The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Roland Fantom 6- 7 -8
Old 2 weeks ago
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Wow, is this the rebirth of the phantom series? I still have a Phantom X.
Looks gorgeous.

hmm, but the sampler has only 8 voice polyphony??
Attached Thumbnails
Roland Fantom 6- 7 -8-unbenannt.jpg  
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Hmmmm. Very interesting. The keyboard workstation is not dead. This looks pretty sick. Has potential, but the devil is in the details. In particular the details of the new sequencer. That was the fatal flaw of the Fantom G, which had so much potential, but failed to execute. Very interested to learn more about the DAW and plugin integration.

Sure a looker, though!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonF View Post
Hmmmm. Very interesting. The keyboard workstation is not dead. This looks pretty sick. Has potential, but the devil is in the details. In particular the details of the new sequencer. That was the fatal flaw of the Fantom G, which had so much potential, but failed to execute. Very interested to learn more about the DAW and plugin integration.

Sure a looker, though!
what was the problem with the sequencer?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthpark View Post
Wow, is this the rebirth of the phantom series? I still have a Phantom X.
Looks gorgeous.

hmm, but the sampler has only 8 voice polyphony??
Sounds like a Roland FA repackaged more than a Fantom.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by camus2 View Post
Sounds like a Roland FA repackaged more than a Fantom.
With prices that approach the cost of the Waldorf Quantum.....
Old 2 weeks ago
afa
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by depulse View Post
With prices that approach the cost of the Waldorf Quantum.....
I hope prices go down shortly, they are way expensive to be honest.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I thought there was nothing to look at on another thread.

How wrong was I

Just saw a video of the Fantom with Scott Tibbs the best Roland presenter.

Quite impressed with the song mode, integration with Logic, sounds and v synth like spatial motion.

Add on the tr sequencer , pads and analogue filtering, touch screen and the Fantom is quite a winner.

Cheers
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

I’m really interested to see more on this new Fantom seems pretty full featured and with analog filter. Might be a winner!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

If Roland are starting to put analog filters on their workstations, and heading down that very fertile and undeveloped route, then people may have underestimated their future as a company.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I think punters have also underestimated the use and potential of workstations in general.

Scott Tibbs has just shown what can be done with the Fantom and a laptop.

The use of Logic and markers in song mode is a big bonus.

Studio in a box with 2 pieces of equipment.

Cheers
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Seems cool....but not my price range
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

That's one of my scenes being show there @1:36 - a tad surreal.

Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

This synth sounds great.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

@ VennD68 - question for you. Do you know which keybed is in the 88-key variant? If it's the same as in RD-2000, intrigueing (but not €4k intrigueing).

Also, regarding the sliders. I hope Roland didn't make the huge mistake where you can only pick a single MIDI CC and it would be set for all sliders, just over different MIDI channels/parts? This is the one huge downside of RD-2000 I cannot believe they would make such a blunder. Then again, Roland did have a fair share of blunders...

We should be able to freely decide which MIDI CC should be assigned to which individual slider, and over which MIDI channel it should send. That's how a proper MIDI controller is supposed to work, and not that half-assedness that Roland put in RD-2000 (which would be really splendid otherwise, but coming from Kurzweil which has THE BEST MIDI controller implementation in the universe, it's like going from U.S.S. Enterprise to a donkey).

Also... 256 scenes. Why is Roland refusing to give us more user memory for storing patches/scenes/whatever? This is 2019... Kronos can store thousands of user patches and all factory programs are OVERWRITEABLE. Really baffling.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by VennD68 View Post
That's one of my scenes being show there @1:36 - a tad surreal.

Fabulous sound you created! Any others that are yours?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelloJP View Post
Fabulous sound you created! Any others that are yours?
Not there - the first two on the Scott Tibbs (no talking) that he flits between are mine.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
@ VennD68 - question for you. Do you know which keybed is in the 88-key variant? If it's the same as in RD-2000, intrigueing.

Also, regarding the sliders. I hope Roland didn't make the huge mistake where you can only pick a single MIDI CC and it would be set for all sliders, just over different MIDI channels/parts? This is the one huge downside of RD-2000 I cannot believe they would make such a blunder. Then again, Roland did have a fair share of blunders...

We should be able to freely decide which MIDI CC should be assigned to which individual slider, and over which MIDI channel it should send. That's how a proper MIDI controller is supposed to work, and not that half-assedness that Roland put in RD-2000 (which would be really splendid otherwise, but coming from Kurzweil which has THE BEST MIDI controller implementation in the universe, it's like going from U.S.S. Enterprise to a donkey).
The CC slider control is pretty extensive - remember I had a an early prototype (like very early with many features not implemented) can be set for internal, external and assigned to parameters in Mainstage etc too. But all sliders and knobs can have their own independent configuration across the board for scenes.
No idea on the keybed variant but it plays really well and feels amazing of and it is built like a tank. They didn't cheap out on build quality with this.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Which one did you have - 6, 7 or 8?

Also can you maybe whisper into Roland's ear to make a firmware update for RD-2000 that would enable individual MIDI CC assignments per slider and knob on it (like it apparently is on these new Fantoms, as you say)? I would so buy it if that happened, without it - no deal.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
@ VennD68 - question for you. Do you know which keybed is in the 88-key variant? If it's the same as in RD-2000, intrigueing (but not €4k intrigueing).

Also... 256 scenes. Why is Roland refusing to give us more user memory for storing patches/scenes/whatever? This is 2019... Kronos can store thousands of user patches and all factory programs are OVERWRITEABLE. Really baffling.
Concur, but not 10 000 patches!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Why not, memory is cheap these days? As long as there are clever ways of filtering through all those patches, like via tags, author, bank, custom comments etc., it's good.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Because i dont have the time to wade through 3423 different pianos, whatever!

If 10k patches is OK then why stop there? 1Million patches are equally good, no musicians should be punished and get only 10 patches!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

For sure I agree, memory is cheap, it can be any high number. But pedestrian limits like 128 or 256 are just rtarded in this day and age.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Which one did you have - 6, 7 or 8?

Also can you maybe whisper into Roland's ear to make a firmware update for RD-2000 that would enable individual MIDI CC assignments per slider and knob on it (like it apparently is on these new Fantoms, as you say)? I would so buy it if that happened, without it - no deal.
Early prototype of the 8.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Got it, chief!

If you had an experience with RD-2000, can you compare the feel and response of the keybed? Or if you didn't have an experience with it, maybe you should have one
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

It’s funny...10 years ago this would have been the biggest hottest thread on GS. The latest keyboard workstation!!! That was the business! Today...barely making one page of posts in 24 hours after release. My how times have changed!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthpark View Post
what was the problem with the sequencer?
All kinds of little details that hobbled an otherwise brilliant U.I. See if you can find the old RolandClan archive for the Fantom G to read all about its frustrations.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Yay, good ole Tibbsy is back!! (actually...he really is a good demonstrator and one that can actually play something beyond the basic triads and a blues scale...)

I'm sure it sounds great too but I'm -loving- the fact that there is a proper - albeit modernized - sequencer and the different approaches for it. The way Yamaha dropped it completely from the MONTAGE was a huge mistake on their part IMO.

The Logic integration is very impressive. Even the USB thing seems very handy and contemporary for those USB-power-only Boutique style boxes you see nowadays.

However, the 8 model is $/€4000
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Yeah, the pricing on this generation is..... kthxbye.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

At work so I can’t watch videos. How many analog filters? 2 for one stereo pair?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search