The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Roland JU06A
Old 5th September 2019
Lives for gear

Roland JU06A

Didn't see a thread on this yet. Looks like Roland is already doing a v2 of the Juno Boutique emulation..

https://www.engadget.com/2019/09/05/...6a-synth-juno/

looks like they're doing some new grooveboxes, too

https://www.engadget.com/2019/09/05/...-drum-machine/
Old 5th September 2019
Gear Addict

Am all for roland following this all digital approach and am confident they will eventually nail it. I love the small form factor and thought the last juno boutique did sound impressive.

But

Having said that, why on earth cripple a va synth with only 4 voices? Especially a juno ffs...i mean...i would say what a criminal missed opportunity... However this is clearly a marketing decision, to not cross over into the system 8 etc. Makes the reface cs look all the more attractive. Such a shame.
Old 5th September 2019
Lives for gear

Would the extra two voices really have killed them?

The “6” is in the name ffs. Clock input, arp, and 60 modeling are good news though.
Old 5th September 2019
Lives for gear

Hopefully they port the j-60 update over to the system 8.
Old 5th September 2019
4 voices
Old 5th September 2019
Gear Addict

The arp is very welcome. Did they give it a proper audio output?
Old 5th September 2019
Lives for gear

There goes the resell value for my JU-06 lol
Old 5th September 2019
Gear Nut

4 voices?
This is a bad joke.
Old 5th September 2019
Lives for gear

4 and mono sequencer area bit of a bummer but otherwise nice iteration.

More voices would require optimisation, I was hoping for that, or a beefier chip inside, not sure that would fit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtFluids View Post
My thinking too. The thing with the earlier Boutiques is that they were limited edition, so when JU-06 flew off the shelves and started going up in value, Roland probably realised they should make more of those...
Old 5th September 2019
Gear Head
I wonder if this new version sounds even more authentic than the previous JU-06 (or the roland cloud plugin and system 8 plug-out)?
Old 5th September 2019
Gear Head

Like everybody else.. 4 voices?! Why?
And a monophonic sequencer, while the (originally) monophonic SH-101 boutique have a polyphonic one. Weird decisions. And a pass from me.
Old 5th September 2019
Lives for gear

Anyone know if the USB outputs @ 96KHz like the rest of the 2nd generation Boutique line? Roland spec doesn't say. Hope it's not @ 48. Sh-01a sounds lovely @ 96....

The SH-01a works quite will in the Boutique format, so happy to see this available. Not happy w/ the mono sequencer and 4 voices, but I love the sound and format and other additions, so it will likely end up on the Jam table @ some point, pared w/ a Keystep.
Old 5th September 2019
Gear Nut
I would have bought it if it was 6 voices. Is that a limitation of their modelling tech?
Old 5th September 2019
Lives for gear

Must be. Is the "reissue of the reissue" any different from the original?

Edit: oh wait it has a Juno 60/Juno 106 switch. Two synths in one! Er…..

Last edited by realtrance; 5th September 2019 at 05:38 PM..
Old 5th September 2019
Gear Maniac
Mono sequencer???? So the sh01a which is supposed to be a monosynth got poly sequencer and this one not?? Why the hell roland???
Old 5th September 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbelt Jones View Post
Anyone know if the USB outputs @ 96KHz like the rest of the 2nd generation Boutique line? Roland spec doesn't say. Hope it's not @ 48. Sh-01a sounds lovely @ 96....

The SH-01a works quite will in the Boutique format, so happy to see this available. Not happy w/ the mono sequencer and 4 voices, but I love the sound and format and other additions, so it will likely end up on the Jam table @ some point, pared w/ a Keystep.
In the description for the SonicState video on Youtube it says, "...This is using the ACB (Analog Circuit Behaviour) tech at 48kHz like the other Boutiques."

I wonder if they're using the first gen boutique chips in this? Aside from the limitation in sound quality, those chips weren't powerful enough to prevent midi lag. No thanks. It seems like this whole new product line-up took extreme measures not to step on the System-8's toes in terms of overlapping features.
Old 5th September 2019
Lives for gear

Old 5th September 2019
Lives for gear

The four voices thing is extremely dumb. All the same I'm much more interested in this than I was another 106. Pretty much a certain purchase.

