The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
For electronic musicians, is it meaningless (or uncool) to be a keyboard virtuoso?
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPogo View Post
And why not? Because songs are recorded in modules: the chorus part, the verse part, the bridge. It works, it makes hits.
also, repeating exactly the same copied & pasted modules makes my hearing and brain tired significantly faster.
this effect is particularly evident with modern rock recordings.

Quote:
I guess that's why I'm still working with hardware and real drummers
and that's why i am a real drummer myself
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
At every stage, there's always the temptation / compulsion to do what's most available. In the 70s, getting a band of musicians to play a chorus exactly the same was impossible (though Steely Dan sure tried).

Nowadays, exact repetition is the easiest thing to do, and so it's done. And getting a perfect guitar sound (or whatever) -- well, the same samples are widely available and often used, because everyone wants the best.

And why not? Because songs are recorded in modules: the chorus part, the verse part, the bridge. It works, it makes hits. And it all sounds ground out by the same factory, built off click tracks and Pro Tools. I guess that's why I'm still working with hardware and real drummers
Ceaselessly trying to make your sound like everyone else’s because that means success:
Old 1 day ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noisewagon View Post
It struck me, even back in the day, how interesting it was that Ferris' parents couldn't buy him both a computer and a car...yet he had an $8,000+ Emulator II sitting in his bedroom for a toy to make prank phone calls.
Old 23 hours ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectorman View Post
It struck me, even back in the day, how interesting it was that Ferris' parents couldn't buy him both a computer and a car...yet he had an $8,000+ Emulator II sitting in his bedroom for a toy to make prank phone calls.
well, obviously -- because they had already bought him that Emulator II. Soaked up all the computer money, y'see.
Old 19 hours ago
Lives for gear

Virtuoso-style jamming is the body building of music -- both have the goal of getting shredded. They are both extreme niche subcultures. Just as body building doesn't really translate to athletic performance, virtuosity doesn't seem to translate to "art." That being said, both are the places to look for cutting edge ideas from people who are committed to going beyond human limits.

Interestingly, I've just started listening to the guitarist Buckethead. For a complete virtuoso shredder I really feel like I know his inner thoughts. It's like he is fighting against hiding behind his shredosity.
Old 19 hours ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutilatedlip View Post
Knowledge of music theory would certainly be useful, but at the same time it imposes an order on things that is pre-ordained and can be restrictive.
Only if you consider music theory to be prescriptive instead of descriptive.

Western music theory says "this is why this set of things sounds 'good'",
not
'"'this is the only way for things to sound 'good'".
Old 19 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by raito View Post
Only if you consider music theory to be prescriptive instead of descriptive.

Western music theory says "this is why this set of things sounds 'good'",
not
'"'this is the only way for things to sound 'good'".
Valid point.

My perspective is that it can only be a positive thing to have such talent.

But depending on the genre, not necessarily essential.

I'd kill for such skills.

I gues
Old 18 hours ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTFM View Post
Well, seems most edgy sound designers and cool musicians rely on sequencers and interfaces like Make Noise René / Buchla Thunder, which are more easy to use and have much more possibilities than traditional keyboard.

On the contrary, seems most keyboard virtuosos nowadays generally have bad taste on sound design, like infamous Jordan Rudess or those "preset warrior" in wedding / commercial bands (These are somewhat satires, I'm actually a little bit into prog rock things like Tony Banks and I'm actually a cover band member several years ago in uni, but seems thumb down these things are general consensuses of this forum).

So here are several things I'm wondering,
  1. Do keyboard virtuosos generally have bad tastes on sound design? Hiromi Uehara hasn't replaced her Nord Lead 2 for about 10 years.
  2. The era of virtuoso music (prog rock?) has ended of decades, is it uncool to be a keyboard virtuoso nowadays?
  3. If you are classical / jazz trained musician and started your career from acoustic piano / Hammond organ, do you feel your keyboard skill helpful on electronic music production?
  4. If you can't play keyboard properly, do you want to… Eh, take piano lessons?
  5. Why those guys still keep investing on overpriced and dated big digital gears (workstation keyboard or Rompler)?

this is one of the craziest posts I have ever read

"hey, is it any advantage to actually KNOW HOW TO PLAY AN INSTRUMENT"

????
Old 18 hours ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by becks bolero View Post

????
This is what happens when they don’t teach music in schools and all the radio plays is talentless hacks pecking away at keys with the assistance of computers.
Old 18 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxisaxis View Post
Ceaselessly trying to make your sound like everyone else’s because that means success:
Old 17 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by becks bolero View Post

????
Yeah, sometimes I have to call up musicians I know to decompress from The kind of crazy questions I read on GS.

There’s 3 camps of questions:

The mildly horrifying: “What chords are in XX song by chavicii gooita?”...and the chords are always really simple, like F#m, E, D”...maybe occasionally an inversion...never suspensions or anything vaguely spicy...certainly nothing approaching “hard to figure out”...

The pretty damned horrifying, including this thread: “Should I play an instrument? What cool chord generating software exists to do the hard work for me?”

The guy-wrenchingly horrifying: “Uhh...is there a plug-in to tell me which SINGLE NOTE a sample is playing at?”

And so I go to my friends and they say really comforting stuff, and you start to realise that GS isn’t the whole world, it’s one very specific microcosm...and that there are plenty of people out there who value artistry and *graft* and the magic that happens when music is made by people who actually give a damn.
Old 16 hours ago
Lives for gear

Graft?!

Well... For sure.... But..... ???

Old 14 hours ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanderbeanz View Post
Yeah, sometimes I have to call up musicians I know to decompress from The kind of crazy questions I read on GS.

There’s 3 camps of questions:
Yeah, there's always going to be those people, and they're going to post eventually. I feel the same way about the "What synth should I buy" threads ... (because the real answer is "none" so as not to jack up the prices for the everyone else).

On the other hand, "you have two oscillators and detune one and than what" still amuses me
Old 9 hours ago
Gear Maniac

"I got two oscillators and a microphone..."
Old 9 hours ago
Lives for gear

Heaven forbid people come to an internet forum to ask questions and support regarding music.

One man's "magic" is another man's insufferable attention seeking noise.
Old 2 hours ago
Lives for gear

I'm regularly astonished by the ignorance of people online about everything, but it takes all sorts, so oh well, and at least we can all learn something from each other.

Nothing replaces a sustained, systematic education with valuable mentors, though, and the devaluation of that these days in the US in particular is a real tragedy.

In more civilized countries, musical education and training is not only pervasive but in some cases mandatory.

We here in the US at this point are just a bunch of barbaric technicians, by contrast.
Old 1 hour ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by realtrance View Post
Nothing replaces a sustained, systematic education with valuable mentors, though, and the devaluation of that these days in the US in particular is a real tragedy.
but for some reasons, best youtube vids explaining music theory in clear language are all made by Americans.

for very long time i had a phobia of music theory due to horribly overcomplicated russian style of music education that still dominates everywhere in ex-USSR, so i suspect it's not that bad in US
Old 38 minutes ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by realtrance View Post
I'm regularly astonished by the ignorance of people online about everything, but it takes all sorts, so oh well, and at least we can all learn something from each other.

In more civilized countries, musical education and training is not only pervasive but in some cases mandatory.

We here in the US at this point are just a bunch of barbaric technicians, by contrast.
Old 25 minutes ago
Lives for gear

Didn't seem to hurt Billy Currie.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search