The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Roland MC-707 & MC-101 Grooveboxes
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasimirsBlake View Post
Apparently there's no specific MIDI mode vs. the Drum / Tone / Audio modes. All tracks can send MIDI, they spit it out unless you tell each track individually not to. Not sure at this stage if a channel per track can be set.

It's becoming quickly apparent that the MC-707 ticks a TON of boxes both as a composition tool and as a live tool. But the limit (?) of 16 max clip patterns per track per project might be stifling in a live situation. It'd be nice if Roland can up this a bit.
i think it could be a fantastic piece of gear too, no specific midi mode (weird as F) and it does remove one or more of the available tracks which sucks - 16 clips per track is a lot imo though and the trick here is each clip can be manipulated while others are playing, clips can also change direction etc

sounds inside clips can also be changed

basically you can rewrite clips/patterns with different sounds on the fly

as an OT user it reminds me of parts and i can see a very long road of additional options available here, it is just a matter of working through the limitations and being a sneaky bas7ard

roland manual is still the same it was in 1997 though
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

The MC101 is the Digitakt killer the world needs.

Curious about the MC707's MIDI sequencing abilities but I have zero expectations that they will be anything other than very basic. The price is really laughable given Roland's joke documentation and support.

"Scatter"...and more green LEDs... Japan has been stuck 15 years behind the rest of the synth/ drum machine scene since Roland released the MC303....

Roland apparently can still bank on the brand name if they expect to sell these new machines (including the fake Jupiters) at these prices. Pioneer SP16, Novation Peak /Summit, U.D.O. Super 6.. they SMOKE the Rolands for sound.
Quote:
and i can see a very long road of additional options available here
The machines are already loaded with Shift - button combos and menu diving...
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treebase DMX View Post

Curious about the MC707's MIDI sequencing abilities but I have zero expectations that they will be anything other than very basic. The price is really laughable given Roland's joke documentation and support.

"Scatter"...and more green LEDs... Japan has been stuck 15 years behind the rest of the synth/ drum machine scene since Roland released the MC303....

Roland apparently can still bank on the brand name if they expect to sell these new machines (including the fake Jupiters) at these prices. Pioneer SP16, Novation Peak /Summit, U.D.O. Super 6.. they SMOKE the Rolands for sound.

honest to the point and always positive about everything - that is why i love your posts, don't ever change bro
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Could be my headphones, since I'm at work and not on my best cans...but the sound seems to lack character. Sounds generic, a little plain. Correct me if I'm wrong. Will give another listen when I get home.

Otherwise the feature set seems pretty good. Feels too expensive though for what it is.

Not really a fan of the synth sounds.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treebase DMX View Post

Funnily enough the scatter is the only thing that is currently stopping me from getting rid of my TR8 now I have multiple other sources for drums. I produce techno and acid / trance and there is nothing quite like it for live mangling of sounds plus breaks and fills.
Old 2 weeks ago
Kja
Lives for gear
101 is a digitakt killer...Lmao!!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Only 8 scenes per song on the MC-707? Seems a little limited. Unless scenes can chain patterns.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

So, MC707 vs RS7000 - fair fight?

Honestly, the fact that the audio playback is wrapped up as "looper" - nah, just give me sample playback. This would make a nice heart of a live set though.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head
This should integrate well with Roland Aira gear, correct? I was contemplating picking up a TR8S to complement my TR8/TB3/MX1, but this seems a much better choice.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut
So is this a tr8s upgrade on steroids? It has all the same kits...?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

sweeeet
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

what can the 101 do which novation circuit cant?too me this is yet again over priced and underspeced compared to other products already on the market and if the rumoured maschine standalone does come out this will simply end up as a future curiosity too be sold on ebay in a few years time.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by djwaxxy View Post
what can the 101 do which novation circuit cant?
Play loops and many samples from SD card more then 60sec like circuit, many different effects, time stretch, dispaly as minimum.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

We should be fair with Roland I think

We should be fair with Roland I think….

