The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Roland MC-707 & MC-101 Grooveboxes
Old 28th May 2020
Gear Addict
The 101 is a great little sound box. I used to use it from my force and plan to pair it with my digitakt now. I too want the 707 for the power but the size and portability of the 101 is just so good. And I don’t need a 101, 707, and a fantom. That’s a lot of zenology sounds
Old 28th May 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0mega View Post
The 101 is a great little sound box. I used to use it from my force and plan to pair it with my digitakt now. I too want the 707 for the power but the size and portability of the 101 is just so good. And I don’t need a 101, 707, and a fantom. That’s a lot of zenology sounds
We just an editor or zenology to edit and import on 101.
Old 28th May 2020
Fresh ambient music, with a gentle breeze from Skyrim. Again made with just the Roland MC-101 and the Boss DD-8 and Boss
RV-6. Enjoy!

Old 28th May 2020
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wootson View Post
Fresh ambient music, with a gentle breeze from Skyrim. Again made with just the Roland MC-101 and the Boss DD-8 and Boss
RV-6. Enjoy!

Seeing your name on this thread is always an exciting part of this forum. Thanks for continuing to make fun songs with just this bad boy.
Old 28th May 2020
Gear Addict
Quote:
RV-6. Enjoy!

How are you tracking this out with the pedals + recording? Are you tracking out into daw directly per track? Are you just putting all of this through the pedals and then recording that as a single track?

Im curious what you can and cant get with the onboard effects that you keep using the pedals?
Old 29th May 2020
Gear Addict

Anyone have any videos of trap or hip hop using the 101? I’m still eyeing this.
Old 29th May 2020
Gear Maniac

Just pulled the trigger on an MC-707 for $750 second hand. I fell like that is a pretty good deal.

First off, the AKAI Force is my main sequencer.

I got the 707 to use as a synth module for the most part, and also to use some of it's interesting sequencing and drum sounds.

I have a few questions as I haven't been following the thread.

1) I see that it has an SH-101 style step sequencer. I just sold my recently purchased keystep pro to help fund this as it was at bit buggy and I just wasn't into it.
Can you input notes from a midi keyboard in step record mode and can you transpose the sequence from a midi keyboard?

2) Are all the drum sounds samples or are they VA synth based?

3) This is a bit of a loaded question. I also have an SH-01a and a JU-06a. How are they synth sounds on the mc-707 compared to someone who also has boutiques. Can you get that close to the original roland machines?

Thanks in advance!
Old 29th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuyLocs602 View Post
if you can imagine it, you can can do it on the 101. pretty much, can’t think of a scenario for trap or hip-hop where you’d run into something you couldn’t do. more or less. you’d have to edit/import your samples beforehand, but it can definitely handle old school “boom bap” hip-hop as well.

that said, i can’t believe there aren’t plenty of (or pretty much any?) examples of this on youtube.
Old 29th May 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuonacc View Post
if you can imagine it, you can can do it on the 101. pretty much, can’t think of a scenario for trap or hip-hop where you’d run into something you couldn’t do. more or less. you’d have to edit/import your samples beforehand, but it can definitely handle old school “boom bap” hip-hop as well.

that said, i can’t believe there aren’t plenty of (or pretty much any?) examples of this on youtube.
I appreciate your response. And yes of course I always have to remind myself just because even if every demo I find is EDM it doesn’t mean that it can’t do something else. And yes we need more videos and musical examples in other genres. I saw a video where a form of metal was made using it, which I though was very interesting!
Old 29th May 2020
Gear Addict
Quote:

Does it even flamenco bro?
Old 29th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Does it even flamenco bro?
well, i was talking about trap/hip-hop scenarios (i didn’t mean imagine just any music style, there’s plenty i’m sure it can’t do) but it might just flamenco a bit as well.
Old 29th May 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
I appreciate your response. And yes of course I always have to remind myself just because even if every demo I find is EDM it doesn’t mean that it can’t do something else. And yes we need more videos and musical examples in other genres. I saw a video where a form of metal was made using it, which I though was very interesting!
I just got my mc-101 a couple of days ago. I guess the best tip i can give you is that as far as i can tell most of the synth sounds are from the Juno and Jupiter synths from roland. Its a creative little box though. I found myself making a jazzy little piano based song with a fat EDM drum kit behind it yesterday so you can do whatever you want with it. Also the effects give you a lot of sound design possibilities.
Old 29th May 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
It would be a handy device for portable production esp if you make hiphop that uses a lot of synth and preset drums but not great for anything that uses a lot of samples as you cant sample direct into it on the 101. You could build up a library of sampled drums and sounds and copy them over to the sd card but you dont have the workflow of an MPC and the limited editing and tiny screen size would possibly be a big hindrance. The pads are also a bit basic compared to an MPC.

