The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Roland MC-707 & MC-101 Grooveboxes
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #7291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar1 ➡️
If you are referring to me, then it was a question. And it is not unfounded.
The MC 707 is from 2019, we are in 2021 with new products. My past experience with Roland (I used to have tons of Roland gear) is that things do not really get updated too much after the initial first year, even expensive stuff.
So it is not that obvious to me that a gear released in 2019 will still be getting significant updates in 2021, especially when we talk about Roland. Hence I was looking for some official confirmation that there are some further plans beyond "some guy on forum said."

Because the Roland site or their social media says absolutely ZERO about MC future, everything is now about how MV will have this or that and no mentioning of MC further plans. Not even a beep. For example there is a lot of talk now about MV integration with zenbeats on ipad and it looks fantastic, but absolutely zero mentioning about MC integration etc...
didnt you say the same about the Force being abandoned?
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #7292
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by modalmojo ➡️
I'm a bit late to the party. I'm very interested in the synth engine and its capability, but heard that it is quite a hassle to edit the parameters on board. So the only and better way to edit the parameters is through Roland Cloud? That means subscription? Any editor for the synth engine out there?
I think someone mentioned a year's free subscription if you register before 1 March? Or was that for the MV? Maybe both?
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #7293
Lives for gear
 
realtrance's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien23 ➡️
Brian Lamb is credible.
Toward such end, it was both during multiple discussions with Brian AND during the 2021 Winter NAMM (that wasn't) that heard from whomever Roland had tending the "booth" that the MCs were still under active dev. Actually discussed the MCs at some length with the Roland rep(s) at NAMM.

Why ONE character is acting like there's reason to remotely ponder the MCs being depreciated and/or abandoned is more like the case and you certainly are not that character MPrinsen.
Since time immemorial there’s always been someone on a forum to claim an instrument sucks, is abandoned, discontinued, no longer in inventory, etc. etc. merely because they’re imagining and hoping their comments will lower the instrument’s price for them.

Take such commentary for what it is often worth: zilch.

Last edited by realtrance; 1 week ago at 12:34 AM.. Reason: Apple continues to suffer from an ‘o’ shortage.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #7294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perplexo ➡️
I think someone mentioned a year's free subscription if you register before 1 March? Or was that for the MV? Maybe both?
Any Zen hardware before 1 March.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #7295
Lives for gear
 
Oscar1's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcearl ➡️
didnt you say the same about the Force being abandoned?
I might have and then I had to eat my hat. It was awful. Don't eat your hat.

But to be honest my constant bitching about it got me magically invited to the beta tester forum....
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #7296
Gear Head
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien23 ➡️
Given that Roland has forwardly stated the things are in active dev AND the last update was mere months ago with a whole slew of updates behind that, yes, your pondering of depreciation and/or abandonment are pretty unfounded.

Also, just to put your "2019" statement into a more proper perspective, the MCs were released literally at the closing of 2019 (last quarter), so on a more realistic time scale, what you're saying is "They were released a little more than a year ago."

Literally THE ENTIRE Zen hardware and software line has seen updates in LESS THAN THE PAST YEAR. Even the pre-Zen existing TR has continued to see updates in that time. The even more pre-existing System 8 has seen continued support in that time!

So no.... all things given, you weren't making any sense AND you were ignoring what Roland themselves were both saying and have actionably been doing.
Furthermore, with the pandemic, most companies have pushed tech way out, or completely cut altogether. Anything they had on their books for 21 is not coming until 22 at least. With zen core, they are well positioned to polish it out and make the ecosystem richer. I'm in software and this is what we are seeing everywhere.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #7297
Gear Head
 
TheFunkyNerd's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien23 ➡️
Any Zen hardware before 1 March.
Really???!! They say I will have to pay next month...
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #7298
Lives for gear
 
Oscar1's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien23 ➡️
Given that Roland has forwardly stated the things are in active dev AND the last update was mere months ago with a whole slew of updates behind that, yes, your pondering of depreciation and/or abandonment are pretty unfounded.
I am happy to hear that MC 707 is getting updates, because I do own one.
I accept that my worries are unfounded. Again, glad to hear that.

Also, I used word "forgotten" (twice), I did go back and read what I wrote, just to be sure. I did not use "depreciated" nor "abandoned" so there is no need to put those words into my mouth. Saying something that I didn't say doesn't make it less or more unfounded.

From now on, I will keep my questions, if any, on the topics, leaving all musings aside, so you all don't get immediately triggered and defensive. Sounds ok?
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #7299
Lives for gear
 
cresshead's Avatar
once upon a time supernatual synth engine was all the rage...
once upon a time ACB tech was all the rage
currently zen core is all the rage...

at least Roland moves forward... look at novation, still throwing in a decade old plus synth engine into the 'new' circuits tracks.

Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #7300
Lives for gear
 
Oscar1's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by grainsynth ➡️
Furthermore, with the pandemic, most companies have pushed tech way out, or completely cut altogether. Anything they had on their books for 21 is not coming until 22 at least. With zen core, they are well positioned to polish it out and make the ecosystem richer. I'm in software and this is what we are seeing everywhere.
Just to put things straight, if MC is being developed in Japan (and i don't know that), then the pandemic has very little effects on software development or basically any development since china also works on all cylinders.
Japan literally didn't stop anything. All business are open and work as if nothing happened. Even concerts and sports are running. There was I think a week of semi-closure in Tokyo last April when I was there. Japan seems is in a different world. They sort of pretend pandemic doesn't exist, in a typical Japanese way.
I know, because I am in zoom with Japan daily for an hour at least (today it was 3 hr), every single day since last April.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #7301
Gear Maniac
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar1 ➡️
I am happy to hear that MC 707 is getting updates, because I do own one.
I accept that my worries are unfounded. Again, glad to hear that.

Also, I used word "forgotten" (twice), I did go back and read what I wrote, just to be sure. I did not use "depreciated" nor "abandoned" so there is no need to put those words into my mouth. Saying something that I didn't say doesn't make it less or more unfounded.

From now on, I will keep my questions, if any, on the topics, leaving all musings aside, so you all don't get immediately triggered and defensive. Sounds ok?
Muse away , that’s what the internet is for !
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #7302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar1 ➡️
I might have and then I had to eat my hat. It was awful. Don't eat your hat.

But to be honest my constant bitching about it got me magically invited to the beta tester forum....
They never invited me and Im Captain Positive from the Planet NoAbandon :rollseyes:
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #7303
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFunkyNerd ➡️
Really???!! They say I will have to pay next month...
No, you have to register for a free year before March
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #7304
Lives for gear
 
Oscar1's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcearl ➡️
They never invited me and Im Captain Positive from the Planet NoAbandon :rollseyes:
I was surprised too, I am sure I was constantly being irritating, pessimistic and bitching about the lack of signatures and no normalize in multi-velocity auto sampling and about many other things, including their dead-snail in molasses development and no sign of arranger at that time. And boom, "you sir are a great candidate to be our beta-tester."
Well, so I got the opportunity start bitching in their secret forum directly, so I could stop bitching on gearslutz in the Force forum. I even released Maschine 2 MPC convertor as you know to rip all maschine kits and instruments to MPC so i am not constantly negative, there are slight sparks of positivity here and there.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #7305
Gear Maniac
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar1 ➡️
I was surprised too, I am sure I was constantly being irritating, pessimistic and bitching about the lack of signatures and no normalize in multi-velocity auto sampling and about many other things, including their dead-snail in molasses development and no sign of arranger. And boom, "you sir are a great candidate to be our beta-tester."
Well, so I got the opportunity start bitching in their secret forum directly, so I could stop bitching on gearslutz in the Force forum. I even released Maschine 2 MPC convertor as you know to rip all maschine kits and instruments to MPC.
Could you do mpc to maschine converter ?
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #7306
Lives for gear
 
Oscar1's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 611 phone repair ➡️
Could you do mpc to maschine converter ?
No, NI, uses proprietary binary file system for everything, unlike AKAI with XML. It is sort of ok to "read" aka "guess" maschine files, but to create one, nope. I have to give it to AKAI again in this regard. They redo every binary format from old MPC's in XML for new MPC's and Force and it is effin' ingenious. Roland should take note... oh, wait, I promised no musings.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #7307
Gear Maniac
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar1 ➡️
No, NI, uses proprietary binary file system for everything, unlike AKAI with XML. It is sort of ok to "read" aka "guess" maschine files, but to create one, nope. I have to give it to AKAI again in this regard. They redo every binary format in XML for new MPC's and Force and it is effin' amazing. Roland should take note... oh I promised no musings.
Cool , cheers for the explanation, atm I have to export the mpc kit from the software in mpc2500 format then import to maschine group .

