The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Roland MC-707 & MC-101 Grooveboxes
Old 17th November 2020 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by sm7x7 View Post
WOW!!! You're a PRO, my friend! THANK YOU!!!
Now, four base intruments on one track - that's a ''dream come true"! Thanks again!
You're very welcome. Happy to hear it seems to work for you and is in line with what you were hoping for, was a bit worried about if you'd find the octave ranges of each partial part suitable as well as the decay/release actions.

Enjoy.
Old 17th November 2020
Here for the gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Here is a quick sketch (drums on 1, combo on 2)

https://files.catbox.moe/bu7e0k.mp3
Old 17th November 2020
Here for the gear
Sampling workflow

Sorry to jump in like this but I just ordered an MC-101 and want to ensure I did the right thing otherwise the cancel button is ready to be pressed. I hope someone can chime in and perhaps this can also serve someone else who's confused with the sampling:

Been researching a lot on how audio in sampling works and I'm a little concerned with the whole sample/patch management side to it.

+ Easy to put wav on SD card and import it in tone/drum/looper tracks for further adjustments.

- Can only record Audio IN to looper track (not drum/tone). Once sample is recorded, I can't copy the wav to another track (drum/tone) directly. I have to first save the project with the looper track containing the new sample, mount the SD card on my computer, copy the wav from that project to the /SAMPLES folder manually - mount the SD card back to the MC101, and then I can access it via a tone track.. is this correct?

- Creating new patch (aka clip) (tone/drum) - can only be saved as part of a Project.. Workaround: If I'm working on a song project with has a patch i created that I want to re-use later, I can save the original project, then I create a new project called "My Synths" - i import the "clip" of the original saved project i like, rename it to something memorable and save "My Synths" (this is like a project sound bank)

- No way to hear/test my custom clip patch from SD before loading it in my project? I have to remember what it sounds like... I guess this is not so bad if I plan on mostly using my own wavs, I don't necessarily need to save them as re-usable clips.

I currently have a Digitakt, and sampling on that is a breeze so I hope I'm not going to be frustrated with the "looper" only sampling approach. I don't know why they didn't allow line in sampling on tone/drum tracks.. or copying the samples between tracks easily.
Old 17th November 2020 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limesoft View Post
Sorry to jump in like this but I just ordered an MC-101 and want to ensure I did the right thing otherwise the cancel button is ready to be pressed. I hope someone can chime in and perhaps this can also serve someone else who's confused with the sampling:

Been researching a lot on how audio in sampling works and I'm a little concerned with the whole sample/patch management side to it.

+ Easy to put wav on SD card and import it in tone/drum/looper tracks for further adjustments.

- Can only record Audio IN to looper track (not drum/tone). Once sample is recorded, I can't copy the wav to another track (drum/tone) directly. I have to first save the project with the looper track containing the new sample, mount the SD card on my computer, copy the wav from that project to the /SAMPLES folder manually - mount the SD card back to the MC101, and then I can access it via a tone track.. is this correct?

- Creating new patch (aka clip) (tone/drum) - can only be saved as part of a Project.. Workaround: If I'm working on a song project with has a patch i created that I want to re-use later, I can save the original project, then I create a new project called "My Synths" - i import the "clip" of the original saved project i like, rename it to something memorable and save "My Synths" (this is like a project sound bank)

- No way to hear/test my custom clip patch from SD before loading it in my project? I have to remember what it sounds like... I guess this is not so bad if I plan on mostly using my own wavs, I don't necessarily need to save them as re-usable clips.