Now that zenology is available I think that using a laptop is a better idea if you just wanted the sounds of the 101 as they are all in the zenology package and are excellent quality but I still think you need other sounds from other sources.
Old 29th May 2020
Gear Addict
Quote:
well, i was talking about trap/hip-hop scenarios (i didn’t mean imagine just any music style, there’s plenty i’m sure it can’t do) but it might just flamenco a bit as well.
Sorry. Inside joke from force thread
Old 29th May 2020
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by grabme View Post
It would be a handy device for portable production esp if you make hiphop that uses a lot of synth and preset drums but not great for anything that uses a lot of samples as you cant sample direct into it on the 101. You could build up a library of sampled drums and sounds and copy them over to the sd card but you dont have the workflow of an MPC and the limited editing and tiny screen size would possibly be a big hindrance. The pads are also a bit basic compared to an MPC.

Now that zenology is available I think that using a laptop is a better idea if you just wanted the sounds of the 101 as they are all in the zenology package and are excellent quality but I still think you need other sounds from other sources.
I haven’t done it but I think you can sample from the usb audio interface (not class compliant) which isn’t too bad. You can audition sounds on the computer and just record the ones you want now on the fly. Could sample YouTube and records that way too. When mobile, how many new samples would you be making anyway?
Old 29th May 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
Haven't seen videos but when setting up my own set I stumbled on the LoFi Compressor and that got me jamming with some beats. It's like an overkill compressor that pushes any beat to sound like it's coming through a stack of old tube amps. Worked really well with some heavy beats.

However, I would recommend looking at the MPC One, it will be a lot less painful for sampling and making loops.
Old 29th May 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
RV-6. Enjoy!

Thanks a lot for your contribution to this thread. Very nice and inspiring ambient music!
You are the proof that they don't exist metalhead guitars, jazzist bass, DJ toys...that the musical style is determined by the musician, and not by the gear.
Old 29th May 2020
Quote:
Seeing your name on this thread is always an exciting part of this forum. Thanks for continuing to make fun songs with just this bad boy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by loziodavid View Post
Thanks a lot for your contribution to this thread. Very nice and inspiring ambient music!
You are the proof that they don't exist metalhead guitars, jazzist bass, DJ toys...that the musical style is determined by the musician, and not by the gear.
I take great pleasure in making music with the Roland MC-101, and reading the comments afterwards. I'm also quite surprised at how well these tracks are received in regards to the play and download counts.

Quote:
How are you tracking this out with the pedals + recording? Are you tracking out into daw directly per track? Are you just putting all of this through the pedals and then recording that as a single track?

Im curious what you can and cant get with the onboard effects that you keep using the pedals?
The Roland MC-101's main stereo outputs are directly connected to the stereo inputs of the Boss DD-8. Then from the Boss DD-8 stereo outputs into the Boss RV-6 stereo inputs, and from the Boss RV-6 stereo outputs into the Yamaha MG06 stereo inputs (mono channels 1 and 2, which are combined to create a stereo channel). Finally from the Yamaha MG06 stereo outputs into the Olympus LS-P4 recorder (also stereo, via mini-jack). I just set up the Roland MC-101 with four tracks running at the same time. Everything is recorded in one take, no overdubbing. Although overdubbing is technically possible on the Olympus LS-P4. In the end there is just one stereo track that I import on my PC via the USB connection of the Olympus LS-P4. The track is then cut to a specific length with Sony Sound Forge Audio Studio. This program also takes care of the fade-in and fade-out process. At the moment I'm also trying some automated mastering things with iZotope Ozone 9. Not sure yet if I'm going to keep using that: the results are there, but it's not really a difference that is worth paying $250 for.

