The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Roland Fantom 6- 7 -8
Old 17th November 2020 | Show parent
Gear Head

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 72b6a74 View Post
Future ABM for Fantom confirmed by Gatobus, nice.
So, is this a dead horse yet, or still being discussed / debated? Is there consensus that this will likely be the big Fantom update for NAMM 2021?
Deleted 124c098
Bug Fixes - Version 2.01

Quote:
FANTOM-6/FANTOM-7/FANTOM-8 System Program ( Ver.2.01 )
HOW TO KNOW THE VERSION
Before you start, check the system program version of your FANTOM-6 / FANTOM-7 / FANTOM-8.

Press [ MENU ] to invoke the MENU screen.
Touch < SYSTEM >.
Turn the [ E1 ] FUNCTION knob to select INFO.
The display changes to the INFO screen and the version information is shown.

* If this shows the latest version, there's no need to update your FANTOM-6 / FANTOM-7 / FANTOM-8.
UPDATE HISTORY
[ Ver.2.01 ] NOV 2020
[ Bug Fixes ]
The following bugs were fixed.

When an SMF is imported into PATTERN, some MIDI messages are not read in correctly.
System lockup sometimes occurs in performances when the level is changed frequently using the slider during realtime recording (Real Time REC).
When no EXZ title or user sample has been used in the past, importing a sample results in an error.
"Partial Phrase Lock" parameter is not displayed.
https://www.roland.com/uk/support/by...-5c2c40fe8806/
Old 17th November 2020
Deleted d22f2ee
I hope Roland Sort out the Multi sample import side of this so we can actually import Sf2 files without all the bull****e of half arsed loop points and the other bugs in the conversion process.

Maybe Chicken systems can step in and do a decent converter .

Last edited by Deleted d22f2ee; 17th November 2020 at 03:48 PM..
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by spottingjonah View Post
So, is this a dead horse yet, or still being discussed / debated? Is there consensus that this will likely be the big Fantom update for NAMM 2021?
It was barely mentioned about 3 weeks ago, and you're already asking if it's a dead horse?
Old 18th November 2020
Gear Maniac

Well I figured that the ABM models would have been rolled out for free to Fantom owners this week, since I sold my Fantom7 and bought a Jupiter X and Zenology Pro.

Loved the sound of the Fantom, but Zenlogy Pro sounds great too and is perfect for my DAW-centric workflow, and the Jupiter X works better for my 1980s brain (and sounds WONDERFUL).
Old 18th November 2020 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppgwave View Post
Well I figured that the ABM models would have been rolled out for free to Fantom owners this week, since I sold my Fantom7 and bought a Jupiter X and Zenology Pro.

Loved the sound of the Fantom, but Zenlogy Pro sounds great too and is perfect for my DAW-centric workflow, and the Jupiter X works better for my 1980s brain (and sounds WONDERFUL).
December would be the next month of updates by my count of the schedule.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien23 View Post
December would be the next month of updates by my count of the schedule.
It seems that major updates have been released about every 3 months. IF that pattern holds true, there should be an update in January, and again in April.

If we don't see an ABM model (or two) appear for the Fantom by April, I'd say it's time then to start considering the possibility that they aren't happening. Alternatively, Roland is on a really loooooooong-roadmap for ABM-on-Fantom.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZT Scheer View Post
It seems that major updates have been released about every 3 months. IF that pattern holds true, there should be an update in January, and again in April.

If we don't see an ABM model (or two) appear for the Fantom by April, I'd say it's time then to start considering the possibility that they aren't happening. Alternatively, Roland is on a really loooooooong-roadmap for ABM-on-Fantom.
I though major updates were 4 monthly. Weve had 3 so far as I know - in a year. One n 4 moths, one on 8 and one on 12. that makes the next due Jan.
Old 18th November 2020
Lives for gear

I think we're lucky to be debating when the next update is coming, and not if!
Old 24th November 2020
Hi Everyone,

Really GASsing for the Fantom but b4 I pull the trigger I'd like to collect all up2date info about it. After googling a lot & lurking here, there & everywhere (Roland Clan, VI-Control, you name it) I've found this thread which seems to be the right place so I'd like to read your thoughts.

1. How long do you think the Fantom's gonna be supported/updated (talking about years from now)?

2. As a composer I need to have access to all the SRX boards. As EXZ expansions, are they all included now (missing zero original patches!), or not yet but will be, or won't ever be? If not I'll need to keep the XV5080 & the Integra-7.

3. Talking about the almost 18y old V-Synth, should I keep my GT or would it be redundant so better sell it and invest it into the Fantom?

4. The Fantom has no poly aftertouch but the MIDI Implementation Chart states it recognizes key pressure. Has anyone of you played it using an external pAT-keyboard (Kurzweil MIDIBoard, GEM S2/3, Ensoniq ASR-10/TS-10 etc.) to see how it works?

5. Mostly sold by those 6 turquoise knobs under the touchscreen because, when tweaking, I can see parameter changes on the screen. No feature like this on the Montage (AFAIK) & I think only the Komplete Kontrol does something like this (with 2 extra knobs though). Since I wanna use the Fantom as a DAW controller too (Logic / Pro Tools here), I need seamless integration & I also need to know if I can use those knobs in a similar way to see parameter changes in my soft synths / orchestral samples.

Any suggestion is deeply appreciated & thank y'all in advance!
Old 24th November 2020
Lives for gear

I don't think most of your questions can be answered, because they are asking for concrete answers to speculative questions. But I'll try.

