The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Roland MC-707 & MC-101 Grooveboxes
Old 1 week ago
  #751
Lives for gear
 
Nice187's Avatar
So, the MC 101 has basic synthesis options, but can you save your own new sounds?

Now, I’m reading the manual, mmm… the MC 101 has a tasty sequencer!

Up to 128 steps, and the ability to specify easily the resolution of the steps 1/8, 1/16, 1/32 and triplets. No song mode, but you can save up to 8 scenes and to recall them instantly, in real time performance. Each scene of course contains a combination of clips. That means that you can prepare at least 1 or 2 songs for your live performances if you want.

Additionally the ‘knob movements’ can be saved in the internal memory while you’re performing with the sequencer, so it has some sort of motion sequencer type of thing.

The only grey area, which I can’t figure out, is Roland’s description about the type of sounds that you can use on each of the 4 tracks available. Page 16 on the manual:


''The MC-101 has four track types: TONE, DRUM, DRUM + COMP, and
LOOPER.

Up to eight track types can be freely combined in each track.

Depending on the track type, there is a maximum number that can be
used simultaneously.

Track type Explanation

TONE
This is a synthesizer sound engine.
It can also be used as a pitched sampler.

DRUM

This is a drum sound engine.
It can also be used as a sampler.

DRUM + COMP
This is a drum sound engine with compressor (maximum
one track).

LOOPER
This is a sampling looper that supports time stretch.
It supports loading samples from sd card''
Old 1 week ago
  #752
Gear Head
 

101 vs 707

I did a quick compare between the ref manuals and this is what I think is possible on the 101 and what is not:
  1. 8 scenes
  2. track mute mode
  3. pad mute mode
  4. no chord mode
  5. user sample on drum pad (only one wave per pad)
  6. no indepth drum track editing:
    • no partial edit
    • no editing of the filter, envs (only amp adr), (step)lfos
  7. no user samples on tone track
  8. no indepth tone track editing:
    • no partial edit
    • no sound settings
    • no structure
    • no ptl range
    • no ptl ctrl
    • no scale tuning
    • no editing of the osc, filter, envs (only amp adr), (step)lfos
    • no matrix control
  9. scatter edit
  10. no advanced scatter edit

I think I should contact my dealer and tell them I want to cancel my (already paid for) order. Or go for the 707?
Old 1 week ago
  #753
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie munro View Post
I downloaded all that on day one
Why did you not drop the bomb when you got that manual? Or did you not notice that the machines were completely different. Meanwhile Roland was telling everybody that the functionality was the same, except for the user interface and trackcount
Old 1 week ago
  #754
Lives for gear
 
Nice187's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by syah View Post
Why did you not drop the bomb when you got that manual? Or did you not notice that the machines were completely different. Meanwhile Roland was telling everybody that the functionality was the same, except for the user interface and trackcount
Sure, the MC 101 has basic synthesis options and the MC 707 has more advanced features, but both units have the same preset sounds and the same sequencer, with exception the number of tracks.
Old 1 week ago
  #755
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nice187 View Post
Sure, the MC 101 has basic synthesis options and the MC has more advanced features, but both units have the same preset sounds and the same sequencer, with exception the number of tracks.
Yes, it can play the same sounds/presets, but you hardly can create your own. I wonder if the file format is even the same, so presets can be exchanged between the 101 and 707.
Old 1 week ago
  #756
Hrrrnk, I really wanted the 101 because: portable | battery powered | compact | good spread of sounds

but

I don't want to get it if I will get frustrated about the things I cannot do. No chord mode is a real shame in terms of capability.

but

I also need to think about how I'm going to use it. Am I going to chain it up to a bunch of other synths, Beatstep/Keystep driven stuff, and thrash patterns out live? If so, do I care about not being able to use song mode if I'm not even going to use it. It could very well be an "on paper" criticism, rather than my own practical criticism.

I feel that this is something I'm going to see a bunch more user videos on. ~£430 is being cited as "cheap", but it isn't that cheap.
Old 1 week ago
  #757
Lives for gear
 
rasseru's Avatar
Aha!

Important for potential 707 users - you can save your own 'presets' - you just have to import a clip, you have access to all clips at all times on the SD card

i knew i saw it there somewhere - pg 24 or 25
Old 1 week ago
  #758
Lives for gear
 
jbuonacc's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by syah View Post
[*]no indepth drum track editing:
  • no partial edit
  • no editing of the filter, envs (only amp adr), (step)lfos
[*]no user samples on tone track
oh wow. it's like a wee toddler version.

Old 1 week ago
  #759
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nice187 View Post
TONE
This is a synthesizer sound engine.
It can also be used as a pitched sampler.
I guess that's no reality either. I have used loads of samplers in my life, but one without a sample selection? Could you call that a sampler? A live sampler maybe, but that also is not the case here.
Old 1 week ago
  #760
Lives for gear
 
jbuonacc's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by syah View Post
I guess that's no reality either. I have used loads of samplers in my life, but one without a sample selection? Could you call that a sampler? A live sampler maybe, but that also is not the case here.
you're like the lame uncle with the bad jokes. i can't believe people still feel they need to point this out.
Old 1 week ago
  #761
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuonacc View Post
you're like the lame uncle with the bad jokes. i can't believe people still feel they need to point this out.
Just some frustration about the Roland marketing and manual editors. I guess I'm not the only one. But thanks for the response
Old 1 week ago
  #762
Lives for gear
 
Jamie munro's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nice187 View Post
So, the MC 101 has basic synthesis options, but can you save your own new sounds?

Now, I’m reading the manual, mmm… the MC 101 has a tasty sequencer!

Up to 128 steps, and the ability to specify easily the resolution of the steps 1/8, 1/16, 1/32 and triplets. No song mode, but you can save up to 8 scenes and to recall them instantly, in real time performance. Each scene of course contains a combination of clips. That means that you can prepare at least 1 or 2 songs for your live performances if you want.

Additionally the ‘knob movements’ can be saved in the internal memory while you’re performing with the sequencer, so it has some sort of motion sequencer type of thing.

The only grey area, which I can’t figure out, is Roland’s description about the type of sounds that you can use on each of the 4 tracks available. Page 16 on the manual:


''The MC-101 has four track types: TONE, DRUM, DRUM + COMP, and
LOOPER.

Up to eight track types can be freely combined in each track.

Depending on the track type, there is a maximum number that can be
used simultaneously.

Track type Explanation

TONE
This is a synthesizer sound engine.
It can also be used as a pitched sampler.

DRUM

This is a drum sound engine.
It can also be used as a sampler.

DRUM + COMP
This is a drum sound engine with compressor (maximum
one track).

LOOPER
This is a sampling looper that supports time stretch.
It supports loading samples from sd card''
this is typical Roland manual world - they have rarely been different in my experience, the sp808 and 505 manuals made me grey when i was still relatively young

it is 4 tracks not 8, they screwed the manual as with the 707 manual they pulled is my guess

if using drum comp track you can only use 1 of them but you still have 3 other tracks to play with

if not using drum comp track you can have 4 drum tracks if you desire

you can have 4 looper tracks

you can have 4 tone tracks

you can have any mix you like but only ever 1 drum comp track

make sense?
Old 1 week ago
  #763
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by syah View Post
Yes, it can play the same sounds/presets, but you hardly can create your own. I wonder if the file format is even the same, so presets can be exchanged between the 101 and 707.
Just as I thought - it's a preset player.
They held out on the reference menu so the 707 would build it's hype.

Roland probably should have announced the MC101 first, then people would have accepted it for what it was - I'm still considering getting it because of it's portability - it still seems like a rad sketch pad.
And to be honest - there are actually more sound sculpting options on it than I expected.

I think it would be fully capable of playing tone and drum sounds that were created on the 707, and they will share a file format.
It's just the onboard editing that would be limited.

Surely the release of these two in-depth machines justifies an Aira Software editor suite for these and TR8S and more.
Old 1 week ago
  #764
Lives for gear
 
Jamie munro's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by syah View Post
I did a quick compare between the ref manuals and this is what I think is possible on the 101 and what is not:
  1. 8 scenes
  2. track mute mode
  3. pad mute mode
  4. no chord mode
  5. user sample on drum pad (only one wave per pad)
  6. no indepth drum track editing:
    • no partial edit
    • no editing of the filter, envs (only amp adr), (step)lfos
  7. no user samples on tone track
  8. no indepth tone track editing:
    • no partial edit
    • no sound settings
    • no structure
    • no ptl range
    • no ptl ctrl
    • no scale tuning
    • no editing of the osc, filter, envs (only amp adr), (step)lfos
    • no matrix control
  9. scatter edit
  10. no advanced scatter edit

I think I should contact my dealer and tell them I want to cancel my (already paid for) order. Or go for the 707?

