The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
New Roland Jupiter X / XM
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kja View Post
It didn't say to let you produce your own tracks before.. I read it twice in sure I would have remembered that.
Mmm, I'm pretty sure that was always there , unless maybe you saw the product pages (?) earlier than I did.

Anyway, while you can program arps, an arp is still not a sequencer. The first is controlled by your playing, the other by transport controls (start/stop, etc). There's really no sign of a sequencer being in there.
Old 1 week ago
With a Step Edit button there and 16 small multifunction buttons across the bottom, the most I expect to see is:
1) When a synth track is selected, you may be able to turn notes in the generated arp on/off
2) When the drum track is selected, you may be able to navigate through individual drum parts and steps in the generated sequence and turn them on/off (perhaps like preset tracks in the old BOSS DR drum machines). There are enough controls and display resolution to allow that.

To be clear, though, that’s a guess. I didn’t get to look that deeply at the multitrack performance aspects of the Xm. There certainly wasn’t anything like buttons for record (step or real-time), shuffle, etc.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsaintjohn View Post
The Boutiques may sound better, until I need that fifth note.
AMEN
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

If there were a sequencer, i’m sure it would have been mentioned in the product info.

There will be some bad arp workaround to get some drums going, but I doubt it will be a fleshed out xox type sequencer for different hits.

I’m still vaguely interested in the Xm, but with a System8, TR8s and Integra7 already at my side I just can’t get too excited.

It still looks like a lot of fun, though for me it’s simply too costly for what it would bring.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyBox View Post
So on Roland Japan's website they run a weekly email magazine with stories about people working at Roland and the development of their products. Last Thursday's issue was about the JPs and included an interview with the CEO Jun-ichi Miki (who lead the JPs development by my understanding).

I wasn't subscribed so I missed it. If anyone happens to have it it would be great if they could share it here.

They're going to say more about the JPs in next week's issue (mmm, suspicious), now that I'm subscribed I should receive that and will report what I find out.
Alright, received Part 2, which is focused on the JP-Xm. As far as functionality or tech goes haven't learned anything. I'm guessing there was more of that in part 1, which I don't have access to.

Regardless, my main takeaway is this, the core ideas behind JP-Xm (I'm using Google translate):
  • Stack up many vintage synths
  • Bring it out like a ukulele and recreate the studio with a single switch
  • Battery drive like a smartphone

To explain: this was a let's not worry about costs and make a dream synth kind of project, if "JUPITER" wasn't hint enough, part of the dream being a studio full of vintage gear, cause that's what excites synth fans.

As for the rest: apparently during a business trip in the USA, Roland's CEO (if I'm understanding correctly) was invited to a family drive in a car. They were packed tight, daughter had brought her ukulele, took it out and started to sing "The House of the Rising Sun". This I'm not mistaken:

That was the "This is it!" moment.

There's also a bit of you do everything with your smartphone when on the go vibe thrown in the mix, anyway. There are other anecdotes in there but nothing critical so I won't go into them.

I'll note that this in spirit very similar to Yamaha's reface. reface are vintage keyboards that can be casually be played like you would acoustic guitars. The JP-Xm is a vintage studio that can be carried around like a ukulele
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

The new products are a bit of an overlap I think. Maybe better in some ways and worst in others.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:

There's also a bit of you do everything with your smartphone when on the go vibe thrown in the mix, anyway. There are other anecdotes in there but nothing critical so I won't go into them.

I'll note that this in spirit very similar to Yamaha's reface. reface are vintage keyboards that can be casually be played like you would acoustic guitars. The JP-Xm is a vintage studio that can be carried around like a ukulele
Did he not realize that it would have been easier to pull out one of their Boutiques?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
With a Step Edit button there and 16 small multifunction buttons across the bottom, the most I expect to see is:
1) When a synth track is selected, you may be able to turn notes in the generated arp on/off
2) When the drum track is selected, you may be able to navigate through individual drum parts and steps in the generated sequence and turn them on/off (perhaps like preset tracks in the old BOSS DR drum machines). There are enough controls and display resolution to allow that.
just looking at these now, i'm guessing it has a step sequencer similar to the MC-707. (??) choose a note/chord or a drum sound and then choose the steps from the 16 buttons. they've got to be there for something.

i'd guess that the arp is just a live performance feature (has it been said otherwise?).

Quote:
To be clear, though, that’s a guess. I didn’t get to look that deeply at the multitrack performance aspects of the Xm. There certainly wasn’t anything like buttons for record (step or real-time), shuffle, etc.
there is a Step button, on both the X and Xm. a Scene button as well, which makes me think patches (two Parts?) are saved along with a sequence like on the 707.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
The JP-Xm is a vintage studio that can be carried around like a ukulele
Would that be the contrabass ukulele?

This keyboard is twice the size and weight of a Reface and who needs 5 channels when out and about?

This keyboard is just kind of... bizarre!
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuonacc View Post
there is a Step button, on both the X and Xm. a Scene button as well, which makes me think patches (two Parts?) are saved along with a sequence like on the 707.
As I said (you quoted me saying it), there is a Step Edit button. But I suspect that all that's going to do is show lights for the activated steps of the currently selected part.

Believe me, I'd love to have a step sequencer there along with the other features. But as others have said, I think that if there was a full-fledged sequencer there, they'd be touting it in their own marketing.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

It may be for step modulation too
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by maisonvague View Post
It's CUTE! KAWAII ne?!?!
Quote:
Originally Posted by syntonica View Post
Chibi-Jupiter zo!
そうですね。(^-^)

Jupi-chan

However, there's hefty price tag for all that cuteness. But the portability of it speaks to me too - recently I thought that it would be nice to have self-contained portable synth. I think I'll end up getting RefaceDX for that purpose.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
As I said (you quoted me saying it), there is a Step Edit button. But I suspect that all that's going to do is show lights for the activated steps of the currently selected part.

Believe me, I'd love to have a step sequencer there along with the other features. But as others have said, I think that if there was a full-fledged sequencer there, they'd be touting it in their own marketing.
lol, you sure did. i was too focused on the later statement.

just guessing... i'm not thinking that it would be a "full-fledged" sequencer, that's not quite what i'd call the one on the 707 or System-8. it does look like it has what it would need to do this. i need to look closer, i'm not sure why the arp would be edited like this but not a sequence. they must at least have a programmable sequencer for the drum track, no?

you've got a point in that they would probably have shown this by now if it were the case.
Old 1 week ago
In hindsight, I'm kicking myself now for not having pressed the Step Edit button to see what happened. Or maybe I did, and that's the moment when it all fell apart into chaos.

Even worse, in looking over the handful of Xm videos posted so far, no one else seems to press that button either I should just post a question to Gattobus on his video. He spent time with it (an early version, though), so he might be able to clear it up.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

yeah, and David pretty much skipped over the question on the Sonic State video (intentionally or not). i'm actually more confused now after watching the videos. i think it sounded pretty nice when David was using it.

don't like the styling on the Xm, but the X is one gorgeous synth.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I think this is one of the strangest synth roll outs in a long time. Why is the Xm sooooooo arcane? I’ve watched all of the videos and I have yet to understand its functionality. The only thing I’ve gathered is that it’s overpriced and this is backfiring on Roland to release such a (possibly) specialized synth with a (questionable) name that includes Jupiter in it at an (arguably) absurd price point without any further information. It only feeds speculation and expectations. If it’s so special, roll it out with ample demos, documentation, and specs. That said I ordered the 707 because, while there are still many questions, at the very least I know what it is and I’m pretty confident of its potential. The Xm? I’m utterly perplexed at its existence.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by S h a w View Post
I kinda agree with that. Nord essentially priced themselves out of the synth business. Their sound was decent enough, but the feel of key bed didn't match the price tag.
Apart from the synths they still sell.

I'm happy to pay a bit more for stuff that is constructed more ethically.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

In some of the yt videos was mentioned that the Jupiter X/m has a Step- LFO !

I think this is the reason for the Step- Button to be there and not because of a sequencer.

If there would be a sequencer in the Jupiter x Roland would have mentioned that in the beginning.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

What I am curious about is , whether the Jupiter X/m has an own sound character (own sound engine) for itself ?

As far as I know it "emulates" this vintage Roland Synths of yersterday and can do four simultaneous...

I love my System 8 Synth, but to be honest I'm using the (Jupiter 8/ Juno / etc.) plug-outs very rarely and mainly use the System 8 engine,
just because I like its sound that much.

So it would be nice if the new Jupiters would bring also someting new to the table.....
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

i think this would have been way better for the Filter section:

(i should have swapped the positions of the Type and Key Follow knobs.)

looks like one hell of a synth though.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
The JP-Xm has a "lapsynth" format similar to the reface, minilogues, microKORGs, JD-Xi, MiniNova, etc, but has more power, more portability, more versatility, and more serious build than any of them. I like these kind of "lapsynths" but they're aimed at mid/entry level, leading to compromises, a lot which are avoided here. "Professional" is a loaded term, but that's the vibe.

You know it's serious when there's an headphone jack in the back AND on the front
AND balanced XLR connectors!

The pro-vibe of the Xm is appealing, I have to say—not as a projection to others like “Hey, look at me. I’m a pro. I use pro gear” but for myself.

It’s inspiring to use gear with a high-end build quality. Cheap stuff might get the job done—possibly even better—but sometimes it’s not about the destination but about the journey, you know?

I’ve always liked the expression “Nice ride!” when complimenting someones car. The quality of the ride matters—to me.

(It’s funny how often those two words “to me” or “for me” get left out in these discussions.)

My general rule is that any new gear purchase must bring something new to the table that isn’t covered by my other gear. (Although, Gearslut that I am, I do break that rule from time to time. ) Surprisingly, the JUPITER-Xm would bring a lot!

So, I'll likely be getting one. I don’t think I’ll preorder though. At least not yet.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuonacc View Post
i think this would have been way better for the Filter section:

(i should have swapped the positions of the Type and Key Follow knobs.)

looks like one hell of a synth though.
I'm curious why they designed it like they did. It would be interesting to read a transcript of the planning meetings. At the moment, I don't see the advantage of dials for cutoff and resonance as opposed to sliders. Maybe it's to strengthen the notion of modeling other synths (Moog and Sequential) with that filter (both of which are known to use dials).

In any case, yes, the Jupiter-X looks stunning! I really like how they used retro LEDs for the patch (scene) numbers, and placed the small LCD off to the side where you can forget about it until you need it.

Baloran did that with The River. With so much screen focus in other aspects of my life (computer, phone, etc) it's nice sometimes not to have one front and center on my synth.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm curious why they designed it like they did. It would be interesting to read a transcript of the planning meetings. At the moment, I don't see the advantage of dials for cutoff and resonance as opposed to sliders..
Rotary controls can be manipulated with greater precision than linear ones. This is why I by far prefer rotaries for frequency controls which are "more critical" than e.g. levels. I like some sliders on a panel to break it up visually, and they're cool for levels especially.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep6 View Post
In some of the yt videos was mentioned that the Jupiter X/m has a Step- LFO !

I think this is the reason for the Step- Button to be there and not because of a sequencer.

If there would be a sequencer in the Jupiter x Roland would have mentioned that in the beginning.
The new Fantom has a Step LFO so this is likely the answer. In the Fantom you can edit the value of each step +/- as well as shape of the curve. Seems like a Zen-Core standard feature.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear
Let’s talk Connectivity.

Does the Bluetooth implementation allow for simultaneous bi-directional transmission of stereo audio and at least 5 channels of MIDI? If so, that’s ground breaking!

Those here without an iPad please say Ahy. I suspect we’ll hear crickets. With a robust Bluetooth implementation and your ‘device’, Roland may have decided Yamaha are on the right track with Montage – put your sequencer in an outboard box and dedicate real estate, processor cycles, and development time into the ‘instrument’ and not the ‘controller’. Would I prefer some version of sequencing in the box – sure. But compromises are always difficult and necessary decisions. If I could connect to my software box wirelessly… hmmm

Thinking in these terms, now I have (simultaneously) a completely wireless Roland Rompler, three iterations of their VA, drums, and an audio interface in my studio, couch, or backpack with some AI play along just for fun.

Let’s say I’m pie-in-the-sky and asking Bluetooth to do too much. Here’s the bigger question:

Is this a Class Compliant device?

If not – UGH! What’s the point of portability if we must use a Roland audio driver to get digital audio I/O? That is a truly unfortunate compromise. My iPad is with me at ALL the times, not my laptop and certainly not my desktop :-0

Lastly – I’ve read every part of this thread and listened to all the demos so far available. The specs are interesting but to date sound is a yawn. I’m guessing / hoping this was a rush to present at Knobcon and better days are ahead.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Alright, received Part 2, which is focused on the JP-Xm. As far as functionality or tech goes haven't learned anything. I'm guessing there was more of that in part 1, which I don't have access to.

Regardless, my main takeaway is this, the core ideas behind JP-Xm (I'm using Google translate):
  • Stack up many vintage synths
  • Bring it out like a ukulele and recreate the studio with a single switch
  • Battery drive like a smartphone

To explain: this was a let's not worry about costs and make a dream synth kind of project, if "JUPITER" wasn't hint enough, part of the dream being a studio full of vintage gear, cause that's what excites synth fans.

As for the rest: apparently during a business trip in the USA, Roland's CEO (if I'm understanding correctly) was invited to a family drive in a car. They were packed tight, daughter had brought her ukulele, took it out and started to sing "The House of the Rising Sun". This I'm not mistaken:

Love that song! Brought it on a trip to Europe with my parents back in the ‘70’s, I distinctly remember playing it while we were driving along the coast of then Yugoslavia. Thanks for the memories.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm curious why they designed it like they did. It would be interesting to read a transcript of the planning meetings. At the moment, I don't see the advantage of dials for cutoff and resonance as opposed to sliders. Maybe it's to strengthen the notion of modeling other synths (Moog and Sequential) with that filter (both of which are known to use dials).

[...]
They've been using a cutoff knobs since the SH-32 or so, likely for the reasons DrJustice gave. So it's not a JP specific choice.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJustice View Post
Rotary controls can be manipulated with greater precision than linear ones. This is why I by far prefer rotaries for frequency controls which are "more critical" than e.g. levels. I like some sliders on a panel to break it up visually, and they're cool for levels especially.
Quote:
They've been using a cutoff knobs since the SH-32 or so, likely for the reasons DrJustice gave. So it's not a JP specific choice.
That would make sense. I also prefer knobs--especially big ones--for cutoff--my favorite being the one on Manhattan Audio's SVVCF. It's huge--and glorious to tweak. Then, for envelopes, I prefer sliders.

My last new Roland synth was a JP-8000. So I've been out of the loop for awhile. I hadn't realized they switched to using knobs for cutoff/reso.

I have a strong association with sliders and Roland synths since, well, that's what all of mine have.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by billewis View Post
Let’s talk Connectivity.

Does the Bluetooth implementation allow for simultaneous bi-directional transmission of stereo audio and at least 5 channels of MIDI? If so, that’s ground breaking!

Those here without an iPad please say Ahy. I suspect we’ll hear crickets. With a robust Bluetooth implementation and your ‘device’, Roland may have decided Yamaha are on the right track with Montage – put your sequencer in an outboard box and dedicate real estate, processor cycles, and development time into the ‘instrument’ and not the ‘controller’. Would I prefer some version of sequencing in the box – sure. But compromises are always difficult and necessary decisions. If I could connect to my software box wirelessly… hmmm

Thinking in these terms, now I have (simultaneously) a completely wireless Roland Rompler, three iterations of their VA, drums, and an audio interface in my studio, couch, or backpack with some AI play along just for fun.

Let’s say I’m pie-in-the-sky and asking Bluetooth to do too much. Here’s the bigger question:

Is this a Class Compliant device?

If not – UGH! What’s the point of portability if we must use a Roland audio driver to get digital audio I/O? That is a truly unfortunate compromise. My iPad is with me at ALL the times, not my laptop and certainly not my desktop :-0

Lastly – I’ve read every part of this thread and listened to all the demos so far available. The specs are interesting but to date sound is a yawn. I’m guessing / hoping this was a rush to present at Knobcon and better days are ahead.
Ahy? I don't have an iPad*.

Connectivity is something I'm curious about too. If I base myself on other current Roland products here's what I expect:

For USB:
- There's a MIDI class compliant mode
- Audio requires Roland's driver
For Bluetooth:
- Only receives Bluetooth audio
- Not compatible with Bluetooth headphones (confirmed in a Q&A on Roland Japan's website)
- Bluetooth MIDI compatibility depends on the app
- Depending on the app it may be possible to use Bluetooth MIDI and Audio at the same time, but there would be quite a bit of latency.
If I'm correct then this is no ideal scenario, but nevertheless something I can work with.

*I'm planning to buy one in the coming months thought.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I would guess the Bluetooth is not unlike that which debuted on the A01K, updated, of course. I've found it quite useful, but it takes some setup and can be wonky, and very app-dependent.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search