I currently have a Digitakt, and sampling on that is a breeze so I hope I'm not going to be frustrated with the "looper" only sampling approach. I don't know why they didn't allow line in sampling on tone/drum tracks.. or copying the samples between tracks easily.
The MC-101 does not have an audio in (unlike the 707), so you can only sample over USB from a computer.
Old 18th November 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupremeFist View Post
The MC-101 does not have an audio in (unlike the 707), so you can only sample over USB from a computer.
Sorry that's what I meant - sampling audio via usb
Old 20th November 2020 | Show parent
Deleted 4d99779
Some more techno music:

Audio (in order of workflow):
* Roland MC-101 (groovebox)
* Akai Professional XR20 (beat production center)
* Yamaha MG12 (12-channel mixing console)
* Boss DD-8 (digital delay pedal/stompbox)
* Boss RV-6 (reverb pedal/stompbox)
* Olympus LS-P4 (linear PCM recorder)
* iZotope Ozone 9 (mastering suite)

XR20 is used for all the drum sounds. MC-101 is used for all the synth sounds.
Old 20th November 2020 | Show parent
Gear Head

Some Friday night remixing on the MC-101 and TR-6S.

The original I made using Zenology Pro and Ableton:

Old 21st November 2020 | Show parent
Deleted 4d99779
If someone from Roland is reading this thread, here is my personal feature request:

Add a feature to assign MIDI notes to the pads for a drum channel. Now they are pre-assigned. This would make it easier to control external drum machines via MIDI, and also to use a drum channel to trigger specific notes on external gear. For example, the Korg Volca Beats is not fully compatible with the note layout of the MC drum channel mapping, so one or two sounds cannot be triggered because you also cannot change the note value on the Volca. By adding this feature, it would also be possible to use the MC for creating live sets in the style of old school analog sequencers.
Old 26th November 2020
Gear Head

One year of Roland Cloud Pro for free for owners of ZenCore hardware: https://lp.roland.com/zencore-fully-loaded

Includes Zenology Pro, so take advantage of this if you haven't already done so.
Old 27th November 2020
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Nice.seems to register etc.. used my mc101 serial.
Old 27th November 2020 | Show parent
Gear Guru

Registered my 707, so far theyve sent some hip hop samples for free
Gear Guru

Oh it works! Thx for the heads up!
Jam on the MC-101. 4 clips total (1 on each track), if anybody is curious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLxAROSA View Post
One year of Roland Cloud Pro for free for owners of ZenCore hardware: https://lp.roland.com/zencore-fully-loaded

Includes Zenology Pro, so take advantage of this if you haven't already done so.
While it may not be a full on just granting of access to ZenPro for those that already own the engine in hardware, this is really great news none the less, most notably as it grants access to a soft editor for patch and bank creation (even if still not allowing for user samples/multi-sample sets) AND finally adds some truth to the Roland's active claims that patches can be shared through out the product line.
Hopefully it will be far prior to a full year before a more general editor is rolled out that need not have anything to do with the cloud. The year of access to all the other cloud affairs is generous and makes for a nice enticement by Roland to possibly have users stick around on the cloud (can't say i'm interested, but I commend the motion none the less). The additional 700+ presets is just a nice icing (most notably for those not overly interested in sound design).

I'm a bit surprised that there's not anything in my mail inbox from Roland about this.
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien23 View Post
I'm a bit surprised that there's not anything in my mail inbox from Roland about this.
Same here. Just happened to stumble on a Twitter post from Roland Cloud and thought it was too good not to share.

There's a lot you can do with ZP and those sound packs over the course of a whole year!
Deleted 4d99779
Had to re-upload this and deleted my old post here on the forum. For those who missed it, here is a short ambient jam with the MC-101, JV-1010 and Monotron Delay:

