The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Roland MC-707 & MC-101 Grooveboxes
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
sample editing software for the MC-808, from 2006:
Software that doesn't even run on windows 8/10 or on the latest Mac OS. Never buy a Roland device that requires a software editor, like the MC808. And yes, this software was mandatory to edit all parameters.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasseru View Post
This thing is no digtone, you wait till I get my hands on one

There isn't much that does X-Mod with samples

And the ring mod keeps the filters for each (good move Roland)
You might be happy to know that there’s a lot of synths that do XMOD (whether it be AM or FM) with samples. I own about 10 of them lol.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanderbeanz View Post
You might be happy to know that there’s a lot of synths that do XMOD (whether it be AM or FM) with samples. I own about 10 of them lol.
I actually realised that there would be after i said it

any standouts with large storage, sample per key, fast workflow?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Just watched this video:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-tKJVFOSqY4

There’s a grand piano sound at about 27:30
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuonacc View Post
then it'll "stretch" it to one bar by lowering the pitch/speed of the sample. they show this in one of the videos where he samples himself talking into the mic.
that is weird. i can't see i would have much use for that.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by syntonica View Post
I'm still waiting to hear if the project file is monolithic, or if you can plug the card into a computer and find the individual wave, patch and midi files. If it's the latter, then there's all sorts of shenanigans I can get up to!
I downloaded one of Roland’s demo mc-707 projects and it contained one file, an mpj file (which incidentally was not actually a zip file btw), so there’s no easy way that I can see to access the assets.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

101 manual

The reference manual and the midi impl chart is up
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I actually realised that there would be after i said it

I managed to pick up an Alesis Fusion 6HD with 384MB Ram, 120GB SSD for £350. Had to install a fan, as it was running very hot.

Anyhow I quite like the UI, but others seem to hate it. The Rompler engine alone has 4 partials which can FM each other, and sample start point as a modulatable destination. The main issue is that it only lets you modulate 10% into the sample.

So I’ve been adding junk silence to the end of my samples to alleviate this. The arp is great and made insane sounds.

Although the fan was mildly annoying to sort out, I’m very happy for £350, nice keybed included, a fatar tp 9/s weighted number.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by syah View Post
Looks like it’s gone again.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
The Prophet X allows audio-rate modulation between samples or oscillators, including FM, AM, and filter FM. Ring modulation is also available in the effects section with a dedicated morphable oscillator (sine to saw) that tracks the lowest note held.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickBeatman View Post
that is weird. i can't see i would have much use for that.
that's exactly how i use breakbeats, funk loops, etc inside Ableton. Loop on and Re-Pitch warp mode. "the old way" of matching up loops, i never use actual time-stretching.

not quite what you're talking about, and i see what you mean. that wouldn't work with what you're looking to do, you'd want to load your sample into a Tone/Drum track. no way to trigger or do much with Loop tracks, just think of it as a looping phrase recorder for now.

for the time being people are going to need to record/prep/chop samples some other way and import them as wav files.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Alesis Fusion 6HD...
Anyhow I quite like the UI, but others seem to hate it.
That styling!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Gaia View Post
The Prophet X allows audio-rate modulation between samples or oscillators, including FM, AM, and filter FM. Ring modulation is also available in the effects section with a dedicated morphable oscillator (sine to saw) that tracks the lowest note held.
ha, yes of course

funny about the ring mod, I would have much preferred the Roland setup with each partial being able to be routed through the ring mod + having their own filter.. Their FX could use a bit of a better integration. A ring mod switch and page with relevant mod, carrier, levels would have been a lot better. Cant be that computationally intensive
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Looks like it’s gone again.
Roland MC-101 reference manual

The 101 is a seriously crippled version of the 707 when it comes to sound designing. This, or there is a lot of content missing in the ref man...
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

The 101 is a seriously crippled version of the 707 when it comes to sound designing. This, or there is a lot of content missing in the ref man...
wow, yeah... the 101 can barely do anything in that area.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head
... that smells like a typical Roland external editor which probaly will only work on Windows 7
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

Curious, 32 pages missing from the manual and a full page missing from the TOC. That’s a lot to account for. I wish I had it in me to A/B the manual.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
wow, yeah... the 101 can barely do anything in that area.
I remember someone on a video saying its exactly the same but just half the tracks

Damn thats crippled
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
That styling!

ha, yes of course

funny about the ring mod, I would have much preferred the Roland setup with each partial being able to be routed through the ring mod + having their own filter.. Their FX could use a bit of a better integration. A ring mod switch and page with relevant mod, carrier, levels would have been a lot better. Cant be that computationally intensive
Yeah it looks like a 1950’s automobile.

So, can the 101 not do any synthesizing, can you not go into the partials/tones etc?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah it looks like a 1950’s automobile.

So, can the 101 not do any synthesizing, can you not go into the partials/tones etc?
very simple synthesis options... filter, envelope, pitch, a few other things. i don't even think you can edit the LFOs, unless i missed something. just read through the Parameter lists in the back and compare it to the 707.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

Welp, that pretty much kills it for me... I guess Roland doesn't want to give away a full sound engine for peanuts. :(
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
very simple synthesis options... filter, envelope, pitch, a few other things. i don't even think you can edit the LFOs, unless i missed something. just read through the Parameter lists in the back and compare it to the 707.
It looks like there's just enough for automation. No way to get into the guts of it.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Well this is a shocking twist.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah, I can see the differences.

The 101 is basically a modern Sound Canvas for bro’s.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

It looks like you can load your own drum samples onto their own pads on a drum track, so there's that...

But not being able to turn a sample into an instrument is a huge bummer.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfernald View Post
I downloaded one of Roland’s demo mc-707 projects and it contained one file, an mpj file (which incidentally was not actually a zip file btw), so there’s no easy way that I can see to access the assets.
Thanks for checking! At this point, though, it's rather moot with me until Roland opens up tone editing on the 101.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Wow, yeah 101 is basically worse than the JDXIs front panel, but inside the whole machine
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I downloaded all that on day one

I did have a chat with someone at Roland though and pointed them to several pages of errors, I assume they are proof reading over and over now
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Wow, according to the 101 manual (page 25) you can record from the USB input of the device, but these geniuses at Roland didn't even bother including a simple audio input on the device itself? stupid
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

As they seem to be more different than assumed in the beginning, i think its time 707 and 101 part ways here on GS.

We should have dedicated threads in my opinion.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by syntonica View Post
It looks like you can load your own drum samples onto their own pads on a drum track, so there's that...

But not being able to turn a sample into an instrument is a huge bummer.
really though, it still lets you do as much with the sample (filters, etc) as most any other budget sampler does. custom drum/sample kits, like you said. plenty of fx and then bouncing to a Loop track, still a lot you can do with this thing. some pretty stiff competition at that price though.

might still be a cool portable accessory for MC-707 owners.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search