The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Roland Fantom 6- 7 -8
Old 16th September 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmapp8306 View Post
.... Ill STILL be disappointing if the existing problems arnt fixed
I think a lot of us "silent viewers" are in that same camp, Paul.
The sequencer is supposed to be one of the main modules in a Workstation and yet it's as if the programmer didn't actually have much experience composing songs on a sequencer - just kinda tried to duplicate the high points of Ableton Live and left for lunch.
Old 16th September 2020
Lives for gear

Sequencer wise, I want to see a long press of erase to depress it, then every note you tap on deletes... something like that, and no "are you sure" confirmation nonsense, jesus that needs to go BADLY.
Old 16th September 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Dairy View Post
Sequencer wise, I want to see a long press of erase to depress it, then every note you tap on deletes... something like that, and no "are you sure" confirmation nonsense, jesus that needs to go BADLY.
Agree on the "are you sure?" There should be a global command to turn that off.
Old 17th September 2020
Gear Maniac

So with speculation that Model Expansions could come to the Fantom shortly, I am curious as to what people who have heard both the Fantom and the Jupiter series in person think about the differences in the synth sounds. Being that the Jupiter series model expansions are using Zen Core behind the scenes, including additional Zen More parameters like age simulation that one cannot access through the interface of the Fantom, is there a big difference? Listening to demos the JX-8P is the most interesting to me, sounding different from the Fantom. And the SH-101 after that. But how do say the Jupiter-8 SuperNatural bank D sounds on the Fantom compare to the Jupiter-8 model ones on the Jupiters?
Old 17th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docflick View Post
Agree on the "are you sure?" There should be a global command to turn that off.
I am of a mind that "Are You Sure?" prompts should be replaced with an easily operated "Undo" feature/button. That way you are not slowed down when making/saving a change, but you can quickly recover from an "oh crap!" moment. Ideally, you'd have a few levels of Undo ... but that may be asking too much.
Old 17th September 2020
Lives for gear

Yes I feel there should have been a physical delete button that doubles as undo with shift.
Old 17th September 2020
Here for the gear

In the absence of any firmware update news...

Can anyone tell me if the Fantom is capable of producing spacey, ambient, vast, ethereal reverbs? The kind of thing the new Eventide Blackhole pedal (and it's older VST counterpart) can do.

I'm not expecting it to be anywhere near as good as a dedicated reverb effect pedal/plugin, but does it at least begin to handle that type of effect?

I don't yet own a Fantom, but hope to soon. In the meantime I'm considering buying the Eventide Blackhole. No point if the Fantom can take care of it though.

Thanks!
Old 17th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by benstat View Post
In the absence of any firmware update news...

Can anyone tell me if the Fantom is capable of producing spacey, ambient, vast, ethereal reverbs? The kind of thing the new Eventide Blackhole pedal (and it's older VST counterpart) can do.

I'm not expecting it to be anywhere near as good as a dedicated reverb effect pedal/plugin, but does it at least begin to handle that type of effect?

I don't yet own a Fantom, but hope to soon. In the meantime I'm considering buying the Eventide Blackhole. No point if the Fantom can take care of it though.

Thanks!
you can get a pretty cavernous reverb yes....

BUT I find it limiting in the fact its not on a tone by tone basis - its at the scene level (why or why isnt there a dedicated reverb in the MFX section) which means while each tone has a send level, you can only have 1 reverb type/setting to share between all your tones.
Old 17th September 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
you can get a pretty cavernous reverb yes....

BUT I find it limiting in the fact its not on a tone by tone basis - its at the scene level (why or why isnt there a dedicated reverb in the MFX section) which means while each tone has a send level, you can only have 1 reverb type/setting to share between all your tones.
Thank you. That's useful to know. So if I bought a Blackhole pedal and hooked it up to the Fantom's send/return, would that allow me to use it on a more selective basis (eg. per tone)?

That said, I may be OK with it on a per-scene basis anyway, so you might just have saved me £250!

Although it does sound really good...
Old 17th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thank you. That's useful to know. So if I bought a Blackhole pedal and hooked it up to the Fantom's send/return, would that allow me to use it on a more selective basis (eg. per tone)?

That said, I may be OK with it on a per-scene basis anyway, so you might just have saved me £250!

Although it does sound really good...
not really I dont think. your still sending the whole signal. You COULD use one of the sub outs, and just send single tones to that output I guess.

Did a quick vid. Im not a deep "reverb" man - so I just whacked some of the settings up full, which may well not be ideal lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5YJahqoeIU

There are quite a few settings to play with. Pre delay times, main reverb length (up to 99 seconds), density (of both), HF damp, EQ etc.
Old 17th September 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
Small point - the Fantom doesn't really have a send/return the way you're imagining it. The audio-ins offer very limited control. You'll likely need a mixer or a configurable multi in/out interface.
Old 17th September 2020
Lives for gear

Was going to say the same.
Old 17th September 2020
Gear Head

(also, just to second that it drives me crazy reverb isn't available as an MFX per tone)
Old 17th September 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
not really I dont think. your still sending the whole signal. You COULD use one of the sub outs, and just send single tones to that output I guess.

Did a quick vid. Im not a deep "reverb" man - so I just whacked some of the settings up full, which may well not be ideal lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5YJahqoeIU

There are quite a few settings to play with. Pre delay times, main reverb length (up to 99 seconds), density (of both), HF damp, EQ etc.
Wow, wasn't expecting a demo video!

Seems I owe you a beer or three, because you just saved me £250. The Fantom reverb sounds perfectly fine for my needs - at least for the time being.

Thank you for taking the time to make that demo video. It made all the difference
Old 17th September 2020
Lives for gear

Nicely done Paul!
Old 17th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lutefish View Post
(also, just to second that it drives me crazy reverb isn't available as an MFX per tone)
It's one of those odd Roland limitations that I really don't understand after all these years.

In actual practice, it barely comes up (as a genuine limitation) for me. Stacking reverbs tends to create a bit of mush. Still, for those few times I want it ... I want it.

I've resigned myself to buying a couple of outboard FX units. I have a Collider for my Prophet REV2, which effectively fixes all of that instrument's FX shortcomings. I'll likely buy another one for the Fantom, and hook it up to the SUBOUT1 outs ... perhaps a TC Plethora X5 for SUBOUT2.
Old 17th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZT Scheer View Post
It's one of those odd Roland limitations that I really don't understand after all these years.

In actual practice, it barely comes up (as a genuine limitation) for me. Stacking reverbs tends to create a bit of mush. Still, for those few times I want it ... I want it.
Indeed - if your in a full mix. What I want though is several different tones, across several different zones that I toggle with switch groups for a song. I play one one per scene live.

if I have a Piano part, a strings part, a synth lead etc - they all need different reverbs NOT just different amounts of the same reverb.

f I was recorded/sequencing on Fantom it wouldnt be an issue - youd use one reverb across all parts to "glue" it. Live though - with different sounds not played together it does need multiple reverbs.
Old 17th September 2020
Quote:
Did a quick vid. Im not a deep "reverb" man - so I just whacked some of the settings up full, which may well not be ideal . . .
Very nice, Paul! Cool set-up. Looks like you're also a fan of the Behringer line-mixers (I have two!). Not sure what they improved in the "V2" version (I have the "V1s"); anyway, they do have lot of inputs.
Old 18th September 2020
Here for the gear

Do we know (either speculatively or officially) whether zen-core model expansions will be given for free or will they require the cloud subscription? I'm not a huge fan of paying Roland in perpetuity after shelling out for their flagship.
Old 18th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by yigh View Post
Do we know (either speculatively or officially) whether zen-core model expansions will be given for free or will they require the cloud subscription? I'm not a huge fan of paying Roland in perpetuity after shelling out for their flagship.
I don’t think we even know if they’d be coming at all, paid or not.
Old 18th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DStep ATL View Post
I don’t think we even know if they’d be coming at all, paid or not.
Exactly ... speculation abounds.
Old 18th September 2020
Gear Nut

Ver.2.00 ] SEP 2020
Please refer to the "FANTOM Version 2.00 Supplementary Manual" for detailed information in the [ Owner's Manuals ].

[ Additional Functions ]
KEYBOARD SAMPLE / MULTISAMPLE functions are provided.
A MICROSCOPE EDIT function has been added to the sequencer.
An AUTOMATION function has been added to PIANO ROLL EDIT.
A MAKER function has been added to SCENE CHAIN.
A SWAP function has been added to SCENE CHAIN.
TFX has been added to MAIN BUS.
Input MFX has been added to AUDIO IN.
A ZONE OUT ASSIGN screen has been added.
A WALLPAPER function has been added.
[ Functionality Improvements ]
A display function for the LIST screen has been added to SCENE CHAIN.
COPY, SWAP, and INT functions for SET have been added to SCENE CHAIN.
ZOOM EDIT is now selectable for MFX, IFX, and TFX.
ZOOM EDIT is now selectable for DRUM KIT EDIT.
Five types of ASSIGN parameters have been added to the S1 through S3 buttons.
ADVANCED has been added to ZONE INT/EXT CONTROL.
Transpose settings for each respective ZONE have been added.
KBD SAMPLE is now also selectable in FACTORY RESET, BACKUP, and RESTORE operations.
[ Bug Fix ]
The following bug was fixed.
In SCENE CHAIN, information fails to be displayed correctly when a SCENE is deleted from a SET.
Old 18th September 2020
Lives for gear

I have no idea what any of that means

No mention of models..
Old 18th September 2020
Here for the gear

For your convenience, here's the version 2.00 Supplementary Manual PDF:

https://static.roland.com/assets/med...00_eng01_W.pdf
Old 18th September 2020
Gear Nut

Only 2 GByte for the sum of EXZ expansions and user multisamples.
Attached Thumbnails
Roland Fantom 6- 7 -8-img_4448.jpg  
Old 18th September 2020
Here for the gear

Finally!

"Wallpaper Function Added"

Joking aside, firmware v2 seals the deal for me. Fantom 7 incoming ASAP.
Old 18th September 2020
At least it makes that memory usage clear now, which makes it easier to manage and know just what you can afford to install.

The best new feature for me is a small workflow one. Partial selection. It’s going to make tone editing and creation sooo much faster. Thanks Roland!

The multisampling looks pretty comprehensive but no mention of how to deal with round robins or randomized samples, given that they’re suggesting using zones for pressure layers. Ideally you want to have both pressure layers and round robins. Maybe I missed it in there on cursory glance, or maybe it’ll appear in a future update (fingers crossed).
Old 18th September 2020
Here for the gear

System Parameter -> Keyboard -> Aftertouch Sens

Before: 0-100
After: 0-127

"Sets the aftertouch sensitivity. The larger the value, the more sensitive that the aftertouch is. This should normally be set to 100."

Wonder if this will improve the flaky AT situation?
Old 18th September 2020
Gear Nut

With ALL EXZ Expansions and SN Acustic and Electric Piano the are 579 MByte for User MultiSamples :-)
Attached Thumbnails
Roland Fantom 6- 7 -8-free.jpg  
Old 18th September 2020
Lives for gear

Nothing really juicy in this update, a few nice things but in reality just bringing it closer to what should be already. This is basically FW 1.0, not 2.0.
📝 Reply