A lot of guys on forums and in youtube (on comments section) complain about the prices of the MC 707 and MC 101, respectively. I think that especially the MC 101 it doesn’t have any serious competitor. At this price range what groove box you can get , the Circuit is a joke I bought it and I sold it after 1 month…the Korg Electribe 2 is even worst, not to mention the Electron Model: Samples which is a joke in front of this Roland MC 101.

Now, as for the MC 707 is a direct MPC Live competitor, and both units have the same price, but in my opinion the MC 707 offers better hardware experience, and when it comes to standalone groove boxes this very very very important.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

No sample chopping for audio samples and I don’t think you can sequence your own samples. Looks like another dance machine. I’ve watched every video out so far, not one person showing sampling from an instrument into the audio inputs. It can’t be that hard to make a 8 stereo track real-time audio looper, can it? I was so pumped too. I should have known by the color scheme and design it wasn’t going to do what I needed.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuonacc View Post
?? that's all they ever quote is the "street price".
Honestly, I never pay attention. I just check the prices listed on vendor's websites once the product starts shipping. There was a time when the mags only listed the MSRP and you had to go into a real store and haggle...
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kja View Post
101 is a digitakt killer...Lmao!!
It targets the same market for small desktop sample based groovebox, is made by Roland, has an x0x in its name, RUNS ON BATTERIES, and is easier to use. Most newbies looking at the DT will prefer the MC101 which very likely also sounds better/ has better FX (not hard to do), has a synth engine, and can play stereo samples. No Underbridge (lol) garbage, SD card...

The MC101 is the smartest thing Roland has made in a while.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

It feels like old blueprints taken from the Vaults and mixed with a few ideas from other new products and given a production run .
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nice187 View Post
Now, as for the MC 707 is a direct MPC Live competitor, and both units have the same price, but in my opinion the MC 707 offers better hardware experience, and when it comes to standalone groove boxes this very very very important.
Still no song mode. Clips and scenes make utterly no sense to my tiny TR-606 song mode brain.

I'm still scrutinizing the manual to see what this puppy can do.

It looks like an evolution of sorts of the 4-partial PCM engine. Gone are the algorithms and Supernatural, but added are more flexible interactions between the tones and you can select PCM, sample OR a VA oscillator for each partial. I doubt you can load JV/XV patches, but you can probably port them over by hand, same with the 3-osc Supernatural VA patches. I hope to be listening to stuff done with non-stock sounds to get a true sense of what this sounds like.

I like the more generous selection of effects, compared to the Electribe, as well as the extra two master effects. Note step entry seems far, far better with using the knobs. Too bad the 101 is missing live sampling, even internally (?). Even with only 4 tracks, it would easily replace the Electribe sampler in my setup, although I may have to get one instead of the blue electribe to accompany my e2s. Or, maybe, trade my e2s in for a 707. It'll be interesting to see how/if Korg responds. I love the Electribe, but they really should have gone one step up in their processing/RAM power and used soft knobs. They could have knocked it out of the park.

This sorta came out of nowhere from Roland, while it makes total sense after the TR8s.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie munro View Post
no specific midi mode (weird as F)
It isn't weird at all. MIDI is not a priority for these companies anymore, which is why none of the bigger names (not even Elektron) will make a serious, dedicated MIDI sequencer... Approx 90% of people in the target market (electronic beats) do most things in the DAW and do not bother sequencing MIDI hardware, and rightly so. They sequence audio clips and soft synths in the DAW. The industry has decided that they cannot compete with software sequencers and that's not likely to change just yet. This is why only boutique companies are making hardware sequencers.. (Squid is more of a pattern generator than a full blown sequencer). . and even there most are reluctant to invest.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyfan View Post
No sample chopping for audio samples and I don’t think you can sequence your own samples. Looks like another dance machine. I’ve watched every video out so far, not one person showing sampling from an instrument into the audio inputs. It can’t be that hard to make a 8 stereo track real-time audio looper, can it? I was so pumped too. I should have known by the color scheme and design it wasn’t going to do what I needed.
BobEats showed sampling from internal and external sources.

