The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Roland Fantom 6- 7 -8
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

key trigger for sequencer patterns

Hi,

Since a few weeks, I am the proud owner of a Roland Fantom. I know I still have a lot to discover, but there's one thing I can't work out. For the rhythm pattern there is a key trigger function, but I can't find this same function to start the sequencer patterns. Can anyone help me out? Thanks a lot!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Anyone out there that owns both the Fantom and the TR-8S? Wondering if you could comment on the sound differences in the drums between them. Is the TR-8S sound quality substantially better, about the same, or other?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Fantom drums are sample based , tr8s is modelled ( + additional samples )
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoff View Post
Anyone out there that owns both the Fantom and the TR-8S? Wondering if you could comment on the sound differences in the drums between them. Is the TR-8S sound quality substantially better, about the same, or other?
Soundwise both are fine. I personally use TR-8s more for "new" stuff and Fantom for the classic sounds, because they are already readily available in the Fantom, with FX and everything.

TR-8s shines when it comes to individual outs and processing stuff back in. And of course on jam features.

Fantom easily wins for sampling, switching samples and editing sounds with synth features. The analog drive/filter does also very well as a master FX for drums.

I still have my TR-8s. More for convenience than out of necessity.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Yeah I kinda wish the Fantom had a few more kits.

Latin, Trap and some banging stuff you would hear on an MPC X.

Cheers
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coorec View Post
Soundwise both are fine. I personally use TR-8s more for "new" stuff and Fantom for the classic sounds, because they are already readily available in the Fantom, with FX and everything.

TR-8s shines when it comes to individual outs and processing stuff back in. And of course on jam features.

Fantom easily wins for sampling, switching samples and editing sounds with synth features. The analog drive/filter does also very well as a master FX for drums.

I still have my TR-8s. More for convenience than out of necessity.
Thanks. I would have guessed that the TR-8S has a better sound, or more punch for drums than the Fantom as that is traditionally the case between keyboards and drum machines. I know my MPC has great punch for drum sounds. Or maybe it is that the samples in the Fantom are not as detailed as they pack so much in there. I know that the instrument samples can be improved upon with user samples for instance - at least for some sounds.

Yes, I am loving the analog filter and drive module on many sounds - It really is a nice addition.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoff View Post
I own both. Although great sounding and more than usable for real records, I don’t think the sampled XOX kits of the Fantom sound as good as the ACB modeled kits of the TR-8S.

Keep in mind the TR-8S is primarily intended to produce the most authentic digital emulation possible of Roland’s most iconic drum machines (606, 707, 808, 909, etc). At this task, the TR-8S outperforms the Fantom. The TR-8S can also load and play back samples.

The ACB modeled drums of the TR-8S are not samples, they are synthesized, generated in real time, and have a greater fidelity. ACB drum characteristics can also be modulated in real time using an LFO and motion sequencing. The Fantom is also capable of some excellent synthesized drums of its own using the ZenCore engine, no samples necessary. Two different flavors entirely but both very nice.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

This might be old news for some but I learned something about the Fantom today. If you export a Scene to USB it saves all the Tone data too but only IF that tone is from the USER area. (Obviously any Preset Tones are still available to call upon so they don't need Exporting/Importing with the Scene.) Upon import it will then reload those USER tones into the first available Tone memory slots (even if the User Tone is still present in the same original location). That's good in that a Scene will always Import and play correctly. As a Scene in the Fantom itself is independant of the Tone data (a discussion we've already had!) I was rather surprised at this. I just wish this worked like the Factory-used tones where they are placed right at the end of the bank and work inwards whilst staying out of the way.
Old 1 week ago
Was having this issue specifically with a 707 and had posted this on the 707 thread, but as the Fantom shares the same engine, thought I'd cross post it here as well:

Mod Matrix doesn't always work?

I'd first noticed this with (some of) the MFX....
would assign a source to an MFX destination (presuming there was a direct correlation between what MFX controls could be assigned to knob control and what could be made a destination in the mod matrix) set the depth effect to whatever and then...... and then nothing. nothing would happen.

This had been an issue that frequently existed with the V-Synth GT, and I just thought to myself..... "o.k., surely Roland will fix it this time down the road; at least the control seems to work when a knob is assigned to the function"

But now I seemed to have run into even more nothing.....
Used LFO 2 of partial one as a step LFO and assigned it to modulating the rate of LFO 1.... set the dept of the modulation of LFO 2 on LFO 1 to positive (whatever value).... had LFO 1 modulating the filter at a positive depth (of whatever) and at a rate of "1"... triggered a sustained note..... and then... nothing. Well, that is to say nothing but LFO 1 modulating the filter at a persistent slow unchanging rate.
Just to make sure the programmed LFO 2 steps were otherwise doing things I then set LFO 2 to modulating the filter and filter modulation immediately sprang forth as expected.
*Edit: Was able to correct the issue, apparently dealt with the low rate of LFO1. Made the depth of both the steps and LFO 2 over more extreme (steps around + - 50 to 72 and LFO 2 depth at 63) AND then (double) assigned LFO 2's depth to LFO 1's rate again and by the second assigning of depth getting LFO 1 to reach it's full capacity became possible. Had presumed a full LFO depth in the matrix to correspond to + - 100% modulation, but seems it's + - 50%. Was mistaking the halved response to what I expected as being nothing at all*

As noted, while I can't say "ALL" MFX, this also seems to frequently takes place with MFX routing, so for example, set MFX to Super Filter (leaving it in it's default HPF) and swapped out LFO 1 rate being the modulation destination with MFX 1, then MFX 2, then MFX 3, then MFX 4 all for NOTHING. Finally Pulse Width came up and suddenly tons of modulation kicked in. Changed the MFX to Multi Mode Filter and repeated MFX 1 - 4 again and again, all nothing. Changed it to Phaser 3 and again nothing. Finally tried Ring Modulator and again, nothing.
*Edit: Issue resolved. Issue was due to a failure to make an assignment in the "MFX Ctrl" subsection in the "Effect" portion of sound edit.*

Anyone else encountered any strange issues with the Mod Matrix?

Last edited by Alien23; 1 week ago at 03:13 AM.. Reason: LFO Rate Issue Corrected
Old 1 week ago
It's just down to how they've implemented it. Every value is adjusted relative to it's current values rather than explicitly between a min/max value. This means that you have to first set the correct starting value, then adjust the mod strength and hope that the driver is starting at the correct position/value too, in addition the system is buggy so that when you save or load in a scene that's got a complex mod routing e.g. using hardware controls and sliders it often loses the connection or merges them into a single slider.

It's just a really messy system that You'd hope would be replaced with explicit min/max values, and maybe a min/max remap on the source too so you could do the old tricks like having a pedal with two functional fx (toe and tip) with mid at zero mix, or the same on any of the hardware sliders, or even from a single LFO. In general routing in any synth is kinda backwards, but with the Fantom it's definitely a little more janky than the rest.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefunkystrummer View Post
Keep in mind the TR-8S is primarily intended to produce the most authentic digital emulation possible of Roland’s most iconic drum machines (606, 707, 808, 909, etc). At this task, the TR-8S outperforms the Fantom. The TR-8S can also load and play back samples.
The thing is, that these sounds were not often used in its pure form, but heavily processed with gear of the time.

Fantom provides them this way, whereas the TR requires additional gear/processing steps.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdme_sadie View Post
It's just down to how they've implemented it. Every value is adjusted relative to it's current values rather than explicitly between a min/max value. This means that you have to first set the correct starting value, then adjust the mod strength and hope that the driver is starting at the correct position/value too, in addition the system is buggy so that when you save or load in a scene that's got a complex mod routing e.g. using hardware controls and sliders it often loses the connection or merges them into a single slider.

It's just a really messy system that You'd hope would be replaced with explicit min/max values, and maybe a min/max remap on the source too so you could do the old tricks like having a pedal with two functional fx (toe and tip) with mid at zero mix, or the same on any of the hardware sliders, or even from a single LFO. In general routing in any synth is kinda backwards, but with the Fantom it's definitely a little more janky than the rest.
Maschine’s automation works this way too - i find that pretty odd since DAWs have had very robust automation with various modes for a long time now..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Future ABM for Fantom confirmed by Gatobus, nice.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Dairy View Post
where?
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Dairy View Post
Where? Please document/timestamp, etc. ... your chance to shine, Matt!
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

28:30
Old 6 days ago
Gear Nut

it is news known to the "insiders"; I told you about it a few days ago. I asked to the “very Italian” gattobus the question and he too confirmed. dedicated to those who did not believe me :-)
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benis67 View Post
it is news known to the "insiders"; I told you about it a few days ago. I asked to the “very Italian” gattobus the question and he too confirmed. dedicated to those who did not believe me :-)
I am aware of engineering efforts and internal marketing discussions. This is the first that I've heard that it is going to happen. I sure hope this hold true!
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZT Scheer View Post
I am aware of engineering efforts and internal marketing discussions. This is the first that I've heard that it is going to happen. I sure hope this hold true!
The fact that it wasn’t there from day 1 is weird and troubling.

