The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Roland Fantom 6- 7 -8
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherscott View Post
On at least some Rolands, I've noticed that the aftertouch works better further back on the key (maybe that corresponds to the physical placement of the aftertouch strip). So if you slid your finger rearward on the key as you pressed down for aftertouch, you might get better results...?
Yeah I don't use AT like that, so I didn't even try that. Even if it did work better with that method, it's still crap IMHO.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Yes they do have it and no it doesn't help. It's the activation point of aftertouch that requires too much pressure, nothing that can be sorted out software-side.
This will fix your problems with too much pressure to trigger the aftertouch...
Attached Thumbnails
Roland Fantom 6- 7 -8-51mw1q0ozil._sx373_bo1-204-203-200_-1-.jpg  
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Hahah. No, not really. My finger strength is just fine.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

again, why isn't anyone comparing this to the Genos? Why do you only talk about the montage?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Give us a reason why we should ?
The genos is an arranger , pure sample playback only .
Fantom : pcm engine (sample synthesis ) + VA + physical modelling ( piano )
Montage : awm2 (samplesynthesis ) + FM

What makes you think the fantom is closer to the genos than to the montage ?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by realtrance View Post
Ultimately, for me, with Roland stuff that is chock full of thousands of presets now, many of which I've been familiar with since 1997, the problem with any new Roland is that yes, it's got cool new workflows and ways to manipulate things, and okay, there are changes in the way the pieces are arranged and what is or isn't present to fit with present-day ways of working, but still.... It's a LOT of the same sounds, in essence, to wade through to get to making my own music.

And the challenge of these feature-rich performance instruments is that sound design just takes a lot of time to build something that sounds truly fresh.
I'm not sure why I've never suffered so much with this. These days, it seems that every synth and softie is filled to the teleporter with thousands of sounds. Some get used in music, a lot get used. "Fresh" is an ever more distant horizon for us programmers. I rarely program for fun anymore. I tend to do it specifically for pieces of music. But even when I don't program from scratch, I have to alter a preset at least slightly to make it suit my taste, though this has been the norm ever since synthesizers have had programmable patches. I adapt like any living thing to my environment.

KORG's next wonderstation is probably going to have KARMA 5 and one note symphony Combis, and 20,000 patches. Welcome to the 21st Century, where we have too many choices handed to us. Adapt, or take up geetar. Just don't buy a pedalboard, you'll be in the same boat.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I demand someone compare this to the Genos immediately.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Yeah, it's not true suffering so much as worrying about wasting a lot of money on something that ultimately ends up boring me.

The problem with all of Roland's elegant, full of motion, distinctive patches that sound memorable or wonderful is that they inspire all the inevitable playing you'd imagine out of them, and nothing else. You can't wear a Dark Elf costume to play football. I mean you can, but it would be unwise.

So I end up feeling hemmed in by all the pre-produced music. Heard it already, and I like the greater open-endedness of my Quantum. Just a question of preference and desired goals.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
You can't wear a Dark Elf costume to play football. I mean you can, but it would be unwise.
I’m not sure I understand the analogy as intended and yet I can’t help but appreciate it anyway. Awkwardly appropriate and strangely evocative.

Perhaps presets should come with warning labels? “Seems boring, but try it in a mix.” “Great feature showcase, but do not attempt to use in a musical context.” “Every single in 2020 will use this preset. Aim for January or pick something else.”
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Think WoW meets Madden, maybe? I love the idea of context-for-use advice and commentary. I wouldn't hope for Roland to program a description box that didn't fail, though...
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by asynchro_nous View Post
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by asynchro_nous View Post
The Fantom is not an arranger. Thus endeth any rational comparison.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Ok, so I went out to GuitarCenter last Sunday to audition the Fantom 8. I love this workstation overall, the key action is a dream, but the great thing about it, the touch display, is also the most concerning to me. I love the way the display was implemented from a software perspective, it improves the workflow so much, but the hardware feels VERY vulnerable. The most concerning is that when you slide your finger on it, the whole display shifts a few millimeters on the horizontal plane in every direction, seems like it's sitting loose inside the casing. This should never happen and Roland has got to fix that. I foresee a lot of recalls.

I want the Fantom 8 badly, I've been waiting a long time to replace my G8 with something worthy, but will wait for them to iron out the production flaws first.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Could the screen be on rubber mounts, to protect it from shocks? I could see that as a design choice. But yes, we should get clarity on that pronto.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
You can't wear a Dark Elf costume to play football. I mean you can, but it would be unwise.
People do it all the time. It's called fantasy football.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Looks like they do not have fans...

Nice to have quite gear
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearTank View Post
Ok, so I went out to GuitarCenter last Sunday to audition the Fantom 8. I love this workstation overall, the key action is a dream, but the great thing about it, the touch display, is also the most concerning to me. I love the way the display was implemented from a software perspective, it improves the workflow so much, but the hardware feels VERY vulnerable. The most concerning is that when you slide your finger on it, the whole display shifts a few millimeters on the horizontal plane in every direction, seems like it's sitting loose inside the casing. This should never happen and Roland has got to fix that. I foresee a lot of recalls.

I want the Fantom 8 badly, I've been waiting a long time to replace my G8 with something worthy, but will wait for them to iron out the production flaws first.

Maybe unit got damaged in transport? They don't typically have build quality issues other than buttons/knobs wearing out.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zephonic View Post
Maybe unit got damaged in transport? They don't typically have build quality issues other than buttons/knobs wearing out.
You can see the movement in multiple videos when they’re using the motional pad.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearTank View Post

LOL , that's exactly what I saw in this video , I posted earlier in this thread

It begins @ 33:42 ( best viewed in full screen mode
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

I look forward to the Sound Expansions , hope they stretch the imagination far and wide , the no cutting off of patches , I never had a Fantom and I know that's around a while , with the higher quaiity of sound , it sounds incredible , if a module comes I have too get it , hopefully with a healthy range of knobs and faders ,im so full of gratitude they brought it back even better , they really are going deeper into creativity and lets hope it continues

Last edited by LIFEPASS4; 1 week ago at 06:35 AM.. Reason: mistake
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Nobody has made any comparison because there is simply no similarity or point of comparison to make between the Genos and the Fantom.

Call it apples and tomatoes.. They are both fruit but the purpose of each is dramatically different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4kk0n View Post
again, why isn't anyone comparing this to the Genos? Why do you only talk about the montage?
If you are after an arranger then the Genos and the PA4x are the two to compare...and there are plenty of those two comparisons as these are relevant.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIFEPASS4 View Post
I look forward to the Sound Expansions ...
I have it confirmed from a very reliable source that SuperNatural Acoustic is forthcoming. That ticks off a big box for me, as I was loathe to lose that feature.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Yeah, I saw that on the Facebook group. Knowing that some TBD EP expansion is coming along with the SN stuff is encouraging. My RD-2000 is boxed up for return and I set up the upgrade to get the Fantom 8. Hopefully I don't regret it!
Old 1 week ago
AB3
Lives for gear

Have one (Fantom 7) over my RD2000. The RD2000 pianos are still great. Virtually everything else in the Fantom 7 is WOW WOW WOW WOW!!!! Just tested this morning. (I have so little time.)
It is a keeper.
I am grateful!
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB3 View Post
Have one (Fantom 7) over my RD2000. The RD2000 pianos are still great. Virtually everything else in the Fantom 7 is WOW WOW WOW WOW!!!! Just tested this morning. (I have so little time.)
It is a keeper.
I am grateful!
If you didn't already have the RD-2000 is there any reason you wouldn't have gone with the F8 as a singular device?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZT Scheer View Post
I have it confirmed from a very reliable source that SuperNatural Acoustic is forthcoming. That ticks off a big box for me, as I was loathe to lose that feature.
That's pretty good but what I want to know is

a) Are the same sounds as in the Integra 7 and
b) Will there be an extra charge?
Old 1 week ago
AB3
Lives for gear

If I did not have the Rd-2000 - Hmmm - hard question.
But likely I would have ordered the Fantom 8.
Having said that, on a very quick review of both, I find both valuable - if anything because in the studio - it is a little easier to feed some midi to one and some midi to the other. But that is my style and I am old old old (65).

I actually bought the first midi keyboard - a Prophet 600?

Anyway - I have a question if it is ok - because I just checking it out - I hope I can send one channel of midi and get a particular scene to play completely - or do I have to send midi to each part of the scene? It would be nice if there is something that allows me to have the whole scene respond to one channel of midi coming in to the keyboard.

Best!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidmantis View Post
If you didn't already have the RD-2000 is there any reason you wouldn't have gone with the F8 as a singular device?
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Anyway - I have a question if it is ok - because I just checking it out - I hope I can send one channel of midi and get a particular scene to play completely - or do I have to send midi to each part of the scene? It would be nice if there is something that allows me to have the whole scene respond to one channel of midi coming in to the keyboard.
The Reference Manual shows a "Scene Control Channel" setting under the MIDI Settings. The description just says, "Specifies the MIDI channel for controlling the scene." Not having the fortune of having my hands on one yet I can't test what that does, but maybe it is what you want.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Is the Fantom 7 keybed similar to the RD-2000? Full-weighted? Thanks

Quote:
It is a keeper.
I am grateful!
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjdpro View Post
Is the Fantom 7 keybed similar to the RD-2000? Full-weighted? Thanks
No, the 6 and 7 are new synth-action keybeds. The 8 has the same PHA-50 as the RD-2000, with the addition of aftertouch.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search