The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Modal Electronics Argon8 Wavetable Synthesizer for under $1000
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by string6theory View Post
It's about as close to KPF as you can get I think, while including displays right next to the knobs - in conjunction with a panel mod button section for instant navigation (still a tactile experience). So, I don't really consider the HS as having menus for diving... more like 'immediate' and 'contextual' knob value displays really.
That's a really good description.
If one owned the Xpander and ESQ-1 (as I did) the Hydrasynth interface looks very familiar (I feel like I already know how fast it is).
The Bright silver knob caps are a lot less familiar though, quite yucky, even (re-knobbing would be a doddle though - so there there goes that complaint - right out the window)

Hoping Modal will make their metal faceplate Blue.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

In a wait & see sort of mode after that Bonedo demo. They need to whip up some good sounds for this machine. Sounds clean & tame here, not exactly what I’m going for
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Does Argun sound cleaner and smoother and HS darker and more raw and distorted ? Some of Argun can really sound nice , reminds me of Korgs MOSS board , Hyper reminds me of Yamaha An1x

Last edited by LIFEPASS4; 1 week ago at 04:36 AM.. Reason: mistake
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost_the_peace View Post
That's rather insane and I like it
Insane and cool! But at the same time it represents exactly the quality of sound that I dislike about many digital synths (and plugins). Sort of diffuse, distant and ear piercing at the same time. And I'm the kind of person that can listen to pretty noisy and distorted stuff otherwise!
Old 1 week ago
Pip
Lives for gear

Both are interesting synths, I’m a big digital/hybrid fan (002, Solaris, Quantum, s8) and for me the Argon edges it - why because Modal have achieved a more organic digital, less harsh and more pleasing to my ear.
People don’t get how analogue an 002 can sound, because most folk haven’t played one - it’s one of its many strengths it sounds warm for a hybrid - so Argon would be my choice standing on the sidelines, sounds fabulous and is a bit of a looker and great value.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I think there's some old-style opamps in there, and possibly something else, too. The sound is reminiscent of late 80's and early 90s synths like the Ensoniq ESq1 , VFX, and beyond, and possibly even slightly warmer, too. Nice sound.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

I agree. Something about some of those Argon sounds in the last vid put me in mind of an '80s hybrid like a K3/ESQ/PPG/VS. Some stuff in the middle is hovering around PPG territory and also maybe a bit Prophet VS-like (albeit without the obvious pitch transposition artifacts), with some of that warmth/thickness that some VS patches could have. Argon is starting to reveal a sonic character that I don't know that I've quite heard from plugins and might possibly have something a little different sound-wise (not just interface-wise) to make it worth having even if one already has the popular WT synth plugins.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
Well, the Quantum, at least. They make budget instruments as well, including Largo, a synth based on the Blofeld, but lacking a few features.

A lot of people just don’t fare well with using software instruments. The level of abstraction is too much for some people. They’d rather program with a single data encoder on a tiny screen than touch a mouse, trackball or trackpad. It doesn’t make sense to me, but there you go. People are different.

That might lead you to ask why I’d bother with hardware. For a while, I didn’t. I moved ITB and liked it. Then I got a bit of an education. Some people here pointed me towards instruments that had characteristics that ITB instruments only crudely emulated. Now, you might not care that much about it, but I found that I could get really interesting results using things like audio rate modulation, distortion and feedback that were a lot better sounding in hardware than in software. Since those days, things have changed a bit. Software inches closer to what hardware can do. A lot of the time, the difference makes no difference.

But sometimes it does. To me, at least. I have the space and the means to get some great hardware synths and exploit them for what they do best, but that doesn’t mean I don’t still use software when it makes sense. Personally, I’m not interested in the Argon 8, because to me it doesn’t stray far enough away from the sounds I can get with software, but some instruments like its ancestor, the 002, makes the grade because it sound fantastic in ways that is very difficult to get from software, and trust me, I tried. YMMV. If you’re looking to get those crazy digital sounding dubstep basses, I do think the quickest route is though software, but I bet that a hardware wavetable synth like a Prophet 12 could lead you down different but interesting paths as well.

Thanks a lot for taking the time! Yeah, I get it, I won't be leaving Serum any time soon But I love analog sounds. I own a couple of analog synths too only because of how sweet they sound. Even with all the old tech luggage (no automation, sync/timing issues, room) it's still worthwhile to me. But these WT synths, idk, they don't offer anything I haven't heard coming from a decent VST. Maybe someday someone figures out how to make an affordable hardware Serum killer, that'd be so awesome.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

One of the really neat things about these 37-key synths are their portability, i.e. take it to the coffee shop or Denny's restaurant, plug into an outlet, and have a lot of fun with your ear buds or headphones on. All self-contained.

Presently, I bring my laptop computer with my 37-key MIDI controller (two items required that are a bit cumbersome) to achieve playability at my favorite hangout spots. Of course, playing through my laptop DAW and all the plugins I own gives me infinite possibilities that the single synth cannot.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddskins View Post
One of the really neat things about these 37-key synths are their portability, i.e. take it to the coffee shop or Denny's restaurant, plug into an outlet, and have a lot of fun with your ear buds or headphones on. All self-contained.

Presently, I bring my laptop computer with my 37-key MIDI controller (two items required that are a bit cumbersome) to achieve playability at my favorite hangout spots.
Yeah that's nice to think about as well as playing battery powered synths in the park but that **** happens so rare among all users.