their site https://www.roland.com/global/produc...pecifications/ says tone can use a sample , ignore the manual for now would be my advice

i think it is at the point where people will need to wait until users can actually thrash through the Roland B.S and bad English and say what is real and what is a bad typo or where they have copied spec pages from 707 to 101

what gets me is they initially said the engine is the same (technically it is) and just the interface is different, well if features are missing from the 101 that exist in 707 that says to me they are talking garbage and limiting the engine so why say it is the same? seems like suicide to me, so again, i think best to wait and allow users to confirm rather than believe their bad text

if i had prepaid as you have i would probably hold off or at least make sure of my return policy and nail the hell out of it when it arrives to be certain it does what you want
Old 1 week ago
  #765
Lives for gear
 
Nice187's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie munro View Post
this is typical Roland manual world - they have rarely been different in my experience, the sp808 and 505 manuals made me grey when i was still relatively young

it is 4 tracks not 8, they screwed the manual as with the 707 manual they pulled is my guess

if using drum comp track you can only use 1 of them but you still have 3 other tracks to play with

if not using drum comp track you can have 4 drum tracks if you desire

you can have 4 looper tracks

you can have 4 tone tracks

you can have any mix you like but only ever 1 drum comp track

make sense?
Thanks man, yeah Roland explanations are always Spartan …

So, if I can use 1 track for my drums and 3 tone tracks, this is cool because we can produce entire compositions with that way.

My gas level, now is in the red zone…
Old 1 week ago
  #766
Lives for gear
 
Jamie munro's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nice187 View Post

My gas level, know is in the red zone…
calm it, drink some elderflower

but yes, 1 drums and 3 tones and will be fine you just need to stay inside your 128 max polyphony which shouldn't be too difficult, filter choice halves polyphony iirc but even then 64 voices is a lot
Old 1 week ago
  #767
Here for the gear
 

Hi guys first post I am pretty excited about this box but have a few questions I hope you can help with.

Is it possible to play the on board sounds polyphonically with an external midi keyboard? If so is there is limit to the amount of notes? And are you limited to one octave like the pads? for example, I'd like to play a chord on a higher octave and bass notes down on a lower octave.

I see there is a lot of talk about no dedicated midi tracks. Does this mean it is possible in a round about way? If so how hard/easy is it?

Can I run a midi sequence into the MC 707 from a external synth, and it play it back? If so can I then turn this midi into audio with the looper functionalities on the fly?

Good to see new Roland hardware it seems a little pricey though I think it will be fairly well supported to justify the price and seems pretty deep already (please Roland give us an arpeggiator and song mode!)

Thanks.
Old 1 week ago
  #768
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by camus2 View Post
Software that doesn't even run on windows 8/10 or on the latest Mac OS. Never buy a Roland device that requires a software editor, like the MC808. And yes, this software was mandatory to edit all parameters.
It will probably become available @ Roland cloud at some point
Old 1 week ago
  #769
Here for the gear
Hey Guys,

I'm curious about the TB-303, JUNO-106 and SH-101 sounds on the MC's. I couldn't find any reviews on this. Could you?
Old 1 week ago
  #770
Lives for gear
 
Jamie munro's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdaddydisco View Post
Hey Guys,

I'm curious about the TB-303, JUNO-106 and SH-101 sounds on the MC's. I couldn't find any reviews on this. Could you?
nobody has covered that aspect yet, limited media is available, i am sure once buyers have it they/we will discuss these sounds if worthy
Old 1 week ago
  #771
Lives for gear
 

look at the tone category.. acoustic piano are accessed by a category search for "ac piano"

fwiw, anything synth based are not those..."synth polykey" would be my guess...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouvlakiSpace View Post
Yeah of course I downloaded the sound list pdf.
But I also had acoustic and electric pianos on my yamaha dx7 which were far from sounding like a real piano.
I am trying to understand if mc101 pianos are taken from multisampled ones or just from juno or jupiter synths and so made with oscillators.
There's still no video about them on internet.
Old 1 week ago
  #772
Lives for gear
 

historically...
roland grooveboxes have no "dedicated" midi tracks.. you create a midi track and it can either be sent to "internal", "external" or "both".

an external midi controller will be midi input for the active track..no restriction on polyphony..that is a sound engine spec, not a midi spec on the unit

from midi from an external synth you should be able to resample the 707 output, or slave the synth into the input and sample the synth output

all of the above was how ROland grooveboxes..808 & 909 would operate

..perhaps downloading the manual would be a good idea..

Quote:
Originally Posted by theorangechair View Post
Hi guys first post I am pretty excited about this box but have a few questions I hope you can help with.

