The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Roland Fantom 6- 7 -8
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZT Scheer View Post
How did you save an individual Part/Tone, Matt? Let's say you came up with a great analog bass sound with one voice of the analog section. How did you save that great bass sound so that you could find it easily (by name) and use it in other programs?

Or is the ability to save named Parts/Tones in a searchable library simply not of any value to you?
On Fantom this is no problem though is it?

WRITE>TONE. There your tone is preserved and searchable in the library.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Dairy View Post
On Fantom this is no problem though is it?

WRITE>TONE. There your tone is preserved and searchable in the library.
You just dropped/switched context , and didn't answer my question, which was predicated upon the (It should work like the JD-XA) scenario you proposed.

Quote:
... I've had two JDXA's BTW. It just worked. No mental gymnastics involved. Still have a JDXI, that works the same way. Program is a program - not some splintered mess.
If you can't track this conversation, or even your own posts from minutes ago, just say so.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

It is you that is cross contaminating arguments Sensei.

This is about Fantom. I brought up the way JDXA does things with a global program with respect to this situation. Is it perfect for all JDXA users? No.

Could Fantom be perfect for all users? Yes... but it isn't.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

As I continue to make new scenes and tones (the phenomenal quality and features of the Fantom's sound engine encourages and rewards this), I have quickly reached the point where I don't know if a specific Tone is used in other Scenes, and therefore saving it over itself risks running other Scenes it may be used in.

My question is what workarounds are people using to get around this limitation? Tonight I am making a spreadsheet, and with that I can just search instead of scrolling through it. So if I modify tone 242 that resides in a scene, I can quickly search for 242 to see if it is already in there. Even a text file will work. But what do other people do? Do you jut always save Tone edits as new Tones due to the vast memory space, and thus don't really worry about it? Do you just work with offsets once you make a Tone? (This feature is nice but I frequently start editing Tones with the nice controls for filters and envelopes on the front panel, and those map directly to Tone parameters (which makes sense) instead of the offsets. So I use them much more than the offsets. Do people just make every scene from scratch and thus have no overlapping of Tones? Wondering if people have other ways of working this.

P.S. What I am please not looking for is for this sub-discussion to evolve into what Roland could do. This is about how to work with what is there now.

Thanks.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoff View Post
As I continue to make new scenes and tones (the phenomenal quality and features of the Fantom's sound engine encourages and rewards this), I have quickly reached the point where I don't know if a specific Tone is used in other Scenes, and therefore saving it over itself risks running other Scenes it may be used in.

My question is what workarounds are people using to get around this limitation? Tonight I am making a spreadsheet, and with that I can just search instead of scrolling through it. So if I modify tone 242 that resides in a scene, I can quickly search for 242 to see if it is already in there. Even a text file will work. But what do other people do? Do you jut always save Tone edits as new Tones due to the vast memory space, and thus don't really worry about it? Do you just work with offsets once you make a Tone? (This feature is nice but I frequently start editing Tones with the nice controls for filters and envelopes on the front panel, and those map directly to Tone parameters (which makes sense) instead of the offsets. So I use them much more than the offsets. Do people just make every scene from scratch and thus have no overlapping of Tones? Wondering if people have other ways of working this.

P.S. What I am please not looking for is for this sub-discussion to evolve into what Roland could do. This is about how to work with what is there now.

Thanks.
The factory tones can't be overwritten so you are safe there.

User tones different matter I think.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
It is you that is cross contaminating arguments Sensei.

This is about Fantom. I brought up the way JDXA does things with a global program with respect to this situation. Is it perfect for all JDXA users? No.
I quoted you directly, lol. Nice tay at walking it back. Sorry, not playing if you're going to resort to that kind of sophistry. Maybe that kind of thing works with some people ... not me. Let me know when you want to have an adult-level conversation.

Have the last word if you like.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

OK last word. You are wrong

What was the argument again? That they can't implement a new save system without alienating others? That I am only thinking about it from my own point of view? Turns out both of that's not true, so case closed.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

As someone who is excited to learn about what this thing can actually do,

I would respectfully like to request that you two take your arguments to private messaging.

This seems like a really powerful keyboard, and I've just ordered one. This was a very expensive purchase (for me) and I think it would benefit to have some useful information from a good number of people instead of just two people having a back and forth argument.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Yep. This thread has more scenes than a Fantom can fathom.

Meanwhile, here’s to my incoming F7
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrZero View Post
This seems like a really powerful keyboard, and I've just ordered one. This was a very expensive purchase (for me) and I think it would benefit to have some useful information from a good number of people instead of just two people having a back and forth argument.
Well, for my part (Coming from a background of decades of experience from virtually the very beginning of the advent of the synthesizer), I have a YouTube channel where I post tutorials on the Fantom (mostly, for now) but I'll be expanding to a whole host of other instruments as well.

I just started a series explaining how the FX work on the Fantom, but you should start with more basic stuff first.

It's called "ZT Audio" if you're looking for it on YouTube. Roland also posts a bunch of excellent stuff.

The Roland Fantom Platform User Group FaceBook page is pretty useful as well, Roland reps and knowledgeable users regularly participate there.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrZero View Post

I would respectfully like to request that you two take your arguments to private messaging.
Well, this thread was pretty dead until Mr. Dairy began arguing . . . since his appearance, just about every aspect of the new Fantom has been discussed in microscopic detail -- which is invaluable for people making purchasing decisions.

Yeah, some of the arguments have veered off into existential directions . . . on the other hand, the info level has kicked up exponentially at the same time.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
My question is what workarounds are people using to get around this limitation?
Make sure it's not a user tone (used in demo songs etc) because those WILL be written over. Matt is right, you can't write over a factory tone.

Use the exact same tone name except put a "MY" in front of it, then star it.

This is quick to do and quick to find again + you always know what the tweaked tone started as.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear
I am probably missing something very simple as I haven't tried doing this before with any other keyboards. I have a few tracks set up in my Kronos sequencer and I'd like to play the Kronos sounds from my Fantom, one zone/track at a time. If I shift-enable EXT for each zone (green light on the relevant buttons below the faders), then this effectively layers the Kronos sounds (and I understand this is expected per one of ZT's tutorial videos).

If I don't switch each zone to EXT that way, then I can toggle between tracks using the track buttons above the faders and everything on the Fantom and Kronos works as I expect, but I still get internal sounds from the Fantom.

Is there some mode or zone/scene option that allows me to completely bypass the internal sound generator without effectively layering sounds on the target keyboard?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Seems like this would be common knowledge, but I can't find it anywhere. Does anyone know where I can find a breakdown of the differences between MC-707, Fantom, and Jupiter? I know the sequencing and patch editing for sure is vastly different on each, but what I'm interested is the differences between their sound engines. I get that Fantom is the only one that can use samples for tones (for now) but what about the rest of the Zen-Core architecture? Does one have more ROM than the other? Does one contain more presets than the other? Thanks in advance!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewishmaster View Post
I am probably missing something very simple as I haven't tried doing this before with any other keyboards. I have a few tracks set up in my Kronos sequencer and I'd like to play the Kronos sounds from my Fantom, one zone/track at a time. If I shift-enable EXT for each zone (green light on the relevant buttons below the faders), then this effectively layers the Kronos sounds (and I understand this is expected per one of ZT's tutorial videos).

If I don't switch each zone to EXT that way, then I can toggle between tracks using the track buttons above the faders and everything on the Fantom and Kronos works as I expect, but I still get internal sounds from the Fantom.

Is there some mode or zone/scene option that allows me to completely bypass the internal sound generator without effectively layering sounds on the target keyboard?
Assuming that you are on OS 2.0 (could make a difference)...

If a Zone is GREEN, it should only be playing External sounds on the Kronos. I am assuming here that you've set the MIDI Transmit Channels on your GREEN match up with the assigned MIDI channels on your Kronos.

If by some chance your GREEN Zones are layering an internal Fantom tone, then you may have a MIDI loop of sorts. Is there a MIDI cable coming from the MIDI OUT port of your Kronos? Unless you intend to control the Fantom from the Kronos, this is unnecessary. In such a case there is likely a MIDI OUT/THRU feature enabled on the Kronos. You can either disable that, or simply unplug the cable if you don't intend to control the Fantom from the Kronos.

Killer rig, BTW. I've often considered adding a Kronos.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear
Quote:
Assuming that you are on OS 2.0 (could make a difference)...

If a Zone is GREEN, it should only be playing External sounds on the Kronos. I am assuming here that you've set the MIDI Transmit Channels on your GREEN match up with the assigned MIDI channels on your Kronos.

If by some chance your GREEN Zones are layering an internal Fantom tone, then you may have a MIDI loop of sorts. Is there a MIDI cable coming from the MIDI OUT port of your Kronos? Unless you intend to control the Fantom from the Kronos, this is unnecessary. In such a case there is likely a MIDI OUT/THRU feature enabled on the Kronos. You can either disable that, or simply unplug the cable if you don't intend to control the Fantom from the Kronos.

Killer rig, BTW. I've often considered adding a Kronos.
Thanks! Yup, OS 2.0. Yep, when those lights are green, I'm only hearing Kronos tones as expected. Only have a MIDI OUT from the Fantom connected to MIDI IN on the Kronos (and I guess line out Fantom -> Kronos, but I ended up disabling that input on the Kronos to avoid the internal sound generator).

I guess then phrased another way, is there a way to do 1-button track selection while purely controlling external outputs, or is it always a 3-step process:
Assuming I'm on track 1, and I want to switch to track 3:
1) select track 3
2) disable zone 1 (currently green) to avoid layering with zone 3
3) shift-press zone to set EXT for zone 3

I'm using the sequencer mode to play with a backing track, and I'd like to switch the instrument being controlled ideally with 1 press. Not a big deal either way, since it's only a matter of unplugging my headphones (or any non-midi output cables from the Fantom) and using it the way I do already, but I thought there might be a better way to set this up
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks! Yup, OS 2.0. Yep, when those lights are green, I'm only hearing Kronos tones as expected. Only have a MIDI OUT from the Fantom connected to MIDI IN on the Kronos (and I guess line out Fantom -> Kronos, but I ended up disabling that input on the Kronos to avoid the internal sound generator).

I guess then phrased another way, is there a way to do 1-button track selection while purely controlling external outputs, or is it always a 3-step process:
Assuming I'm on track 1, and I want to switch to track 3:
1) select track 3
2) disable zone 1 (currently green) to avoid layering with zone 3
3) shift-press zone to set EXT for zone 3

I'm using the sequencer mode to play with a backing track, and I'd like to switch the instrument being controlled ideally with 1 press. Not a big deal either way, since it's only a matter of unplugging my headphones (or any non-midi output cables from the Fantom) and using it the way I do already, but I thought there might be a better way to set this up
It sounds a bit like you'll want to explore "Keyboard Switch Groups". Ed Diaz has a video on that (or maybe two?). I'm not sure how 2.0 may have affected how this works, but it's a cool way to switch quickly between various Zone selections on the Fantom.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul71 View Post
Make sure it's not a user tone (used in demo songs etc) because those WILL be written over. Matt is right, you can't write over a factory tone.

Use the exact same tone name except put a "MY" in front of it, then star it.

This is quick to do and quick to find again + you always know what the tweaked tone started as.
The thing is that the factory scenes use a lot of the user tones that exist up in the 1900+ memory area. Come to think of it any edits of those when I first got the Fantom would have potentially altered other scenes that I liked. Hopefully the factory scenes had separate tones used instead of reusing them among scenes.

My questions was regarding the potentially hundreds of user tones that one might create. I actually do what you say (put an extra letter on ones I edit), but it does not solve the problem of not knowing if that tone is just used in the scene I am editing, in which case I can just overwrite it, or if it used in several other scenes, in which case I would want to save a new version so as to not wreck the other scenes it is used in. Guess I need to decide on either always saving a tone as new when making an edit of it, thus never having to worry about wrecking other scenes, or keeping a spreadsheet for the purpose of memory management (preventing orphaned tones, maximizing free memory slots, etc).
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
but it does not solve the problem of not knowing if that tone is just used in the scene I am editing
This is a problem others have touched on. You need a lot of user slots to save every tweaked patch so the obvious answer, at this point, is free up more slots. Also use SCENE EDIT for tweaks whenever possible. The real solution is for Roland to provide more SCENE EDIT type parameters for non destructive tone editing.