Old 28th November 2020
Deleted 39941f3
I don't know if it's already reported, there is a bug with the master/reverb/delay knobs on 707.
They don't work in catch mode.
Annoying because I use them a lot, I like to pump the balance or feedback or other parameters as I play.
Old 28th November 2020 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by MpcMc View Post
I don't know if it's already reported, there is a bug with the master/reverb/delay knobs on 707.
They don't work in catch mode.
Annoying because I use them a lot, I like to pump the balance or feedback or other parameters as I play.
For what it's worth, for those not aware, hold the shift button while turning a knob. It will state the knobs current value without changing it's value (and subsequently allow for adjustment of the knob to whatever position before actually catching values when the shift button is released).
Old 28th November 2020 | Show parent
Deleted 39941f3
Quote:
For what it's worth, for those not aware, hold the shift button while turning a knob. It will state the knobs current value without changing it's value (and subsequently allow for adjustment of the knob to whatever position before actually catching values when the shift button is released).
Yeah thanks, I know that, it works but makes the operation slower.
I just need to have catch mode on all knobs as I enable it on preferences.
But thanks anyway, good tip.
Old 29th November 2020 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by MpcMc View Post
Yeah thanks, I know that, it works but makes the operation slower.
I just need to have catch mode on all knobs as I enable it on preferences.
But thanks anyway, good tip.
Yeah wasn't aware of the Master Effects/Reverb/Delay catch knob over sighting, but found the way Roland had implemented "catch" mode to leave much to be desired in general.

Most notably in that since it works on a per channel/track basis with no sort of time buffer in place for before it kicks back in, one could quickly end up with things just relocking themselves all over the place pretty quickly.
Ala, turn knob on track/channel 2, get it to the point where it's become active again, but as knobs are being turned on track/channel 3 at the same time, as soon as track/channel 2 unlocks it relocks itself after the movement on track 3 is noticed making track 2 have to be re-unlocked again (which in turn locks track 3 back up making it have to be re-unlocked again). Without some sort of time buffer in place allowing things to remain free prior to relocking, it can start getting messy fast with things just relocking right after having unlocked all over the place.

Probably the only reason I haven't thought more of it is due to the fact that the functionality is leaps and bounds ahead of what it was on prior MCs, as the prior MCs didn't offer as many readily available possible controls to assign to the mod matrix routings, allow for knob/slider controls to be remapped to other destinations, AND the general control movements, rather than offset the values of partials, would just hard align all partials to what was moved unless one entered specifically into partial edit sections and worked the adjustments they wanted to happen in there. So while there was more direct hands on control per patch available on the prior MCs, less one knew all partials on a patch to share the same settings, how one dealt with adjusting patch programming in real time (performance detail) outside of what was assigned to modwheel (or aftertouch) was even more funky than it is on the current gen..... Within all this, the shift functionality was always sort of crucial to dealing with the MCs, as it'd get you to the section of the partial edit screen you wanted to be in quick without butchering the entire patch be changing all partial values to locking in on a single value. So it's kind of an old school MC and Roland think to just presume "well, you shift and then do whatever to spot check n get where you wanna be because otherwise bad things are prolly gonna happen....." (though can't imagine why much of anyone outside of older Roland heads accustomed to MCs or even just things JV/XV/XR engine based would think like that, as it's def not a natural/intuitive line of thought)

The catch mode thing is a newer addition and while I suppose it offers more than no catch mode at all, seems another one of those functions Roland kind of threw in as a bit of an after thought.
Deleted 39941f3
Quote:
Yeah wasn't aware of the Master Effects/Reverb/Delay catch knob over sighting, but found the way Roland had implemented "catch" mode to leave much to be desired in general.

Most notably in that since it works on a per channel/track basis with no sort of time buffer in place for before it kicks back in, one could quickly end up with things just relocking themselves all over the place pretty quickly.
Ala, turn knob on track/channel 2, get it to the point where it's become active again, but as knobs are being turned on track/channel 3 at the same time, as soon as track/channel 2 unlocks it relocks itself after the movement on track 3 is noticed making track 2 have to be re-unlocked again (which in turn locks track 3 back up making it have to be re-unlocked again). Without some sort of time buffer in place allowing things to remain free prior to relocking, it can start getting messy fast with things just relocking right after having unlocked all over the place.

