The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Roland Fantom 6- 7 -8
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthpark View Post
hmm, but the sampler has only 8 voice polyphony??
This is extremely frustrating to me. I've got a Fantom G and it's the centerpiece of my studio because its sampling capabilities are so extensive. It looks like they are doing what they did with the FA's where the sampling section is really just one of their SP samplers tacked on as an afterthought. Why samplists are still being screwed all these years later is beyond me. I guess if I want to upgrade my Fantom, I'll be looking at Korg.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
This is extremely frustrating to me. I've got a Fantom G and it's the centerpiece of my studio because its sampling capabilities are so extensive. It looks like they are doing what they did with the FA's where the sampling section is really just one of their SP samplers tacked on as an afterthought. Why samplists are still being screwed all these years later is beyond me. I guess if I want to upgrade my Fantom, I'll be looking at Korg.

NB: I'm not really the target market for this but here's a few thoughts:
You'll find a lot of people these days use Kontakt libraries (particularly bigger studios and professional gigging musicians).
Marrying the unit with Logic Control & Mainstage Integration plays into that bias and allows for massively complex giga libraries with advanced scripting and what not.
I can see their thought process here even if i don't personally agree with it.
I would have loved a more advanced V-Synth GT engine in there for creative sampling duties myself.
Along with the new Synth Engine, Modelled Piano, Analog Filter Processing and the internal busing structure it would have been a great multi-engine touch that was a little left field and unexpected.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

This sounds amazing with a huge sound. I find it much more musically attractive for my studio than the Jupiter X.
I can also see where this will be a big winner with touring musicians and live performance.

This puts it in Kronos 2 territory(which I have) and I think Roland has a true winner here....except that price. Hopefully the dealers will knock a couple hundred off like they do with the Kronos 2.

Roland Fantom 2019 Congrats Roland.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I really do think the new Fantoms are the winners in this round of Roland releases (possibly also the MC-707, we'll see how well that is embraced). The test for GS will be whether the sequencer passes muster, or not, as RonF has mentioned.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Looks like just the one.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Okay this is just outright awesome:

Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by VennD68 View Post
NB: I'm not really the target market for this but here's a few thoughts:
You'll find a lot of people these days use Kontakt libraries (particularly bigger studios and professional gigging musicians).
Marrying the unit with Logic Control & Mainstage Integration plays into that bias and allows for massively complex giga libraries with advanced scripting and what not.
That's a reasonable speculation
There are indeed more pro musos going the laptop route
But I think they're also going for the lightweight gig board too
(Nord and Casio stage pianos, B3 clones, MODX, Yahama CP)
The Fantom 88 and 76 key are heavy!
And try fitting that 88 key in a case in a car or even SUV...

Maybe Roland will later release a lighter, cheaper MODX competitor
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonF View Post
It’s funny...10 years ago this would have been the biggest hottest thread on GS. The latest keyboard workstation!!! That was the business! Today...barely making one page of posts in 24 hours after release. My how times have changed!
I just bought the closest thing I've had to a workstation since the korg M3 in the modx. Was NOT interested in dropping 3k, or even 2k for a used in a kronos or montage, but the modx is great. It's going to be all over an EP I'm producing for someone right now, and I just got it.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
And this is of zero importance to everyone not using a Mac and/or Logic/Mainstage. This is not an insignificant number of people.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by realtrance View Post
Okay this is just outright awesome:

So yes, that's very cool! Ableton-lite in a box. HOWEVER....nothing shown in that vid about AUDIO recording. That was strictly midi. And as a I recall, as a former Fantom G owner and supporter, its audio recording features were a big part of its limitations. It didn't handle audio in the same manner that it handled midi, especially when it came to looping bars, or fixed bar recording. IF the new Fantom handles audio the same way we just saw in this video it does midi....then this can be truly be epic! Truly Ableton-lite.

The other concern I have is about the piano-roll editing. They didn't show that in this video. This was strictly the "session view". Fantom G had some frustrating workflow quirks in its editing pages that really hobbled a swift workflow. So, again, we'll see.

But for now.....this is looking promising for sure...with reservations for the unknown aspects!

Whats the "thing" about a workstation if its not to compose on one!?! Otherwise...WHY get a "workstation"? So the on board sequencer really is important. I'm not expecting a full DAW experience....but the fundamentals need to be well thought out. With all of this integration with Logic and MainStage here....I'm just hoping that Roland didn't go soft on the internal sequencer...relying more on the DAW....which is ultimately what Yamaha did with the Montage series....a shame (arguably the death of the "workstation" IMO).

PS...I concur it should have full multisampling capabilities, and that too is an already known hit on the "workstation" functionality in this incarnation of the Fantom.