Where we sit today I think it comes down to how in love you are with the factory user patches and accompanying demos. Eventually I think they can be jettisoned along with all those factory user patches you'll never use.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
. . . I'm using the sequencer mode to play with a backing track, and I'd like to switch the instrument being controlled ideally with 1 press. Not a big deal either way, since it's only a matter of unplugging my headphones (or any non-midi output cables from the Fantom) and using it the way I do already, but I thought there might be a better way to set this up.
This whole zone thing for controlling external keyboards is a PITA to me. Probably super-useful to some, but not to me. I don't require uber-control over my external synths, I just need them to play; i.e., tracking individual external synths into a DAW.

I have my Fantom-7 set-up as a master-keyboard for all of my rackmount synths, so when I want to hear one, I pull its fader up on one of my two MX-1s. The irony is, I replaced my System-8 as the master-controller because it lacked aftertouch—who knew the Fantom doesn't have it either!!!

I think I'm either going to buy a separate MIDI-controller and stick it on an under-desk keyboard drawer to play my racksynths, or use my Montage-6 as the master-controller, which would be great, but it's just in the wrong spot. Clicking red buttons, de-clicking green buttons—it's making me crazy.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
This is a problem others have touched on. You need a lot of user slots to save every tweaked patch so the obvious answer, at this point, is free up more slots. Also use SCENE EDIT for tweaks whenever possible. The real solution is for Roland to provide more SCENE EDIT type parameters for non destructive tone editing.

Where we sit today I think it comes down to how in love you are with the factory user patches and accompanying demos. Eventually I think they can be jettisoned along with all those factory user patches you'll never use.

In fairness the Fantom comes with almost 2000 free slots, so it will take a long while to fill it up. Also I need to quickly look at what a full memory backup entails, and if it can just be tones and scenes. With backups we can have multiple 2000 tone banks - all we would ever need.

I think by Scene Edit you are referring to Zone Edit, and yes I should take more advantage of that.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

A few thoughts. Doing the math ... if you wanted a 100% custom-edited Tone for every one of 16 zones, in every one of the 512 Scenes, you'd need 8,192 user slots. As it is, you have somewhere around 1900 (?). So you've got roughly 1/4 what you'd need if every single Scene were configured this way. It doesn't seem - pragmatically - likely that you'd need 512x16 slots available. So you're probably in good shape.

Consider that the "offsets" feature is a partial - albeit imperfect - way to address cases where all you need is to make minor tweaks to various parameters like Cutoff, Resonance, Attack, etc. ... you can end up with something very different than the original Tone that way, and that data is saved with the Scene ... no user slot needed.

So far as naming conventions ... wow, that's a deep subject which leads to all sorts of "philosophical" discussions, even when you are talking about systems which have ~infinte namespaces.
Old 3 weeks ago
The issue for me with the presets system is - I just want to be able to quickly find a tone. Right now I can’t. Or rather I can quickly jump to a category but then finding the best fit for what I want in there is a long old slog and often I need to go through multiple categories that vaguely fit the description of what I’m after to find something that’s close to what I’m after.

It would be better if you weren’t presented with banks and locations but simply well designed filtering and searching.

Currently its a lot of paging, not a lot of grouping and a heck of a lot of trial and error.

The ability to organize a little more, tag, filter, maybe even give different tone patches different colors or icons, or even some stats like sample length, tone value (mean frequency), transient (attack), etc visualized in a small way next to them, or maybe even do as the Montage does with a little “demo” that you can turn on to plays as you browse patches, just any stuff to help you as a user drill down to that particular tone you are after... which in my case tends to be knowing which tones maybe have a gated pattern in there, or use a delay effect, or are sharp (contains a lot of treble, not so much bass) or mellow (more mids and bass, less treble) sounding etc. not so much “is it categorized as a pad, or a lead, or a synth?” which are rough and ready descriptions.

It’s about looking for something that fits a mix. Whatever can be done to improve that is what would make me use the tone presets system more.

As far as the presets system itself and storage goes, well they don’t take up much room. It’s the samples that take up space.

Really most tones don’t need to be stored in the main banks but instead as part of the scenes they are in. Storing presets to be re-used elsewhere should be a choice of the user, for my own part very rarely do I want that enforced. Even less frequently do I want to change a tone in multiple scenes, mostly I want to load a tone in, use it and forget about it. It’s a sort of neurotic “just in case” thing thing that should be an edge case rather than main approach, something you can do if you want but not the default behavior.