For the track "Somewhere in Skyrim", the Boss DD-8 was providing a Reverse delay and the Boss RV-6 was providing a Dynamic reverb (works great with lower volumes and occasional volume peaks). The Roland MC-101 has quite a lot of effects on board, including various delay and reverb settings. These are all very usable and nobody has to be ashamed of using them. It's certainly not the case that people need to run to the stores to buy these pedals, but they do provide a few effect types that are not on the Roland MC-101. This effect pedal combo will also cost an additional $400 or something, including the original Boss adapters. I already used these pedals for some time, so getting this combo sounding in my preferred way is easier than dialing in everything on the Roland MC-101. There is also a wide stereo option on the Boss DD-8, which I'm quite a fan of. So for me, it's a matter of taste in combination with ease of use.
Old 29th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
The Roland MC-101's main stereo outputs are directly connected to the stereo inputs of the Boss DD-8. Then from the Boss DD-8 stereo outputs into the Boss RV-6 stereo inputs, and from the Boss RV-6 stereo outputs into the Yamaha MG06 stereo inputs (mono channels 1 and 2, which are combined to create a stereo channel). Finally from the Yamaha MG06 stereo outputs into the Olympus LS-P4 recorder (also stereo, via mini-jack). I just set up the Roland MC-101 with four tracks running at the same time. Everything is recorded in one take, no overdubbing. Although overdubbing is technically possible on the Olympus LS-P4. In the end there is just one stereo track that I import on my PC via the USB connection of the Olympus LS-P4. The track is then cut to a specific length with Sony Sound Forge Audio Studio. This program also takes care of the fade-in and fade-out process. At the moment I'm also trying some automated mastering things with iZotope Ozone 9. Not sure yet if I'm going to keep using that: the results are there, but it's not really a difference that is worth paying $250 for.

For the track "Somewhere in Skyrim", the Boss DD-8 was providing a Reverse delay and the Boss RV-6 was providing a Dynamic reverb (works great with lower volumes and occasional volume peaks). The Roland MC-101 has quite a lot of effects on board, including various delay and reverb settings. These are all very usable and nobody has to be ashamed of using them. It's certainly not the case that people need to run to the stores to buy these pedals, but they do provide a few effect types that are not on the Roland MC-101. This effect pedal combo will also cost an additional $400 or something, including the original Boss adapters. I already used these pedals for some time, so getting this combo sounding in my preferred way is easier than dialing in everything on the Roland MC-101. There is also a wide stereo option on the Boss DD-8, which I'm quite a fan of. So for me, it's a matter of taste in combination with ease of use.
But this way you can only apply ALL effects on ALL sounds? Why don't you use the send/returns and/or the assignable outs?
Old 29th May 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPrinsen View Post
But this way you can only apply ALL effects on ALL sounds? Why don't you use the send/returns and/or the assignable outs?
I strongly prefer to not use a DAW. So recording everything track by track, and applying effects per track, is out of the question. The Roland MC-101 also has no assignable outputs, only two mono jack plugs and a stereo mini-jack. The Yamaha MG06 also has no stereo send and returns. And if I would want such an option, I need to buy a bigger and more expensive mixer in the range of 250 to 300 euros (new). My desk space is also limited, so I prefer to not go this route with a new mixer. Overdubbing with the Olympus LS-P4 is still possible though, so it's not a huge problem for me.

Of course I could buy a Roland MC-707 and re-arrange my setup. I would then sell the Roland MC-101 and the Akai XR20. This is something to think about, but not really mandatory.
Old 29th May 2020
Lives for gear

Ah my bad, thought you had the 707
Old 29th May 2020
Gear Addict
The lack of class compliant usb audio on devices these days is really a bummer. mc-101 (and mc-707), fantom 8, and digitakt are the ones currently frustrating me. The reason is, I can imagine a really sweet mixer that just takes in USB instead of analog. This would be easy to prototype using a raspi & a controller. Being able to do sends and receives would be amazing and it wouldn't cost too much to make.
Old 29th May 2020
Gear Addict
Quote:
I strongly prefer to not use a DAW. So recording everything track by track, and applying effects per track, is out of the question. The Roland MC-101 also has no assignable outputs, only two mono jack plugs and a stereo mini-jack. The Yamaha MG06 also has no stereo send and returns. And if I would want such an option, I need to buy a bigger and more expensive mixer in the range of 250 to 300 euros (new). My desk space is also limited, so I prefer to not go this route with a new mixer. Overdubbing with the Olympus LS-P4 is still possible though, so it's not a huge problem for me.

Of course I could buy a Roland MC-707 and re-arrange my setup. I would then sell the Roland MC-101 and the Akai XR20. This is something to think about, but not really mandatory.
This all makes sense. Running the raw out through the delay/reverb was my big question.

I was going to suggest trying to run this all through a daw per track because I think it would make your mixing/mastering much tighter (and of course make it easy to fix up any mistakes) but you're doing a great job as it is so just roll with it. Thanks again for the great distractions from the slutz drama
Old 29th May 2020
In order to clarify some things, here is my current music studio setup (not 100% accurate in terms of gear size):

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/atta...1&d=1590769742

MIDI cables are red.
Audio cables are green.

