The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Roland Fantom 6- 7 -8
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickknack View Post
Quote me if Im wrong.

I sort of see the Fantom to work in conjunction with a laptop to get all
the new ZenCore sounds.

Get the subscription annually and get the latest tech and sounds.

Most people already have laptop.

Cheers
In that situation you don’t need a 4K synth as your controller. Roland cloud + laptop + any midi controller and you’re all set with a good chunk of change in your pocket and outside of the PHA keybed on the 8 likely a much better quality controller.

For the Fantom to be a good value proposition in this situation it makes more sense if the Fantom is the buy in with a tied in free Roland Cloud account to feed it models/sound packs.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Thats personal opinion. I think the Fantom 6/7 are among the best controllers available at present...BUT thats for how I use them.

I also dont think Roland would go that route, as there are still a lot of people that wont use a laptop live. In the studio shure.

I think one"problem" if you can call it that, with all this discussion - is were from different needs. Some are purply live players, some purely studio players. some are happy to mix soft and hard solutions, som earnt. Depending on your viewpoint there massively changes how you see Fantom - for what it is, can be, should be, whats good and bad, whats a priority to sort out and what its etc.

Finally - the reason for t3eh discussion on "speculation"...that we "dont know" is precisely BECAUSE we dont know. Without knowing, what else can you do but speculate. In some ways thats good - we may just give any "Roland eyes" some ideas they havent thought of.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Although the Fantom has a smallish screen I am loving the visual feedback.

This is the evolution of what the G8 was hopefully trying to be.

Cheers
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmapp8306 View Post
[...} I think one"problem" if you can call it that, with all this discussion - is were from different needs. Some are purply live players, some purely studio players. some are happy to mix soft and hard solutions, som earnt. Depending on your viewpoint there massively changes how you see Fantom - for what it is, can be, should be, whats good and bad, whats a priority to sort out and what its etc.
Absolutely right. Some are live players who want one set of requirements from the Fanton, others are more studio guys who need other things from it ... and some of us are both. So we want the absolute most the Fantom can possibly offer.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Alright Roland, it’s time to put up or shut up and drop that damn update!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoundTound View Post
Alright Roland, it’s time to put up or shut up and drop that damn update!
Can we let them finish Beta testing first - or do you want an update with bugs in it?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickknack View Post
Although the Fantom has a smallish screen I am loving the visual feedback.

This is the evolution of what the G8 was hopefully trying to be.

Cheers
“Smallish”? Try the Jupiter X/Xm display.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

There might be an announcement Friday.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZT Scheer View Post
There might be an announcement Friday.
I too have news of a new firmware this week
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benis67 View Post
I too have news of a new firmware this week
Now that would be super cool!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Fridays my Birthday....so that would be good
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

uhhhh....I cannot seem to get the fantom midi working with logic via USB...what I have tried: Installed USB driver, set the USB driver in the fantom to "Vendor"...I can see in the mac os audio midi setup the fantom is there...it shows up in the lists in logic, but when I play the keyboard none of the data seems to make it to the instrument inside logic...I feel like I am missing something super basic here... help?
Old 1 week ago
Good news on the firmware if true. Lets see what's in it.

@ once a roadie : Did you try disabling the channel button? It's in the bank of rotaries and sliders to the left of the screen, make sure that the button that sits between the slider and rotary for the first channel is disabled.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

you need the zone set to the correct channel logic is receiving first, and yo need that zone to be set to external - ie green. If its red Fantom isnt transmitting any MIDI data.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

There are rumors that the new Fantom firmware is imminent (tomorrow?)
My predictions: User Multisamples usable in the Zen-core chain, new SN Sounds and the first Model Expansions for Fantom. I am optimistic?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

If they havent fixed some of the controller aspects that dont work (stupid use of MSB/LSB/PC for external pitch changes for instance) - Ill be disappointing whatever they add.

Im definitely in the "fix whats not right before adding new functions" camp.

dont get me wrong, there are things Id love to see added - and theres things I wont use that many other want. Thats all fine, but FIX the issue first (or as well preferably).

It will be what it is - but as I say, they could add 4 ABM models, add multi sampling, add linear sequencing, add more SN sounds, add a tonewheel.... Ill STILL be disappointing if the existing problems arnt fixed.... consequently Im not optimistic... but Im still kind of excited to see where they DO do with development regardless.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Question re Fantom stereo line inputs

Hi all,

I don't have a Fantom yet, but will do pretty soon.

One thing I'm not clear on from the docs is how the 2 mono inputs work when you connect the left & right outputs from a single stereo synth.

Can the Fantom treat them as a combined stereo input, or will it always think of them as independent mono inputs?

IOW, can I just plug my stereo synth into the Fantom and not have to do things like pan each mono input hard left & right? I'm hoping for stereo 'plug and play'.

Hope that makes sense? I've been ITB for too long!

Thanks in advance,
Ben
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmapp8306 View Post
If they havent fixed some of the controller aspects that dont work (stupid use of MSB/LSB/PC for external pitch changes for instance) - Ill be disappointing whatever they add. ...
I'm assuming you mean patch changes. What specifically bothers you about the ability to use a 100% MIDI Specification compliant method of changing patches on external equipment?