What I need is chicken systems translator 7
So I can batch convert the mpc software format to mpc 2500 format , that would cut out a step and make it less time consuming
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #7308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar1 ➡️
I was surprised too, I am sure I was constantly being irritating, pessimistic and bitching about the lack of signatures and no normalize in multi-velocity auto sampling and about many other things, including their dead-snail in molasses development and no sign of arranger at that time. And boom, "you sir are a great candidate to be our beta-tester."
Well, so I got the opportunity start bitching in their secret forum directly, so I could stop bitching on gearslutz in the Force forum. I even released Maschine 2 MPC convertor as you know to rip all maschine kits and instruments to MPC so i am not constantly negative, there are slight sparks of positivity here and there.
I don’t mind what you post, you’re cool, I’m just a glass half full kinda guy whereas you’re a glass empty covered in cobwebs lying hidden at the back of the shelf
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #7309
Lives for gear
 
Oscar1's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Ok, here is some amateurish sketch "song" on MC 707 I just quickly made. I used internal sounds and created some loops with ext keyboard.
But instead of the next clip, I simply pushed the scenes manually, finger-style. I don't have the patience for the Next clip, it is awkward for me and easy to get lost.

Not sure I've got the hang on the MC. Probably not. Strangely I had some issues with MIDI time clock, say I recorded 4 bars audio at 103 BPM from master keyboard as my clock, but the loop became 103.85 on MC and of course MC tried to stretch it back to 103, butchering it, not sure if my master clock is wonky or I just don't understand how this whole thing with Loops works. But I kind of hammered it in by not using MIDI sync and manually set BPM on both keyboard and MC. Ugly, but then the loops were the correct size.

Yeah, it may take some time to understand the workflow on the MC for idiot like me..., especially when I want to use my own loops. I still think I may understand the MV scenes/song better.

Well, it is a sketch, not much structure and it is hairy but at least it is the first step. Recorded from MC to BR900 to stay in Roland's house coz I am not touching that computer, no, no.

Old 6 days ago | Show parent
  #7310
MC-707 Clip "off sound"/Program Call Bug update.....

Have been encountering an issue on the MC-707 where "Clips" occasionally do not sound properly.

The issue that occurs, is if one begins playing a "line" of "clips", stops things in middle of playing, and then activates a different "line", one or more of the "clips" on the newly activated "line" might sound off. However, if the same newly activated "line" is re-triggered again, the issue corrects itself. The off sound seems to a "clip" retaining an effect that was held by a "clip" on the same track\channel that had been active just prior to it.

What I've found thus far in taking to more formal DAW driven written processes with the MC-707.....
First an outline of process: Things were outlined/jammed via the 707 as a master first with the DAW simply capturing MIDI actions.
Second: The 707 was deactivated from having it's own sequencer follow clock starts and set to simply listen to clock.

From this point on the 707 is being completely controlled externally from the DAW.

As the 707 was played back via the DAW and shifted through "clips" as it received various program change calls, eventually a "clip" would sound totally off.
I was able to confirm that when this happened it was tied to the "clip" retaining an effect that had been on the "clip" prior to it. Simply reinitializing the "clip" on the 707 itself via a "C2" button click would fix the issue up until to the point that THE SAME "clip" was called again via a PC/Bank call sent from the DAW. Stress that the PC message had to relate to the same "clip" being called prior to the track being told to deal with any other "clip".

Will further note that the issue doesn't seem to always occur..... but when it does occur it definitely seems to relate to "clips" retaining the effect of another "clip" rather than using it's own assigned effect.

For whatever reason, as far as I can establish, the issue only seems to "possibly" occur during cases where the 707 is stopped in the middle of playing, moved to another line (possibly even just clip), and restarted
AND/OR
when it's not actively playing sequences at all and an external means is moving it through clips via PC messages.

IF the 707 is simply used BOTH on it's own AND without stopping the clock and then shifting "lines" (possibly also scenes or simply clips) before starting the clock again, the issue doesn't seem to surface.

So just an FYI for others on the bug and at least what I've been able to make out what triggers it, ways to resolve it, and potentially avoid it.....

*haven't tried it yet, but I "think" sending PC messages in doubles MIGHT possibly suppress the issue*
Old 5 days ago
  #7311
Lives for gear
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
First daft punk, now the mc707 gets binned off
Old 5 days ago | Show parent
  #7312
Lives for gear
 
cresshead's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by earwolf ➡️
First daft punk, now the mc707 gets binned off



Old 5 days ago | Show parent
  #7313
Lives for gear
 
Oscar1's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Here is an experimental, ambient (?), orchestral (?), quick tune for detuned piano on MC707 with MODX for strings and choir. No scenes used, just live volume pots and recorded on BR900.
I wanted to see how it goes when I combine detuned instruments. Interestingly the brain feels the detuning in transitions, but then adjusts to the new pitch and goes with it. Unless you have absolute pitch, then it is pulling hairs.
Also the pattern is in 80 steps, (5 bars) just to see how it goes this way...