1. A long time. 3-5 years minimum is my guess, probably longer.

2. Keep the Integra, they are not all included yet.

3. No idea.

4. No idea.

5. Logic integration is a major selling point for the Fantom line. It should be as tight as possible. I don't know about other DAWs. I don't have mine yet so I also can't answer your knob question.
Old 26th November 2020 | Show parent
Yeah, I suspected the I7 (still) is a keeper. Thank you for taking your time!
Old 26th November 2020
Lives for gear

I took delivery of my Fantom 7 today! I can't believe FedEx delivered it on Thanksgiving.
Old 27th November 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Pretty amazing freebie for Fantom owners (or other recent Roland hardware) until Jan 31: https://lp.roland.com/zencore-fully-loaded

(Thanks to A/Scott for finding this)
Old 27th November 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
OTOH, some crazy pricing here:
http://forums.rolandclan.com/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=58653
Old 27th November 2020 | Show parent
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleer View Post
Pretty amazing freebie for Fantom owners (or other recent Roland hardware) until Jan 31: https://lp.roland.com/zencore-fully-loaded

Thanks for sharing!
Here for the gear

"1. How long do you think the Fantom's gonna be supported/updated (talking about years from now)?"

The last fantom wordstation was abondoned very quickly after only 2 years from relese if that's any indication.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrucemtl View Post
... The last fantom wordstation was abondoned very quickly after only 2 years from relese if that's any indication.
What features were missing?
Here for the gear

Quote:

I'm still seeing the usual "token" fee charge for a lifetime-key for any of the SDZ packs I have not already purchased.

Or I can click on the "Join" button & pay to sign up to Zenology etc.

Nothing seems free for me?
Old 28th November 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tankdave View Post
I'm still seeing the usual "token" fee charge for a lifetime-key for any of the SDZ packs I have not already purchased.

Or I can click on the "Join" button & pay to sign up to Zenology etc.

Nothing seems free for me?
If you registered while Roland Cloud is running, you need to completely close out Roland Cloud and restart it to see your membership level change. Same thing happened to me but once I restarted I have access to all of it.
Old 28th November 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Sweet indeed.
But it’s a once per customer thing.
So now I’m wondering if an RD-88 registration will also provide me with “Lifetime Keys” for the Fantom.
Or should I register the Fantom under a different name to get the (same) 49 sound packs, dedicated to the Fantom?
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:

This is a really generous offer from Roland - pertaining to people even if you bought your gear earlier. I mean here we are wanting ABM models for the Fantom and now we get access to all of their ABM models on the computer for a year, and more.
Old 28th November 2020
Lives for gear

This Zen Core + Cloud idea is really starting to grow on me. It seems like they had a master plan in mind and then implemented it slowly over a period of time. It didn't seem that great at first but I think it will be a landmark idea when they're done. And I don't think they're done yet.
Here for the gear

I tried again like you said and it worked ok.

Thanks
Old 29th November 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwaping View Post
This Zen Core + Cloud idea is really starting to grow on me. It seems like they had a master plan in mind and then implemented it slowly over a period of time. It didn't seem that great at first but I think it will be a landmark idea when they're done. And I don't think they're done yet.
Well they had this idea like 7 years ago with the System 1 Synthesizer and plugouts. Meaning, one has a hardware piece and can configure it to its own needs based on software he owns or rents. The software also able to run in the DAW for easy storage with the project file.

They just roll it out very very slowly and in a very complicated way.
Old 29th November 2020 | Show parent
Deleted 124c098
I have created a scene on my Fantom which has zone 1 set to External. With the Fantom connected to my Cobalt8M via a midi cable, playing the keys on the Fantom triggers the currently selected patch on the 8M as expected.

However, if I then select an Initialised Scene on the Fantom, the green LED goes out, but playing the keys on the Fantom continues to trigger the 8M as well as playing the internal default tone in zone 1 on the Fantom. If I then change the tone in zone 1 on the Fantom, it also sends a patch change to the 8M

It's only after selecting a non-initialised scene that the Fantom stops triggering the 8M.

Any ideas why it's working this way, or is it likely to be a bug?

My Fantom is running OS v2.01
Old 30th November 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichPT View Post
I have created a scene on my Fantom which has zone 1 set to External. With the Fantom connected to my Cobalt8M via a midi cable, playing the keys on the Fantom triggers the currently selected patch on the 8M as expected.

However, if I then select an Initialised Scene on the Fantom, the green LED goes out, but playing the keys on the Fantom continues to trigger the 8M as well as playing the internal default tone in zone 1 on the Fantom. If I then change the tone in zone 1 on the Fantom, it also sends a patch change to the 8M

It's only after selecting a non-initialised scene that the Fantom stops triggering the 8M.

Any ideas why it's working this way, or is it likely to be a bug?

My Fantom is running OS v2.01
It's working exactly as it should, exactly as designed. You need to learn how to operate a workstation, as well as the basics of MIDI, setting channels, etc. my friend. This is all stuff (and behavior) yo configure on a scene-by-scene basis.
Deleted 124c098
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZT Scheer View Post
It's working exactly as it should, exactly as designed. You need to learn how to operate a workstation, as well as the basics of MIDI, setting channels, etc. my friend. This is all stuff (and behavior) yo configure on a scene-by-scene basis.
Cheers, I managed to figure out what is happening.
Old 30th November 2020
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
I might sell my MPC Live and Integra 7 to partly fund a Fantom 7.

As usual I have no time to devote to music and the Fantom just seems so ‘immediate’. I had the Fantom G a few years ago and still miss its ease of use.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkhbrit View Post
I might sell my MPC Live and Integra 7 to partly fund a Fantom 7.

As usual I have no time to devote to music and the Fantom just seems so ‘immediate’. I had the Fantom G a few years ago and still miss its ease of use.
The Fantom won't fully cover both of those, but it will do a good amount of each. I personally wouldn't sell them unless you never use them. The Fantom is pretty immediate though.

I got my Fantom to keep me from buying an expensive analog poly plus an Integra. So far, so good.
📝 Reply