Roland MC-101 is MIDI channel 1 to 4.
Akai XR20 "DRUM" sequence lane: MIDI channel 12, sequencing the Korg Volca Beats.
Akai XR20 "1SHOT" sequence lane: MIDI channel 11, sequencing the Korg Volca Sample.

More MIDI info in this post: Volca (sample) firmware hack?
Attached Thumbnails
Roland MC-707 & MC-101 Grooveboxes-wootsons-music-studio.jpg  
Old 29th May 2020
Gear Addict
Quote:
In order to clarify some things, here is my current music studio setup (not 100% accurate in terms of gear size):

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/atta...sic-studio.jpg

MIDI cables are red.
Audio cables are green.

Roland MC-101 is MIDI channel 1 to 4.
Akai XR20 "DRUM" sequence lane: MIDI channel 12, sequencing the Korg Volca Beats.
Akai XR20 "1SHOT" sequence lane: MIDI channel 11, sequencing the Korg Volca Sample.

More MIDI info in this post: Volca (sample) firmware hack?
Nice. Well my setup cost so much more than that and I'm 1/20th as good as you are

Goes to show its not the tool...
Old 29th May 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonsaipanda View Post
Haven't seen videos but when setting up my own set I stumbled on the LoFi Compressor and that got me jamming with some beats. It's like an overkill compressor that pushes any beat to sound like it's coming through a stack of old tube amps. Worked really well with some heavy beats.

However, I would recommend looking at the MPC One, it will be a lot less painful for sampling and making loops.
the “LoFi Compressor” is an internal effect on the mc101? As for the Mpc one, I already have the MPC Live. I was just thinking of using the partially as a sound module for the Akai but also having the flexibility of using it for even more portable situations where the Live is a little too bulky for. Although workflow for the live is second to none sometimes I want something even smaller as a scratch pad.
Old 29th May 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
the “LoFi Compressor” is an internal effect on the mc101? As for the Mpc one, I already have the MPC Live. I was just thinking of using the partially as a sound module for the Akai but also having the flexibility of using it for even more portable situations where the Live is a little too bulky for. Although workflow for the live is second to none sometimes I want something even smaller as a scratch pad.
Yes, it's a master effect in the 101/707, has a nice character.

Excellent, 101 makes a nice pair with the Live, I use it to get those tasty retro synth sounds.
Old 29th May 2020
Lives for gear

Has anyone got both 707 and 101?

Presumably you could make synth patches , save them within track 1 to 4 clips and then import into 101 ?

A bit overkill but at this point the only way to add your own ‘original’ sounds

I’m still exploring the built in sounds , quite varied and classic.
Some vocal sounds I’d never use , but sone nice pads / leads and bass sounds
Drums are punchy too.
Old 30th May 2020
Lives for gear
If so many people only use the MC101 as a sound module, which would also be attractive to me, why doesn't Roland release a pure sound module with pure ZEN technology?

Probably because it would be more obvious that these boxes are all the same and
you only need all of them because of the different features that are accessible.

best regards

PS: I think I don't like the way of Roland
Economically, it makes total sense.
Old 30th May 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behrmoog View Post
If so many people only use the MC101 as a sound module, which would also be attractive to me, why doesn't Roland release a pure sound module with pure ZEN technology?
MC-101 *is* a sound module running a ZEN-Core sound engine. It's only difference with the Jupiter-X is that the X uses 4 CPU cores and the MC-101 has only one.

The whole concept behind the "ZEN-Core" is that you can create (and or edit) patches on a ZEN-Core -compatible device and exchange those patches between other ZEN-Core compatible devices.

Say you have made a song in Ableton using the Zenology VST (or Juno-6, Jupiter-8, VST or real) and you have a live gig coming up and you want to perform it on stage with live gear - but you want to keep your gear set minimal and you don't want to use your laptop - you can port over your MIDI to a sequencer, then port the synth patches to smaller ZEN-Core sound modules and have them perform the song instead of just playing it from Ableton's timeline.

That is just one scenario. IMHO, the whole ZEN-Core concept is brilliant, because it really doesn't matter what you use to create the synth patches - be it a subscription from the Roland Cloud, a synth, a 3rd party ZC Editor etc - it's the patches that matter and they will go with you where ever future software or hardware development will take us and they will most likely work in future hardware releases from Roland.

I might also be wrong and they might just abandon it after 4 years. We shall see.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear