The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Roland MC-707 & MC-101 Grooveboxes
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head
It's probably me but I can not find an arpeggiator in the technical specifications. I am quite surprised because it seemed to me a necessary function.

Manual said : "Step input mode automatically advances to the next step each time you press and release a pad. This is a convenient way to quickly enter an arpeggio pattern." but nothing more.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

64 step sequencer and no song mode. Meh! The days of the real cool grooveboxes are gone. Glad I just bought a used RM1x to return to the roots where patterns were parts of a bloody song.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by IncarnateX View Post
64 step sequencer and no song mode. Meh! The days of the real cool grooveboxes are gone. Glad I just bought a used RM1x to return to the roots where patterns were parts of a bloody song.
The video stated 8 bar patterns and I hope there‘s also flam?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict
As you can see Roland DOES listen to it's users. It took on board all the TR8S users' feature requests and implemented them..... in another box, that costs a grand.

It looks great but I just don't think I can afford it.

Maybe if it sequenced and output CC, but it doesn't.
It's a similar case to the TR8S - everyone complained because they compared it to other samplers like the Digitakt and Octatrack. When really - it's a Drum Machine.
Same here - Roland aren't marketing the MC707 as a sequencer, it's a groovebox! Why would it need powerful sequencing features...

Anyway - I'm def keen for the MC101 I've been wanting a battery operated composer and there's none on the market, plenty of little noise makers but none have midi out.
I'd be very surprised if the 101 has all the tone editing options that 707 has, becuase I've had a look at the reference menu and that 707 is Deep!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Yeah, 64 steps and no song mode, but you can move your song parts in real time by using the scenes I guess…
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

In a video there are fast notes. And they say 8 bars. So it‘s 8x16=128 steps with flam.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie munro View Post
that or read the manual
You mean the leaflet that passes as a token "user guide" in Roland land.
It's almost as if they plan to sell the actual manual later...

Here's what the "user guide " has to say on the 707's MIDI capabilty. I kid you not:

Quote:
MIDI port
Connect these to external MIDI equipment to transmit and receive MIDI messages.
There is zero further mention of sending out MIDI.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treebase DMX View Post
Read the Reference Menu.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

I wonder how this will compete with the 1010 blackbox. I love mine! It's a great piece of gear, and these Roland grooveboxes also look amazing. Wonder if there are enough differences to keep both.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

but I already made a decision to get the Akai Force
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eigenwert View Post
The video stated 8 bar patterns and I hope there‘s also flam?
It has flam.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

How many effects can be used simultaneously?
Also, is there a programmable arp?
No song mode?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

2 mins in..
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treebase DMX View Post

Here's what the "user guide " has to say on the 707's MIDI capabilty. I kid you not:

There is zero further mention of sending out MIDI.
Actually the reference manual is what you want, the user manual is a silly quick start guide

There's also the midi implementation which tells part of the story

Planning to sell the manual later they may even come up with an acronym for that process
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
well yes it is a dance machine, what else would it be considering the manufacturer and particular lineage in discussion?

no chopping as of now but i think it is fair to expect it soon, you can seq: your own samples - you should probably rewatch vids slower if you are missing that detail, i expect if you keep your eyes open it will all flood out over the next day or so showing all features inc sampling internal and external audio which it can do - i am half sure the roland YT channels shows internal sampling in one of its vids

that or read the manual
Oh yea, I checked it out. He doesn’t show actually sampling, he shows the finished wave form though. He then goes on to say he couldn’t figure out a way to sequence the sample, and that it’s probably easier just to “import” samples to use. Always the computer handhold. No evidence it’s possible yet. There’s another video of a couple guys saying it doesn’t support one shot sample launching too...or multitrack audio recording loops on the 8 tracks... huh?
LOL.
True, as more videos surface I’m sure specific functions will be more deeply explored. For me it just gets agitating for capable creative gear showcasing sounds that sound like a one button push combi on Korg workstation. I love groove boxes, just can’t stand club music.

Good idea, I need to pull up the manual and have a read.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

i take everything back. or almost. i'm stil not sure about the styling. there's something ugly about it. but what it does seems great. definitely giving elektron a run for it's money. in light of me watching some more videos, especially the ones on the roland channel, i think the asking price is ok. gonna wait for a discount though. but the machine seems awesome. it's like a best of other grooveboxes workflows and some daw stuff sprinkled in there.

the 101 might have the same engine under the hood but the price and form factor makes it that to me it's not even worth looking at.

but the 707 is a clear winner in my book. hopefully korg will bring something to the game this year or namm 20202
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
Actually the reference manual is what you want, the user manual is a silly quick start guide

There's also the midi implementation which tells part of the story

Planning to sell the manual later they may even come up with an acronym for that process
The midi implementation is up there too, but it's a bit disappointing if you think this will be a decent sequencer.

Weirdly there's no reference menu or midi implementation for the MC101 yet
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by syntonica View Post
BobEats showed sampling from internal and external sources.

Edit: They call it a Looper, but the sampling isn't live, if that's what you are looking for.
Man, I just want to record eight audio tracks and be able to loop and mix them and use the effects for a real-time composition. And also use samples recorded into the machine in the sequencer. Bo couldn’t figure out how to assign samples to the sequencer... I’ve got my doubts.
Using custom samples for drum programming is essential. If i hear one more TRS four on the floor drum beat with those Roland sounds ima choke someone out. LOL
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

I am not impressed. Price tag is quite high, but what do we get? Features packed sequencer as octatrack? Fancy synth engine? Song mode? Or what? It looks plastic-ish, only 4 knobs to tweak the synth... I do not get the hype.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eigenwert View Post
In a video there are fast notes. And they say 8 bars. So it‘s 8x16=128 steps with flam.
Still ain’t a song in my book. One should think a song mode is the most easy and processor friendly feature to implement but no, the “what do you need a song mode for when you got a PC daw?” -approach just goes on and on.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyfan View Post
Man, I just want to record eight audio tracks and be able to loop and mix them and use the effects for a real-time composition. And also use samples recorded into the machine in the sequencer. Bo couldn’t figure out how to assign samples to the sequencer... I’ve got my doubts.
Using custom samples for drum programming is essential. If i hear one more TRS four on the floor drum beat with those Roland sounds ima choke someone out. LOL
just get ot, this is what it designed for +sample locks and tons of hidden featurers
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcearl View Post
well not to get into an never ending GS discussion but the Live can be as feature full as you want it...Ive never touched the step sequencer or looper...thats where maybe an MC would come in. But the 707 cant play any of the 10 SRX cards I have fully sampled either, nor does it have round robin capabilities Im guessing. If you having owned the Live or an MC its harder to make comparisons, if you have and it didnt work for you I hope this does, I know it took me an age to end my groovebox quest
I have the Integra , would be great if one could load in Sound Banks wirelessly in 707 and Edit
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Oh yea, I checked it out. He doesn’t show actually sampling, he shows the finished wave form though. He then goes on to say he couldn’t figure out a way to sequence the sample, and that it’s probably easier just to “import” samples to use. Always the computer handhold. No evidence it’s possible yet. There’s another video of a couple guys saying it doesn’t support one shot sample launching too...or multitrack audio recording loops on the 8 tracks... huh?
LOL.
True, as more videos surface I’m sure specific functions will be more deeply explored. For me it just gets agitating for capable creative gear showcasing sounds that sound like a one button push combi on Korg workstation. I love groove boxes, just can’t stand club music.

Good idea, I need to pull up the manual and have a read.
I totally understand the frustration and I assume you think like most of us, if it's my product I'm like right:

Main features: X , y and z, video guys make sure to get them covered on day one. Don't F it up

I've read the manual today and watched a few vids, I reckon I've a handle on its skill set but I've still got a way to go, the next few days will answer many questions for us all I reckon bud
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian N View Post
i take everything back. or almost. i'm stil not sure about the styling. there's something ugly about it. but what it does seems great. definitely giving elektron a run for it's money. in light of me watching some more videos, especially the ones on the roland channel, i think the asking price is ok. gonna wait for a discount though. but the machine seems awesome. it's like a best of other grooveboxes workflows and some daw stuff sprinkled in there.

the 101 might have the same engine under the hood but the price and form factor makes it that to me it's not even worth looking at.

but the 707 is a clear winner in my book. hopefully korg will bring something to the game this year or namm 20202
Agreed

And I would dearly love korg to get back in it and step up in the groovebox game
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottfrost View Post
So is this a tr8s upgrade on steroids? It has all the same kits...?
no, it's not. it doesn't have the same kits the TR-8S does.

the TR-8S, by function, is a drum machine.

the MC's are grooveboxes. there are drum sounds, but they also have synth sounds, a diff workflow, etc.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pechnatunk View Post
The midi implementation is up there too, but it's a bit disappointing if you think this will be a decent sequencer.

Weirdly there's no reference menu or midi implementation for the MC101 yet
I know as I read it today because my first question this morning was about midi out , it has some but not all.

What matters is how it allows you to use what it has, aside from that this is a groovebox rather than a full blown seq: and people should really focus on that aspect, Roland aren't exactly lying about it so as with the sampling it's to be accepted as a tack on, a nice to have, it's a limitation that will be worked with, or against
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickZoll View Post
just get ot, this is what it designed for +sample locks and tons of hidden featurers
I’ve never had the pleasure of working with an Octotrack, I’m not intimidated by learning the machine, it seems like a very Swiss Army knife piece of gear. Looks cool too. However, from more than a few reliable sources, it seems the sound engine starts to get pretty mucky with dealing with lots of audio streaming from its main outputs, and from demos on YouTube, I have serious doubts it would translate my clean guitar sound, stacked synths and drums, vocals, and sometimes fuzz guitar tones on a set of stereo outputs. On paper it sounds unreal, and for electronic and experimental music, which I’m interested in, sublime even. I think I’m needing a more high fidelity machine for my needs though.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I’ve never had the pleasure of working with an Octotrack, I’m not intimidated by learning the machine, it seems like a very Swiss Army knife piece of gear. Looks cool too. However, from more than a few reliable sources, it seems the sound engine starts to get pretty mucky with dealing with lots of audio streaming from its main outputs, and from demos on YouTube, I have serious doubts it would translate my clean guitar sound, stacked synths and drums, vocals, and sometimes fuzz guitar tones on a set of stereo outputs. On paper it sounds unreal, and for electronic and experimental music, which I’m interested in, sublime even. I think I’m needing a more high fidelity machine for my needs though.
it has 4 balanced outs, not 2 stereo outs

i dare say a lot of people who moan are not users (proven in any E thread) and those that are users are probably ignoring the assignables (accidentally or not) and using bloody unbalanced cables into unbalanced inputs and ramming max amplitude out of the main mix filled with fx and stretching algorithms

the cue outs are fantastic as a pair of outs but also they can be configured to be pretty clever, i urge you if you have the slightest interest to try and please make up your own mind rather than following internet garble about sound quality, for every argument against here is another 15 that are for, run the OT @ 24bit and utilise it's engine and hardware I/O properly and you will encounter no bad sound

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search