Edit: less and less certain about it the more I read and hear. Roland sure know how to take the wind out of my sales every time I think they’ve done something exciting.

Last edited by dublave; 5th September 2019 at 06:51 PM..
Old 5th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by geir View Post
And a monophonic sequencer, while the (originally) monophonic SH-101 boutique have a polyphonic one. Weird decisions.
Just noticed that. Wtf???

Wouldn't be modern day Roland if there weren't some absolutely senseless, thoroughly idiotic limitations.

Is the arpeggiator mono as well?
Old 5th September 2019
Gear Head
at first my interest was vaguely stoked by the inclusion of a Juno 60 mode, but then i watched the loopop juno 60 vs ju06A comparison vid and was immediately unimpressed.

in 60 mode, the oscillators have this almost aliasing-phase sound added to them that’s rather unpleasant (and not characteristic of the OG juno 60.) it makes me skeptical that roland did any sort of real modeling for the new 60 mods. it sounds more like they applied some sort of weird waveshaping/distortion to the sound in order to simulate the perceived ‘grit’ of the Juno 60. maybe i’m wrong, but either way it isn’t especially pleasant.

i assume the 4 voice limit must be an acb thing. allocations/limitations of processing power perhaps. there’s too many good alternatives for this unit to see a price hike, especially with so many other interesting synths on the horizon.

Last edited by quickrick; 5th September 2019 at 06:15 PM.. Reason: typooo
Old 5th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickrick View Post
in 60 mode, the oscillators have this almost aliasing-phase sound added to them that’s rather unpleasant (and not characteristic of the OG juno 60.)
I heard that too. Very unpleasant and not at all subtle. Why, Roland, why? It’s like they’re actively trying to punish those of us who believe their best equipment came out decades ago. “Here’s the thing you’ve been asking us for, except now it’s digital, and severely limited, oh and actually it barely even sounds like the original thing. Muahahaha.”

Moves like this make me feel less bad about Behringer cloning anything Roland.
Old 5th September 2019
Lives for gear
Great music can still be made with this but ill stick with my tal-uno. This doesnt really sound as rich as a real one and the 4 voices part ruins it for me.
Old 5th September 2019
Lives for gear
I’m asking myself “is there enough of a difference between this and the SH-01a?”
Old 5th September 2019
Gear Nut

Another bad move from Roland.
Uli - Go ahead!
Old 5th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Reynolds View Post
I’m asking myself “is there enough of a difference between this and the SH-01a?”
The first thing that came to mind when I saw this announcement was "well I'll definitely be selling my sh01a now." Not so sure about that as more details become clear.
Old 5th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
they are different synths though. the 6 and 106. dunno... i like the ju-06, but I liked the jx-3p probably the best out of the OG boutique releases... and all subjective, but made stuff unexpected for me..... i am just reading through this quick, as working, but resale on these units at price point etc I wouldn't worry about, and they have all had their thing, from the overlooked swiss army knife ability of the a01 and whatnot...

I use my boutiques that are represented in the System 8 still... but could be just me....
Old 5th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lestermagneto View Post
they are different synths though. the 6 and 106. dunno... i like the ju-06, but I liked the jx-3p probably the best out of the OG boutique releases... and all subjective, but made stuff unexpected for me..... i am just reading through this quick, as working, but resale on these units at price point etc I wouldn't worry about, and they have all had their thing, from the overlooked swiss army knife ability of the a01 and whatnot...

I use my boutiques that are represented in the System 8 still... but could be just me....
Yeah but the JU-06 was a 106 clone. This new machine is a 60 and 106 so I don't know why anybody would want the first one. None of them are a Juno 6 clone, unless I missed something.
Old 5th September 2019
Gear Maniac
Quote:
None of them are a Juno 6 clone, unless I missed something.
Access the hidden Juno 6 mode simply by not using the patch storage feature
Old 5th September 2019
Gear Addict

The JU-06 price collapse on reverb/eBay is going to be a doozy.
Old 5th September 2019
Roland Corporation Headquarters
Hamamatsu, Japan
March, 2018:

Last edited by Elsongs; 5th September 2019 at 10:31 PM..

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search