Creating tones, scenes etc should just be fun. A carefree and creative experience. Make a mess first then clean it up after, start from roughing out to fine detail etc It shouldn’t really require extensive planning, because that requires that you know what you want ahead of time. Great if you’re doing a cover, not so creatively freeing though.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

I have a programming question I wonder if someone could take a look at. In Scene B014, Zone 3 acts in a way that the harder you press the key the less loud the sound is, so if you hit it hard you hear nothing. What is causing that to happen? It doesn't seem to be the tone itself, because any tone you load into Zone 3 does this. And if I take that same tone and load it into Zone 1 it doesn't do that. So it seemed obvious it is happening at the Zone level. But I have gone through all of the Zone parameters 4 times and do not see what is causing that.

Does anyone know what is going on in this Scene that would cause that? You will need to solo Zone 3 to really hear what is going on, and its initial range is just the lower octaves of the keyboard (in case you don't hear it at all).

Thanks.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I'm guessing you might want the 'Vel Range' settings in the Zone Parameters section.

It's page 11 in the original Fantom parameter guide.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
In fairness the Fantom comes with almost 2000 free slots
Agreed, 2,688 to be exact with over 2,000 dedicated to Z-Core. That leaves about 600 divided among V-Piano, SN-A, SN-AP, SN-EP. Plenty for me unless I really go crazy tweaking EP's.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
A few thoughts. Doing the math ... if you wanted a 100% custom-edited Tone for every one of 16 zones, in every one of the 512 Scenes, you'd need 8,192 user slots. As it is, you have somewhere around 1900 (?). So you've got roughly 1/4 what you'd need if every single Scene were configured this way. It doesn't seem - pragmatically - likely that you'd need 512x16 slots available. So you're probably in good shape.

Consider that the "offsets" feature is a partial - albeit imperfect - way to address cases where all you need is to make minor tweaks to various parameters like Cutoff, Resonance, Attack, etc. ... you can end up with something very different than the original Tone that way, and that data is saved with the Scene ... no user slot needed.

So far as naming conventions ... wow, that's a deep subject which leads to all sorts of "philosophical" discussions, even when you are talking about systems which have ~infinte namespaces.

Yes that is the way I am leaning now. Instead of creating a spreadsheet just save all Tones separately instead of using any of them elsewhere. While my scenes may tend to average more like 8 Tones, it is going to probably take years for me to fill up the 256 scenes that would cause me to run out of Tone space. And when that happens one can just start over with fresh banks and things backed up, or perhaps fresh banks with some of one's favorite sounds imported that they tend to use a lot.

The only thing doing it this way is to remember when deep in the process of working on a Scene, I need to keep track of which Tones were already part of the Scene and which ones were copied in from elsewhere, as the ones already there could be overwritten, but the ones copied in need to be saved to new locations.

Working in this way would eliminate the concern of messing up other Scenes that happened to use the same Tones.

Of course it doesn't resolve the issue of that I like to work in Tone mode a lot - thus editing Tones outside of Scenes. May need to adjust that habit, or at least get in the habit of building new Scenes around new Tones I create, otherwise I am going to have a lot of Tones outside of Scenes taking up space, and then when I import them in I will wind up saving dups of them as I don't want to overwrite Tones that are already there. Just thinking out loud..........
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

Again I wonder how people that don't want tones saved with scenes get along with DAWs? All DAWs save the current state of your plugins in the project, they don't just reload the preset. I've never once heard someone complain about this - not sure why this is different.

As for user slots - there's nothing that says the tones saved with scenes would have to take up a user slot. They (Roland) have memory they can use for whatever they want structured however they want it.. I imagine they just have a maximum number of tone slots in a scene and if it was higher or lower the size of a single scene in the storage would be higher or lower.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear
Quote:
It sounds a bit like you'll want to explore "Keyboard Switch Groups". Ed Diaz has a video on that (or maybe two?). I'm not sure how 2.0 may have affected how this works, but it's a cool way to switch quickly between various Zone selections on the Fantom.
Thanks! That looks relevant. I’ll give it a whirl.

Edit: does exactly what I need right out of the box - the default keyboard switch groups toggle the zone and the ext status together, so I can just tap the pads to switch to the sounds I need. Many thanks!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Wait, what’s this now? Can you please elaborate?
📝 Reply