4 octaves and this would have been the synth i'd been waiting for!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowthrough View Post

on the upside- (as someone else mentioned) the limited octaves and the metal face and knob design do indeed fool me into thinking I'll have a Synrix sitting in my studio (delusional, I know, but that's me)
Yeah, I could definitely see holding chords and evolving killer drones by turning knobs on the panel.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowthrough View Post
That's a really good description.
If one owned the Xpander and ESQ-1 (as I did) the Hydrasynth interface looks very familiar (I feel like I already know how fast it is).
The Bright silver knob caps are a lot less familiar though, quite yucky, even (re-knobbing would be a doddle though - so there there goes that complaint - right out the window)

Hoping Modal will make their metal faceplate Blue.
Thanks.

My Slim Phatty, Mini D, Voyagers, Sub-37, previously owned One and recently pre-ordered Matriarch ALL have circular stainless steel top caps on the knobs. Also the Akai MPC-X BIG KNOB. It's a solid, precise and beefy look that's worked well for Moog and others.

Although those metal caps don't wrap around the top knob edges like the HS's, but that's fine with me. They look like the BIG filter cutoff knob on the MatrixBrute - which is AWESOME. HS knobs look very solid and precise, and also have the MxB style light indicators encircling many of them.

There's some of that Akai and Arturia BIG knob heritage, courtesy Glen Darcey (I presume).

So, your yucky is my yummy.
Old 1 week ago
M32
Lives for gear

Demo's sound good, it can sound quite warm and lush. I have a feeling it's a bit tame, though.
Not one filtersweep in the demo's yet, I hope someone at knobcon has the insight to demo a simple saw patch filtersweep. That's always very telling for a filter's character.

Right now it seems like argon has the raw osc sound advantage, and hydrasynth is leading filterwise.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Argun looks like Korgs King Korg
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by M32 View Post
Demo's sound good, it can sound quite warm and lush. I have a feeling it's a bit tame, though.
Not one filtersweep in the demo's yet, I hope someone at knobcon has the insight to demo a simple saw patch filtersweep. That's always very telling for a filter's character.

Right now it seems like argon has the raw osc sound advantage, and hydrasynth is leading filterwise.
I totally see myself getting an argon + desktop hydrasynth.

Or, maybe, if Modal decides to release a desktop version of argon, I could get keyboard hydrasynth + desktop argon.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by vldslsdrkwlya View Post
The first thing that comes to mind is the layout. Hydra has a great layout and UI but it’s still about pages and menus. Argon is more like a knob per function synth.
Short reply:

The Hydra is much more knob per function than immediately apparent.

Ironically, the Argon is *less* knob per function than the Hydra.

========================================

Longer reply:

Hydra has 8 arp knobs, 5 filter knobs.
Argon has 1 arp knob, 3 filter knobs.

For everything else on the Hydra,
it's one button press,
then you get up to 8 knob per function.

But even the Argon needs one button press first for the EGs and FX
And you need SHIFT to get to all those green functions.

And look closely at the Argon's bottom row of buttons:
The MOD section -- what? let me dive some menus to find out
The ARP and SEQ section -- that's a lot of buttons, shift, and menu diving.

And all on that little OLED screen.

I realize this Argon might be just a prototype.
And I'm not slagging the Argon at all.
Just wanted to point out it's not as knob per function as you think.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

it certainly feels like parts of the 80s have come back with both of the above
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Great sound, deep synthesis, nice layout, good size for my limited space, great price. Christmas is sorted. Thank you Modal!
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by psionic11 View Post
6:20 - I turn this knob, and suddenly it sounds like a Modal! :-D
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by psionic11 View Post
Short reply:

The Hydra is much more knob per function than immediately apparent.

Ironically, the Argon is *less* knob per function than the Hydra.

========================================

Longer reply:

Hydra has 8 arp knobs, 5 filter knobs.
Argon has 1 arp knob, 3 filter knobs.

For everything else on the Hydra,
it's one button press,
then you get up to 8 knob per function.

But even the Argon needs one button press first for the EGs and FX
And you need SHIFT to get to all those green functions.

And look closely at the Argon's bottom row of buttons:
The MOD section -- what? let me dive some menus to find out
The ARP and SEQ section -- that's a lot of buttons, shift, and menu diving.

And all on that little OLED screen.

I realize this Argon might be just a prototype.
And I'm not slagging the Argon at all.
Just wanted to point out it's not as knob per function as you think.
You’re not wrong. Thanks for looking at it so closely. my hope would be for a WYSIWYG-style view of a patch as I’m constructing it. I guess neither of the two really give that.

In other news, the Prologue’s price has dropped. 8-voice is going for $999
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Knob Per Funkcion! is my new album, coming in 2023

The first track is called You're Never Gonna Get KPF (On a Wavetable Synth, Baby!)
Old 1 week ago
Another video (walkthrough):

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Ok that video just sold me, I’m in!!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Any news on the other filter models they'll be adding before release?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I ilke the argon form factor, I need something small to put above my digital piano along push and currently the system 8 is just too big for that. It also sounds good, looks good, I like the joystick, it isnt super deep but has lots of options to tweak, the sequencer is also a nice extra.
Old 1 week ago
M32
Lives for gear

The LFO frequency division mode is brilliant! I love it in modular when you do cross mod and hit a sweet spot! And I hate that it takes ages to find again. This way the mod snaps to the ratio's, and best of all, polyphonically. I'm betting that's a super musical feature.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

no one seems to be focusing on the fact it has 4 oscillators. i would have that is the main feature of this synth and sound
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac

Argon8 isn't getting much attention. Has the Hydrasynth and Behringer soaked up all the new synth enthusiasm?

I too hope Modal releases a desktop/rack version.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search