The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Roland MC-707 & MC-101 Grooveboxes
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Just got one and have to say, I am impressed!!
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nacnud View Post
You are the reason I bought a MC101. Love your work.
I'm pleased to hear this, to be of inspiration to others. Have fun with your MC-101.

By the way, today I did a live session with the Korg Volca Beats and the Roland MC-101, featuring nineties oriented electronic dance music. iZotope Ozone 9 was used for mastering. Will put the video up on YouTube somewhere this week.

Old 5 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPrinsen View Post
Just got one and have to say, I am impressed!!
Great.
I have an mc101 since 3 months and the more I use it, the more I am impressed.
The effects and synth sounds are just majestic and the sequencer has great tricks for live.
thinking to upgrade to 707 when prices drop a bit.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MpcMc View Post
Great.
I have an mc101 since 3 months and the more I use it, the more I am impressed.
The effects and synth sounds are just majestic and the sequencer has great tricks for live.
thinking to upgrade to 707 when prices drop a bit.
I think it is definitely worth upgrading. I got the 707 and the screen and the in depth editing is just massive. The possibilities are almost endless! Love it that it can be used as a sequencer and mixer (with built in fx) for up to 4 mono or 2 stereo instruments as well. This thing is awesome for live performing! No need for lots of external fx, a big chunky mixer, a standalone sequencer, etc etc. Its all in this box!
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Btw, is it possible to use an empty drum track to sequence an external drum machine via midi as well? Can you specify which note on each pad? Will try tomorrow, but maybe some of you already did?
Old 5 days ago
Quote:
Btw, is it possible to use an empty drum track to sequence an external drum machine via midi as well? Can you specify which note on each pad? Will try tomorrow, but maybe some of you already did?
Yes, doing it with a TR-8S. Only thing I noticed was the default velocity of the 707 was 100 per note and I believe the tr-8s defaults to 80 for a full note. So, you may notice different hit intensity using the 707 vs native drum machine.
Old 4 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by skqurl View Post
Yes, doing it with a TR-8S. Only thing I noticed was the default velocity of the 707 was 100 per note and I believe the tr-8s defaults to 80 for a full note. So, you may notice different hit intensity using the 707 vs native drum machine.
You could set up the pads on the MC-707 to have a fixed velocity of 80 to match the TR-8S. You can also set the input velocity for drum tracks to 80 when using TR-REC to input drum steps.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Awesome thnx!!
Old 4 days ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiphoop View Post
Is it possible to have different patches in the same track but on different rows? Im trying to make a liveset with 16 rows, each row as an independent track, but I think its not possible. If you choose a kit for track 1 you have to use that kit for that track for all 16 rows. Is that possible?
I found how to load different patches/drum kits in the 8x16 clip matrix arrange. Its easy: SHIFT+SEL and the Track Preference menu appears. In general tab, Select CLIP as track source (TRACK is selected by default).

Now you can select with SHIFT+SOUND any patch/kit to any clip.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

I found a setting that enables the MC-707 to send program changes. This works, but is there a way to set the program change number anywhere? Can't find it. Currently the MC-707 is just sending Program Change 1 for clip 1 and Program Change 2 for clip 2 etc. Obviously, I'd like to set the right number, otherwise it is pretty useless..
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

One more question:

Is it possible to route 2 different mono tracks through the send and return? Also, is it possible to route reverb and delay POST return? Right now the original track is sent to both the reverb/delay and the send, then the return signal is sent to the corresponding track (dry, but obviously with the external effect applied). I'd like to send it to the reverb/delay AFTER the external effect is applied.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
but is there a way to set the program change number anywhere?

No, that's not possible : facepalm:
I hope in a next update...
Old 4 days ago
Gear Head

Quote:
One more question:

Is it possible to route 2 different mono tracks through the send and return? Also, is it possible to route reverb and delay POST return? Right now the original track is sent to both the reverb/delay and the send, then the return signal is sent to the corresponding track (dry, but obviously with the external effect applied). I'd like to send it to the reverb/delay AFTER the external effect is applied.
@38:07->
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasid303 View Post
No, that's not possible : facepalm:
I hope in a next update...
Wow that’s weird!! I hope so too.. pretty essential in a DAWless live situation..

I think Roland said there will be a new update for both MC’s in Q4, isn’t it? Hope it will be included...
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Wow that’s weird!! I hope so too.. pretty essential in a DAWless live situation..

I think Roland said there will be a new update for both MC’s in Q4, isn’t it? Hope it will be included...
Q4??? So far away, really?
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiphoop View Post
@38:07->
Seen that vid, but I’m trying to send an internal sound out and back into the same track, using the send/returns. This works for 1 (stereo) track, but I’m trying to do this for 2 mono tracks.

The video explains how to route an audio input to a track, that’s more for adding external synths etc, which is not what I’m trying.

I guess what I want is just not possible. I can probably do it by sending the internal sound out through the assignable outputs and then back in without routing it to a track at all.
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
I think Roland said there will be a new update for both MC’s in Q4 ...
Original plan was having a new update in Q2 (now), which would also possibly include the editor for PC, but the quarantine thingy has probably moved all the plans ahead by at least 6 months. We shall see.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Seen that vid, but I’m trying to send an internal sound out and back into the same track, using the send/returns. This works for 1 (stereo) track, but I’m trying to do this for 2 mono tracks.
what about [shift] + [input] and switching the 'Ext In' to MONO? you can also do this for the Send/Return in the same menu. (on pg. 53 of the Reference Manual)

not sure if this just does the same as it's shown in the video (??).
Old 4 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonsaipanda View Post
Original plan was having a new update in Q2 (now), which would also possibly include the editor for PC, but the quarantine thingy has probably moved all the plans ahead by at least 6 months. We shall see.
Pc editor for mc101?
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuonacc View Post
what about [shift] + [input] and switching the 'Ext In' to MONO? you can also do this for the Send/Return in the same menu. (on pg. 53 of the Reference Manual)

not sure if this just does the same as it's shown in the video (??).
Tried this, but doesn’t work. You can still only select 1 track as send/return source/destination, even when both the send and return is switched to mono.

I guess it just isn’t possible.

I guess I can workaround it by using the assignable outputs instead of the sends and pan one sound hard to the left and 1 another hard to the right and use the external inputs instead of the returns. But I will lose the ability to use the built in Delay/Reverb sends..
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

yo yo yo ...!

1. Still I don’t get this: can anybody confirm: what is the TOTAL time limit in looper track for loaded clips/loops? Is it 60sec x 16 slots or is it 60secs divided over the 16slots??

And if importing waws from SD card, same limit applies? Or can you import longer waws?

2. Also, in a Tone Track, can you somehow create a multi sampled instrument ? For example I’m thinking, since you get 4 oscillators, could you create key splits so each oscillator plays only a certain key range? Or are there any other workarounds? Is there any way to get velocity switching or similar? Either in Tone Track or drums, can you create velocity layered drum kits for example?
Old 4 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorenzop View Post
yo yo yo ...!

1. Still I don’t get this: can anybody confirm: what is the TOTAL time limit in looper track for loaded clips/loops? Is it 60sec x 16 slots or is it 60secs divided over the 16slots??

And if importing waws from SD card, same limit applies? Or can you import longer waws?
From the specs on the website:
* Available total time for User Sample: 12 minutes in mono, 6 minutes in stereo (44.1 kHz)
* Available format of User Sample: WAV 32–96 kHz/16-bit, 24-bit (mono, stereo)

* Available total time for Looper Sample: Approx. 60 sec (44.1 kHz)
* Available format of Looper Sample: WAV 44.1 kHz/16-bit, 24-bit, 32-bit, 32-bit float (mono, stereo)

Quote:
2. Also, in a Tone Track, can you somehow create a multi sampled instrument ? For example I’m thinking, since you get 4 oscillators, could you create key splits so each oscillator plays only a certain key range? Or are there any other workarounds? Is there any way to get velocity switching or similar? Either in Tone Track or drums, can you create velocity layered drum kits for example?
You can load 4 wavs into 4 oscillators, but I don't know of precise ways to do key mapping on them. I mean, even the Fantom isn't doing user multisampling yet. May come in another update, but not really practical right now.
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MpcMc View Post
Pc editor for mc101?
Yes, but I don't know to what extent the editing goes. The sparse details are on Roland's page.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonsaipanda View Post
Yes, but I don't know to what extent the editing goes. The sparse details are on Roland's page.
One doesn't exist yet. Editing on the 101 is pretty limited.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppgwave View Post
From the specs on the website:
* Available total time for User Sample: 12 minutes in mono, 6 minutes in stereo (44.1 kHz)
* Available format of User Sample: WAV 32–96 kHz/16-bit, 24-bit (mono, stereo)

* Available total time for Looper Sample: Approx. 60 sec (44.1 kHz)
* Available format of Looper Sample: WAV 44.1 kHz/16-bit, 24-bit, 32-bit, 32-bit float (mono, stereo)

You can load 4 wavs into 4 oscillators, but I don't know of precise ways to do key mapping on them. I mean, even the Fantom isn't doing user multisampling yet. May come in another update, but not really practical right now.
Thanks but that still doesnt clearly answer if it is 60 sec x 16 slots or 60 total divided over 16 slots !
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorenzop View Post
Thanks but that still doesnt clearly answer if it is 60 sec x 16 slots or 60 total divided over 16 slots !
60 total divided over 16 slots
Old 3 days ago
Gear Maniac

This machine is perfect for Raster-Noton type of music...
Old 3 days ago
Here for the gear
Thinking of upgrading to a 707... Has anyone found a way to use it with an external power bank? If yes, please tell me what battery and cable are used for it to work! And as a bonus, how much running time you get out of a single charge?
Old 3 days ago
Gear Maniac

I think Tarekith asked this question long time ago, and there was no response.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaNuk View Post
Thinking of upgrading to a 707... Has anyone found a way to use it with an external power bank? If yes, please tell me what battery and cable are used for it to work! And as a bonus, how much running time you get out of a single charge?
Sorry I don't have time to link it right now but check out the 707/101 Facebook page
Ripcord make the cable

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search