Edit: They call it a Looper, but the sampling isn't live, if that's what you are looking for.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

A lot of guys on forums and in youtube (on comments section) complain about the prices of the MC 707 and MC 101, respectively. I think that especially the MC 101 it doesn’t have any serious competitor. At this price range what groove box you can get , the Circuit is a joke I bought it and I sold it after 1 month…the Korg Electribe 2 is even worst, not to mention the Electron Model: Samples which is a joke in front of this Roland MC 101.

If you sold the Circuit after a month you clearly did not really dig into it. Thats an extremely capable little machine. I can get how some won't gel with it. But regardless its far from being a joke. Especially if you've kept up with firmware updates, which you clearly didn't since you sold it so soon.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

man, all the youtube videos & no examples of the timestretching on beats and melodies or voice
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

The 707 is the most interesting of the products they just rolled out to me. I'm looking to condense my drum machine/sampler collection, so I will be watching this closely.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict
I'm not really interested in the 101 (already have an OP-Z) so much as the 707, as a mother brain for my gear that isn't Ableton (or unobtanium like Cirklons). Roland's sequencing has always been so dead simple to create with, even though my brain has been trained (broken?!) pretty well at Elektron style.

My hesitation is the screen UI which is not really appealing to me, but I can understand the reason for it due to UI constraints vs. actually working with the sounds.

I want to know if it'll have the cheesy rom data from the 303. Some of them were really fun, honestly!

I will say that I'm glad storage formats have settled down, and SD cards are the defacto method, and they seem to be sticking around a lot longer than PCMIA/SmartMedia/Zip drive garbo, but I guess in another 10-20 years we'll see.

I kind of want to get one and paint it silver like the older MC series...
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

The 707 is on my immediate list. That sound engine is gonna be crazy! It's like a TR8S on steroids!
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:

I think the Live and the MC are as different as previous MPCs v MCs.

The Live is way, way, deeper in terms of functionality and its OS, as well as its ability to be the front end of a hybrid software setup...The MC I imagine is more immediate, without playing both its very hard to say which is the better hardware experience. But I dont think theyre competitors..I bought my MPC to sample..like previous MCs this is not about sampling.

Ive owned many grooveboxes, none matched the Live, but this might make a great bedfellow
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

The MC 707 is more immediate than the Akai Live, as you said.

It’s not always about the possibilities and how deep is every one of these machines. To me the most important aspect is the workflow and how it can inspire you to make music. Otherwise, you can use your DAW, which is deep, and a controller to make your music, am I right?
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
The MC 707 is more immediate than the Akai Live, as you said.

It’s not always about the possibilities and how deep is every one of these machines. To me the most important aspect is the workflow and how it can inspire you to make music. Otherwise, you can use your DAW, which is deep, and a controller to make your music, am I right?
well not to get into an never ending GS discussion but the Live can be as feature full as you want it...Ive never touched the step sequencer or looper...thats where maybe an MC would come in. But the 707 cant play any of the 10 SRX cards I have fully sampled either, nor does it have round robin capabilities Im guessing. If you having owned the Live or an MC its harder to make comparisons, if you have and it didnt work for you I hope this does, I know it took me an age to end my groovebox quest
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyfan View Post
well yes it is a dance machine, what else would it be considering the manufacturer and particular lineage in discussion?

no chopping as of now but i think it is fair to expect it soon, you can seq: your own samples - you should probably rewatch vids slower if you are missing that detail, i expect if you keep your eyes open it will all flood out over the next day or so showing all features inc sampling internal and external audio which it can do - i am half sure the roland YT channels shows internal sampling in one of its vids

that or read the manual

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search