Probably the only reason I haven't thought more of it is due to the fact that the functionality is leaps and bounds ahead of what it was on prior MCs, as the prior MCs didn't offer as many readily available possible controls to assign to the mod matrix routings, allow for knob/slider controls to be remapped to other destinations, AND the general control movements, rather than offset the values of partials, would just hard align all partials to what was moved unless one entered specifically into partial edit sections and worked the adjustments they wanted to happen in there. So while there was more direct hands on control per patch available on the prior MCs, less one knew all partials on a patch to share the same settings, how one dealt with adjusting patch programming in real time (performance detail) outside of what was assigned to modwheel (or aftertouch) was even more funky than it is on the current gen..... Within all this, the shift functionality was always sort of crucial to dealing with the MCs, as it'd get you to the section of the partial edit screen you wanted to be in quick without butchering the entire patch be changing all partial values to locking in on a single value. So it's kind of an old school MC and Roland think to just presume "well, you shift and then do whatever to spot check n get where you wanna be because otherwise bad things are prolly gonna happen....." (though can't imagine why much of anyone outside of older Roland heads accustomed to MCs or even just things JV/XV/XR engine based would think like that, as it's def not a natural/intuitive line of thought)

The catch mode thing is a newer addition and while I suppose it offers more than no catch mode at all, seems another one of those functions Roland kind of threw in as a bit of an after thought.
Catch mode for me works fine in all but the two master/reverb/delay on the top right upper corner on 707.
Maybe they just forgot about them.
Old 29th November 2020
Here for the gear

So I've registered my 707 and got the zenology Pro upgrade. A couple of questions. 700+ new presets were mentioned above. How do you get them onto the 707 and when you have them on do they operate like the sound packs where you have to load the individual sound to hear it? I'm assuming any sounds you create you just save in the user bank and can then transfer over? Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepE View Post
So I've registered my 707 and got the zenology Pro upgrade. A couple of questions. 700+ new presets were mentioned above. How do you get them onto the 707 and when you have them on do they operate like the sound packs where you have to load the individual sound to hear it? I'm assuming any sounds you create you just save in the user bank and can then transfer over? Thanks.
The 700+ presets come from all the patches contained in the 46 sound packs. So yes, they function just like sound packs because they are sound packs.
Old 30th November 2020
Lives for gear

Anyone using the MX-1 with the MC-707. Do the USB host ports work the same as the other ARIA gear?
Old 30th November 2020 | Show parent
Gear Head

๐ŸŽง 5 years
I have a MC-707 connected to a MX-1 . Works the same as other ARIA gear.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith c View Post
I have a MC-707 connected to a MX-1 . Works the same as other ARIA gear.
Awesome. Thanks
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Excuse my ignorance, but the whole zen-thing has come without me really noticing. Does this mean that I could effectively have, say, a Ju-06 inside the MC-101 or just that I can transfer Ju-06 "sounds" into the MC-101? If the latter is the case, to what extent can these sounds be tweaked like the initial instrument.
If anyone cares to chime in, I would be greatly appreciative as I'm considering getting the Ju-06A.
Quote:
Originally Posted by axs1 View Post
Excuse my ignorance, but the whole zen-thing has come without me really noticing. Does this mean that I could effectively have, say, a Ju-06 inside the MC-101 or just that I can transfer Ju-06 "sounds" into the MC-101? If the latter is the case, to what extent can these sounds be tweaked like the initial instrument.
If anyone cares to chime in, I would be greatly appreciative as I'm considering getting the Ju-06A.
The JU-06a uses Roland's ACB (component) modelling, which is more accurate (and CPU-expensive) than the ABM modelling inside Zen-core instruments, including the MC-101. There is also a Zen-core Juno model available on the cloud and in the Jupiter X, but it currently cannot be loaded into the MC-101 and no one currently knows whether it ever will able to be. The MC-101 has some nice Junoesque presets, but that's your lot currently. (I own the MC-101 but for my Juno sounds in DAW production I use Cherry Audio's excellent DCO-106 plugin.)
Gear Guru

Dont forget you can use your mc101 serial to log into roland cloud pro for a year for free...apart from zen pro and the anthology stuff you also get the d50 and 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcearl View Post
Dont forget you can use your mc101 serial to log into roland cloud pro for a year for free...apart from zen pro and the anthology stuff you also get the d50 and 106
Good point, I just registered mine and need to try that 106 out against the Cherry...
๐Ÿ“ Reply