The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Roland Fantom 6- 7 -8
Old 4 weeks ago
  #4441
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DStep ATL View Post
When was the last time a roland product saw 3.0? Serious question. Did the Fantom G ever get 2.0?
The fact that in 2.0 they have not included other engines and the Model Expansions does not mean that this will not happen in the next firmware. As I said I know for sure that these expansions are in beta and will therefore be implemented. Personally, I think the limit of only 128 Multisamples is really serious; unfortunately the 2GB Flash is a hardware limit and there is no firmware that can work miracles.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #4442
Lives for gear
 
DStep ATL's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benis67 View Post
The fact that in 2.0 they have not included other engines and the Model Expansions does not mean that this will not happen in the next firmware. As I said I know for sure that these expansions are in beta and will therefore be implemented. Personally, I think the limit of only 128 Multisamples is really serious; unfortunately the 2GB Flash is a hardware limit and there is no firmware that can work miracles.
What expansions are in beta?
Old 4 weeks ago
  #4443
Lives for gear
 

This looks cool, a live event in 5 hours...

For this special episode of Synth Talk, join a virtual Roland round table of synth experts, David Ahlund, Scott Berry, Ed Diaz, and Mark Watson as they bring you FANTOM tips and tricks. They’ll be talking updates, demoing the deepest features, and showing you features only the pros know.

Old 4 weeks ago
  #4444
Lives for gear
 
Coorec's Avatar
I did the whole 90's and a good chunk of the 00's with one 540mb hard disc.

I'll be fine, memory wise. Anyhow. There are 3 USB ports on the backside .. much storage to load things in, i guess? Sooner or later, at least =)

For now i am happy the 64 sample limit was lifted, which is one real big thing in this update.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #4445
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benis67 View Post
The fact that in 2.0 they have not included other engines and the Model Expansions does not mean that this will not happen in the next firmware. As I said I know for sure that these expansions are in beta and will therefore be implemented. Personally, I think the limit of only 128 Multisamples is really serious; unfortunately the 2GB Flash is a hardware limit and there is no firmware that can work miracles.
No, but adding support for external SSDs via USB should solve that? You could literally store your library externally, then import them to flash as you need them.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #4446
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coorec View Post

Anyhow. There are 3 USB ports on the backside ..
4.....

We dont known the capability of the "3" bar "class compliant". Currently any loading/import/export is done by the "1". the the "3" were capable of that, then Id think we'd be doing it already.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #4447
Lives for gear
 
Fleer's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benis67 View Post
The fact that in 2.0 they have not included other engines and the Model Expansions does not mean that this will not happen in the next firmware. As I said I know for sure that these expansions are in beta and will therefore be implemented. Personally, I think the limit of only 128 Multisamples is really serious; unfortunately the 2GB Flash is a hardware limit and there is no firmware that can work miracles.
I guess that’s my main quibble with a $4000 workstation. Maybe wait for Fantom XS next year and a healthy serving of 10GB Flash memory.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #4448
Lives for gear
 
Coorec's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmapp8306 View Post
4.....
should have said: 3 unused USB ports ...
Old 4 weeks ago
  #4449


Overall impressive- but DAMN the sampler is slow... reminds me of my old S550
Old 4 weeks ago
  #4450
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benis67 View Post
The fact that in 2.0 they have not included other engines and the Model Expansions does not mean that this will not happen in the next firmware. As I said I know for sure that these expansions are in beta and will therefore be implemented. Personally, I think the limit of only 128 Multisamples is really serious; unfortunately the 2GB Flash is a hardware limit and there is no firmware that can work miracles.
It is also possible that something like model banks will not be in a firmware update, but will simply be released as packs one downloads, like the SupoerNatural acoustic and electric piano expansions.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #4451
Here for the gear
 
RichPT's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoff View Post
It is also possible that something like model banks will not be in a firmware update, but will simply be released as packs one downloads, like the SupoerNatural acoustic and electric piano expansions.
To be able to install the supernatural expansions Roland had to add tone parameter support for them in updates 1.50 & 1.60. Would they not have to include additional support for the model banks?
Old 4 weeks ago
  #4452
Here for the gear
 

Waiting

I'll wait to buy the new Fantom until it has the features I need. I to had a Fantom-G and that workstation left me deeply unsatisfied with the unfinished sequencer. I'll either buy a keyboard understanding the current features are all I'm getting or I won't buy at all. I'm won't ever again buy anything based on a manufacturers future promises of updates.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #4453
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichPT View Post
To be able to install the supernatural expansions Roland had to add tone parameter support for them in updates 1.50 & 1.60. Would they not have to include additional support for the model banks?
They would have to have support for them in the software, but who is to say it wasn't added in V2.0 or earlier? Programmers lay the seeds for future updates all the time. Or maybe they do a minor firmware rev with such an update. The message I am really trying to convey is they could come at any time.

And I see a post elsewhere:

"They completely reworked the UI for the MFX sections. They very closely resemble the Zenology style and flow."

Perhaps they are laying some groundwork.

Last edited by Spoff; 4 weeks ago at 11:36 PM..
Old 4 weeks ago
  #4454
Here for the gear
 
Paul71's Avatar
Sequencer got an undocumented improvement in 2.0:
All of the the record settings, except pattern length, now persist between takes YAY!

ARE YOU SURE is unfortunately alive and well in 2.0.

Drag and drop in PTN UTILITY mode is still needed.

Multisampling: should have been there.

Audio recording: should also have been there.

So now, like a dog, waiting for 2.25?
Old 4 weeks ago
  #4455
Here for the gear
 
Paul71's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTRAS View Post
I'll wait to buy the new Fantom until it has the features I need. I to had a Fantom-G and that workstation left me deeply unsatisfied with the unfinished sequencer. I'll either buy a keyboard understanding the current features are all I'm getting or I won't buy at all. I'm won't ever again buy anything based on a manufacturers future promises of updates.
I traded my G for the Fantom. It's a solid piece of control hardware with less layers to dive through. I absolutely love hardware sequencing so it's a shame, really. Don't get why Roland just can't put in the work. MPC X here we come.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #4456
Gear Maniac
 

One thing this update is going to do is to really open up the market for third-party sound packs with original samples.

Even though the update did not focus on the things I was looking for (except the sequencer editor) it looks like they did a good job and the the things they did are done well. Still have to read\view more. If the partial select is what I think it is then that is a small update that will be a huge help.

Kudos to Roland for continuing to update and it looks like more is coming.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #4457
Sadly the Aftertouch sensitivity change has zero effect on the 8. It unfortunately looks like it's a hardware design issue and that view is compounded by the output you get via MIDI too, you can see from the AT automation lane in any DAW if you record using it you only get On or Off values with very rarely a somewhere between value (which could just be from frame interpolation in the DAW itself).

They really shouldn't advertise it as a hammer action + AT when it doesn't have functioning AT. It's shocking that this made it through QA.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #4458
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdme_sadie View Post
Sadly the Aftertouch sensitivity change has zero effect on the 8. It unfortunately looks like it's a hardware design issue and that view is compounded by the output you get via MIDI too, you can see from the AT automation lane in any DAW if you record using it you only get On or Off values with very rarely a somewhere between value (which could just be from frame interpolation in the DAW itself).

They really shouldn't advertise it as a hammer action + AT when it doesn't have functioning AT. It's shocking that this made it through QA.
Odd - because hooked up to my Peak or Virus Ti2 modules, Fantoms aftertouch works a treat.

Also, One of the Facebook group hosts has the 8, and reported the FW change to Aftertouch took his 8 from useless to usable.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #4459
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmapp8306 View Post
We dont known the capability of the "3" bar "class compliant". Currently any loading/import/export is done by the "1". the the "3" were capable of that, then Id think we'd be doing it already.
The Type-A USB "Memory" plug accepts any MIDI over USB class compliant device on the JP-X/m.



Currently using a Beatstep Pro or a Keystep on mine.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #4460
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmapp8306 View Post
Odd - because hooked up to my Peak or Virus Ti2 modules, Fantoms aftertouch works a treat.

Also, One of the Facebook group hosts has the 8, and reported the FW change to Aftertouch took his 8 from useless to usable.
Then maybe it's a lemon, but my experience seems to be pretty common with this, in fact I've not heard of anyone with an 8 finding it controllable till now.

I just tried to see if the AT sensitivity setting does anything at all, and while at 0 it turns AT off completely anything above is identical in behavior, 1 is the same as 127, requires the same heavy pressure to trigger and then instantly shoots up to 100%.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #4461
Lives for gear
 
basehead617's Avatar
I think it's more than disappointing that there's no models supported in 2.0, I'd use the word 'shocking'..
Old 4 weeks ago
  #4462
Gear Guru
 
Derp's Avatar
Oh ****. New firmware update on the current Fantoms turns it into a proper sampler? Finally! Time to upgrade from my G6!
Old 4 weeks ago
  #4463
Lives for gear
 
IncarnateX's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
Oh ****. New firmware update on the current Fantoms turns it into a proper sampler? Finally! Time to upgrade from my G6!
Yes, Derp. There it was for us Fantom G fans. I have checked it out, and not surprisingly, Fantom's excellent filters treat my samples with utterly respect and care. Like my MPC One does already, but certainly some steps above. I have cancelled all thoughts about sale now. However, it is not like I am oh-so-grateful to Roland. Frankly, I think this should have been in order at release and not a year after. The sampler/looper was an abdomination by default. An insult to the Fantom legacy, and it has been a pita to miss the sample features for so long. I guess "better late than never" is the best I can say about it right now.

Cheers, mate.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #4464
Lives for gear
 

Man that Loopop video was the most boring and forced I've seen, I wonder what kind of deal he got to do that. He did mention no save all option as a con though.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #4465
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdme_sadie View Post
Then maybe it's a lemon, but my experience seems to be pretty common with this, in fact I've not heard of anyone with an 8 finding it controllable till now.

I just tried to see if the AT sensitivity setting does anything at all, and while at 0 it turns AT off completely anything above is identical in behavior, 1 is the same as 127, requires the same heavy pressure to trigger and then instantly shoots up to 100%.
FW 2.0 has been out a day.... His experience was AFTER 2.0. Any and all experience before that isnt relevant anymore.

Now - if most come back post 2.0 saying the same, fair enough.

Personally - I find its nto the Aftertouch strip thats the problem, its how thats converted for use, as external synths respond perfectly well in my experience (better than Phantoms own engine).

HOWEVER, Ive not hooked it up to a midi monitor to see whats coming out - how quickly it changes, or how hard you have to press before theres any change. if you did that, as you say, and the midi date shows its a very quick change, and only after a hard press - then thats the more accurate method of testing. As with any test though it needs duplicating by another user on another keyboard.

I am not the only one who has seen the AT work well with external synths but not so well with Fantom - and that was Pre 2.0
Old 4 weeks ago
  #4466
Lives for gear
 
Kraut's Avatar
 

At the Roland’s Workstation teams office:
Old 4 weeks ago
  #4467
Lives for gear
 

A question about storage.

Fantom supports memory sticks - as we use those to import and export and load expansions already.

Memory sticks scan be large (a lot larger than Fantoms internal flash) and are cheap(ish) memory.

Is there a problem with keeping all your expansions, and samples/multisamples on a stick, and just load the expansion and/or samples you need for a given studio project or live gig? then replace them when you need to?

I get its not ideal, but:

a. Do we/you NEED everything loaded at any time or is it just convenience.

b. Do we actually need support for hard drives (rather than sticks)

c. Do we need support for STREAMING from these devices?

These are more questions for those who use large sample libraries which I dont.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #4468
Here for the gear
 

In general you could just reload backups that you have saved to usb sticks. I'm not sure if the expansions can be backed up or would have to be re-installed each time you need them.

External disc streaming would be for very large multisamples. Since it isn't clear how or if RAM is used by the Fantom, it might not even be possible. Sometimes the purpose of streaming from disc is to overcome RAM limits. For example your RAM is 4 GB but your sample is 20 GB. It would be interesting to know the specifications and limits of what the Fantom can deal with in regards to user samples. I guess streaming would be a nice option either way.

They certainly made the sampling process pretty painless. Kind of disappointed they didn't implement time stretching. The MC-707 has it, and even the Fantom S and Fantom X had it.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #4469
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Dairy View Post
This looks cool, a live event in 5 hours...

For this special episode of Synth Talk, join a virtual Roland round table of synth experts, David Ahlund, Scott Berry, Ed Diaz, and Mark Watson as they bring you FANTOM tips and tricks. They’ll be talking updates, demoing the deepest features, and showing you features only the pros know.

If the user’s manual is good, there is no reason why a pro could know a single more feature than anyone else.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #4470
Lives for gear
 

Except:

Most people skim manuals at best.

Roland manuals are atrocious.

It's just a marketing video trying to get hits.
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 5212 views: 422904
Avatar for vampyreLegion
vampyreLegion 23 hours ago
replies: 242 views: 11622
Avatar for grabme
grabme 21 hours ago
replies: 3599 views: 190600
Avatar for pppch
pppch 9 minutes ago
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear
Forum Jump
Forum Jump