Last edited by RonF; 2 weeks ago at 09:32 PM..
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

The sequencing on this looks really sharp, definitely a solid modern take on what a workstation should offer. I’m also looking for more information on the analog filtering. What topologies? How many channels? And how are they integrated with the rest of the synthesis engine?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

How many effects per part?
I can't believe the sampler is so crippled. When seeing that, I thought this was a replacement for the FA series.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Knowing Roland, it's one insert FX per part and then scene FX.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Hmm, I think 1 insert is too skimpy.
What are "scene" effects?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Gaia View Post
The sequencing on this looks really sharp, definitely a solid modern take on what a workstation should offer. ...
It's damned near perfect, IMHO. The ability to combine pattern/song, linear and clip/track launching ... very intuitively ... wow. I was about to buy an Akai Force, and now I really have to rethink that proposition.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

i have been waiting for some time for a real worthwhile alternative to my Fantom G..

but if this integrates with MAC only then i am 100% passing..

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickknack View Post
I thought there was nothing to look at on another thread.

How wrong was I

Just saw a video of the Fantom with Scott Tibbs the best Roland presenter.

Quite impressed with the song mode, integration with Logic, sounds and v synth like spatial motion.

Add on the tr sequencer , pads and analogue filtering, touch screen and the Fantom is quite a winner.

Cheers
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Ha, tough crowd.

Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well the money line for me was something to the effect (lol) of "You dont have to worry about how many effects you are using" ... so it seems they've done something pretty clever w/ FX ... maybe a dynamic allocation with lots of underlying horsepower.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perplexo View Post
Overall FX for all parts.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
And this is of zero importance to everyone not using a Mac and/or Logic/Mainstage. This is not an insignificant number of people.
I'd imagine making the feature cross spectrum and for other DAW's makes sense. Ableton Live being the first obvious choice I'd imagine.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic38 View Post
i have been waiting for some time for a real worthwhile alternative to my Fantom G..

but if this integrates with MAC only then i am 100% passing..
It clearly will have USB, Audio and Midi Drivers for both platforms.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'd imagine making the feature cross spectrum and for other DAW's makes sense. Ableton Live being the first obvious choice I'd imagine.
The feature is described as DAW Integration rather than just Logic Integration so I also assume we’ll see a few other options covered eventually. Likewise with software synth integration which is another in the lengthy list of features, but currently lists only Logic, GarageBand, and Mainstage.

There’s a skimpy 24-page manual available for those who are curious. It does offer some details, like the five analog filter configurations available (three LPF options, HPF, and bandpass - plus drive for all of the above) but it’s still sketchy when it comes to details like routing options (post-FX only?)
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Gaia View Post
The feature is described as DAW Integration rather than just Logic Integration so I also assume we’ll see a few other options covered eventually. Likewise with software synth integration which is another in the lengthy list of features, but currently lists only Logic, GarageBand, and Mainstage.
Yamaha of course tightly integrates with Cubase (since they own Steinberg) and have slowly moved away from the original Motif DAW control concept which supported a range of DAWs equally. So it's a smart move for Roland to turn to Apple first. Mainstage is of course a great choice for live performance, but the idea of sequencing Mainstage inside a Fantom "scene" (multi) is a slick idea.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by enossified View Post
but the idea of sequencing Mainstage inside a Fantom "scene" (multi) is a slick idea.
Agreed!
Old 2 weeks ago
mp3
Lives for gear

How big is the ROM sample library?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp3 View Post
How big is the ROM sample library?
That's a difficult point of comparison to use, as the modeled V-Piano would ordinarily be something that might take up 2GB of ROM or more all by itself on another workstation. Consider that the Grand Piano on the Kronos is multiple GBs all by itself.

I would not be surprised if the actual onboard ROM is no more than about 512-768MB. That would account for a large compliment of XV5080-series PCM material. Everything else is VA modeling ... which does not take a lot of ROM storage. Roland has hinted at updates which will install new engines (a EP engine model was mentioned), but it's not certain if these are all modeling engines or if they left room for more PCM samples.

I'm just making educated guesses, of course.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perplexo View Post
looks like it's 2x insert effects, plus reverb and chorus for each of the 16 parts, according to https://static.roland.com/assets/med..._8_eng02_W.pdf
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Is anyone able to figure out what the story with the synth engine is? Is it all new?

This mini-manual seems to suggest the main synth engine is very different than their (powerful) ROMpler synth engines (e.g. XV-5080).
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

In the Anderton's video, the Roland guy says the 88 key has the PHA50 so same as the RD-2000.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
Any video showing sequencing external gear?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search