How should it work, given that you dislike the current method?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head
While we're waiting for the update news, I wonder: how many of you use the Fantom in conjunction with other hardware synths, such as the Matrixbrute? Do you think Fantom's synth capabillities make the others redundant?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillLife7 View Post
While we're waiting for the update news, I wonder: how many of you use the Fantom in conjunction with other hardware synths, such as the Matrixbrute? Do you think Fantom's synth capabillities make the others redundant?
Zen core pairs great with analog.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head
Thanks. Would you buy something like the matrixbrute as a Fantom owner? Or maybe something smaller like the minilogue xd?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks. Would you buy something like the matrixbrute as a Fantom owner? Or maybe something smaller like the minilogue xd?
I definitely wouldn’t buy a Matrixbrute now that the Poly is coming out and isn’t much more expensive. The XD looks nice with its digital oscillator but I’ve only tried the OG minilogue. The ML has a sharp, cutting sound and leans on the harsher side (no disrespect). Personally I’d look for something less precise like the Matriarch or even the Behringer Pro One or Model D.

I really don’t think you can go wrong with the options available these days. It’s the golden dawn of synthesizers!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdme_sadie View Post
Good news on the firmware if true. Lets see what's in it. ...
I want to be clear that I know nothing for certain. I am just hearing all the same kinds of chatter from various sources that indicate a firmware update is imminent, with a couple of them saying "Friday is probably going to have some big news" ... or words to that effect.

I have my hopes up, but let''s not get too crazy about it.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

No effects video, Sensei?

Guess I can watch videos about the new FW, Roland had my board longer than I have at this point
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdme_sadie View Post
Good news on the firmware if true. Lets see what's in it.

@ once a roadie : Did you try disabling the channel button? It's in the bank of rotaries and sliders to the left of the screen, make sure that the button that sits between the slider and rotary for the first channel is disabled.
Hey - that was super helpful thanks...I have a new issue (if you can believe it)...I can now see logic blinking when I play the fantom, and I have a sound assigned in logic (logic viola), but I can't see where to pick up the audio output form the logic VI...that is I can't hear anything, or see a place to assign the audio of the logic instrument...any help appreciated...

-------
|||update: figured it out! never mind....I was routing the midi back out external instead of internal...|||
-------

Last edited by once a roadie; 1 week ago at 07:52 PM..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Dairy View Post
No effects video, Sensei? ...
It's coming ... still setting up the new "studio".
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
To me, the very best monosynths on the market are the Arturia MatrixBrute and Sequential PRO 3. Whichever sounds better is up to debate, but it's mostly a matter of having a third analog or third digital oscillator, filter choices, and analog versus digital effects. Oh, and MxB's amazing mod matrix, though the PRO 3 is no slouch. Also, if you can enjoy the Steiner Parker filter, the MxB has dual filters going on for two timbre sound.

I'm slightly more enamored with the PRO 3, slightly, but I'd love to have a MatrixBrute because it's as close to having a programmable modular synth as it gets. Except... that PolyBrute is almost the same thing but polyphonic, for just a little more.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm assuming you mean patch changes. What specifically bothers you about the ability to use a 100% MIDI Specification compliant method of changing patches on external equipment?

How should it work, given that you dislike the current method?
No - I specifically mean how it transmits pitch change messages to external zones.... It uses MSB/LSB/PC data which is sent on scene change. Problem is most synths dont have MSB/LSB/PC set up for pitch change on the number Roland use.... Integra works, RD2000 doesnt. No synth Ive tried works either.

RD2000 has the same problem HOWEVER there is a separate "keyboard" tab (different from Pitch) and you can also put a pitch offset there - which is applied to the key you press before any sound (internal) or midi note(external) is sent. The pitch change is applied on the RD before it leaves - which is what Fantom should do.

Its not the only problem with its control scheme, but its the biggest really IF you use any other sound sources with Fantom. If you dont then its a non issue.

Theres are limitations with the analogue filter as well.... why no LFO or even Envelope for it? however that not a "problem" rather than an omission. Ed Diaz is running with that so it might get added, it might not.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
me - I use a Virus Ti2 and a Peak - and am looking at an OB6 and Hydrasynth.

And no - they all do things the others cant, and non does everything.

Fantoms specific "ability" is to have a separate Filter, Pitch/Filter/Amp envelope and 2 LFOs for each. Most synths run all their oscolators through 1 filter - or best case 2. with Fantom you can have 4 - and actually 8 separate LFOs as well if you want.

HOWEVER, its Mod matrix is really poor actually. you CAN use pretty much any CC you like - so there is some control there - BUT your limited in your destinations and theres no separate Mod env..... (only Pitch, Amp and Filter - though you can use those if not needed int eh design of the tone).

As fort whatr Id buy personally.

Peak/Summit is great, so is the Virus (if its your thing) or Nords Lead 4 or A1. Irridium or Kyra and Hydrasynth also play well.

On the analogue side.... Minilogue (if 4 voice is enough), Prologue, Rev 2, OB6, P6, Poly Brute, UDO super 6.... All good options.

Then theres the Monosynths.... any of the Moogs, the Pro 2/3 and others.

Really rather depends what you want. The analogues all do the analogue thing, and Rev 2 and Polybrute have better mod matrix's. All the hybrid/digital ones do wavetables of some sort bar the Nord (I think) -some better than others and the Prologue/Minilogue have the "user" Osc which brings great 3rd party options.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
It's coming ... still setting up the new "studio".
Waiting.......

Its the one thing about the Fantom (and the FA before that... and the Fantom -S before that) that Im not sold on. I find it limiting in many ways. It can do a lot as well of course, but Im hoping for some incites for bits Ive missed.
📝 Reply