Is it possible to play the on board sounds polyphonically with an external midi keyboard? If so is there is limit to the amount of notes? And are you limited to one octave like the pads? for example, I'd like to play a chord on a higher octave and bass notes down on a lower octave.

I see there is a lot of talk about no dedicated midi tracks. Does this mean it is possible in a round about way? If so how hard/easy is it?

Can I run a midi sequence into the MC 707 from a external synth, and it play it back? If so can I then turn this midi into audio with the looper functionalities on the fly?

Good to see new Roland hardware it seems a little pricey though I think it will be fairly well supported to justify the price and seems pretty deep already (please Roland give us an arpeggiator and song mode!)

Thanks.
Old 1 week ago
  #773
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdaddydisco View Post
Hey Guys,

I'm curious about the TB-303, JUNO-106 and SH-101 sounds on the MC's. I couldn't find any reviews on this. Could you?
i guess they will be the same or similar to the Axial sound expansions for the Integra.. you can check sound demos on Axial page
Old 1 week ago
  #774
Lives for gear
 
cogsy's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie munro View Post
their site https://www.roland.com/global/produc...pecifications/ says tone can use a sample , ignore the manual for now would be my advice

i think it is at the point where people will need to wait until users can actually thrash through the Roland B.S and bad English and say what is real and what is a bad typo or where they have copied spec pages from 707 to 101

what gets me is they initially said the engine is the same (technically it is) and just the interface is different, well if features are missing from the 101 that exist in 707 that says to me they are talking garbage and limiting the engine so why say it is the same? seems like suicide to me, so again, i think best to wait and allow users to confirm rather than believe their bad text

if i had prepaid as you have i would probably hold off or at least make sure of my return policy and nail the hell out of it when it arrives to be certain it does what you want
I did most of my listening to the initial demos at work (shhh... don't tell the boss), so I wasn't watching the videos. The impression I got was that the 101 was just a 707 with 4 tracks instead of 8. Now after sitting down and watching demos for real, reading the manual, and looking at the Sweetwater page, it sounds like they have write a few differences. Smaller screen, segment display instead of OLED, no filter per clip/instrument only per track. I couldn't find details about resampling in the 101 manual, and at this point, I'm doubtful if they have it.

I am totally in the market for a budget standalone sample box with pads. After years of being generally disappointed by Roland, I thought they nailed it with a cool, feature-rich, affordable instrument. Now, I'm not so sure. After the mixed messages in the video and confusion on the manual, I'm going to wait until this thing is out so I can find out what the hell it actually does.
Old 1 week ago
  #775
Lives for gear
 

As more information comes out it's starting to seem like a Digitakt paired with a Behringer clone would be a better choice for the same or similar money than the MC707. Anyone else forming a similar opinion?
Old 1 week ago
  #776
Lives for gear
 
Jamie munro's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcgood View Post
As more information comes out it's starting to seem like a Digitakt paired with a Behringer clone would be a better choice for the same or similar money than the MC707. Anyone else forming a similar opinion?
for me no, the beauty of a groover is that it is all in one box - i have more than enough pieces of gear that pair really well but grabbing one box and getting after it is invaluable

i expect Roland will make this very desirable, i could be wrong, it is roland after all
Old 1 week ago
  #777
Lives for gear
 
rasseru's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcgood View Post
As more information comes out it's starting to seem like a Digitakt paired with a Behringer clone would be a better choice for the same or similar money than the MC707. Anyone else forming a similar opinion?
totally depends what for. digitakt cant play chords (on one track), doesnt have a sound engine, no timestretch, less filters (and better sounding on MC707?). Can do crazy random picking of samples and CTRL-ALL functions. Better P-Lock control
Old 1 week ago
  #778
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasseru View Post
totally depends what for. digitakt cant play chords (on one track), doesnt have a sound engine, no timestretch, less filters (and better sounding on MC707?). Can do crazy random picking of samples and CTRL-ALL functions. Better P-Lock control
I haven't formed a hard opinion yet. We'll see as more info comes to light.
Old 1 week ago
  #779
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie munro View Post
for me no, the beauty of a groover is that it is all in one box - i have more than enough pieces of gear that pair really well but grabbing one box and getting after it is invaluable

i expect Roland will make this very desirable, i could be wrong, it is roland after all
I'm a groove box lover (I've gotten more out of a Circuit than most - shout out to Bo Beats & Ricky T), so I get what you mean as a one box solution.
Old 1 week ago
  #780
Lives for gear
 
Jamie munro's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcgood View Post
I haven't formed a hard opinion yet. We'll see as more info comes to light.
absolutely the only reasonable course of action
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump