The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Modal Electronics Argon8 Wavetable Synthesizer for under $1000
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wearethe801 View Post
All that’s left to do is dump my custom presets as sysex data so I can load them on the replacement unit when it arrives.
The replacement Argon8 was delivered in three days. However, the sysex dump of custom patches I created on the old unit has turned out to be problematic, even with SysEx Librarian. Without the Modal app, I can't determine how to do it, and Sweetwater support was puzzled by it, as well. I've reopened the support ticket with Modal and hope to hear from them after the weekend.
Old 1 week ago
I think i have found a bug. When you put delay effect after reverb, the sound gets seriously distorted even when delay effect amount is set to 0. Can anyone confirm, so that I can contat Modal support about it?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

On the same topic, I never did figure this out - are the FX in series or parallel?
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by cl516 View Post
On the same topic, I never did figure this out - are the FX in series or parallel?
As far I can understand in series.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Does your modulation/pitch joystick on Argon8 turn round? I just bought it and I'm not sure if it's supposed to be like that or if it has gone loose. The silver head of the joystick is not fixed in place on mine - you can turn it right and left.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by szurcio View Post
Does your modulation/pitch joystick on Argon8 turn round? I just bought it and I'm not sure if it's supposed to be like that or if it has gone loose. The silver head of the joystick is not fixed in place on mine - you can turn it right and left.
Same here on my Argon8. This is the way it also used to be on the Modal 001, 002, 008 series. So this is nothing to worry about.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwave View Post
Same here on my Argon8. This is the way it also used to be on the Modal 001, 002, 008 series. So this is nothing to worry about.
OK, great - thank you!
Old 1 week ago
Ksp
Lives for gear

does anyone know how close Skulpt is to the sound of the Argon 8 ?
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksp View Post
does anyone know how close Skulpt is to the sound of the Argon 8 ?
Nothing like it.
Skulpt is 4 voice monophonic Virtual Analogue with 8 oscillators per voice.
Argon is 8 voice Wavetable stereo - wavetables instead of digital DSP oscillators.

Skulpt gets it fatness from having the 8 oscillators - 32 in monophonic mode - stacked.
Argon is a different type of synthesis altogether Wavetable vs Virtual Subtractive Analogue.

You can polychain 2 Skulpts to get an 8 voice Skulpt, which would be nothing like the Argon, despite having the same voice count and costing similar money.

Its nothing like the Minilogue to Prologue relationship, a Skulpt is absolutely not half an Argon in a cheap case in any way.

I've got a Skulpt (not yet an Argon though thinking of getting one soon) it doesn't even do Wavetable synthesis, which is what the Argon is all about.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

You can polychain more than 2 Skulpts - 4 gives you 16 voice poly from 128 oscillators. HUGE sounds with the spread turned up. Brilliant pad sounds.
Argon8 has a smoother feel to it ... perhaps more refined... but enormously capable too.
Listen to the sounds with your ears, not with your eyes and fingers as some "critics" seem too ...
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Returning it

Quote:
Originally Posted by wearethe801 View Post
The replacement Argon8 was delivered in three days. However, the sysex dump of custom patches I created on the old unit has turned out to be problematic, even with SysEx Librarian. Without the Modal app, I can't determine how to do it, and Sweetwater support was puzzled by it, as well. I've reopened the support ticket with Modal and hope to hear from them after the weekend.
After 20 days of back-and-forth with Modal and Sweetwater, it appears that the same problem that affected the USB card on the Argon8 also did something to MIDI out, because I'm not able to sysex my custom patches to my laptop via MIDI.

I'm returning both the defective and the replacement units to Sweetwater for credit, and will probably buy a KORG wavestate.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Wow, that makes me question the quality of the internals if such things happen on 2 units. I wish I had done more research before buying mine.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by szurcio View Post
Wow, that makes me question the quality of the internals if such things happen on 2 units. I wish I had done more research before buying mine.
To clarify - only the original unit had the USB card die after a firmware update. The replacement unit worked fine, and interfaced with the Modal app. However, after losing about 10 or 15 hours of work on custom patches on the original unit, with no way to back them up and transfer to the new unit (other than transcribing all the parameters by hand), I decided to send the new unit back, as well.
Old 5 days ago
M32
Lives for gear

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search