Also from that Gattobus clip it sounds more like he’s saying it is coming because zen core is just a platform and the models work on that platform conceptually.. it didn’t sound like he was trying to break news.
Old 6 days ago
So ABM is coming to the Fantom . . . yay! What do you guys think that means exactly? I mean, they're not going to deliberately cannibalize Jupiter-X sales with those particular models. So, what's to come, do you think?
Old 6 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZT Scheer View Post
The table is ready to be .... expanded and filled
Attached Thumbnails
Roland Fantom 6- 7 -8-img_4535.jpg  
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benis67 View Post
The table is ready to be .... expanded and filled
Any idea how much these might cost?
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

The models may or may not be free. Wouldn't be surprised either way tbh but leaning more towards paid. Maybe Juno and Jupiter free... JX-8P etc paid.

I am just glad cause it inevitably means more polyphony

Maybe we see January.

There was talk of the iArp coming to Fantom too.
Old 6 days ago
Fantom 7 is amazing , I went for the 7 because I have a Kronos 2 88key and wanted a fast action synth keyboard and this Roland delivers on that. The Key bed is sweet, my favorite synth action keyboard now, it used to be my Roland V-synth GT.

I love the clip based and TR-REC style sequencer options. The multi FX engine is another great upgrade.

The 2.0 update delivered, can't wait to see what is added next.
Attached Thumbnails
Roland Fantom 6- 7 -8-1.jpg  
Old 6 days ago
I would rather see some different option for the Fantom and not the same options as the Jupiter X. So many roads for Roland to take with this new ZenCore engine.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by studio460 View Post
So ABM is coming to the Fantom . . . yay! What do you guys think that means exactly? I mean, they're not going to deliberately cannibalize Jupiter-X sales with those particular models. So, what's to come, do you think?
I dont see how ABM on Fantom would cannibilize sales from Jupiter.

One keyboard is built around a 16 part sequencer. The other is built around a classic synthesizer user interface to stack sounds. The third (btw.) is built around a groovebox interface.

The synth UI gives you real time access to wide aray (nearly all) of sound parameters.
The DAW UI gives you access to sequences to jam and perform with them in real time.
The groove box UI gives you access to edit and play with patterns in real time.

Unless one really has troubles to understand the differences, nothing is cannibalizing from any other. The engine itself, doesnt matter at all. The instrument interface is what makes all the difference.

Violins, Cello and Guitars - they all are based on the "vibrating strings technology".
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

existing feature or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayerOf69 View Post
Hi,

Since a few weeks, I am the proud owner of a Roland Fantom. I know I still have a lot to discover, but there's one thing I can't work out. For the rhythm pattern there is a key trigger function, but I can't find this same function to start the sequencer patterns. Can anyone help me out? Thanks a lot!
So many experts here, so I was hoping to get some answer. If it's not a feature yet, shouldn't it be included in next update 2.1?
(If this is the wrong place to ask this question, kindly let me know)
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by studio460 View Post
Due to certain vague hints thrown around by a Roland rep on the boards, I think it may be a Jupiter 6 at first. That would also be a way to keep differentiation between units. Although I really hope they port the ones they have now over too.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I dont see how ABM on Fantom would cannibilize sales from Jupiter.

One keyboard is built around a 16 part sequencer. The other is built around a classic synthesizer user interface to stack sounds. The third (btw.) is built around a groovebox interface.

The synth UI gives you real time access to wide aray (nearly all) of sound parameters.
The DAW UI gives you access to sequences to jam and perform with them in real time.
The groove box UI gives you access to edit and play with patterns in real time.

Unless one really has troubles to understand the differences, nothing is cannibalizing from any other. The engine itself, doesnt matter at all. The instrument interface is what makes all the difference.

Violins, Cello and Guitars - they all are based on the "vibrating strings technology".
And as previously mentioned - the cannibilization has pretty much already been done now that one can load these Jupiter-X engines on a computer, or laptop for live use. They are already available for anyone who has a modern computer.
Old 5 days ago
Quote:
Unless one really has troubles to understand the differences, nothing is cannibalizing from any other. The engine itself, doesnt matter at all. The instrument interface is what makes all the difference . . .
Well, I don't agree with your assessment. If the Fantom were to include all the models the Jupiter-X has, I'm sure that would have an impact on Jupiter-X sales.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoff;1506****
And as previously mentioned - the cannibilization has pretty much already been done now that one can load these Jupiter-X engines on a computer, or laptop for live use. They are already available for anyone who has a modern computer.
It may have capitalized on that particular segment, but not for those who don't play ITB.
📝 Reply