factor
-expensive, too dark delay
The settings (using shift+sync to enter) allow you to toggle between dark and bright.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcearl View Post
what I like is when you justify financing by saying "its like a pizza a month"....man Im on around 40 "pizzas" a month, as well as actual pizzas
Hahaha. And I can relate. I've made those types of calculations to justify purchases many a time.

The last time I bought any gear on credit was all the way back in the mid nineties, though. Since then I've bought stuff on credit for about $600 in total, but that was an airline ticket. One time only. And that's all I've bought on credit since about 1995 if I'm not mistaken. I hate owing money to those companies. And I still managed to go absolutely dead broke some 15 years ago anyway, as in "no electricity for you" broke so...
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

A secondhand Fantom three years from now , im serious , i bought a secondhand Kronos ages back , just caked with a layer of filth , once i gentlly cleaned it ,it was beautifull , either Hydrasynth or Argon8 , dont know yet , theres some moments in the Kyras tones that were bringing me further into new ideas , want to hear more wavetables and full multimbral performances nd of course all the new presets

Last edited by LIFEPASS4; 1 week ago at 05:30 AM.. Reason: mistake
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I have several obvious openings for which I’m eyeing options from the emerging crop:

Potential third tier here in Seattle. I don’t desperately need to fill the gap, but I’ve considered a Pro 2 in the past and will keep an eye out for whatever Sequential does next or the emergence of an irresistible poly aftertouch equipped synth. I’d prefer 5 octaves, an internal power supply, and a sound that makes me sit up and take notice. So far lots of imperfect fits. The Super-6 sound speaks to me but it fails some other tests. The Hydrasynth has that poly aftertouch but it’s hit and miss on the sound front. I keep listening and contemplating.

Weighted master for my island residence. I will finally be spending more time there next year, so at some point I really need some keys. The new Fantom 8 is tempting but hints and teases about the SuperNatural acoustic library aren’t enough. I’m not buying it and shipping it there just to see if it pans out. I’ll aim to get some hands on time and watch it develop over the months to come. Perhaps Yamaha will update the Montage to be truly competitive? Maybe Kurzweil will iterate on the Forte? That’s where my head is at. Shipping is such a pain that I’m seriously considering a mostly in-the-box situation beyond the one required centerpiece. Time will tell if that works for me, as every time I consider going with just a controller or something narrowly focused like the Nord Grand or Yamaha CP-88 I get uncomfortable. I want a proper modern workstation!

Portable software for both locations. It has gotten zero attention here, but I’m keeping a close eye on the new Spitfire Audio BBC Symphony Orchestra library due in late October. Roughly 1.4 terabytes of samples losslessly compressed down to a “mere” 600GB. It would be a massive experiment and learning curve, but I’ll have the time and I am very tempted.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

I forgot about Super6 , Yes im in love with the working flow of endless sound shaping , Im wanting it more and more
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear
i'd like an oberheim, ob6, ubxa, something of the sort. for now i'll wait what dsi are coming up with. another thing i'd LOVE to get is a korg trident, but there's nothing out there under 3000 euros, which i simply can't justify. a couple of months ago a guy sold one near vienna, i drove over there. it needed a complete service and was not in very good shape cosmetically. he still asked 3200 euros for it. needless to say i passed. he sold it the next day
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search