Last edited by Oscar1; 5 days ago at 06:48 AM..
Old 5 days ago | Show parent
  #7314
Gear Maniac
 
PlasticFantastic's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
I’ve asked this before , but I’ll have another go.

Anybody got send and return working for pc option. I want to use my iPad Pro as send and return, which I’ve been doing with a class compliant audio interface, but can’t do it alone, save to stream master audio back and forth.

What is the PC option in send and return for if not for a computer device ? Can you stream audio from a PC and if so , why not an iPad if it’s class compliant ?

Really love to know the answer as Roland has not replied.
As I say can stream master out and receive audio from iPad , but can’t make a back and forth trip using usb.
Old 5 days ago | Show parent
  #7315
Gear Maniac
 
PlasticFantastic's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Reply ..to myself lol

I see where I was getting confused. This is for only sending to an external effect that would past the D/A.
I was tying it to a mixer paradigm, but in effect it is just the class compliant audio going to the master that will be sent to the external effects device , rather than a routed track sending digital audio.

Still would great to be able to send audio to iPad and return the effected audio within a digital format Roland
Old 3 days ago | Show parent
  #7316
Asked this on the FB group, looking for some more input.

How many of you run your TR8S into the external in of your 707? I'm 3 weeks into the 707 and I figured it was always best to run the 8S and the 707 separately into the mixer.
But I'm feeling that I'm missing out a lot on the looper function of the 707. That is if I record the TR8S drums into a 707 loop, then I can mangle the hell out of it and do all the glitch madness that I like, I mean it's somewhat limited compared to an Octatrack, but I could utilize reverse and MFX. I guess I could also save as a sample too right? Then slice it up?

I just figure that running the whole TR8S through the EXT In of the 707 probably would not result in the best audio quality right? What do you think?

I was also thinking about running an aux out of the mixer to the EXT IN of the 707 but my mixer only has a mon out, and mon sends per channel and I don't know if the mon out is stereo or TRS, in which case I could use a TRS > TS-TS cable to the 707 EXT in. But I would imagine the mon out on my mixer is mono right?

Old 3 days ago | Show parent
  #7317
Lives for gear
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrubbGrubb ➡️
Asked this on the FB group, looking for some more input.

How many of you run your TR8S into the external in of your 707? I'm 3 weeks into the 707 and I figured it was always best to run the 8S and the 707 separately into the mixer.
But I'm feeling that I'm missing out a lot on the looper function of the 707. That is if I record the TR8S drums into a 707 loop, then I can mangle the hell out of it and do all the glitch madness that I like, I mean it's somewhat limited compared to an Octatrack, but I could utilize reverse and MFX. I guess I could also save as a sample too right? Then slice it up?

I just figure that running the whole TR8S through the EXT In of the 707 probably would not result in the best audio quality right? What do you think?

I was also thinking about running an aux out of the mixer to the EXT IN of the 707 but my mixer only has a mon out, and mon sends per channel and I don't know if the mon out is stereo or TRS, in which case I could use a TRS > TS-TS cable to the 707 EXT in. But I would imagine the mon out on my mixer is mono right?

Monitor out is usually mono.

I have my 707 assignable outputs going into the TR-8S external inputs, there I apply sidechaining and I route everything (main out including the external inputs) from the TR-8S back into the MC-707. That wat I can use the MC-707 as the final mixer with master fx. If I want I route the external inputs of the TR-8S through a pair of individual outputs back into the return inputs of the MC-707, and use those inputs as an insert track. That way I can keep the drums and the (usually bass) other instrument(s) separated and apply different fx on each. Sometimes I want to use the inputs of the MC-707 for other instruments, in that case I also use a small mixer to route the Mc-707 main (including the external instruments) + TR-8S main (including the sidechained instruments) into.
Old 3 days ago | Show parent
  #7318
JHFC!!!! I would need a flow chart to figure that out.
Old 3 days ago | Show parent
  #7319
Lives for gear
 
cresshead's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrubbGrubb ➡️
JHFC!!!! I would need a flow chart to figure that out.

happy to help ya...

Old 3 days ago | Show parent
  #7320
Quote:
Originally Posted by cresshead ➡️
happy to help ya...

Interactive signal flow chart
https://www.decisionproblem.com/paperclips/index2.html
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 90 views: 20161
Avatar for ranzee
ranzee 12th June 2015
replies: 5632 views: 483951
Avatar for Paul_xyz
Paul_xyz 1 day ago
replies: 645 views: 58580
Avatar for TheFunkyNerd
TheFunkyNerd 3 days ago
replies: 1390 views: 60500
Avatar for 611 phone repair
611 phone repair 1 hour ago
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump