The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Roland Fantom 6- 7 -8
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

What about the rompler side of things , still a SNA engine , or an improved one ?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentleclockdivid View Post
What about the rompler side of things , still a SNA engine , or an improved one ?
Nothing remotely like an SN-S Engine.
Massively improved by a long shot.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

The reason I bought a Roland FA series is because I worked witha singer who had a Fantom G. Not saying I won't get a Fantom one day.
Old 1 week ago
mp3
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZT Scheer View Post
That's a difficult point of comparison to use, as the modeled V-Piano would ordinarily be something that might take up 2GB of ROM or more all by itself on another workstation. Consider that the Grand Piano on the Kronos is multiple GBs all by itself.

I would not be surprised if the actual onboard ROM is no more than about 512-768MB. That would account for a large compliment of XV5080-series PCM material. Everything else is VA modeling ... which does not take a lot of ROM storage. Roland has hinted at updates which will install new engines (a EP engine model was mentioned), but it's not certain if these are all modeling engines or if they left room for more PCM samples.

I'm just making educated guesses, of course.
I agree it’s not apples to apples, given Roland’s supernatural technology and how it can make smaller sample sets sound larger than they are. As well as their piano-modeling and VA engines, as you mention. So yeah I would agree it’s probably somewhere slightly north of the Integra’s 384mb of SN samples (and ~768mb of SRX samples).

But I would still hope they’d had some new sampling sessions to add to what was in the Integra and JP80. I haven’t reviewed their marketing materials, have they mentioned anything at all concerning the sample ROM?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VennD68 View Post
How so?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

I'm pretty sure Roland will never upgrade their ROM sample set. They've been riding the same one for decades now.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by realtrance View Post
I really do think the new Fantoms are the winners in this round of Roland releases (possibly also the MC-707, we'll see how well that is embraced). The test for GS will be whether the sequencer passes muster, or not, as RonF has mentioned.
I think the MC-707 will be a lot more popular when they're selling for ~$700. It's a nice groovebox, but pricing it near MPC Live territory doesn't make much sense. I can already see the TR8s showing up on craigslist after this announcement. It looks like fun, but I don't know that it justifies a $1000 price tag.

Then again, I remember when the MC-505 sold for $1299 -- in 1998 dollars, no less -- and people were glad to pay it. It's all a matter of where the field is technologically. Back in the day, Roland was the only major player, but now NI, Akai and Elektron are entrenched.

I actually hope Roland will someday produce an MC-990 -- a step up from the MC-707, and a true inheritor of the MC-909 legacy. Price it around $1800. Large touch screen, sampler, multiple synth engines (a juno and/or jupiter ACB engine and maybe an analog monosynth a la JDXi but with full ADSR envelopes, etc.).

Roland has a lot of interesting technology that is presently far flung. Eventually they integrate their previous offerings and it's really something great, e.g. the Integra 7.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxwes View Post
In the Anderton's video, the Roland guy says the 88 key has the PHA50 so same as the RD-2000.
But.... is it triple sensor (like in RD-2000) or not?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I fear the sampler is the same as found on the FA series. I.e. limited to triggering one shots and loops from the drum pads and limited to one sequencer track. Hope I'm wrong!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mans View Post
I fear the sampler is the same as found on the FA series. I.e. limited to triggering one shots and loops from the drum pads and limited to one sequencer track. Hope I'm wrong!
It seems like it. 8 voice polyphony probably means 4 stereo voices. That's unacceptable at this price, imo.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

The prices are ridiculously high for starters.

256 voices of polyphony.. great.

It's got VA modelling... ok.
Not better than ACB but a bit less detailed to increase polyphony. Then I prefer ACB which is real analog modeling while this is an enhanced version of supernatural VA it seems.
Damn shame no analog filters were used.

It's got v piano modeling... great.

Then PCM here seems to be supernatural sounds with XV sounds combined like the Integra. Nothing new here.

No CX organ modeling nor EP modeling. So supernatural sounds cover these.

Damn shame no V drum modeling either. So drums are just v drum and pcm samples ... nothing new.

Cool idea of scenes. Finally done with all the separate modes!... great.

No audio tracks but intuitive clip based track recording in the sequencer - 16 of these - being all midi based driving internal sounds or your imported samples, or external midi gear, or both is rather nice and quick in a workstation. And you can hook up extra midi controllers via usb... nice.
But why not 128 midi tracks?? Dunno how fast grid or event editing is but it should be as good as the Akai MPC series.

How much RAM or flash memory in there I dunno yet but nothing remarkable me thinks.

Pass.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perplexo View Post
It seems like it. 8 voice polyphony probably means 4 stereo voices. That's unacceptable at this price, imo.
I am not sure you understand how difficult it would be to implement a full fledged sampler. The team would have to browse a lot of dusty 20 year old internal documents to get all the relevent information.
Old 1 week ago
I think the new Fantom workstations are impressive as hell—best-in-class. Bravo, Roland!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by VennD68 View Post
I was reffering to the sna ( acoustic ) , I know the paino is phys. modelled .

Would love to see a fantom rack ( updated integra )
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Wave View Post
I think the MC-707 will be a lot more popular when they're selling for ~$700. It's a nice groovebox, but pricing it near MPC Live territory doesn't make much sense. I can already see the TR8s showing up on craigslist after this announcement. It looks like fun, but I don't know that it justifies a $1000 price tag.

Then again, I remember when the MC-505 sold for $1299 -- in 1998 dollars, no less -- and people were glad to pay it. It's all a matter of where the field is technologically. Back in the day, Roland was the only major player, but now NI, Akai and Elektron are entrenched.

I actually hope Roland will someday produce an MC-990 -- a step up from the MC-707, and a true inheritor of the MC-909 legacy. Price it around $1800. Large touch screen, sampler, multiple synth engines (a juno and/or jupiter ACB engine and maybe an analog monosynth a la JDXi but with full ADSR envelopes, etc.).

Roland has a lot of interesting technology that is presently far flung. Eventually they integrate their previous offerings and it's really something great, e.g. the Integra 7.
Yes, I watched Dave Ahlund’s demo for Sonicstate of the MC-707 yesterday, and my first thought was, man this is a far more flexible and creativity-inspiring groovebox than any of the previous MicroComposer series have been; which is actually saying quite a lot.

Just the ease of sampling and real-time track/phrase editing alone is a major design leap. The MC-909, great as it is, feels much more constrained than this design, and the MC-707’s adoption of the TR-8S interpretation of classic TR design is a major coup.

If it is recognized for what it is, I can see real, prolonged success for this design. It is clearly not throwaway.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthpark View Post
I am not sure you understand how difficult it would be to implement a full fledged sampler. The team would have to browse a lot of dusty 20 year old internal documents to get all the relevent information.
Well, they added the ability to multi-sample across the keys on the Juno DS series after it had been released. Sadly they never added that feature to the FA series. I find it hard to believe that they would not at least include the DS sampling ability on the new Fantom. That's a big WTF for me right now.

It's the one feature that's kept me from picking up an FA-07. It pretty much has everything I'd need for a versatile "all-in-one" except for the multi-sampling.

Here's to hoping they add it later. The older Fantom line from a few years ago wasn't initially released with sampling either. It was added later.

Give us all the beans Roland. You're so close with this one!
Old 1 week ago
mp3
Lives for gear

They expect you to bring your own sampler to the party. That's why they're advertising Logic/Mainstage compatibility haha.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by studio460 View Post
I think the new Fantom workstations are impressive as hell—best-in-class. Bravo, Roland!
Yep, I agree. Looks like a future addition to my rig.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I own Roland Aira gears (TR8, MX1, TB03).

I slept late just to check out the Fantom 6. You know I've always wanted a groovebox workstation like the Motif XF? or XS? lol

I like the idea of doing everything on the keyboard.. You know I remember the Roland JX305 which was thee MC505 on keyboards.. You really can do everything in that.

This new Fantom looks bad arse.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentleclockdivid View Post
I was reffering to the sna ( acoustic ) , I know the paino is phys. modelled .

Would love to see a fantom rack ( updated integra )
Thank you for kindly reminding why of why I need to wear my glasses when on the computer. <--- Me facepalming myself.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

To my surprise they are already in the shop, Justmusic Berlin. The keybed of the 8 is fine, but the keybed of the smaller one (6 or 7) makes way too much noise while playing. That's ok on stage, but not in the studio.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp3 View Post
... But I would still hope they’d had some new sampling sessions to add to what was in the Integra and JP80. I haven’t reviewed their marketing materials, have they mentioned anything at all concerning the sample ROM? ...
It's been implied that "updates" will occur to add more engines (specifically EP) as well as "other material". That strongly implies more wave ROM stuff to me, but who knows?

Nobody knows yet how much of the XV-series wave ROM is included in the new Fantoms. If Roland is smart, they should included everything that was ever available. It would be like having all of the current FA-series SRX downloads included from day on. After all, this is a high-dollar "flagship".
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthpark View Post
To my surprise they are already in the shop, Justmusic Berlin. The keybed of the 8 is fine, but the keybed of the smaller one (6 or 7) makes way too much noise while playing. That's ok on stage, but not in the studio.
Thanks for letting me know. I'll be in Berlin next week, maybe I get to try the keybed and see if it has triple sensor or not.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I would assume with 4,000 patches onboard that it probably includes at least the full Integra 7 suite, including all SRX? Would be a shame if they cut any of that out, especially at the launch price points.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Both Guitar Center and Sweetwater have them in stock.

GAS got the best of me. My Fantom-7 will arrive next week.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Thanks for letting me know. I'll be in Berlin next week, maybe I get to try the keybed and see if it has triple sensor or not.
The Fantom-8 does have the triple-sensor keybed .. confirmed.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Both Guitar Center and Sweetwater have them in stock.

GAS got the best of me. My Fantom-7 will arrive next week.
Congrats! Let us know what you think, in detail.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
The Fantom-8 does have the triple-sensor keybed .. confirmed.
WITH aftertouch? That would be quite rare.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
WITH aftertouch? That would be quite rare.
It's in the ad copy everywhere ... cut-n-paste from Roland:

"88-note, aftertouch-sensitive, PHA-50 progressive hammer-action keybed with escapement"

It is rare, and friggn' cool if you ask me.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Yeah only a couple of Studiologic's boards have that IIRC.

This is brilliant. But not 4000€ brilliant. I wish they'd do that in a lower cost board (PHA-50 with AT, and PROPER MIDI controller assignment, not the asshattery they did on RD-2000...)
Old 1 week ago
mp3
Lives for gear

Quote:
It's been implied that "updates" will occur to add more engines (specifically EP) as well as "other material". That strongly implies more wave ROM stuff to me, but who knows?

Nobody knows yet how much of the XV-series wave ROM is included in the new Fantoms. If Roland is smart, they should included everything that was ever available. It would be like having all of the current FA-series SRX downloads included from day on. After all, this is a high-dollar "flagship".
I'm good without the XV/SRX samples haha. To paraphrase Jay-Z, if I wanted those old ROM samples I'd buy those old ROMplers. I have about zero desire to rebuy those samples for, what would be for me, the fourth time now. I mean I guess its okay or whatever if they're in there, but I wouldn't be okay if Roland is leaning on them for a large portion of this workstation's acoustic and electromechanical instrument soundset.

I want newer, better samples, especially for that price. Granted again the Fantom is a more than just a ROMpler, but still, if most of the samples in the box are 15-25 years old (as it is with the Integra), that would put me off the sticker price a bit.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search